With The 3rd Pick In The 2019 NFL Draft The New York Jets Select

New York Mick

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you keep darnold upright he will make jags look good.  He’s making guys like Burnett and roberts look like nfl wrs.  

Makes no sense to me why we would trade so much for a qb and then draft DL when the qb is getting pummeled.  

That’s pretty much where I am. I can’t comprehend why people would rather get a passrusher or DL before helping Darnold. He’s 22 he could literally be the Jets starting QB for 15/18 more years. Build the team around him for the long run. The AFCE is going to need a new dynasty. It’s the Jets turn. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Since a lot of you guys are seriously underestimating Williams.

The draft guys have 2 biases that cause DL to be WAY overrated:

1. They overvalue the position in general. Unless he is so disruptive that he will be a perennial Top 10 sack guy, DL is behind QB, OT,True edge rusher, WR, CB in importance to a team. Also depending on the player behind truly elite RB and TE

2. They get all excited about the athletic differences between the top tier DL and the second group, but in reality play on the field is not all that different

Jets need to protect Darnold and give him weapons.Period.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The pick doesn’t worry me what worries me is Mac strikes out in free agency again and can’t get a legit HC

I am not jumping up and down over this move.  I am only half jumping up and down. I am dying to know what Chris Johnson's input will be when they discuss a coaching search

Pay whatever you need to sign Matt Paradis, sign another of the top guards available, take J. Williams, and you go a long way in protecting Darnold.  OL needs to be priority 1, 2, and 3 this off-season. 

Give a franchise QB time to throw and he can make average weapons look very good.  But a QB that's always on the run (or on the turf) can make very good weapons look average.

I'd love for a team like the Jags to fall in love with a QB and we trade down with them and still get Williams.  But even if he ends up a RT or even a G, if he's a Nelson/Scherff level player it will make a HUGE difference on offense and I'll take that even at #3.  But a trade down is still ideal.

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky

Posted on BR 16 hours ago. See where Allen is drafted at 22!

2019 NFL Mock Draft 

1. Arizona Cardinals: Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2. San Francisco 49ers: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
3. New York Jets: Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
4. Oakland Raiders: Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama
5. Detroit Lions: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
7. Buffalo Bills: Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
8. New York Giants: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
10. Atlanta Falcons: Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
11. Carolina Panthers: Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma
12. Denver Broncos: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
13. Cincinnati Bengals: Devin White, LB, LSU
14. Green Bay Packers: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

15. Miami Dolphins: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
16. Washington: Greg Little, OT, Mississippi
17. Cleveland Browns: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
18. Philadelphia Eagles: Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama
19. Pittsburgh Steelers: N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
20. Tennessee Titans: Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
21. Minnesota Vikings: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
22. Indianapolis Colts: Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky
23. Seattle Seahawks: Zach Allen, DE, Boston College
24. Baltimore Ravens: A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
25. Oakland Raiders (from Dallas): Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
26. Houston Texans: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
27. New England Patriots: Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
28. Oakland Raiders (from Chicago): David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State
29. Los Angeles Chargers: Brian Burns, DE, Florida State
30. Kansas City Chiefs: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
31. Los Angeles Rams: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
32. Green Bay Packers: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

You get an exceptional OL in free agency and you're burning a huge chunk of your cap. The value is in drafting and extending a high end OL. Far more sensible and financially responsible. 

Yea it’s not like we have $100 million in cap room

17 minutes ago, BigO said:

Posted on BR 16 hours ago. See where Allen is drafted at 22!

2019 NFL Mock Draft 

1. Arizona Cardinals: Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2. San Francisco 49ers: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
3. New York Jets: Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
4. Oakland Raiders: Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama
5. Detroit Lions: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
7. Buffalo Bills: Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
8. New York Giants: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
10. Atlanta Falcons: Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
11. Carolina Panthers: Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma
12. Denver Broncos: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
13. Cincinnati Bengals: Devin White, LB, LSU
14. Green Bay Packers: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

15. Miami Dolphins: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
16. Washington: Greg Little, OT, Mississippi
17. Cleveland Browns: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
18. Philadelphia Eagles: Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama
19. Pittsburgh Steelers: N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
20. Tennessee Titans: Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
21. Minnesota Vikings: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
22. Indianapolis Colts: Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky
23. Seattle Seahawks: Zach Allen, DE, Boston College
24. Baltimore Ravens: A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
25. Oakland Raiders (from Dallas): Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
26. Houston Texans: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
27. New England Patriots: Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
28. Oakland Raiders (from Chicago): David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State
29. Los Angeles Chargers: Brian Burns, DE, Florida State
30. Kansas City Chiefs: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
31. Los Angeles Rams: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
32. Green Bay Packers: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

We are 5 months away from the draft Allen has been rated all over the place even as high as 4th overall

83B4EF84-10A9-41F9-8383-7BEA9B8CCAD1.thumb.jpeg.25b723d329bad8125c03ccfe73e4bef7.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Carnival Barker said:

Pay whatever you need to sign Matt Paradis, sign another of the top guards available, take J. Williams, and you go a long way in protecting Darnold.  OL needs to be priority 1, 2, and 3 this off-season. 

Give a franchise QB time to throw and he can make average weapons look very good.  But a QB that's always on the run (or on the turf) can make very good weapons look average.

I'd love for a team like the Jags to fall in love with a QB and we trade down with them and still get Williams.  But even if he ends up a RT or even a G, if he's a Nelson/Scherff level player it will make a HUGE difference on offense and I'll take that even at #3.  But a trade down is still ideal.

We can significantly overhaul the OL and make it a top 10 unit just via free agency the guys are available in this market as UFA

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The draft guys have 2 biases that cause DL to be WAY overrated:

1. They overvalue the position in general. Unless he is so disruptive that he will be a perennial Top 10 sack guy, DL is behind QB, OT,True edge rusher, WR, CB in importance to a team. Also depending on the player behind truly elite RB and TE

2. They get all excited about the athletic differences between the top tier DL and the second group, but in reality play on the field is not all that different

Jets need to protect Darnold and give him weapons.Period.

The other thing is Bama Dlinemen often look dominant because their defense is almost like a NFL defense playing against a college squad. Not to say Quinnen isn't good I'm just not sure I'd spend the 3rd on him. If I was going D , I'd probably take Allen or Devin White.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They need more then a few jags. They tried that sh*t the last 12 years and it hasn’t worked. The last time they drafted a OL in the first round was 2006. They need to draft a OL in the first round as well as get a few in FA. 

If it’s a truly great LT prospect, then ok at #3. If he’s someone who really projects elsewhere but you want to force-feed him out at LT then no.

No other position on the OL is worth that high of a pick because LT is the only one that doesn’t shake loose in FA unless it’s someone seriously injured recently, on the wrong side of 30, or sucks. If you want to draft a guard or RT drop down enough to pick up someone’s 1st rounder this year and next year (and possibly more) and then take a G or RT. No way a prospect at either of those positions is worth two 1st rounders or more. 

There are some much better than jag veteran FAs available, and the team has the money to ink more than one. Sign the top 5-10 OL positions you can in FA. Use a top 3 pick only to draft the one you cannot simply sign in FA.

I want a better OL, too, but if the choice is between a G/RT prospect and a unique-skill edge rusher we’ve lacked since John Abraham, I’m taking the edge rusher 10x out of 10. Especially when the team has the money and opportunity to sign both a G/C and a RT in FA this year.

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it’s a truly great LT prospect, then ok at #3. If he’s someone who really projects elsewhere but you want to force-feed him out at LT then no.

No other position on the OL is worth that high of a pick because LT is the only one that doesn’t shake loose in FA unless it’s someone seriously injured recently, on the wrong side of 30, or sucks..

I used to think this. But we've been trying to sign fa/ trade for G/Cs the past few years and that's been a disaster too. I have a feeling Jonah will neutralize Clemson's outside passrush next week and solidify himself as an OT any in the next couple of months anyway.

I see a lot of folks pushing for Q Williams but unless he is Aaron Donald-esque or Jj Watt mold, i am cool with passing on DLs after our experience focusing on drafting that position in recent years... (I say that assuming that Bosa and Allen go 1 and 2). 

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No other position on the OL is worth that high of a pick because LT is the only one that doesn’t shake loose in FA unless it’s someone seriously injured recently, on the wrong side of 30, or sucks. If you want to draft a guard or RT drop down enough to pick up someone’s 1st rounder this year and next year (and possibly more) and then take a G or RT. No way a prospect at either of those positions is worth two 1st rounders or more. 

There are some much better than jag veteran FAs available, and the team has the money to ink more than one. Sign the top 5-10 OL positions you can in FA. Use a top 3 pick only to draft the one you cannot simply sign in FA.

I want a better OL, too, but if the choice is between a G/RT prospect and a unique-skill edge rusher we’ve lacked since John Abraham, I’m taking the edge rusher 10x out of 10. Especially when the team has the money and opportunity to sign both a G/C and a RT in FA this year.

If it a choice between a DL and RT/OG I’m going with OL. If Bosa falls it’s a no brainer he’s the choice. 

1 hour ago, TRUE GREEN said:

No one..  There is no failing to trade down.  No matter what you have to trade down. Need picks.  Williams could be the pick but unless you can guarantee he is Aaron Donald.... it is a risk.   Lets trade down and GET GREEDY.

someone will be interested in moving up, there always is. it depends on the combine and who falls in love with who

54 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I used to think this. But we've been trying to sign fa/ trade for G/Cs the past few years and that's been a disaster too. I have a feeling Jonah will neutralize Clemson's outside passrush next week and solidify himself as an OT any in the next couple of months anyway.

I see a lot of folks pushing for Q Williams but unless he is Aaron Donald-esque or Jj Watt mold, i am cool with passing on DLs after our experience focusing on drafting that position in recent years... (I say that assuming that Bosa and Allen go 1 and 2). 

Not really. It was just last year only for Norwell, and tossing an extra million per year plus a little higher guarantee could have gotten it done. I’m unaware of anyone they made an effort to trade for (unless I’m just forgetting). There were no Paradis-level centers available last year either. 

But if you’re really worried about this, then it highlights why all this cap room is not preferable to already having good players signed. Not only are these new players more expensive to sign, but we’re limited to who is available now, not who we ideally want (or wanted).

I don’t figure to see another Aaron Donald type pass rusher; they’re harder to predict (neither Donald nor Watt were top 3 picks, but both sure would have been if anyone had a functioning crystal ball).

These unique type pass rushers have tremendous value and it’s simply far more than a friggin’ guard or RT teams routinely fill adequately enough in round 3. They never hit free agency until they’re on their 3rd (or 4th) contracts because they’re too valuable.  A top 3 pick is too valuable to use on a RT or a G (I guess unless that’s literally one of the last 2 holes the team has, and even then I’m not crazy about the idea). OK to take those positions in round 1, but not up at #3 because a pick that high can be parlayed into at least a pair of 1s, and on a team with this many holes (including edge rusher) I’m not burning/trading a pair of 1s for a single RT or G prospect.

I get that anyone in the DL mold is going to piss off a lot of people on draft day because of the team’s draft history. A consistent, unique-skill edge rusher is nothing like a safety or Leo-type DE/DT (let alone like a 220-pound mental midget LB). The idea is to not pick this highly again, and an edge rusher opportunity doesn’t simply present itself to us next year instead just because we’d ideally rather hold off on that until next year so we can break the D streak. They’re available when they’re available, not upon demand. Conversely, adequate OL upgrades/replacements are avaialble to every team via draft and/or FA every season regardless of expected draft position.

6 minutes ago, rammagen said:

as long as he signs olinemen with his cash

I think you sign a pass rusher.. Go get Fowler Jr... except not for big money.  See if Demarcus Lawerence will hit the market.. Everyone is saying through money at Leveon.. As much as Leveon is a beast he took a year off... My guess is he will be out of shape and get hurt.  I significant injury that will keep him out for a while and that money will go to waste.  This draft has olineman and running back depth.  Sign big time pass rusher and maybe one or two olineman.  Olineman avaialble in free agent arent great either.

Archived