Bowles gets the axe + Mac stays ***official***

Integrity28

1 hour ago, usapaw said:

Bye bye Todd. Seemed like a nice guy but in way over his ability. Let Mac pick a coach and then we can decide if he is a legit GM. Bowles just never had a clue with developing any talent. The guy was so negative about rookies and wanted to keep playing an old qb. Damn, I am 61 but you have to advance the talent chain. If Mac fails after this year hen so be it.  We need a proven veteran coach, but not old jag players. 

How many years of Darnold’s rookie contract and your life are you willing to waste to find out if the guy who’s been the least successful in the draft over the past 4 years, suddenly learns how to draft?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rammagen said:

I want to agree but just cant Bowles was such a crap show  we could have drafted studs and they would have sucked. I want to something from mac but Bowles never developed  anyone and it can be argued players regressed under him.  I am torn on Macc he had enough talent on this team with decent coaching to be 7-9 Bowles blew games with bad calls not changing game plans or having the players come out completely flat. That is not teh gm.

Do we need talent yes by the boat load but more importantly we need a coach to get the talent out of these players

Nope. Not even close, and there are dozens of examples that directly contradict this myth.

1. According to this belief, Jamal Adams is a would-be stud who instead has sucked his first 2 seasons. Also he’s no better in year 2 than he was as a rookie?
  2. Henry Anderson regressed under Bowles? We got him with a throwaway 7th rounder and he just had his only good season, far exceeding expectations.
  3. Fitz had his best season under Bowles,
  4. McCown QB’d the offense to a semi-respectable level despite the GM tanking the roster for the #1 pick (and screwed that up, too). 
  5. Chris Ivory had what was easily the most productive and reliable season of his career under Bowles - even as a receiver - and became instantly worse in every way in Jax the very next season. 
  6. Enunwa (when healthy) didn’t improve dramatically under Bowles? 
  7. Buster Skrine - meh player that he is - was so much better when he was playing in Cleveland?
  8. UDFA Robby Anderson played well under Bowles, and that’s because he has talent. The other WRs Macc drafted didn’t because they suck. 
  9. Mo had his best season under Bowles (until he got paid and then mailed it in).
  10. Calvin Pryor even was decent for a year under Bowles in 2015.
  11. Trumaine Johnson (when he played) was allegedly better in 2018 than 2017; the Rams had enough money to keep him.
  12. Claiborne was better and more reliable under Bowles than he was in Dallas.
  13. Brandon Marshall had arguably his best season (or close enough to it) under Bowles, after what seemed like his first year on a downhill slide with Chicago in 2014. Think he wasn’t good a year later because of Bowles? Look at his post-Jets career.
  14. Eric Decker bounced back from his injury and had a plenty good season under Bowles in 2015. After his 2016 injury he was never a reliable WR again and couldn’t even make the Pats’ roster. 
  15. Herndon did well for a rookie under Bowles. Not unlike Anderson, it’s because he has some talent so the coaching staff had something to work with. The other TEs didn’t because they have little to no talent (from 2015-2017 the best TE Macc gave Bowles was friggin’ ASJ).
  16. Brian Winters developed noticeably better under Bowles (when healthy). This Idzik draft pick is still easily the team’s best and most talented lineman.
  17. Brandon Shell quickly developed into a starter under Bowles; about as good as he was ever expected to be.
  18. Beachum was awful in Jacksonville in 2016, but became at least passable under Bowles since then.
  19. Snacks didn’t exactly suck in his one year with Bowles. His play was good enough under Bowles to get this 2-down NT a giant contract a year later.
  20. Revis was still fine while he was in shape and trying, despite this supposed Bowles handicap. Then he got fat and lazy and sucked. He played no better for the great Andy Reid after we cut him.
  21. Maye was an instant starter as a rookie and looked fine. He was improving under Bowles’ coaching before getting injured.
  22. Jermaine Kearse had the best season of his career under Bowles (with Josh McCown as his QB).
  23. Previously-forgettable Demario Davis had his best season and turned his whole career around under Bowles.
  24. ASJ got his life straightened out playing under Bowles, and at least for half a season looked ok here. Ultimately he just isn’t any better than that, but there’s a good chance nice-guy Bowles had a positive impact on him.
  25. Powell was plenty good under Bowles.
  26. Prior to the scheme change, James Carpenter had his 2 best career seasons under Bowles. He played far better than he was expected to be the day he was signed.
  27. Jordan Jenkins has started to develop and get progressively better each year under Bowles.
  28. Sheldon Richardson got worse after leaving Bowles. He was often out of position here, but that’s because there was a bottleneck at the position, and since Richardson was easily the most athletically versatile of the 3 he was the one most suited for moving around. The alternative would be to keep one of them on the sideline. Besides, it’s not like there were any really good starting LBs on the team that year anyway.
  29. FFS even Jalin Marshall looked usable under Bowles until the fumbles just became too much.
  30. Charone Peake isn’t an NFL WR but under Bowles he developed into a reliable special teams player.

Bowles was not and is not a good head coach. While he may have been a good position coach and coordinator before coming here, at least by reputation, as a HC the players walked all over him and it’s clear the top job is too big for him.

There’s no need to make up hyperbole that everyone played terribly here specifically because of him, as though every player he ever encountered and coached was worse for it, and as though he was furnished good and well-rounded teams year after year after year.

Ultimately most of the players were bad in his years here because most of roster was filled with bad players and/or bad characters. 

The roster sucks. Yet again. That is on the substandard GM. Bowles was also a substandard HC independent of the reality that he was given sucky teams to coach these past 3 consecutive seasons.

So tired of this team and it’s ineptitude. I barely watched this season (moving out of state didn’t help) but I just can’t see anything changing next year. Just a clown organization that’s not going to do any better. It’s pathetic. I’m over it. I’m glad that my other teams are good because this whole thing is laughable and a fraud. Eff em all. 

17 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Plenty of coaches will be willing to coach here; many different stories have the Jets as the #1 or #2 best coaching position; NY market, Darnold, 100 million in cap and #3 pick - also didn't Oakland hire a coach last year, and is now replacing GM - glad he didn't come here, but Gruden was one of those coaches everyone said wouldn't go where he wasn't in control.

what

I can only hope that the Johnsons go big game hunting for a coach. It will limit Mac. He will basically be under that coach’s direction or he will lose any power struggle. If they hire a Mac guy we are stuck with him for a couple years as they will it want to pay 3 head coaches. (Bowles still getting paid after the extension).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I almost feel like I can’t root for this sh*t anymore. I’m mind****ed by this kind of completely ineptitude 

I’m so excited for Sam but feel the same way. It’s not like we can’t handle them sucking. It’s the blatant ineptitude and disregard by ownership. It’s a complete slap in the face and I feel weird taking this sh*t. I don’t take sh*t from anyone or tolerate nonsense like this.....except with the Jets. I hate myself for it. 

46 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Todd Bowles is not unhappy about this.  I’m sure if that.

Yep. He's still getting paid, and he's out of a truly damaging situation for his career. I think he was capable of being better than his results here. However, when straddled with the horrid collection of talent, his profane stubbornness and loyalty to incompetence, and a team full of guys that quit on him at the drop of a hat... it was never going to manifest here.

I don't think it's rational to put all of the blame on him as the catalyst for all those things. He didn't make it better, but he sure wasn't the only problem. In true Johnson & Johnson form though, their goal isn't to win games... it's to make sure there's no more tears for the doofus fanbase. So here we are.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Then again, say you had the big client who liked Darnold and the cap space, etc, I’d assume you would just call Chris Johnson and tell him directly that it’s Urban Meyer/Harbaugh/McCarthy *or* it’s Maccagnan, and that call likely takes place a week ago. So, we’re doomed regardless 

Coaches want good teams not just a bunch of cap room.

It’s the potential GM candidates that would be salivating over the cap room; not the HC candidates salivating over which future 2020 and 2021 season cuts FAs Mike Maccagnan will sign in 2019.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hey that’s what happens.  Has the owner ever really succeeded at anything by himself? Has he ever personally built anything?  So actually none of this should be all that surprising.

Classic case of someone being born on 3rd base and thinking he hit a triple. 

Reminds me of someone he works for. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Classic case of someone being born on 3rd base and thinking he hit a triple. 

Reminds me of someone he works for. 

Cmon now were worrying about how the owners got their money. Hell we'd love El Chapo if he brought the Jets a SB . 

1 hour ago, kthisguy said:

I can only hope that the Johnsons go big game hunting for a coach. It will limit Mac. He will basically be under that coach’s direction or he will lose any power struggle. If they hire a Mac guy we are stuck with him for a couple years as they will it want to pay 3 head coaches. (Bowles still getting paid after the extension).

Will Macc's presence help or hurt the Jets with the big game hunting?

If the plan is to limit Macc, they should have just fired him.

Because Macc is here, and is actually getting MORE power (I.E. the ability to help choose the next HC), that tells me the Johnsons have no intention of reducing or limiting Macc's ability to make personnel decisions.

Thus, there is only bad news that comes with retaining Macc as GM.  There really isn't a single positive thing that comes from this decision. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because Macc is here, and is actually getting MORE power (I.E. the ability to help choose the next HC), that tells me the Johnsons have no intention of reducing or limiting Macc's ability to make personnel decisions.

Thus, there is only bad news that comes with retaining Macc as GM.  There really isn't a single positive thing that comes from this decision. 

Here is the strategy from a PR standpoint. Conversation with the head coach that the Jets want.

Hello my name is Mike and I am the guy that drafted Sam Darnold. My Wikipedia page is down right now for maintenance. After you accept our offer I think you should check it out so you can see the rest of my impressive resume.

I look forward to working with you.

Don’t know where I read the post but I think it was on here- the jets lack the organizational hierarchy in place to field a successful football franchise. Why would we trust mike mcassman to hire a coach (never mind have someone work under him) when he constantly could pick turds in a jewelry store. Hire a president of football operations first, then have him decide what to do with mccagnan plus coach. This franchise is a ******* joke. And I feel so bad for darnold who is going to just be another failed soj story when all is said and done because woody and Chris didn’t want to relenquish control over their toys. It’s criminal what we as fans have to suffer through. Meanwhile the Cleveland ******* browns manage to put in place a structure that has them buying and embracing statistical measurements that’s going to and already paying off dividends for them. Meanwhile the jets once we sniff a whiff of success off the back of darnold and overpaid fa pickups will once again hire the vaynerchuk brothers cause they’re convinced the jets is a marketing company again first and foremost. Then it’s back to crashing back down to reality once we start losing a couple of games and the malcontents start getting more vocal about not getting the ball. Until finally Sam unable to take it anymore refuses to sign and gets traded to the chargers where he can play the rest of his days at the very least under sunny California weather while the draftniks here prognosticate on who we take at qb with the 5th pick in the 2022 nfl draft. This sh*t is cliche at this point.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You answered your own question.  Macc staying here kills our chances of landing a big time coach and if his role is reduced he should have been fired 

9 hours ago, HessStation said:

I almost feel like I can’t root for this sh*t anymore. I’m mind****ed by this kind of completely ineptitude 

I am a Jet and Knicks fan and I don’t think either team will even make the playoffs again until their owner either dies or miraculously sells the team

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

A sensible coaching candidate is liable to ask Maccagnan about Hackenberg, Adams over the QBs, Trumaine Johnson, the OL and pass rush disasters...

We’re not getting a big name coach since Wackagnan is entrenched here for another 3 years minimum

Jets only hope is we hire Defilippo and he pans out as a good coach while Mac doesn’t botch the draft AND attracts several good free agents by offering crazy money

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I agree.  Harbaugh isn’t leaving Ann Arbor and he’s definitely not leaving to work for the worst ownership in the entire nfl

Everything I read about harbaugh is that he is not necessariy innovative.  That he is very set in his ways, and does not make adjustments easily.  As a QB he was just better than average, with a weak arm and a lot of that "grit" stuff.  Still better than most, of course.  What people pay him tells me he has value.  I don;t see it in the way Michigan plays.

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I agree.  Harbaugh isn’t leaving Ann Arbor and he’s definitely not leaving to work for the worst ownership in the entire nfl

Mike Shannahan is just about the same level of fantasy but that’s who I wish we would make the push for since my first choice, Mike McCarthy, will be heading to Cleveland.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Meanwhile the real problem Macc stays 

Bowles was a gigantic problem. He was terrible.  I wanted Macc gone too---make no mistake.  So I am disappointed.  But you cannot have Bowles on a sideline running things.  I honestly believe he is a losing coach--even with decent talent. He does not know how to run the playground.  Reward and punishment are puszzles to him. The indiscipline, the lack of accountability...Think BB does not pull guys for consistent mental mistakes?  Think he does not cut guys for discipline problems?  Think NE is an accountable team?  Think BIll's players love him?  The criterion here on the Jets is all screwed up.  I do not understand why Macc is still here----unless CJ gave Bowles the upper hand in this two headed relationship and considers the failure more attributable to TB.  The fact is the real villains are the Johnsons.  All we ever needed here was one sound football man at the top, and the GM and coach below him.  Not elaborate consultations and coach searches by ex GMs and executive employment agencies.   He should be hiring Macc's boss befoore a coach is brought in

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Bowles was a gigantic problem. He was terrible.  I wanted Macc gone too---make no mistake.  So I am disappointed.  But you cannot have Bowles on a sideline running things.  I honestly believe he is a losing coach--even with decent talent. He does not know how to run the playground.  Reward and punishment are puszzles to him. The indiscipline, the lack of accountability...Think BB does not pull guys for consistent mental mistakes?  Think he does not cut guys for discipline problems?  Think NE is an accountable team?  Think BIll's players love him?  The criterion here on the Jets is all screwed up.  I do not understand why Macc is still here----unless CJ gave Bowles the upper hand in this two headed relationship and considers the failure more attributable to TB.  The fact is the real villains are the Johnsons.  All we ever needed here was one sound football man at the top, and the GM and coach below him.  Not elaborate consultations and coach searches by ex GMs and executive employment agencies.   He should be hiring Macc's boss befoore a coach is brought in

I wanted Bowles fired two years ago.  I knew he was absolutely no good at all by week 3 2016 that said Macc is the real problem maybe he figures it out 

I really hope they extend Mac at this point - not because I like him but keeping him for one year is worse.

Any coach worth having isn't going to come to a situation where there is likely to be a new GM a year later.  Knowing the new GM will want to bring in his own coach.

This F-in organization honestly has no clue.  It's really hard to believe a billion dollar organization can consistently be run in such a dysfunctional way.

This is basic logic stuff.  If they're that bad with basic concepts what makes anyone think they can deal with nuance?

Which, of course, is required to build a consistently strong franchise.

Archived