Poll: If Cleveland Offered The Jets Baker straight-up for Darnold, your answer would be...

TuscanyTile2

Poll: If Cleveland Offered The Jets Baker straight-up for Darnold, your answer would be...  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: If Cleveland Offered The Jets Baker straight-up for Darnold, your answer would be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/04/2019 at 06:03 AM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I mentioned this earlier, and was called a troll, lol. @NYJCAP2 summed it up perfectly just above your post.

You have been a troll. You don't like Darnold as much as Mayfield we all get it. However, Darnold has been VERY good since returning probably as good or better than Mayfield with more weapons. Darnold has a higher ceiling and has show unique ability to learn. He went from one of the least ball secure QBs in college to one of the best in the NFL in terms of fumbling. He threw like 1 interception in 4 games. Mayfield threw 3 today. Mayfield has much more experience so is closer to a finished product. Both can be Top 5 in the NFL. We never had a chance to pick Mayfield so the comparison is lame. I will say this. One of the talk shows did like a redraft of the 2018 draft and more NFL executives still preferred Darnold over Mayfield.  Darnold will have the better career IMO

I had the 2 on equal footing as far as prospects go, with Darnold having the slight edge because of the sky high potential.  I never thought that Sam would fall and I'm more than happy with him, especially with how he finished the season.  Look, I'm going to be honest and admit it: I thought today was going to be an absolute nightmare for the kid. I'm talking Miami debacle part 2, electric boogaloo.  I've seen Belichick do it a hundred times to Rookies, and with all the terrible things around Sam (coaching, talent, etc.), I wasn't expecting anything different.  Instead he didn't throw a single pick, should have had at least 2 TDs if Herndon caught a beautiful ball or Anderson wasn't bear-hugged by Gilmore preventing an easy catch, and made a couple of really beautiful throws (some of which were also dropped, such as the wheel route to Cannon). 

Just be happy with what we have and appreciate that we have legitimate hope at this position for the first time in almost 20 years.

I genuinely like all 5 of these rookie QBs. They all seem plenty good enough, it will honestly come down to each Franchise sourrounding them with the right coaches and players imo.
i would honestly take Darnold though straight up

Yep. You said it perfectly for me. I just like the new influx of young quality qbs over the part 2 years. It’s exciting.

Mayfield is great and fun to watch. I like him but I feel like he has greater capacity for trouble than darnold. Once the winning really starts he may have trouble with his ego.
. If we can surround darnold with the types of weapons mayfield has, he will be a winner more consistently imo.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

OMG. Let it go. Who holds the rookie records for passing yards, completion percentage, completions, sacks,  receptions, receiving yards, tackles, net punting average, field goals, etc... 

Answer: no one cares. They are not real records 

You care enough to discredit record breakers...so at the minimum you care. 

Also, none of the records you mentioned mattered to this topic. Let it go. 

42 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You care enough to discredit record breakers...so at the minimum you care. 

Also, none of the records you mentioned mattered to this topic. Let it go. 

...but.... but.... but.... they are ROOKIE records so they matter. Someone put them in a book, so they ARE important. I think we need a season record for every year of experience. Why only have rookie records? They should have 2d year, 3d year, 4th year, etc.... records. We need to put all records in the context of the number of years a player has in the league.

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

...but.... but.... but.... they are ROOKIE records so they matter. Someone put them in a book, so they ARE important. I think we need a season record for every year of experience. Why only have rookie records? They should have 2d year, 3d year, 4th year, etc.... records. We need to put all records in the context of the number of years a player has in the league.

I was really just messing with you the last time. I didnt read the above. 

I was past it last night. 

Once we get through the playoffs I guess we'll see who ROTY will be. 

?

On 12/30/2018 at 9:37 PM, Grandy said:

So you'd take our supporting cast over bakers???

Yeah such a horrible team around him he had to carry. Gimme a break. Baker has a much better cast than any other rookie QB other than maybe Lamar, this shouldn't even be a discussion. Also that Browns team of the last 2 years is much much different from the one this year, minus Deshone kizer as well.

Most of that improvement is due to philosophy change with kitchen as OC.  the time baker holds the ball is shortened as is his dropback steps.   before the change baker was being hit  at an alarmingly high rate.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:05 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

We've seen 1 season from each.  Let's lay our cards (no Josh Rosen jokes) on the table here.

I agree with the pundits who say Darnold has the higher ceiling.  Darnold has shown a good temperament.  And remember, Baker played a lot more football in college and is older.  Plus he has had much better weapons.  They will both be good.  Will Baker be Drew Brees, another successful short QB ( there have not been many lately)?  Remains to be seen.  3 INTs the other day, 2 because he was too short.  I think teams will play him differently next year.

Baker was always my #2 prospect behind Darnold. He is more pro ready (more college experience) and is more accurate so not surprised he had a great season with a nice offense around him. I’ll still take Sam though, he’s going to be special 

36 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Baker was always my #2 prospect behind Darnold. He is more pro ready (more college experience) and is more accurate so not surprised he had a great season with a nice offense around him. I’ll still take Sam though, he’s going to be special 

Funny thing is that I was super amped about Baker and thought he was the best college QB prospect. PFF loved him and well if almost all othher draft experts preferred Darnold, then whatever, he was the guy. It seemed impossible that Sam Darnold, would ever fall past 2 that I did not really look into him much until after we drafted him. I saw him play a few times, and thought wow he's really good, I can see why he'll be the #1 pick. 

After 1 year, Mayfield has really impressed and has validated his #1 spot, I have seen quite a few of Bakers games and he will be an elite QB in the NFL for a long time.

But Darnold is way more impressive to me. He improves almost every game. Because of the situation he was in with the ludicrously bad playcalling, mediocre OL and lack of playmakers I actually find Darnold the better performer this year. His ceiling is as high as any QB that has been drafted certainly since Luck, and he has HOF potential.

We have SAM DARNOLD.

I give credit to Baker for being a little more polished currently only because he has 2 years on Sam. But if you look at the talent/protection Baker gets compared to Sam its night and day. Sure Sam had a rough 3 game stretch early in the season but thats expected for 21 year old. Plus when Sam came back from injury he was basically carrying this team with little talent and going against some tough teams like the Texans.  Hell even the Patriots game is a bit deceiving because he was screwed out of two touchdowns that first half. Not saying we would of won but would of at least made in more interesting.  I just feel Sam has the better overall package and mentality

Archived