Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

FA WR market is barren

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Exactly. Many of the posters that are hating on this move have ZERO solutions to the WR situation better than Enunwa. It's just a collection of whiners. 

We can still sign Tate. We can still draft a WR early. 

Signing Enunwa  just gives us a solid 1/2 punch at WR. It's a good floor at WR. No one here is suggesting we just locked up the next Julio Jones. 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who cares? WR talent transcends QB play. DeAndre Hopkins has 1,500 yards in 2015 with Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, T.J. Yates, and Ryan Mallett as his QB. 

Enunwa was a solid late round pick (not by Macc) and he’s a solid role player on a decent offense but he’s not healthy enough ever to earn the contract he got. Period. 

:rl:

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So for those of you who think he's not worth the contract, what do you think he would get in FA? What FA WR would you replace him with and with what type of contract?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious what your thoughts are here.

From my previous post. This is what marginal WRs got last year in FA. No reason to think Enunwa would get less than these guys that have all done nothing this year:

Michael Crabtree signed a 3/21 contract with the Ravens. 

Donte Moncrief got 1/9.6 million deal. 

Albert Wilson got 3/24. 

Paul Richardson got 5/40. 

Enunwa 4/36 is very reasonable.

17 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

It is a risk. On the flip side Anderson hasnt done much this season outside the last 3 weeks but clearly is making progress with Darnold. Tough call that I lucky dont have to make 

He was coming on before his injury slowed him down earlier in the season. The bigger point though is that this extension sets the market for this weak FA WR class before negotiation even begins. $20M guaranteed is the minimum and even worse based on who’s available it’s possible Anderson is the crown jewel FA, if his agent knows that, we’re in a bad spot.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, the great GMs always pay for what a guy did 8 years ago. Definitely a recipe for success.

Crabtree is trash. He leads the league in drops every year. If Macc brought him in, you would consider him a bust of a FA signing. 

Graham's body is broken down. He is old. You aren't getting the pro bowl version of Graham. The Packers learned that this year.  You would know if you followed the NFL outside of the Jets bubble you live in. 

The Jets bubble I live in? Crabtree had a 1,000 yard season in 2016. Graham had 10 touchdowns in 2017. Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself now.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wut? Enunwa's risk of serious further injury was gone.

This is a player that should have been extended 2 years ago, with the guaranteed portion of it already over by now. Two years ago, back when people were praising Maccagnan for not extending him because of an eventual preseason injury. 

Instead he extends him anyway and we pay full UFA price by waiting until the team had no leverage. Again.

$9MM/year with $20MM guaranteed for Enunwa. Happy for him to cash in, but lol.

This is the reason why the Jets suck year in and year out. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets bubble I live in? Crabtree had a 1,000 yard season in 2016. Graham had 10 touchdowns in 2017. Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself now.

Did you not follow football this year? Again you're a fool if you think paying old players for past performance is a good idea.

Care to tell me how Crabtree and Graham did this year? 

Going to guess you'll ignore this question.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Quincy Enunwa healthy is a BEAST 

We still need a #1 WR 

Mike Maccagnan is staying and he will get an opportunity to pick his HC 

1 - Is he though? A beast? He’s a complimentary piece at best. He’s not a focal point of an offense. 

2 - Of course. That was true even if they brought back Enunwa and Robbie. 

3 - That’s a massive mistake. I don’t think he’ll get to pick the coach either. The Johnson’s are not changing the structure of the team. Now, I’m doubting Bowles is even gone. You don’t re-sign players if you’re hiring a new coach without consulting said coach. Q might not be a good fit in the next system. So. That all remains to be seen. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Did you not follow football this year? Again you're a fool if you think paying old players for past performance is a good idea.

Care to tell me how Crabtree and Graham did this year? 

Going to guess you'll ignore this question.

Again, as I said previously, other teams making mistakes doesn’t mean it’s okay for the Jets to. And teams always pay for past performance. That’s how it works. Paying Q for “future performance” doesn’t make sense in this construct because he’s not a healthy player and there’s no telling what his trajectory is other than borderline JAG. 

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets are gonna be big players in free agency this year and, as a result, unlikely to be awarded any comp picks. And really, Enunwa at $9M/year is probably a lot more valuable than a fifth round comp pick in 2020. 

I'll sweat the injury guarantee when I see the details. When contracts are first announced, they always sound bloated. 

Too early to tell on the comp picks. Yes they figure to be big players in FA, but that was said last year and the year before that as well. Plus the team is potentially losing a lot of FAs (obviously Enunwa isn't one of them anymore). They could spend big on a couple players cut by other teams or trading for someone and then extending him. They still have a half dozen starters & borderline starters yet who are becoming full UFAs: McCown, Claiborne, Skrine, Carpenter, Kearse, Powell, McLendon, Anderson, etc.

• McCown should be let go, if he doesn't retire.
  • Claiborne I'd let go of also. 
  • Skrine definitely let go.
  • Carpenter definitely let go.
  • Kearse definitely let go.
  • Powell I might be ok bringing back but I sure wouldn't be in any hurry. However I do like having a veteran 3rd down back for Darnold, and one who's a good and willing blocker at that. Plus he wouldn't get paid much at his age. I wouldn't bypass more than a 7th round comp pick to re-sign him; losing him may be more valuable to not cancel out a lost FA elsewhere. Also would depend greatly on how they do in the L.Bell sweepstakes, and if they do get him, whether they still keep the $4MM Crowell or if we can move him for a pick. Neither of our 2 young backs excite me very much yet.
  • McLendon meh. I'd be ok bringing him back with the hopes a younger player overtakes him, but I wouldn't give up a pick to rent him for a little longer. Still, it's good to have veterans in the locker room despite the whippersnappers' views that everyone is near death upon turning 30, lol. 
  • Anderson should be extended, but he may want to test FA. He won't be $2MM with $0 guaranteed.
  • Ijalana isn't worth bypassing any draft pick. He won't get a big contract from anyone but it's possible he gets more than the veteran minimum which is enough to qualify.

I'd say they could still be in line for about 1-2 comp picks, but too early to tell yet depending on the type of new players they pick up. We might pick up a bunch of depth players above the veteran minimum, but we could lose a bunch of those as well (Ijalana, Martin, Qvale maybe, Harrison, maybe Miles, and others). 

20 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

We’re locked into spending in a year the cap goes up and the FA pool blows. 

This most probably isn’t going to be the worst overpay we do. 

I agree. That's the problem with having too much cap room by drawing unnecessary lines in the sand the prior 2 offseasons. You can't be as choosy where it gets spent because now you're limited to available players from a smaller number of FA pools. 

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

This is the reason why the Jets suck year in and year out. 

I think it's more than that, but this doesn't help, lol.

In early 2012 would Maccagnan have had the foresight to extend Antonio Brown at $8.5MM until 2017, or would he have waited until after the 2014 season to make the same player an offer at nearly double that amount? 

We all know the answer.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

1 - Is he though? A beast? He’s a complimentary piece at best. He’s not a focal point of an offense.

Considering the QB's he's played with up until we drafted Sam Darnold theres a very good possibility Quincy Enunwa will be a better player with Sam Darnold. 

37 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm not excited about extending Enunwa for that amount. Another move that will be regretted by the hack Mac. I'd rather have extend Robby.

Should have been a short deal. This money should have gone to Robby.

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Anderson should of been first. 

Agree. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

3 - That’s a massive mistake. I don’t think he’ll get to pick the coach either. The Johnson’s are not changing the structure of the team. Now, I’m doubting Bowles is even gone. You don’t re-sign players if you’re hiring a new coach without consulting said coach. Q might not be a good fit in the next system. So. That all remains to be seen. 

So are you saying Carl that Todd Bowles doesn't get fired? 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

So are you saying Carl that Todd Bowles doesn't get fired? 

I’m saying this signing could make it possible that he doesn’t. I think he’s gone but he did just get extended last season. I just don’t see a GM signing a WR to this contract without knowing who the coach is next season. 

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be outraged over keeping Enunwa for 4 years, 36 million when half of you b*tching about it right now were advocating for giving him no more than 8-9 million a couple of weeks ago. When the rumors came out and I said that I love Q, but those are the only numbers I was comfortable with, given his injury history and how much money he was poised to make on the open market due to WR demand and the CAP increasing, I was given plenty of positive rep, and pretty much everyone agreed that a salary like that is the only one that they would be comfortable with as well.  One particular person complaining in this thread said that it is exactly what Maccagnan should do, but won't do, given his history.  Now that person, and many others, are crying about doing exactly what they wanted Maccagnan to do with him. 

This means nothing when it comes to Anderson too.  He has played significantly better lately, but needs to prove he can be more consistent and also stay out of trouble for one whole off-season.  He was never getting a long-term deal over the tender.

Overall, I still dislike Maccagnan, but keeping a great guy in the locker room, who has just had a horrible run of bad luck with injuries this season, who is extremely versatile, is Sam's favorite WR when he's on the field, below what the going rate is for WRs (10-14 million), price-wise, is not something I am going to complain about.  Also, put Quincy in LA's offense, or just about any other offense that actually schemes their WRs wide open, not only will he put up monster numbers, he'll take less big hits and, likely, stay healthy.

Q got a few more million than I thought he would after this latest injury riddled season, but not by much. Shave off 5 mill on the guarantees and maybe 2 million less a year and that's what I'd say he's worth after this season. He plays with the speed and body control of a top 10-15 WR when he's healthy. The trouble is that isn't very often.

He's fortunate to cash in under these circumstances. He's on a team that has a rookie QB on a cheap deal that's in desperate need of some kind of offensive weapons because it hasn't drafted a WR better than him since he came out and is looking at a barren wasteland of a WR market in free agency. This was the perfect storm for a guy like him to get top 15 guaranteed cash. (Which is exactly what he just received)

BTW, I'm not certain they could have gotten him two years earlier, his agent probably wouldn't have settled on a cheap but fair deal after one breakout year, in circumstances like that you bet on yourself. And that bet paid off despite missing a year.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m saying this signing could make it possible that he doesn’t. I think he’s gone but he did just get extended last season. I just don’t see a GM signing a WR to this contract without knowing who the coach is next season. 

Considering this team has no other decent WR's besides Quincy and Robbie on the roster its a no brainer to re-sign him is the way I see it. 

Quincy has been a solid player for us when healthy. 

Todd Bowles or not no GM could restock the entire WR corps off season. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

He hasn't had the opportunities with the loser re-tread QB carousel here thats all different now. 

Quincy healthy comes to play. 

Agreed. And it will be interesting to see what happens to Gronk as well. Another oft injured player, although he has more of a history who when healthy can dominate. 

Jets fans: "Keeping Quincy is a bad idea because he can't seem to stay healthy and his production has taken a hit".

Also Jets fans: "Hey guys, I think we should take a gamble on Devante Parker and sign him for 10-12 million".

Archived