Jason Mcintyre: Head Coaching rumors

Jetsbb

27 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Could care less about a coach the fan base can fell comfortable with. More important is a coach the players can buy into and produce for. Hell we all have opinions just look at last off season and the divide over what QB to draft. Hire a new coach let him create a staff and show me what you can produce that’s my comfort zone. 

Sure, and I’d feel a helluva lot better with a proven, successful NFL HC than I would with a guy who has coached at Mount Union, Toledo and Iowa State his entire career.

In the last 30+ years, Jimmy Johnson is the only guy who had zero prior coaching experience at the pro level before making a successful leap to the NFL. And he coached a f*cking powerhouse Hurricanes team that won a national championship. Not exactly in the same league as coaching the Iowa State Cyclones to a .500 record over a 3 year span.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, and I’d feel a helluva lot better with a proven, successful NFL HC than I would with a guy who has coached at Mount Union, Toledo and Iowa State his entire career.

In the last 30+ years, Jimmy Johnson is the only guy who had zero prior coaching experience at the pro level before making a successful leap to the NFL. And he coached a f*cking powerhouse Hurricanes team. Not the Iowa State Cyclones.

And in today’s short attention span twitter environment Jimmy Johnson would have been fired after his first season

56 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How hard is it for the richie rich, dickbag Johnson Bros to throw $10 mill a year at Shanahan/Harbaugh and have a coach the majority of the fanbase can feel comfortable with?

Shanahan I think might be done coaching his son is in SF he’s basically his czar and advisor.  Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan he loves being there and just got the best recruiting class in his conference

The Jets screwed up really bad last year not firing Bowles.  We could have had Nagy or Reich

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Shanahan I think might be done coaching his son is in SF he’s basically his czar and advisor.  Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan he loves being there and just got the best recruiting class in his conference

The Jets screwed up really bad last year not firing Bowles.  We could have had Nagy or Reich

The Jets should’ve hired Reich 4 years ago instead of Bowles. I remember they brought him in for an interview.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets should’ve hired Reich 4 years ago instead of Bowles. I remember they brought him in for an interview.

They did. Passed on Reich for Bowles 4 years ago. Also interviewed Harbaugh before hiring Rex.

Let's hope, this year, they interview and then actually hire the right guy. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

How hard is it for the richie rich, dickbag Johnson Bros to throw $10 mill a year at Shanahan/Harbaugh and have a coach the majority of the fanbase can feel comfortable with?

If neither is interested in coaching a NFL team, pretty hard.  

And please, dont let them hire who the majority of the fanbase, (as in the internet) feels comfortable with.  As if that would have a thing to do with W's & L's

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

They did. Passed on Reich for Bowles 4 years ago. Also interviewed Harbaugh before hiring Rex.

Let's hope, this year, they interview and then actually hire the right guy. 

We passed on Reich AGAIN last year to extend Bowles

#truerebuild

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Reich expressed interest in coaching the jets both in 2015 and 2017 when it was rumored we might be firing Bowles.   He wasn’t a hot name he had only been a coordinator in LA for a brief period

Ex-Jet player who now might make the playoffs with a colts team that stunk the year before.  Great job Woody!

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

In the last 30+ years, Jimmy Johnson is the only guy who had zero prior coaching experience at the pro level before making a successful leap to the NFL. And he coached a f*cking powerhouse Hurricanes team that won a national championship. Not exactly in the same league as coaching the Iowa State Cyclones to a .500 record over a 3 year span.

Actually the Campbell that perks my interest is Dan the TE coach in New Orleans. That said get rid of Bowles and I will give his replacement a chance before I bash him. Truthfully it’s the organization that needs to be ripped for its choice. Bowles is a poor HC but for the organization too stick by him is more of an indictment.

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

Actually the Campbell that perks my interest is Dan the TE coach in New Orleans. That said get rid of Bowles and I will give his replacement a chance before I bash him. Truthfully it’s the organization that needs to be ripped for its choice. Bowles is a poor HC but for the organization too stick by him is more of an indictment.

Dan Campbell is one of the select few assistant coaches that I would be okay with.

But I’d still prefer a veteran, offensive minded HC like Shanahan, Harbaugh or even McCarthy.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Dan Campbell is one of the select few assistant coaches that I would be okay with.

But I’d still prefer a veteran, offensive minded HC like Shanahan, Harbaugh or even McCarthy.

The NFL has evolved the last 5 years.. Not sure brining in a coach that's been out of football for those 5 years is a good idea. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The NFL has evolved the last 5 years.. Not sure brining in a coach that's been out of football for those 5 years is a good idea. 

Like I’ve said before, Shanahan already proved that he could adapt during RGIII’s rookie season. He changed up his entire offense and was running a ton of that “RPO” stuff a couple of years before it became the next “it” thing in the NFL.

Dude is an offensive mastermind who runs a balanced scheme that produces 1,000 yard rushers by the bushel and is QB friendly. He’s also proven in both Denver and Washington that he can assemble a dynamite offensive coaching staff.

There are few other coaches I could think of that I would trust more with overseeing Darnold’s development.

Matt Campbell seems like a high energy, great guy who gets a lot out of his players - however the issue is in the NFL the rah-rah type stuff gets old too quick because these guys have kids, mortgages, contracts etc.  Its more of a business and there is a risk with a guy like Campbell who doesnt already understand the mentality of an NFL player

22 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the HC candidates were saying they wanted to go to the Browns even before the winning streak.  And we have a great young QB, a ton of cap room, a high draft pick and NY.

All that PLUS JetNation.com.

The ton of cap room is nice, but it's nicer to have better players already instead of the hope that shopping in the refurbished/clearance section yields what already exists. We locked up Quincy Enunwa for $36MM with $20MM guaranteed. That's more than they're paying for a pro bowl CB who has no injury concerns. We can't buy everything they have, and certainly not in one offseason. That was kind of my point.

A team with a lot of talent, even on a losing streak, is an attractive destination. Makes it easier to look like your coaching genius is the secret sauce.

11 minutes ago, Joejet said:

You definitely don’t want Harbaugh then!

Sure I’d take him but not for 10 mil. You don’t want to go into a Grudin style commitment with a coach who might not succeed. He hasn’t turned around Michigan and imo he’s overrated. But still a good coach and one of the better candidates. But you aren’t going to get him for an average or slightly above average deal. If you can I’d be interested. 

I've been reading a lot of stuff from Michigan people today.  Some who claim/appear to be relatively connected, and the overall sense is the Harbaugh/Michigan marriage isn't as sunshine and roses as most assume.  They wouldn't classify it as bad, but patience is worn thin on all sides.

That said, these guys still didn't think he was going to leave, and if he did they thought it would be for UM alum Stephen Ross.

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've been reading a lot of stuff from Michigan people today.  Some who claim/appear to be relatively connected, and the overall sense is the Harbaugh/Michigan marriage isn't as sunshine and roses as most assume.  They wouldn't classify it as bad, but patience is worn thin on all sides.

That said, these guys still didn't think he was going to leave, and if he did they thought it would be for UM alum Stephen Ross.

That 1st part should be heartening, but there really does seem to be something to the thought that Harbaugh wears out his welcome very quickly wherever he goes.

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Since Baker Mayfield happened.

This.

Young, potential franchise QBs are very attractive to new head coaches.

I'm sure there are lots of guys who saw Darnold in college, in the pre-Draft process, and now in the regular season who have their agents putting out some feelers to the Jets.  And, maybe not just HC candidates, but I'd wonder if there are some QB / OC type coaches out there who are letting it quietly be known that they'd love to work with Sam Darnold.

Most interesting thing about the Browns situation is what voice (if any) Baker has in the decision.  The Browns have played very well under Williams / Kitchens.  There seems to finally be some stability and consistency there.  Getting rid of those guys when they've demonstrated some success is very risky because you don't necessarily know how well the next HC would do.  You may think you know, but you don't until he gets in there.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:50 AM, Untouchable said:

Frankly, I think they’d be pretty damn stupid to get rid of Williams/Kitchens at this point considering their sh*tastic history with coaches and overall performance.

Give Williams the official HC title on a 2 year deal and tell him that if he goes 9-7 or better next year, we’ll commit to you longterm.

Hire Williams and Kitchens for the Jets if the Browns go in a different direction.

Archived