2018-2019 Islanders Thread

RobR

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

This is no easy game tonight considering the rust and Tampa got killed the other night.

I'm curious how they play the next 5. I could see a short losing streak but getting out of it to continue their strong play.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good news is we have a game in hand on everybody and still have a 3 point lead.

Lets go Isles!!!

7 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

True. Tough SO lose tonight considering the type of game played. 1 point better than nothing.

That was a great 0-0 game going into the shootout....then not so much. They need to get that PP going.

• Sympathy 1

I'm a Ranger fan, so this is really hard for me, but I'm going to give it a go, LOL. The Isles are a great story this year, probably the best in the league. So much so I'm having a hard time "hating" this group the way I should.

Like everyone else, I never saw this coming when Tavares left to go home to Toronto. Our rivalry is my favorite in any sport. The games will always have that extra something no matter how either team is doing, but its been a long time since both were good at the same time. Hopefully the current youth movement works out for my guys, and we can bang heads in games that mean something for the next few years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm a Ranger fan, so this is really hard for me, but I'm going to give it a go, LOL. The Isles are a great story this year, probably the best in the league. So much so I'm having a hard time "hating" this group the way I should.

Like everyone else, I never saw this coming when Tavares left to go home to Toronto. Our rivalry is my favorite in any sport. The games will always have that extra something no matter how either team is doing, but its been a long time since both were good at the same time. Hopefully the current youth movement works out for my guys, and we can bang heads in games that mean something for the next few years.

**** off Rags fan. ?

On a serious note everything changed about the Isles once Lou and Trotz came aboard. I still think they are a few pieces away from making a legitimate run, but you never know when playoff hockey comes around. I'm just having a fun time rooting for a team like this, a team gives 100% every single night.

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

**** off Rags fan. ?

On a serious note everything changed about the Isles once Lou and Trotz came aboard. I still think they are a few pieces away from making a legitimate run, but you never know when playoff hockey comes around. I'm just having a fun time rooting for a team like this, a team gives 100% every single night.

You're spot on with what you said about the two old war horses running things for your team. There's nothing better in sports then when the team you root for has one these unexpected seasons your guys are. I could go for some of that right about now. Besides the Jets and Rangers, I've got the Knicks and Mets. The one highlight this year was Syracuse football. 

Enjoy your season man, I don't belong here though, so I better get out of your thread. It wouldn't be long before I started breaking out the Potvin chants. ?

• Upvote 1

Is winning becoming so routine?  A nice 3rd period comeback, game winning goal by a guy who looked like a draft bust last season, another strong effort by Lehner (probably Lou's best off-season acquistion).  Plus losses by Columbus and Pittsburgh last night.  And Washington loses again today.  And not a single post about the game.

I am not sure how much longer we can refer to ourselves as the first-place NY Islanders,  I am ust going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

Is winning becoming so routine?  A nice 3rd period comeback, game winning goal by a guy who looked like a draft bust last season, another strong effort by Lehner (probably Lou's best off-season acquistion).  Plus losses by Columbus and Pittsburgh last night.  And Washington loses again today.  And not a single post about the game.

I am not sure how much longer we can refer to ourselves as the first-place NY Islanders,  I am ust going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

That was an interesting game, almost like the Hawks game. These teams have experienced high level talent on their top lines which seem to give the Isles some fits at times. It's possible the Tampa game affected them, who knows.

Every game I check the opposing teams offensive cycle times. This game had a few of them but seems to get less and less every game.

I want to see Dal Cole on the PP. He is a sniper, put him on the lower circles for some hard shots.

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up a much needed two points with our game in hand tonight. Kinda sucks that when we make it to the second round all of our home games will be at Barclays.....talk about losing home ice advantage.  

Anyone else notice how we've been on a tear since Hickey went out and was replaced by Toews? Considering how much I love Hickey as a hockey player, I'm shocked.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

We picked up a much needed two points with our game in hand tonight. Kinda sucks that when we make it to the second round all of our home games will be at Barclays.....talk about losing home ice advantage.  

Anyone else notice how we've been on a tear since Hickey went out and was replaced by Toews? Considering how much I love Hickey as a hockey player, I'm shocked.  

Hey,  Hickey scored a goal at Bridgeport tonight.  Let him keep lighting it up down there.  Just amazing how much difference a good coach can make.  Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock all different players this season.  And yes, the hot streak has conicided with Toews entry to the lineup.  Love that kid.  So many big plays in big spots in less than 2 months as a pro.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

And yes, the hot streak has conicided with Toews entry to the lineup.  Love that kid. 

He's everything DeHaan should have been. I really hope we move Hickey at the deadline for whatever.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RobR said:

He's everything DeHaan should have been. I really hope we move Hickey at the deadline for whatever.

Initial thought was what could we get for Hickey, but if Garth was able to get a 2 and a 3 for Macdonald a few years ago, Hickey should have some value.

What do you thnk about Panarin; would love to see us make a run at him, but I can't see Columbus trading him to us.  Might just have to wait until FA.  He is the guy I want to see paired with Barzal.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Initial thought was what could we get for Hickey, but if Garth was able to get a 2 and a 3 for Macdonald a few years ago, Hickey should have some value.

What do you thnk about Panarin; would love to see us make a run at him, but I can't see Columbus trading him to us.  Might just have to wait until FA.  He is the guy I want to see paired with Barzal.

I'm at the point that if we do trade off the Hickeys of the world I'd like to recoup draft ammo. This team can be set up for years as a contender if we keep a deep pool of prospects in the pipeline.

Any word about Sorokin crossing the pond?  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Watching the pregame.  The venom is palpable.

What an awesome night it must have been to have been in the old barn tonight.  Looked like a great crowd on TV, and the team reallyl seemed to feed off of it.  Best thing they ever did was getting back there this year.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

What an awesome night it must have been to have been in the old barn tonight.  Looked like a great crowd on TV, and the team reallyl seemed to feed off of it.  Best thing they ever did was getting back there this year.

3-1 and they keep pushing, 4-1 and they keep pushing, 5-1 and they keep pushing.....well you get the point. Easily my favorite game all year and props to the crowd for universally treating Tavares like the turd he is. It was also nice to see us punish them with hits. God I love the 17-53-15 line.

Big game tomorrow boys.

Lets go Isles!!!!!!! 

And Hickey sat in the pressbox....coincidence?

Any win ais a good win, but blowing a 2 goal lead, at home, against the worst team in the East -- even if one of the goals was bs and should not have been allowed.  Not a good optic, but I am beyond caring about optics.  2 much needed points.

Let’s be honest they haven’t played consistent good hockey since the AS break. The PP has been abysmal and lately the defensive game has been lacking.

I guess the bad stretch that all the haters have been calling has happened but when do they get out of the funk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Let’s be honest they haven’t played consistent good hockey since the AS break. The PP has been abysmal and lately the defensive game has been lacking.

I guess the bad stretch that all the haters have been calling has happened but when do they get out of the funk?

Unless they somehow get the PP working I'm not feeling good. I think they said we were 25th on the PP.....if we could just move that up to average I think this team can do some damage. Call me crazy but I'd put Toews on PP1 and see what happens.

Unless they somehow get the PP working I'm not feeling good. I think they said we were 25th on the PP.....if we could just move that up to average I think this team can do some damage. Call me crazy but I'd put Toews on PP1 and see what happens.

The PP has lost them a few games since the break. Toews wouldn’t be bad on the first unit, it wouldn’t hurt. I’m not feeling it either, the two way play better get in sync fast.

• Sympathy 1

• 4 weeks later...

******* Hickey, god I hate him. Is it wrong to hope he's in some type of lawnmower accident this offseason so we never have to see him wearing an Isles jersey ever again? I'm thinking no.

6 hours ago, Jetmech said:

LGI! I hope they solid hockey and get out of the first round!

Yup.  It has been a great and unexepcted season, regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.  But its Crosby and the Penguins.  I sure don't want to see our season ended by those f**kers. 

PK and penalty kill are the key -- don't see us beating these guys if they outscore us by more than goal or 2 on the man advantage.

Yup.  It has been a great and unexepcted season, regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.  But its Crosby and the Penguins.  I sure don't want to see our season ended by those f**kers. 
PK and penalty kill are the key -- don't see us beating these guys if they outscore us by more than goal or 2 on the man advantage.

Unless Eberle gets hot I have no faith in their PP but they must be good on the PK to stay in the games. Malkin could be a pain in the ass so their 4th line has to be very physical this series.

LGI. I really wished we faced Carolina because the Pens always ramp up for the playoffs, but it is what it is and I have a downright hatred for them.

We get the PP going we win the series......we don't and I see us bowing out in the first round. 

11 hours ago, RobR said:

Good first period and we were so close to 3-1. That offsides stings.

No more bitching and complaining about Bailey, I guess. 

Strange game.  This time of year any win is a good win, especially when so much of the game was played at their tempo.  Had us on our heels for long stretches of the 2nd and 3rd.  Couple of overturned goals against us (both good calls), don't think Murray looked great, which may be a good sign for the rest of the series.

Nothing quite like playoff hockey.

• Sympathy 1

Played a great game.  The only player I have a problem with is Beau.  He seems to get knocked off the puck all the time and turns it over a lot.  

I wanted to see MDC play but with the way Kuhn played yesterday I'm happy the way it is.