Dwayne Haskins

BCJet

I haven't watched enough OSU football (am looking forward to the Bowl game) but do you guys think this kid is good enough and can get enough buzz to have someone trade up with us at 2/3/4 to get him?

I know haskins has the size and numbers, but with only one year starting, he seems like a big step down from the QBs last year.

16 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I haven't watched enough OSU football (am looking forward to the Bowl game) but do you guys think this kid is good enough and can get enough buzz to have someone trade up with us at 2/3/4 to get him?

I know haskins has the size and numbers, but with only one year starting, he seems like a big step down from the QBs last year.

Trubisky was in a similar situation when he came out.  One year starter and went top 3.  

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Yes, I absolutely think he can be in a discussion for a top 5 pick.  If I remember correctly, at this time in 2015, few people expected Carson Wentz to go top 2; he was not even in first round in some mocks I just looked at from that season.   A lot will change between now and April.

There is no need to go that high 

Only 1 spot ahead of a team that wants a QB 

The bills will be closer to the sweet spot. All this losing didn't do much for the jets actually 

Gms will look at this class and decide to make moves for guys like Bridgewater, Flacco, tannehill, foles etc 

To answer your questions, he might not be the first QB taken. I read a month ago that drew lock is a better NFL prospect

i watched some of him....he will be a limited NFL QB. He i a 1-2 read guy  excellent on short and medium throws, needs a lot of work on his feet. the NFL is a different animal i just dont see his game translating to an above average NFL QB. lets see what they do next week thats a big game for him (i dont know if he plays or not)

I don’t see it

He’s certainly improved over the last 6-8 weeks and I think he’s probably worth a 1st round pick to some QB starved team or a team with a vet at the end of his rope...but I don’t see anyone giving away multiple picks to move up into the Top 5 for him.

People should just get used to us being stuck in the Top 3 and walking away with Allen/Oliver/Q. Williams.

Ok. Someone needs to explain this to me. Take a generic kid. Lets say he grew up in NJ/MD, went to a Northern College that was traditionally a power run program and he played in an O that was converted to a passing O just for him (i.e. the coaching staff were novices when it came to teaching and scheming a passing game).  In this generic kid's first season as a starter he throws 50 TDs for over 4800 yards, completes 70% of his passes and throws less than 10 interceptions on over 500 pass attempts. Then throw in that the kid is 6'3" goes about 220lbs and is 21 years old. 

Why in the hell wouldn't that kid be a top 5 pick? 

Last year I watched evaluator after evaluator knock Lamar Jackson while singing the praises of Josh Allen despite the fact that Jackson was more accurate against a tougher schedule.  Please tell me it is not happening again.  You can't go to the racist tool bag and say Haskins is an "athlete" and not a QB, like they did for Jackson and Deshaun Watson. Haskins is a pocket passer. Just watch as the evaluators just make crap up to justify a low draft grade for Haskins. IMO, even against last years bumper crop of QBs, he'd be rated third behind Mayfield and Darnold. All the kid did was accomplish, at a record rate, all that was asked of him by the coaching staff. If he is not worthy of a top 5 pick, who is? 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, k-met57 said:

i watched some of him....he will be a limited NFL QB. He i a 1-2 read guy  excellent on short and medium throws, needs a lot of work on his feet. the NFL is a different animal i just dont see his game translating to an above average NFL QB. lets see what they do next week thats a big game for him (i dont know if he plays or not)

25/37; 251 yds; 3 TDs; 0 Int. And his team won 37-25.  How'd he do?

I think most folks are in line with Haskins being a top-5 pick now.  It took a while but partly because all the attention was on Herbert most of the year.  You make good points though.  I think all things being equal, there is still some suspicion that black college QBs have to overcome that they're not just the next Michael Vick / Vince Young.  It's like Warren Moon never happened.

59 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

25/37; 251 yds; 3 TDs; 0 Int. And his team won 37-25.  How'd he do?

i thought he played well....but i am just not impressed enough to say he is going to be a player in the NFL. he is not mobile...and he threw the ball a ton last year....like over 530 times, and he had great receivers.

we can agree do disagree, but the original premise that the giants did well by taking Barkley and now can take Haskins is flawed in my view. Without a franchise QB u have nothing, and he is no franchise QB.

also...Cowherd said he was going first....there is 0.0 chance he goes first...maybe ill buy top 10.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i thought he played well....but i am just not impressed enough to say he is going to be a player in the NFL. he is not mobile...and he threw the ball a ton last year....like over 530 times, and he had great receivers.

we can agree do disagree, but the original premise that the giants did well by taking Barkley and now can take Haskins is flawed in my view. Without a franchise QB u have nothing, and he is no franchise QB.

also...Cowherd said he was going first....there is 0.0 chance he goes first...maybe ill buy top 10.

I don't think we will agree on Haskins. It's one of those wait and see things.

If Haskins falls to the Giants (which I do not think he will), I think they will take him. But there is no way in hell that the Giants will trade up for a QB this season after sitting at #2 in the deepest QB draft in recent memory and not taking a QB. The optics of that are very, very bad. Even if Barkley is great, what's he got ahead of him a 7 year productive career, maybe 10 if he's lucky. Darnold is 21 and could be your franchise QB for 15 years, or even more with the current rules protecting QBs and the  way athletes take care of themselves now. 

I think haskins can slide into that top 5 discussion with a great showing pre draft.  He had a great game in their bowl game and thats only fueling the discussion, especially if you listened to herbstreet absolutely slurp him the entire game. Teams that want a QB will have to jump the Jags at 7 in order to get one as it'll be believed that who ever is the top guy is going to be in play there.  The most logical trading partners then become the Jets, the Raiders or the Buccs.   What we need to hope is the raiders trade Carr and then become a suitor for a qb at 4 or the Buccs decide to move on from Winston.  Then anyone wanting one will have to trade with the jets to get one (although i see this as highly unlikely).  Either way unless Haskins absolutely kills the predraft process, i dont really see any team looking to move up and take him.  at least not into the top 3. 

The kid from Duke has a chance to be a real riser too, as does drew lock although i think lock is more of a second round guy, along with will greir.  The kid from Duke though has been turning a lot of heads and his great bowl performance is only going to help.  I doubt he slides into the top 5 however. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't think we will agree on Haskins. It's one of those wait and see things.

If Haskins falls to the Giants (which I do not think he will), I think they will take him. But there is no way in hell that the Giants will trade up for a QB this season after sitting at #2 in the deepest QB draft in recent memory and not taking a QB. The optics of that are very, very bad. Even if Barkley is great, what's he got ahead of him a 7 year productive career, maybe 10 if he's lucky. Darnold is 21 and could be your franchise QB for 15 years, or even more with the current rules protecting QBs and the  way athletes take care of themselves now. 

totally agree...and guess what...the giants already wasted a prime Barkley year...and if they bring back Eli thats another one...and if they draft a QB first year or two is prob a waste as well as the QB gets used to the NFL. Giants are going to end up with like 4 years of prime Barkley and that's if they solve the QB issue like tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

totally agree...and guess what...the giants already wasted a prime Barkley year...and if they bring back Eli thats another one...and if they draft a QB first year or two is prob a waste as well as the QB gets used to the NFL. Giants are going to end up with like 4 years of prime Barkley and that's if they solve the QB issue like tomorrow.

Rams drafted Gurley in '15 and Goff in '16.  That seems to be working out for them now.  I think you have to take what the draft presents you with but yeah, the gamble of 'getting a QB next year' is very risky.  So much so that I don't see how the Giants ignore it this year and wait yet another year.  They either have to sign a FA (Foles?) or draft one or else they WILL have wasted Barkley's entire first contract.

I’m planting the flag now, haskins is going #1 overall. giants aren’t letting him get past #6 - and all of the teams that whiffed last year (Jags, denver, giants, redskins) are going to be trying to jump each other so someone is going to bite the bullet and pay up. my money is on the giants- eli’s legs are shot and he’s taken a lot of beatings over the years. they have arguably the most explosive group of offensive talent in the league and they cannot afford to waste a season without a franchise QB

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

Rams drafted Gurley in '15 and Goff in '16.  That seems to be working out for them now.  I think you have to take what the draft presents you with but yeah, the gamble of 'getting a QB next year' is very risky.  So much so that I don't see how the Giants ignore it this year and wait yet another year.  They either have to sign a FA (Foles?) or draft one or else they WILL have wasted Barkley's entire first contract.

Giants stick with Eli and try to draft Tua in 2020

On 1/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, cant wait said:

I’m planting the flag now, haskins is going #1 overall. giants aren’t letting him get past #6 - and all of the teams that whiffed last year (Jags, denver, giants, redskins) are going to be trying to jump each other so someone is going to bite the bullet and pay up. my money is on the giants- eli’s legs are shot and he’s taken a lot of beatings over the years. they have arguably the most explosive group of offensive talent in the league and they cannot afford to waste a season without a franchise QB

I wouldn't be surprised at all... would prefer to get the pick haul ourselves but if someone moves to 1-2 then a player is dropping to us and #3 gets more valuable for a trade down as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

not slamming the guy, i haven't watched much of him tbh -- just wanted to share that there's at least some skepticism out there. 

ledyard also picked kizer as his 1st QB in 2017 going #3 to the bears... but seriously it’s all over the place. charlie campbell reported today that 3 NFL GM’s are on record as saying daniel jones will be the #1 QB this year so who knows. from what I’m seeing a lot of the knocks on haskins have to do with his lack of mobility so he could improve his stock greatly with a good showing at the combine. IMO him and murray are the only guys that have plus accuracy whereas jones/lock look hauntingly similar to bortles/gabbert

Between now and the NFL Draft there is nothing for the media to report on besides March Madness

NBA sucks

NHL no one cares

MLB doesn’t start til 3/28 for most teams

so yes Haskins will get hyped up enough to get picked top 3

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Between now and the NFL Draft there is nothing for the media to report on besides March Madness

NBA sucks

NHL no one cares

MLB doesn’t start til 3/28 for most teams

so yes Haskins will get hyped up enough to get picked top 3

it’s true- the combine coverage last year was all over the QB’s, it was kind of ridiculous honestly. and add the fact that kliff kingsbury is on the record as stating he would draft murray #1 overall so you can expect to see his face plastered all over NFL network too with them. it is certainly possible that AZ trades rosen too although I’ll believe it when I see it

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

it’s true- the combine coverage last year was all over the QB’s, it was kind of ridiculous honestly. and add the fact that kliff kingsbury is on the record as stating he would draft murray #1 overall so you can expect to see his face plastered all over NFL network too with them. it is certainly possible that AZ trades rosen too although I’ll believe it when I see it

The 24/7 sports networks love covering the QBs in the draft every year it creates a lot of content for them and it’s the sexy position in football 

I can see the cardinals drafting Haskins and trading Rosen

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The 24/7 sports networks love covering the QBs in the draft every year it creates a lot of content for them and it’s the sexy position in football 

I can see the cardinals drafting Haskins and trading Rosen

it’s possible they trade rosen but I think their only hope to survive in that division is with a pair of stud pass rushers like bosa/jones and hope they can overhaul their  #32 rated OL

Jones is the best QB in this draft. I've thought so all year. He has the size, the arm, he's coming from Duke so he has the brains. He's been coached by one of the best at developing talent at his position. If I was going to take a chance on any of the QBs this year, he'd be the one.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Jones is the best QB in this draft. I've thought so all year. He has the size, the arm, he's coming from Duke so he has the brains. He's been coached by one of the best at developing talent at his position. If I was going to take a chance on any of the QBs this year, he'd be the one.

lance zierlien mocked him going #6 to the giants. he says that since jones/manning come from the same mentor it could make him the favorite to become his successor 

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

lance zierlien mocked him going #6 to the giants. he says that since jones/manning come from the same mentor it could make him the favorite to become his successor 

I'm amazed how little attention has been paid to him this year. I think that's going to change come the combine. He'd be a perfect fit for the Giants or Jax. I don't see him dropping past the 7th pick. Unlike most here, I don't see either team moving up though. I'm thinking Jones goes 6, Haskins 7th.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The arm?  Guy is 6’5” and can’t break a pane of glass.  Sorry his arm is limited.  This guy will start getting picked apart more by the scouting community as the pre-draft process plays out.  

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

it’s possible they trade rosen but I think their only hope to survive in that division is with a pair of stud pass rushers like bosa/jones and hope they can overhaul their  #32 rated OL

Problem is Rosen doesn’t fit Kingsbury’s system.  

Archived