Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

A few thoughts on Quincy Enunwa's four-year, $36 million extension:

1. Good move by the Jets. Enunwa was their No. 1 free-agent priority.

2. The Jets have their top two receivers, Robby Anderson and Enunwa, under control for 2019. They need another.

3. Enunwa passed up a chance to test the open market because he was concerned about how recent injuries would affect his value and because he really wanted to stay a Jet.

4. The Sam Darnold factor played a role. Enunwa sees a bright future with the young QB.

5. It appears to be business as usual for the front office, which bodes well for GM Mike Maccagnan.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK..

With some further thought, this isn’t too big of a deal. At first I was aggravated at the guaranteed $$ but then I remembered we have nearly 108 million in cap and the least amount of money committed to our roster in the entire NFL. I did want Enunwa back, I did think that continuity between Sam and his favorite weapons were very important and I do think that Robby should be retained for these same reasons. I’m a believer that just because you have money, it doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to throw money around with a blind fold on but if what some posters are saying about the injury guarantees and signing bonus being tied into each other is correct, this definitely isn’t something to be throw a fit about as I initially felt like doing.

Hopefully Q can stay healthy and he’ll come back healed/ready to go. At least that’s one guy signed on the books for next season. I can’t even trip about this. It’s a little over what I expected him to be paid but again... 107 mill and basically no players guaranteed thru 2020 aside from Trumaine Johnson.(Now that’s something i’ll be mad about for a long time.)

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Anyone who thinks the Jets overpaid Enunwa really needs to take a look at what NFL WRs are getting paid: https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

I think there is warranted sticker shock when you first look at the numbers, but the market has been inflating salaries every year to ridiculous amounts ALONG with the Salary Cap continuing to increase on an annual basis. 

They HAD to spend the money and while it's possibly overpaying due to durability concerns, the Jets will GROSSLY have to overpay to bring in at least 2 more UFA WRs into the fold and those signings (along with the REST of the FA market in March '19) will make Enunwa's deal seem like a much better value in retrospect - so let's let this simmer for 3-4 months to PROPERLY judge if Mac correctly gaged the FA market for WRs. 

There's a dearth of WR FA talent in '19 and Mac - like he did LAST year w/extending Briana Winters last year - is jumping the market and increasing salary to RETAIN players BUT it will still come out CHEAPER than what the Jets WILL have to spend on FAs in March '19. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/12/28/source-new-york-jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-agree-to-four-year-extension/ax7hh18/

Enunwa has agreed to a four-year extension worth a maximum value of $36 million. The deal also includes an injury guarantee worth slightly more than $20 million.

this is nonsense. He never plays and he has not really given them that much.  I like him, but he should be a business decision

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

OK..

With some further thought, this isn’t too big of a deal. At first I was aggravated at the guaranteed $$ but then I remembered we have nearly 108 million in cap and the least amount of money committed to our roster in the entire NFL. I did want Enunwa back, I did think that continuity between Sam and his favorite weapons were very important and I do think that Robby should be retained for these same reasons. I’m a believer that just because you have money, it doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to throw money around with a blind fold on but if what some posters are saying about the injury guarantees and signing bonus being tied into each other is correct, this definitely isn’t something to be throw a fit about as I initially felt like doing.

Hopefully Q can stay healthy and he’ll come back healed/ready to go. At least that’s one guy signed on the books for next season. I can’t even trip about this. It’s a little over what I expected him to be paid but again... 107 mill and basically no players guaranteed thru 2020 aside from Trumaine Johnson.(Now that’s something i’ll be mad about for a long time.)

he is never healthy, though

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Bowles extension next?

Hard to believe an owner would let a GM n coach on the way out begin extending players.

It has nothing to do with Bowles. He’s history.

The GM isn’t going anywhere - which is not a surprise to anyone who has been reading the tea leaves. 

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Crazycarl doesn't understand the salary cap (and growing cap numbers) and thinks 9 million dollars should land us a pro bowl WR. Meanwhile Albert Wilson and Paul Richardson got 8 million a year last year. ALBERT WILSON!!! PAUL RICHARDSON!!!

Giving Enunwa 4/36 is a good deal for both sides. Only the SOJF crew that are blinded by their hate for Macc are losing their minds over this signing. 

Please show me where I complained about the money. Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Didn’t Idzik extend Kerley to a 4 year deal right before he was fired? Can’t remember how soon before the firing the deal was signed. 

All things Idzik should be considered an anomaly, and are beyond the comprehension and understanding of modern man.  Any attempt to fathom his thought processes or actions, should be considered dangerous and could result in an aneurism and or sudden death.

Geez I missed a lot today. Wrong day to be busy driving. Anyways, you all know how I feel about Mac but I think this is a reasonable deal. He could have very easily cost $12mil/per(or more) if he kept his production up and stayed healthy. The cap has increased dramatically over the last few years and there aren’t many offensive weapons in FA so he would have gotten a good deal.

The injuries were a blessing in disguise but also a real reason to be concerned. We can’t afford to let any good players walk and get weaker when we need to improve our terrible offense. That just wouldn’t make sense and I think this deal took a bit too much good faith on the Jets end but we have bigger problems to worry about and now 1 less problem in the offseason. 

Either way I’m a big Q fan so it makes me happy as a fan. I’ll worry about the cap when it finally becomes an issue. We can’t get worse on offense. We have to salvage what works at almost all costs because of the position that we are in. Just my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Anyone who thinks the Jets overpaid Enunwa really needs to take a look at what NFL WRs are getting paid: https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

True.  Marquise Lee signed a 4 year $34 million contract this year.  He can make about $1.75 million more in per game roster bonuses and incentives.   He’s been injured his whole career as well.  

The 5 -10 guys complaining in this thread complain about everything.  They can't help themselves.  This is a good deal and completely reasonable.

If the Jets give Golden ****ing Tate big money THEN we should complain.  That would be idiotic.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

The 5 -10 guys complaining in this thread complain about everything.  They can't help themselves.  This is a good deal and completely reasonable.

If the Jets give Golden ****ing Tate big money THEN we should complain.  That would be idiotic.

Idzik gem.

Just now, Pac said:

Thats true.  It just gets annoying.  Not long ago fans were worried that we wouldnt be able to retain Enunwa. Now that we signed him to a reasonable contract they want to bitch?  The goal is to add talent but also to keep the guys around that Sam has good chemistry with.  We have a ton of cap space to fill other needs after quincy and robby are both signed.  If you want to be concerned about him staying healthy a full season thats valid but the contract was fair

47 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That statement right there is why some people are mad about this contract. Bc they have no idea what they're talking about. The highest paid WR makes twice the amount Enunwa just got paid yearly.  He got #2/#3 WR money, not #1 money. This isn't 2012.

maybe but it also shows how skewed the nfl is getting.  a wr, who may get 10 touches per game, is getting money nearly rivaling that of a qb who will have maybe 60 touches per game and more than a running back who will get maybe 22-25 touches.  and please don't say guys like odell beckham or hopkins are such great down field blockers that they are needed on run plays.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe but it also shows how skewed the nfl is getting.  a wr, who may get 10 touches per game, is getting money nearly rivaling that of a qb who will have maybe 60 touches per game and more than a running back who will get maybe 22-25 touches.  and please don't say guys like odell beckham or hopkins are such great down field blockers that they are needed on run plays.

They are still needed to serve as a threat even if not being used. Good WRs help open up the run game just by being on the field. 

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Slight over payment given the injury history but there is no denying his impact when healthy.  When you consider that Sammy Watkins got a 3 year, 48 Mil contract with 30 mil guaranteed this doesn't seem too bad.

Enunwa is exactly the kind of guy you want around Darnold which I'm sure played a significant part in the decision.

Great post.  Agree 100%.

On the face of it the $$ look a little high but it's the market rate and in a year or two it may actually look cheap.  Enunwa has a rare blend of size, speed and hands.  He's almost like a WR in a TE body, kinda reminds me of Anquan Boldin.

The point about Darnold is an important one.  We need some consistency.  With the likely tendering of Robby Anderson and Herndon going into his 2nd season this really guarantees that Darnold will continue to play with at least 3 guys that he's developed some sort of chemistry with.

The Jets have the money.  I like the move.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think the Jets were going to find a similar WR in FA for a better price. If you think they could, please share who they could potentially get and for what price? 

We need to surround Darnold with talent - this is a good start.

11 games in the last two years including a serious neck injury.

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Let’s hope this is the last time we see a WR group like this starting a regular season game.  Embarrasssing.  

Agreed.  At the same time I'm interested in seeing how guys like Peake and Burnett look.  Those are the kinds of guys vying for a WR5 or WR6 spot next year.

Likely Free Agent, Draft Pick, Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and 1 TBD.

Archived