With The 3rd Pick In The 2019 NFL Draft The New York Jets Select

New York Mick

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.cover1.net/2019-nfl-draft-jonah-williams-alabama/

You probably noticed that I said offensive lineman and not tackle. Currently, I project Jonah Williams to play right tackle at the next level. However, there’s been some discussion of him potentially making a move inside and playing guard for an offensive line on Sundays. Can I disagree with that? Nope. Last year, I projected Connor Williams from Texas to play left tackle, and he ranked as a top-10 player on my board. He went 50th overall to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2018 NFL Draft and has transitioned to guard for the Cowboys. Anything can happen for any offensive lineman, and for Jonah Williams, everything is on the table.

It seems unlikely that he’s truly his listed 6’5″ and 301 lbs. In fact, it wouldn’t be surprising if he measured in at less than 300 pounds to run better for the NFL Scouting Combine, but there’s clearly some concern over his length to handle the blindside for a quarterback. His lack of arm strength is evident on film, and again, I think he’s best suited to play right tackle, but I’m also not throwing out the possibility of moving inside.

Williams’s hand placement is relatively consistent and his initial punch is strong. He can climb to the second level and attack linebackers with proper angles and power. In the short areas along the offensive line, he can pull down the line of scrimmage or even widen the hole on outside zone. However, there are times that he doesn’t initiate contact in open space, but that shouldn’t be too alarming. Lastly, his footwork is relatively consistent, which helps him anchor and match power with power. There will be times that he struggles with a good speed rusher, but he should be able to handle pass rushers that can counter because of his lateral ability and his ability to recover and reset his hands.

If you’re a team that’s looking for offensive line help, you should consider Jonah Williams. He’s not as guaranteed as Quenton Nelson was last year, but he’s a legitimate offensive lineman in the NFL. There are no concerns about him starting from day one, and if I had to guess where he’d fit at the next level, I’d have to guess the Buffalo Bills. They have a need at right tackle and need to consider protecting their investment, Josh Allen. Keep in mind that Williams played for the Bills’ offensive coordinator, Brian Daboll at Alabama. Reuniting the two could do wonders for this offensive line. That’s just one of many teams that would make sense for Jonah Williams, the most technically sound offensive lineman in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Very likely Williams ends up as a RT/Guard for all you Jonah Williams fans.

I’ve read the whole thread.

imo don’t overthink this. Take Jonah Williams and find where he fits best. Put him and Darnold together and don’t worry about those positions for the next decade.

It’s synerfy- they’ll  make each other better - the better one does the better the other does. 

Well with no real QB's in this years draft, Bosa isn't falling to 3. 

The worst outcome is yet another DT. We are likely going Edge or OLine. The Senior Bowl,combine, and Pro-Days will sort the wheat from The chaff. 

I'm hoping we get a Wentz type rise on a QB, and we get a good offer to move out, getting at very least our 2nd back.

1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

https://www.cover1.net/2019-nfl-draft-jonah-williams-alabama/

Very likely Williams ends up as a RT/Guard for all you Jonah Williams fans.

That's why he should be the pick 6#-10, but not at #3. Trade down or pick Bosa when he slips to us at #3 just like the others that fell to us: Leo, Adams, & Darnold. 

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's why he should be the pick 6#-10, but not at #3. Trade down or pick Bosa when he slips to us at #3 just like the others that fell to us: Leo, Adams, & Darnold. 

If Bosa slips to 3 the Jets should take him and hope they get OL in FA unlike last year but I highly doubt he is. 

We need to see how J Williams looks during the champions. If he dominates against Clemson he’s an easy pick at 3. 

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If it a choice between a DL and RT/OG I’m going with OL. If Bosa falls it’s a no brainer he’s the choice. 

If you're talking about another Leo DT (or even someone better but not OMGOMGOMG), I agree sort of.

My top 3 pick would never ever ever ever ever be just a guard or a RT, and no I don't care what the draft profile looks like.

When starting that high, you can trade down, pick up another 1st rounder, and still get a probowl level G/RT. 

Unless it's a player that is simply unattainable via FA until they're 30-35 yrs old (i.e. a LT) then 1/5 of the OL is not worth a pair of 1st round picks. You're still only as good as your weakest link and this OL has 3 of them. Oh yeah, and it still lacks a demon pass rusher that's a real shot in the dark outside the top 5 overall; for such a player who's like having a 12th defender on the field, you could try and miss with your mid-late 1st rounders 10 years in a row. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it’s a truly great LT prospect, then ok at #3. If he’s someone who really projects elsewhere but you want to force-feed him out at LT then no.

No other position on the OL is worth that high of a pick because LT is the only one that doesn’t shake loose in FA unless it’s someone seriously injured recently, on the wrong side of 30, or sucks. If you want to draft a guard or RT drop down enough to pick up someone’s 1st rounder this year and next year (and possibly more) and then take a G or RT. No way a prospect at either of those positions is worth two 1st rounders or more. 

There are some much better than jag veteran FAs available, and the team has the money to ink more than one. Sign the top 5-10 OL positions you can in FA. Use a top 3 pick only to draft the one you cannot simply sign in FA.

I want a better OL, too, but if the choice is between a G/RT prospect and a unique-skill edge rusher we’ve lacked since John Abraham, I’m taking the edge rusher 10x out of 10. Especially when the team has the money and opportunity to sign both a G/C and a RT in FA this year.

True, and that’s why FA should be used to buy OL with if the expectation is that the jets will not be able to trade back from 3 and will likely take an edge rusher.  They still have 2 3rd rounders that could be used for interior OL.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you're talking about another Leo DT (or even someone better but not OMGOMGOMG), I agree sort of.

My top 3 pick would never ever ever ever ever be just a guard or a RT, and no I don't care what the draft profile looks like.

When starting that high, you can trade down, pick up another 1st rounder, and still get a probowl level G/RT. 

Unless it's a player that is simply unattainable via FA until they're 30-35 yrs old (i.e. a LT) then 1/5 of the OL is not worth a pair of 1st round picks. You're still only as good as your weakest link and this OL has 3 of them. Oh yeah, and it still lacks a demon pass rusher that's a real shot in the dark outside the top 5 overall; for such a player who's like having a 12th defender on the field, you could try and miss with your mid-late 1st rounders 10 years in a row. 

If we can trade down and get extra picks and get an OT I’m all for it. The original post was not being able to trade down. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

True, and that’s why FA should be used to buy OL with if the expectation is that the jets will not be able to trade back from 3 and will likely take an edge rusher.  They still have 2 3rd rounders that could be used for interior OL.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

If we can trade down and get extra picks and get an OT I’m all for it. The original post was not being able to trade down. 

You're always able to trade back. There's always someone smitten with a prospect in your slot because every team's needs aren't the same every year. The only question is if the compensation in return is worth it.

The bottom line is if you're targeting someone who'll definitely be there a few slots later then trade down a few slots even if you're getting less than that 25 year-old chart says you should get. You don't take a mid-1st round prospect at #3. At worst you'd trade down to #11ish and take him, even if you only got a 2nd rounder back. You're drafting the same player - or are similarly fixing the same problem/hole - in round 1, and now have a free 2nd round pick. Let the Mehtas of the world cry about chart value; you'll know you got the same player plus another free high pick.

Really it's too hard to gauge until the senior bowl and the combine are in the past. Way too much shuffling happens after that every year. This time last year there was discussion about Mason Rudolph in round 1. Then 3 months later he goes in the middle of round 3. Then the other way around Flacco was a 3rd round prospect in late December / early January and then he gets drafted in the teens. Ditto Mayfield who was a late 1 (or even a round 2) prospect for many; then he goes #1 overall, and whatever the future holds at least so far he easily had the best rookie season in the QB draft of the millenium.

So there may yet be an prospect who truly projects to LT, who's worthy of taking around 10-12. In that case, sure trade down to 8-9 or so and don't worry about the chart value; it's all free money. 

But LT and OL are not interchangeable targets. Even if you personally think a guard is just as important on the field, the fact is very good (even pro bowl and all pro) guards and RTs hit free agency every year, and RT in particular is one of the cheapest starting positions on the field along with TE. You just don't target one at #3 overall; they can be bought. It pretty much never happens with LTs. They need to be drafted, or you need to get super lucky with a later pick, or you're just going to have to settle for a meh player protecting Darnold's blind side against good REs, ROLBs, and shifting to pick up other smaller, faster, quicker outside S/LB blitzers to his side (never mind if he's also deficient in the ground game). You can't just upgrade that spot on demand; you have to wait for the opportunity, and there'll be competition for that player every time so the next opportunity might really be 3-5 years alter. The last time an under-30 yr old LT was available via FA was Okung in 2016 (when he was just-under 30 at 29, and had legitimate injury-reliability issues).

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

Someone will start a poll on this soon enough.  I think Josh Allen may be the value/need pick there.  I'm wishfully thinking that another OT like Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor could move up to become worthy of the pick there.  Jonah just seems destined for another position on the OL but not LT.

there is still allot of time before the draft someone will rise and someone will fall.  They have 5 teams picking qbs on a radio show here . the question is who gets desperate and reaches for the guy they want and does a trade

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s a pretty stacked market for OL.  Legit edge rushers however never hit the open market

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're always able to trade back. There's always someone smitten with a prospect in your slot because every team's needs aren't the same every year. The only question is if the compensation in return is worth it.

The bottom line is if you're targeting someone who'll definitely be there a few slots later then trade down a few slots even if you're getting less than that 25 year-old chart says you should get. You don't take a mid-1st round prospect at #3. At worst you'd trade down to #11ish and take him, even if you only got a 2nd rounder back. You're drafting the same player - or are similarly fixing the same problem/hole - in round 1, and now have a free 2nd round pick. Let the Mehtas of the world cry about chart value; you'll know you got the same player plus another free high pick.

Really it's too hard to gauge until the senior bowl and the combine are in the past. Way too much shuffling happens after that every year. This time last year there was discussion about Mason Rudolph in round 1. Then 3 months later he goes in the middle of round 3. Then the other way around Flacco was a 3rd round prospect in late December / early January and then he gets drafted in the teens. Ditto Mayfield who was a late 1 (or even a round 2) prospect for many; then he goes #1 overall, and whatever the future holds at least so far he easily had the best rookie season in the QB draft of the millenium.

So there may yet be an prospect who truly projects to LT, who's worthy of taking around 10-12. In that case, sure trade down to 8-9 or so and don't worry about the chart value; it's all free money. 

But LT and OL are not interchangeable targets. Even if you personally think a guard is just as important on the field, the fact is very good (even pro bowl and all pro) guards and RTs hit free agency every year, and RT in particular is one of the cheapest starting positions on the field along with TE. You just don't target one at #3 overall; they can be bought. It pretty much never happens with LTs. They need to be drafted, or you need to get super lucky with a later pick, or you're just going to have to settle for a meh player protecting Darnold's blind side against good REs, ROLBs, and shifting to pick up other smaller, faster, quicker outside S/LB blitzers to his side (never mind if he's also deficient in the ground game). You can't just upgrade that spot on demand; you have to wait for the opportunity, and there'll be competition for that player every time so the next opportunity might really be 3-5 years alter. The last time an under-30 yr old LT was available via FA was Okung in 2016 (when he was just-under 30 at 29, and had legitimate injury-reliability issues).

We won’t know until the NCAA Championship and combine. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

year. This time last year there was discussion about Mason Rudolph in round 1. Then 3 months later he goes in the middle of round 3. Then the other way around Flacco was a 3rd round prospect in late December / early January and then he gets drafted in the teens. Ditto Mayfield who was a late 1 (or even a round 2) prospect for many; then he goes #1 overall, and whatever the future holds at least so far he easily had the best rookie season in the QB draft of the millenium.

There's a lot of truth in your post (and you and I are generally aligned) but just wanted to point out that while YES there are certainly players who benefit immensely from the draft cycle program (case study: UTSA pass rusher Marcus Davenport).... there's also a lot of BS that goes on with the people in #DraftMedia essentially making up their own narratives for clicks and reads. Mason Rudolph as much of a chance sniffing the 1st round as I do... He was never in the conversation. 

On 12/31/2018 at 12:07 AM, New York Mick said:

They tried and couldn’t so who do you pick? 

DAMN IT!  I didn't know they tried.

So, IF they can't trade down, I would take Clelin Ferrell.  The reports on the OT's just don't seem to warrant taking at 3.  Again, if we could drop back into the mid-teens, and a guy like Greg Little, Jonah Williams, or Tray Adams were there, then yes.  I don't like any of those guys so far for the #3 pick. 

Are you SURE they tried to trade down and couldn't?

On 12/30/2018 at 7:51 PM, kevinc855 said:

WAtching Brady basically sit in the pocket for as long as he wanted today take the best pass rusher available at 3 and grab the best OL on the board in the early 3rd rd 

Well w/o Bowles on the job Brady will have less time with our exact 2018 roster....just saying....

All great in theory to say if a player is supposed to get picked at 11 to trade back to 8 or 9 but the draft is always filled with surprises. Let’s say we trade from 3 to 9 and get less compensation than the chart calls for but a team at 7 surprisingly picks the OL we were targeting or another team knows what we are doing and trades up in front of us. Now we are SOL. What’s better, an extra 3rd rounder but having to go with a different player or getting your man at 3 even though he was slated to go 12?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

54 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

DAMN IT!  I didn't know they tried.

So, IF they can't trade down, I would take Clelin Ferrell.  The reports on the OT's just don't seem to warrant taking at 3.  Again, if we could drop back into the mid-teens, and a guy like Greg Little, Jonah Williams, or Tray Adams were there, then yes.  I don't like any of those guys so far for the #3 pick. 

Are you SURE they tried to trade down and couldn't?

Yup. It’s too easy to say trade down and then take a needed position. 

On 1/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, JetFreak89 said:

All great in theory to say if a player is supposed to get picked at 11 to trade back to 8 or 9 but the draft is always filled with surprises. Let’s say we trade from 3 to 9 and get less compensation than the chart calls for but a team at 7 surprisingly picks the OL we were targeting or another team knows what we are doing and trades up in front of us. Now we are SOL. What’s better, an extra 3rd rounder but having to go with a different player or getting your man at 3 even though he was slated to go 12?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

You make judgments how far you’re willing to trade back based on others around there that’d be available. 

Regardless, you don’t take a mid-round prospect, projected as high as #11, way up at #3. You don’t do that unless maybe if he’s literally the final missing piece of a true SB contender. Even then meh.

A team with at least half its starting roster in need of upgrades does not use the trade-down equivalent of at least 2 #1 picks on a prospect at #3 who was projected to get taken outside the top 10.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You make judgments how far you’re willing to trade back based on others around there that’d be available. 

Regardless, you don’t take a mid-round prospect, projected as high as #11, way up at #3. You don’t do that unless maybe if he’s literally the final missing piece of a true SB contender. Even then meh.

A team with at least half its starting roster in need of upgrades does not use the trade-down equivalent of at least 2 #1 picks on a prospect at #3 who was projected to get taken outside the top 10.

The higher the pick the less you can reach because of need except for qb.  The jets are not close to being a player or two away, and are realistically at least 2 years from making the playoffs.  If they stay at 3 i hope they pick a guy who can be a star, but if they trade back to the 10-12 range i hope they focus more on specific positions namely the OL.

It's either Bosa or Quinnen, whichever falls to #3. IF the Jets can trade down to 8+ then, BY ALL MEANS, do it because then selecting Jonah Williams would be more palatable with additional picks. I'd even be happy going as far down as #15 and see if Jonah slips that far OR slightly reach for Greg Little (OleMiss LT) and the BOUNTY of draft picks hauled in for that leap of a trade back.

Mac has a HORSESHOE up his @$$ with Top 6 picks. He Nailed #3 last year and has it again in 2019.

3 is a factor of 6!!!!! It's meant to be. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Josh Allen is NOT worth the #3 pick. Barkevious Mingo ALL OVER again. 

Disagree completely.  Allen is a beast physically and has multiple moves.  Has 31.5 sacks last 2 years facing elite competition he’s a no brainer

Just now, Philc1 said:

Disagree completely.  Allen is a beast physically and has multiple moves.  Has 31.5 sacks last 2 years facing elite competition he’s a no brainer

Fair enough. I haven't watched much but highlights, and in those, he has a FREE PASS to the QB. I'm skeptical and if the Jets are stuck at #3 w/no other options I want the BlueChip Elite player despite position or need. Allen may grow on me, but I'm not sold as of now and if we switch to a 4-3 under a new regime, then he may not be as valuable to the Jets unlike in a 3-4. JMO. 

Archived