Not enough has been discussed about how awful this defense is.

Jetsbb

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Blown leads, made Matt Barkley look like Montana, extraordinarily easy for every team to go up and down the field. Literally a bottom 5 defense and its barely discussed. So much focus on the offense but wow is this defense bad.

We had talent on D to keep us in almost any game but the defensive coaching was putrid.

This team needs about 2 or 3 guys who can actually get to the QB. We have no pass rush. We never have a pass rush. That has got to change. Go after Dee Ford and Dante Fowler Jr. in FA and look to draft a top edge rusher in the draft unless there is a better prospect available at offensive tackle.

We've got to get edge rushers in here. This is a passing league. You've got to be able to get pressure on the QB in order to make them make mistakes. 

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This team needs about 2 or 3 guys who can actually get to the QB. We have no pass rush. We never have a pass rush. That has got to change. Go after Dee Ford and Dante Fowler Jr. in FA and look to draft a top edge rusher in the draft unless there is a better prospect available at offensive tackle.

We've got to get edge rushers in here. This is a passing league. You've got to be able to get pressure on the QB in order to make them make mistakes. 

The last time we had a big time pass rusher was John Abraham for a few years in the early 00s, before that it was Gastineau and Klecko in the early-mid 80s. we've had plenty of good Ds w/o a big time pass rusher.  Yes we want one but that's not an excuse why the D was so awful under Bowles.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The last time we had a big time pass rusher was John Abraham for a few years in the early 00s, before that it was Gastineau and Klecko in the early-mid 80s. we've had plenty of good Ds w/o a big time pass rusher.  Yes we want one but that's not an excuse why the D was so awful under Bowles.

I didn't say it as an excuse for Bowles. He did a horrible job here. But you need a pass rush in the NFL. Can you win without one? Sure. But it makes everyones job a lot harder. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I didn't say it as an excuse for Bowles. He did a horrible job here. But you need a pass rush in the NFL. Can you win without one? Sure. But it makes everyones job a lot harder. 

of course but good coaches can scheme their way to a good pass rush.  Philly didn't have any big time pass rushers last year,  someone w/ Bowles' reputation as a defensive guru should have been able to generate a pass rush.  Actually, I thought this year they did a decent job and it still didn't help.  I'm all over the place, I'm not sure what to think anymore.  I'm just glad we have a new HC coming.

Archived