Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

McCagnan is most definitely staying.  Is this contract maybe a little too rich, and maybe a year {or two} too long,  maybe.  This much is true.  On a team with far too many "quitters",  fools and prima donnas it is refreshing to have a player who plays hard, with passion, and WANTS to be here.  I'll take that  any time over the cast  of  "cowards" that dominate this teams roster. Players who take games, SEASONS. off, run from contact, disappear during, after, and sometimes before games, and have contracts, or aspire to get paid a lot more than this. We all know who I'm referring to,   Maybe this signals a change in  the kind of player that "Management" wants here now and in the future.  If that's the case,  {barring injury}  I'm in.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

you gotta love the way enunwa plays but the guy hasn't played a full season forever.  36 m over 4 years is near no.1 receiver pay.  here's to hoping he can stay on the field.

No way is that near number 1 WR money. Not even close.

Landry signed for 75m over 5 yrs. No 1 WRs will be getting $15+ and elite WRs will be getting close to $20m.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The most important ability is availability.

And we just handed a guy who can't stay on the field $20 million in injury guarantees. 

Wow. 

That would have been like giving Ricky Williams a marijuana suspension guarantee. 

You don't even know how the contract is structured to even judge it. It could be structured in a way that $5 million each season gets guaranteed if he passes his physical each year. Which means the full $20 million isn't guaranteed from year 1. You have no idea but please overreact.

While it's a little more than I was hoping for (and I agree the contract structure will play heavily in how good or bad this looks in the end), I think the key point is that this should have absolutely no impact on how the Jets look to address the WR position this offseason, in FA and/or the draft.  There is still a glaring need for a #1 WR.  Enunwa is a quality player, but ideally he should be slotted in as their #3 guy, while Anderson is their #2.

Even with that, they should still be looking for further quality depth as injuries of course are always a real concern, and it's become extremely common in today's NFL for team's to have 4+ real contributors at the WR position.  Obviously that depth guy isn't going to be a starter-quality player, but this year the only guy who has done anything at WR beyond Anderson and Enunwa was Kearse, who has only looked better the past couple of weeks and is near guaranteed to be a goner.  That's simply not good enough.

I guess some of you people don't remember that Sammy Watkins got $16 million per year last year in FA with a similar injury history right? Some of you don't think Enunwa wouldn't have gotten at least $9 million per in FA and it just shows your lack of understanding the current market. 

And that injury guarantee means very little if it's not all guaranteed up front, which it's likely not and more likely to be 4 individual guarantees. 1 for every season.

58 minutes ago, slats said:

Players have to sign somewhere else in order to figure in the comp pick formula. I see a couple guys out of the league up there if the Jets don't resign them. I don't really see anyone on this list, outside of maybe a resurgent Henry Anderson (who I agree, the Jets should retain), that might net anything more than a fourth or fifth round comp pick. 

But I still just simply think that they'll be signing more FAs than they lose. What is it? $120M in cap space now? New coach coming in, they're gonna spend a ton to put that new coach in the best possible position to win right away - whether it's Mac's hand-picked coach, or that coach is Mac's new boss. They're going to be big-time buyers. 

That's why I was wondering if Ijalana and our other backups would get picked up for the minimum, picked up for more than that (even if backup-level), or yes possible that even though we were paying them millions each someone else might not want them at all.

Also I think you're overlooking the next team to pay Josh McCown in the 9 figure/year range. Silly you.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Idzik drafted 4 olineman in 2 drafts.  Two of them who are still with the team.  Idzik had bad drafts but at least he had a clue about trying to build a team evenly.

Which explains why he left a roster without any talent on him when he was mercifully fired. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which explains why he left a roster without any talent on him when he was mercifully fired. 

After 4 years the jets roster is pretty close to being as bad as after idzik other than finding qb in year 4 that you had to traade 3 2nd rounders to get.

Idzik 8-8, 4-12

Mac 10 wins, 5 wins 5 wins, probably 4 wins

Idzik sucked at drafting Mac sucks at drafting and team planning

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

1 - Is he though? A beast? He’s a complimentary piece at best. He’s not a focal point of an offense. 

2 - Of course. That was true even if they brought back Enunwa and Robbie. 

3 - That’s a massive mistake. I don’t think he’ll get to pick the coach either. The Johnson’s are not changing the structure of the team. Now, I’m doubting Bowles is even gone. You don’t re-sign players if you’re hiring a new coach without consulting said coach. Q might not be a good fit in the next system. So. That all remains to be seen. 

You don't pay a WR $9 million and think he's going to be the focal point of your offense. Those WR's get paid $14-$18 million not $9 million. $9 million in today's market will get you a #2/#3 WR. And that's what Enunwa is. They're going to pay Bell and that's who will be the focal point of the offense. You obviously have zero understanding of the WR market. Go do some research. Your hot takes are making me dumber.

Jets smart to lock up Sam Darnold's favorite target in Quincy Enunwa

Darnold, Enunwa developed chemistry quickly this season

By Ralph Vacchiano | 2:52PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
snyf_2521544583_th_48.jpg
Enunwa on why he signed new deal00:00:55
Quincy Enunwa explains why he signed a new deal with the Jets, as he's excited about the future of the team with QB Sam Darnold.

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.pngRalph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Sam Darnold hasn't had many weapons to work with in the Jets' offense, but he did have one receiver he relied on in big spots. When Quincy Enunwawas healthy, he was the 21-year-old's go-to guy when he needed a play to be made.

That's why it was so smart for the Jets to keep Enunwa away from free agency and sign him to a four-year, $36 million deal.

The 26-year-old may not be the kind of game-breaking, No. 1 receiver that all teams need in this pass-happy era, but he's the kind of solid, sure-handed target that all quarterbacks need. And the price isn't all that high, considering the money being tossed at receivers these days.

Given that this is a very underwhelming free agent market for receivers, Enunwa might have done much better than $20 million guaranteed, and a $9 million per year average if he had hit the market in March.

But the Jets had been trying to re-sign him since early October, according to a source. They had been interested in a long-term extension with him since he caught 58 passes for 857 yards and four touchdowns in 2016. It certainly helped the team's bargaining position that Enunwa had a down year - 38 catches for 449 yards and a touchdown in 11 games before a sprained ankle ended his season in Week 14.

Enunwa, though, saw enough of what he can do in tandem with Darnold to convince him this was the right place for him to be.

"I have a young quarterback that I can mold," Enunwa joked. "Seriously, though, Sam is an amazing player. As a receiver, that's who you want to play with. I want to continue growing with this team."

And that's another reason why retaining Enunwa was important. He's not afraid of the growing pains that Darnold might endure. He's already built a chemistry with him. He's already became his favorite third-down target. Darnold clearly trusts him, and that's an important thing for young quarterbacks to have.

The Jets still need a more traditional No. 1 receiver, but there's no guarantee they can find one in free agency or even the draft. Even if they do, or if they trade for someone like Cincinnati's A.J. Green, Enunwa still has plenty of value. He's a tough, possession receiver who has battled through injuries, and knows how to pick up tough yards.

He can be a featured part of the Jets' offense. He can be a decent No. 1 if necessary, or an even better No. 2 - presumably with restricted free agent Robby Anderson back as the third receiver, and the deep threat.

Enunwa can be a weapon, and that's what Darnold needs so desperately. They won't be easy to find this offseason. So it was smart for the Jets to get a jump on the offseason, and lock up one they already had.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

After 4 years the jets roster is pretty close to being as bad as after idzik other than finding qb in year 4 that you had to traade 3 2nd rounders to get.

Idzik 8-8, 4-12

Mac 10 wins, 5 wins 5 wins, probably 4 wins

Idzik sucked at drafting Mac sucks at drafting and team planning

Idzik had a much better head coach to work with.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

1 - Is he though? A beast? He’s a complimentary piece at best. He’s not a focal point of an offense. 

2 - Of course. That was true even if they brought back Enunwa and Robbie. 

3 - That’s a massive mistake. I don’t think he’ll get to pick the coach either. The Johnson’s are not changing the structure of the team. Now, I’m doubting Bowles is even gone. You don’t re-sign players if you’re hiring a new coach without consulting said coach. Q might not be a good fit in the next system. So. That all remains to be seen. 

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You don't pay a WR $9 million and think he's going to be the focal point of your offense. Those WR's get paid $14-$18 million not $9 million. $9 million in today's market will get you a #2/#3 WR. And that's what Enunwa is. They're going to pay Bell and that's who will be the focal point of the offense. You obviously have zero understanding of the WR market. Go do some research. Your hot takes are making me dumber.

Crazycarl doesn't understand the salary cap (and growing cap numbers) and thinks 9 million dollars should land us a pro bowl WR. Meanwhile Albert Wilson and Paul Richardson got 8 million a year last year. ALBERT WILSON!!! PAUL RICHARDSON!!!

Giving Enunwa 4/36 is a good deal for both sides. Only the SOJF crew that are blinded by their hate for Macc are losing their minds over this signing. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The cap has been increasing by 10-15 million dollars every year.  Players are going to get more money this year than they did last year, and last year they got more money than the previous year.   WRs are getting paid in the NFL now.  It sounds like a lot of money, but the reality is that it’s not that much in today’s salary cap.  Let’s see what the rest of free agency brings and then stack up Enunwa’s contract to what the rest of the market received.   Although, Enunwa certainly didn’t give the Jets any kind of hometown discount.   

Nor should he have. He was two days away from FA. You need to pay a premium to keep players from FA especially with the way the market is today. The Bills would have offered more than $9 million to get him away from us this off-season to help their young QB. The Jets have $106 million to spend in FA and they need to be aggressive. No more penny pinching or else they're going to lose out on a lot of FA's they're interested in.

Some fans whine about every move. Hell even when it came to drafting Sam some were unhappy we didnt get Rosen lol. Its not a bad deal at all. He was on his way to making ALOT more before the injury so that probably helped in a way.  Its important to keep guys that Sam has chemistry with and can extend plays which Quincy does.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Enunwa and his guy knew his injuries were an issue on the open market, thus sign here at no discount whatsoever with a fat injury guarantee.

I don't think the Jets were going to find a similar WR in FA for a better price. If you think they could, please share who they could potentially get and for what price? 

We need to surround Darnold with talent - this is a good start.

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

you gotta love the way enunwa plays but the guy hasn't played a full season forever.  36 m over 4 years is near no.1 receiver pay.  here's to hoping he can stay on the field.

That statement right there is why some people are mad about this contract. Bc they have no idea what they're talking about. The highest paid WR makes twice the amount Enunwa just got paid yearly.  He got #2/#3 WR money, not #1 money. This isn't 2012.

31 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I guess some of you people don't remember that Sammy Watkins got $16 million per year last year in FA with a similar injury history right? Some of you don't think Enunwa wouldn't have gotten at least $9 million per in FA and it just shows your lack of understanding the current market. 

And that injury guarantee means very little if it's not all guaranteed up front, which it's likely not and more likely to be 4 individual guarantees. 1 for every season.

Most don't even understand what guaranteed for injury means...

To educated my over-reactive pessimist "friends" on here...guaranteed for injury only means that if he is due a guaranteed $10 million in year 3 of the deal and is cut because it turns out he sucks in year 2....he doesn't get that guaranteed $10 million in year three.  The only way he gets "guaranteed for injury" money is if he is cut because he is unable to pass a physical.

But again, let's RAGE like idiots when we don't understand what we're talking about.

Thanks Internet...I should have strangled you in your crib.

Archived