no good head coach will come here

kmnj

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Typical “woe is me” fan. The Jets, thanks to Sam Darnold, $100M in cap space and the third pick in the draft could be the most attractive job.  

A lot of it depends on how things are framed to HC candidates who have options.  If they don't think they'll have a lot of say in what that # 3 pick will be or what will happen with that $100+ million in cap space, then the only selling point is Darnold.  A strong selling point, no doubt, but how would we be any better a situation than Arizona or Cleveland, who also have talented young QB's AND much better rosters?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of it depends on how things are framed to HC candidates who have options.  If they don't think they'll have a lot of say in what that # 3 pick will be or what will happen with that $100+ million in cap space, then the only selling point is Darnold.  A strong selling point, no doubt, but how would we be any better a situation than Arizona or Cleveland, who also have talented young QB's AND much better rosters?

Do we even know this? Darnold, by all measures, had an OK rookie season. 

13 hours ago, kmnj said:

nobody will want to come work for a guy that built one of the worst rosters in football and a lame duck gm

typical jets only getting it half right which means getting it all wrong

I am done with the Jets-paid psls going up for sale and if they dont sell I am walking way from them

you will either get a 2nd tier guy or a newbie

13 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Exactly, BB didn't want to coach a jet team that had just been to the AFC championship game. HC candidates try to go where they feel they are set up for long term success. Johnsons + Mac > Darnold

Lil Bill didn't take the HC of the NYJ because Big Bill was still in the building.  He knew the Tuna would take control of the team during the season 

I disagree with OP.

Mac is exactly the kind of GM a lot of coaches want to work with, passive.

Its been reported that the new coach will have a lot more say and control over personnel, this giving Mac an unofficial demotion.

An alpha HC is going to want a gm who caves to him, not one that is going to constantly bark orders at and clash.

Darnold + Cap Space + Control/Passive GM + Top 3 pick  + Patient Ownership + Division that will be wide open in a year or two = Plenty of reason for any coach to run here.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Lil Bill didn't take the HC of the NYJ because Big Bill was still in the building.  He knew the Tuna would take control of the team during the season 

Not only that but BB was hired first as the HC then the Tuna was brought in and he was demoted to DC.. I think that has always pissed him off and was behind his leaving..

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I disagree with OP.

Its been reported that the new coach will have a lot more say and control over personnel, this giving Mac an unofficial demotion.

An alpha HC is going to want a gm who caves to him, not one that is going to constantly bark orders at and clash.

Darnold + Cap Space + Control/Passive GM + Top 3 pick  + Patient Ownership + Division that will be wide open in a year or two = Plenty of reason for any coach to run here.

This is what happened in Oakland. And then the GM was pushed out. People are freaking out that Mac gets to stay; there is no guarantee here that Mac is here if either a) he doesn't have a good offseason, b) the new HC is on fire and wants someone else. Also, Mac could eventually move UP to VP of whatever and Heirmerdinger could eventually be evaluated to GM. Anything is possible.

Go JETS

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Now we're listening to Ray f'in I didn't kill that man Lewis. 

Don’t like him either. Was a big Bob Crable, Lance Mehl fan. My 2 favorite Jets LB’s. But Lewis did win a SB with Dilfer who was the worst QB to win one. That Raven D was sick.

I'll admit I actually wanted Allen so yes I would have been ok with him, I wasn't crazy about Rosen though. My fear with Sam and with Rosen was playing in the NOrtheastweather being Cali QB's . Its why I liked Allen he was built for this environment.  Would I swap now probably not but Allen has played pretty well for the Bills this season. 

...as a RB perhaps. Have you looked at his passing stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Quick little fact I just ran across:

Out of every team that fired their HC, not a single one got rid of their GM.

I’m not sold at all on this idea that Macc is going to prevent a quality coach from coming here.

Cleveland got their new GM last season. Steve Keim has a proven track record in AZ. Not sure about TB, but whoever he is, he certainly drafts better than Mac.

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And who is picking him Korn Ferry , Charley Casserly , Bill Parcells .  You people bitch about the ownership then want them to make the most important hire . 

What are we supposed to do?  Yes in an ideal situation Mark Cuban buys the Jets and hires Jim Harbaugh as GM/Head Coach

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Weird. I thought it was because BB found the fax from the Pats asking to interview him while Parcells was still HC that Parcells tried to hide from BB.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He’s a rookie throwing to scrubs.  You guys act like Mayfield had a better year than Mahomes he’s throwing to Jarvis Landry and sucked anytime he played a real defense 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Chris Johnson has done nothing to warrant the idea he needs to be removed from anything.   He's impressing people and doesn't seem to meddle.  

And Woody isn't making any decisions.  It should be obvious by now.  

But Woody is coming back eventually and Mac has done nothing to warrant keeping him as GM.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I disagree with OP.

Do you have a link for this?

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Not only that but BB was hired first as the HC then the Tuna was brought in and he was demoted to DC.. I think that has always pissed him off and was behind his leaving..

No way, he was initially hired as the HC and Parcells as the "consultant" because he was still under contract of the Pats and couldnt walk into the HC job.  The original plan was Belichich would be the coach until Parcells was free to coach.  He knew Parcells was going to be the HC, he had no reason to be pissed over anything.  He knew exactly what was going on, he wasnt demoted.  Never mind at the time no one wanted anything to do with Belichich

the thing about the jets is they are in the ny market.  the saying , "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" still goes.   it's not like the jets aren't trying to create a winner.  they may have some structural issues that impede the effort but all that can be fixed pretty quickly.  and the jets have been historically generous with their players.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

But Woody is coming back eventually and Mac has done nothing to warrant keeping him as GM.

Woody handed the job to Chris and said it was permanent.   Hes going to continue working within the Republican Party.

8 HC vacancies, not one GM fired too.  Is he great?  No but who you bringing in whos a slam dunk?  That you trust to start a redo?  Who wont be learning on the job, like Macc has had to do?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's 21 and mostly finished strong.  Even if he's "just OK" that already makes him a top 20 QB in this league. 

The only people that would even think of complaining about Darnold being just ok had a unreal expectation for a 21 year old rookie QB with a roster devoid of offensive help.

And though all of that he looks to me like hes going to be fine, I'd still pick him 1st

• The Jets appear to be selling a HC job that is divorced from the GM job.  How much power that HC has will depend who it is.
  • Mac is not out of the woods.  He can get demoted in the HC process, and hopefully he is not extended.  Hopefully he is on probation this year.  My guess is that he has to explain all of his decisions to Chris.  As we saw last year, it appeared that Chris kaboshed the Suh signing, which was smart.  

14 hours ago, kmnj said:

nobody will want to come work for a guy that built one of the worst rosters in football and a lame duck gm

typical jets only getting it half right which means getting it all wrong

I am done with the Jets-paid psls going up for sale and if they dont sell I am walking way from them

Pure nonsense.

Darnold. Only one team has him. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Woody handed the job to Chris and said it was permanent.   Hes going to continue working within the Republican Party.

8 HC vacancies, not one GM fired too.  Is he great?  No but who you bringing in whos a slam dunk?  That you trust to start a redo?  Who wont be learning on the job, like Macc has had to do?

Where did you read that? If so, it is a good thing.

As to the question of whether Mac is "great", you answer "no". But, where do you rank Mac in the current pantheon of GMs? He is by most any metric the worst GM in the NFL.  Why keep the worst GM? It is in fact a slam dunk that you will find someone better.

42 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Yep.  Which is a great triva question.  What HOF coach was the HC of the NYJ twice, but never coached a game for the Jets as HC?

41 minutes ago, BigO said:

Don’t like him either. Was a big Bob Crable, Lance Mehl fan. My 2 favorite Jets LB’s. But Lewis did win a SB with Dilfer who was the worst QB to win one. That Raven D was sick.

It was a great D no doubt , but they would never be as effective today in the pussified NFL.

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yeah have you looked at the Bills wr's , you think the Jets have a bunch of nobodies. Everyone knew Allen wasn't the most accurate passer , but if he learns to put more touch on the ball he came become a great one. Because you can't teach his arm strength and you can't deny he has a pretty good pocket prescence.  Now that he's on the Bills , I hope it never clicks but I'm not counting on that.

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No way, he was initially hired as the HC and Parcells as the "consultant" because he was still under contract of the Pats and couldnt walk into the HC job.  The original plan was Belichich would be the coach until Parcells was free to coach.  He knew Parcells was going to be the HC, he had no reason to be pissed over anything.  He knew exactly what was going on, he wasnt demoted.  Never mind at the time no one wanted anything to do with Belichich

I understand that but at the time it wasn't sure that Parcells would be free to take the Job. Kraft didn't have to agree to let him out when he did.. So there was no reason to give BB the HC job in the first place then..

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

As to the question of whether Mac is "great", you answer "no". But, where do you rank Mac in the current pantheon of GMs? He is by most any metric the worst GM in the NFL.  Why keep the worst GM? It is in fact a slam dunk that you will find someone better.

Without looking can you name more than 5 current GM's ?

29 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It was in the original announcement that Chris was taking over

10 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I understand that but at the time it wasn't sure that Parcells would be free to take the Job. Kraft didn't have to agree to let him out when he did.. So there was no reason to give BB the HC job in the first place then..

I get that Kraft didnt have to let him out of the deal.  He could have been stuck waiting for his one last season under contract.  That was what they thought would happen.  The plan was Belichick for a year and Parcells then coming in.  The commissioner saw through it and thought it would be better to barter an agreement to free Parcells up to coach. In actuality, given Parcells was only going to stay 3 years, it moved up when Belichich would assume full coaching job

Archived