Rex to the U

JOJOTOWNSELL

Could you imagine? This would be the greatest thing ever.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/30/rex-ryan-has-backers-to-be-next-coach-at-miami/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Rex Ryan and the University of Miami turnover chain feels like a perfect marriage, and some former Hurricanes players think so too.

According to the Miami Herald, a number of ex-Miami players are pushing behind the scenes for the former Jets and Bills coach to replace Mark Richt, who abruptly retired Sunday. Ryan is believed to have interest if he is contacted, the report said.

Ryan, who is now an NFL analyst for ESPN, last coached in 2016, going 7-8 with the Bills before being fired. His overall record in the NFL – including playoffs – is 65-68, and Ryan took the Jets to consecutive AFC championship games in 2009 and 2010.

He coached several former Miami players, including Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, during his time in the NFL. His last coach job was as the defensive coordinator at Kanas State for a month in 1999. Fellow ex-Jets coach Herman Edwards went to the college ranks to lead Arizona State to a 7-6 record this season.

Richt, 58, said he was not forced out, and that the decision to retire was his.

“My love for The U is simply great,” Richt said in a statement. “My true desire is for our football program to return to greatness, and while terribly difficult, I feel that stepping down is in the best interests of the program.”

Richt said he informed Miami athletic director Blake James of his decision a few hours before the school sent out a statement announcing the move. The Hurricanes scheduled a news conference for later Sunday to discuss the situation and where the program will go from here.

James told the AP that he was stunned when he got the news Sunday morning.

“I wanted Mark to be our coach,” James said. “Last night, I thought he was our coach.”

Miami struggled to a 7-6 record this season, falling to Wisconsin in the Pinstripe Bowl on Thursday night.

The Hurricanes have lost nine of their last 16 games going back to a 10-0 start last season, were horrendous on offense at times in 2018 — totaling just 100 passing yards in their last two games — and saw several recruits who were committed decide to either sign elsewhere or re-open their college decisions.

Richt was 26-13 at Miami, and 171-64 in 18 seasons between Georgia and the Hurricanes.  — with AP

7AB2E89F-1E38-4E66-AA86-63B6308704A6.gif

It would be interesting. IMO Richt is the better coach. He’s got a long record of success in NCAAF in big time programs like Georgia and the U. I guess Rex’s brother would come along got the ride as DC. He’d have to produce fast. Just slightly above .500 is not going to hack it there. Ask Richt.

27 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not crazy. Rex, for all his faults, would be a GREAT recruiter.

I disagree. College coaches, good recruiters, are polished. They come with the reputation of guaranteeing a high school athlete will have a shot at the NFL. Rex’s ‘just one of the guys’ pitch would be good for recruiting idiots, but not the kids that carry a program. They have too many people around them helping guide their decision.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I disagree. College coaches, good recruiters, are polished. They come with the reputation of guaranteeing a high school athlete will have a shot at the NFL. Rex’s ‘just one of the guys’ pitch would be good for recruiting idiots, but not the kids that carry a program. They have too many people around them helping guide their decision.

I respectfully disagree. Recruiting is all about sales. You don't need to be polished, you don't need integrity, you need to be able to sell yourself, your school. Rex would be perfect for selling the "swag" of the U to high school kids from south florida. I think he'd kill it there.

3 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Please God don't do this to me.

Gotta disagree Bro.  I'm also a Canes fan......This has me excited.  Perfect fit.  Rex will be a GREAT  recruiter in South Florida, and be able to fire young Canes players up.

Let this be true 

Rex would probably be a fantastic college coach.
18-22 year old kids would eat that rah-rah sh*t right up.
Nfl players did too.

I mean Rex gets treated like garbage around here, he's the franchieses most successful coach I don't get the hate

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, funaz said:

Nfl players did too.

I mean Rex gets treated like garbage around here, he's the franchieses most successful coach I don't get the hate

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Did you know Parcells won with Dick Kotite’s players?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I respectfully disagree. Recruiting is all about sales. You don't need to be polished, you don't need integrity, you need to be able to sell yourself, your school. Rex would be perfect for selling the "swag" of the U to high school kids from south florida. I think he'd kill it there.

Plus it’s Miami plus Florida along with Texas are the two biggest high school football factories

Archived