Todd Bowles was the one running the Maccagnan drafts!

Sperm Edwards

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I could see a coach wanting final say over personal moves but no coach really wants to do th GM’s job for them. They want some degree of competency so the coach can focus on coaching and not add even more to his place.

I really don’t know what to expect. Does a coach want to come here and have say over Mac or will they avoid us because they would have to be WAY to involved in roster management which may impede their ability to coach. I have no idea. Time will tell. 

you dont have to. make the coach the king and let him pick HIS personnel guy.  In my scenario, Macc does not accept the new arrangement and goes bye bye

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Without researching it i would wager that there are teams that drafted worse.  Today when darnold is winging passes to herndon and cannon is slashing through the pats defense, we can take solace that at least 1 other team has drafted worse that us.

People have researched it.  No one has drafted fewer current NFL players than Macc over the past 4 years.  And that’s with having top of the round picks, consistently.  This isn’t hyperbole, he’s actually done the worst.

The whole Jets staff has spoonfed the writers "Best Player Available" nonsense.

The few things that stand out-if I as a college camp parent KNOW that EVERYONE at PSU thought Hackenberg was a total waste product, how does an NFL GM not know that. 

Usual Adams thing, he's a good safety, but he is a safety. 2017; A team as bereft at QB and offense generally has no business passing on Mahomes nor Watson, and going safety safety when you cannot score points was CRIMINAL. 

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Omg, you make it seem like the New York Jets before Macc have been nailing 2nd round picks for years, lol. From 2010- Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro, Devin Smith, Hackenberg, Maye, (Darnold-Best trade in Jets history).

Devin Smith couldn't stay healthy (happens). Maye unfortunately has battled injuries too, but has proven when healthy he's a starting NFL free Safety. 

I can't believe fans still harp on Hackenberg, when there were tons of fans on here that wanted him to take Paxton Lynch. The Bucs took Winston #1 overall in 2015, how's that panning out, Mariotta at 2, he's average at best. Most of the drafts have the addition of luck, sometimes things just fall into place (Colts go from Manning to Luck), how hard was it for Dorsey to take Mayfield & Ward? The previous GM set him up for those high picks. I just believe that GMs can get better, even after making some mistakes. 

Ducasse remarkably is still in the NFL. 

I don’t doubt for one second many of these draft picks were highly influenced by Bowles. For one, all the defensive picks have underperformed  which speaks volumes of Bowles’ ineptitude in evalutating talent. But the Hack pick has Macc written all over it. It was Macc that has totally botched the QB position since being GM. He held on to Geno way to long when he should have immediately cut ties with him. He didn’t conduct a diligent search for one when taking over which should have been his first order of business. Finally he did something right by getting rid of Geno but then exasperated the situation by resigning Fitz to a ridiculously expensive contract.  With his back against the wall he hinges his hopes on a wing and a prayer and selects Hack in the second round when every other GM on the planet knew this guy didn’t even warrant a fourth round pick. Then he follows that absurd action with an even more mind boggling move by taking Adams when we were desperate for a QB. Through nothing short of a miracle Darnold lands in our lap but at an extremely expensive cost. If you fire Bowles then you fire Macc as well.

The most comical part of the "gut instinct" arguments that are used to excuse Maccagnan for his incompetence is this idea that apparently the 2018 draft was the only one that was really his, but all it takes about is 5 minutes to look over the drafts and see that there is really nothing different in terms of how any of these drafts were handled, with the sole exception of a trade up done a month in advance.  All of the evidence says each years' draft decisions were made by the same person, and regardless of which person that actually was, it is still a horrific indictment of Macc.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plenty here more or less claim precisely this:

Any player drafted on defense, or picks they don't like in general = purely a Todd Bowles pick, and was made because Bowles has leverage over the GM and is the one who really has final say on draft picks.

And it's a simplistic logic. Bowles was a DB then a DB coach then a DC, and the offense has never been lights out (though look at the rosters he's had). Therefore he only wants to draft and coach players on defense.

It's amazing there are people who actually believe this lol.

? yep. It was a match made in heaven.. Of course bowles wants the D, in more ways then one ?. But Mac is the only idiot in the nfl who is 100% bpa.. this is an offensive league.. Look at all the teams at the top, great Os, not much D.. So naturally the smart gms reach for offense in draft, while Mac gladly will take the non pass rushing DL  and smirk his pick was graded hire than the gms who reach for O In the picks before his.. He bragged he got the number 1 bpa in the entire draft in leanord Williams at 6?

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Does it bother you that the GM of the team you root for has the NFLs worst draft record over his tenure?

He solved our quarterback issue and his tenure will be tied to Sam Darnold. I imagine he’ll be here as long as Sam is.

It is what it is. Let’s see what he can do now that we have a quarterback.

There us not a single shred of evidence that Bowles pushed for any of the players that the Jets have drafted. Nothing.

Of course, it’s akin to the flat-earthers - there is no reasoning, no facts, nothing that will sway them from their belief that Bowles was actually the one making the draft selections and signing free agents to contracts.

Earth is flat = Todd Bowles built this team. 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

How can he be in charge if both he and HC report directly to ownership. 

Gm is in charge of picking the players in the draft. Coach coaches players and picks his staff. If Mac is not assertive enough to take charge of the $hit that is in his job description under the title of main duties, the dude is worthless.

15 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

There us not a single shred of evidence that Bowles pushed for any of the players that the Jets have drafted. Nothing.

Of course, it’s akin to the flat-earthers - there is no reasoning, no facts, nothing that will sway them from their belief that Bowles was actually the one making the draft selections and signing free agents to contracts.

Earth is flat = Todd Bowles built this team. 

The far more logical thought is that Bowles was telling Mac he needs lots of offensive fire power to win in this league and Mac said screw your todd, you will get safeties, ILbs and Dline and like it!

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plenty here more or less claim precisely this:

Any player drafted on defense, or picks they don't like in general = purely a Todd Bowles pick, and was made because Bowles has leverage over the GM and is the one who really has final say on draft picks.

And it's a simplistic logic. Bowles was a DB then a DB coach then a DC, and the offense has never been lights out (though look at the rosters he's had). Therefore he only wants to draft and coach players on defense.

It's amazing there are people who actually believe this lol.

there is some logic to this reasoning.  we've seen a preponderance of drat and free agent resources go to the defense.  bowles does have significant sway over the top defensive picks because he is trying to build "his" defense.  he doesn't seem to know much about the offense although he does seem to want a ground and pound ball control style.

and by your response, if it was true it would seem that bowles knows more about drafting players than mac because the defensive picks have panned out better than mac's offensive picks.

39 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

WRs can't get open, OL can't block... but yeah, Maccagnan should keep his job, because ya know... Bowles!

This is secretly an excellent roster that should have been superbowl contenders this year. But no, we have Bowles. If not for him we’d have smoked the Pats today with  this roster. Our kicker made the pro bowl, you know!

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He solved our quarterback issue and his tenure will be tied to Sam Darnold. I imagine he’ll be here as long as Sam is.

It is what it is. Let’s see what he can do now that we have a quarterback.

While I think the “He got Darnold, so I’ll ignore everything else” is a poor way to think about it, I suppose it’s better than actually thinking he’s not terrible.

Sadly, had he done even okay prior to lucking into Darnold, the Pats may not have already clinched next years AFCE.

Archived