Our Next HC Should Have A Track Record

The_Jet_Nation

Well completely disagree. None of those things make a retread any more likely to be successful in the NFL than a first timer. There are 3 coaches in the playoffs in their second stint as HC and 9 new HC, including 5 with less than 3 years as HC. Statistics do not agree with you premise or prove it wrong. The only thing to gather is to pick the right guy and that guy can be a former HC or not a former HC. The former HCs available are particularly uninspiring so far more likely to be successful with the right first time guy,

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I want Shanahan because we need more than a HC we need an organization builder.  

Mike Shanahan coached 19 full seasons in the NFL.  He won a total of 8 playoff games which include 2 SB titles.  7 of the playoff wins came in the 2 SB winning years so in his 17 other seasons as a HC he won a grand total of 1 playoff game. 

If you tell me we win 2 SBs I'll take 1 other playoff win in 17 seasons but he won those 2 w/ Elway and TD.  w/o Elway and TD he won 1 playoff game in 15 full seasons.  he's basically almost as bad as BB w/o Brady when he didn't have Elway and TD together.

He would be a terrible hire.

I threw out Caldwell's name but people seemed less than thrilled with that idea though lol.

His teams lost a lot of big games and they folded down the stretch in Detroit but when you go after recycled Head Coaches the hope is that they learn from past mistakes.

Caldwell has taken a team to a Super Bowl, and he's won 2 Super Bowls as an assistant/coordinator. He helped change that Baltimore offense the year they won when he took over as the OC. He knows offense and he's worked with franchise QB's. He's won everywhere he's gone. If you give him talent, and Darnold is the real deal, I don't see why we couldn't win here. I'll take some tough playoff losses in games we should have won for a change...

The other thing is, we aren't getting a big name Head Coach like McCarthy, either Harbaugh (if they were available), Mike Shanahan, etc. Those are guys who have the clout to be able to bring in their own GM. Macc is staying on. They aren't coming here to work with him.

So if you don't want a recycled HC like a Caldwell, or whoever else is out there, then we have to go the coordinator route again to fill the vacancy. And personally, i'm tired of going that route. It doesn't have to be Caldwell, he's just a name that's been talked about. But I'd like a HC with a past track record as well. 

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Vic Fangio has a track record of kicking ass and taking names on defense.  He should be the HC.

I would have no problem with this but he MUST bring in a forward thinking OC/QC (like Shane Waldron)...  THIS Team IS ALL About SAM... having a Great "D" will just make it that much better.

32 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I threw out Caldwell's name but people seemed less than thrilled with that idea though lol.

His teams lost a lot of big games and they folded down the stretch in Detroit but when you go after recycled Head Coaches the hope is that they learn from past mistakes.

Caldwell has taken a team to a Super Bowl, and he's won 2 Super Bowls as an assistant/coordinator. He helped change that Baltimore offense the year they won when he took over as the OC. He knows offense and he's worked with franchise QB's. He's won everywhere he's gone. If you give him talent, and Darnold is the real deal, I don't see why we couldn't win here. I'll take some tough playoff losses in games we should have won for a change...

The other thing is, we aren't getting a big name Head Coach like McCarthy, either Harbaugh (if they were available), Mike Shanahan, etc. Those are guys who have the clout to be able to bring in their own GM. Macc is staying on. They aren't coming here to work with him.

So if you don't want a recycled HC like a Caldwell, or whoever else is out there, then we have to go the coordinator route again to fill the vacancy. And personally, i'm tired of going that route. It doesn't have to be Caldwell, he's just a name that's been talked about. But I'd like a HC with a past track record as well. 

Caldwell has had 2 chances now.  It's hard to get a 3rd chance.

He had the great 1st yr in Indy w/ a ready made team.  They got a lot wore year 2 then Peyton got hurt year 3 and he was gone.

I don't think it is settled that Macc is staying, if they want a HC that doesn't want Macc I think he could still go despite the announcement.

2 hours ago, The Troll said:

Andy Reid ain’t available.

McCarthy is garbage. He’s always been garbage, masked by the rose that is Aaron Rodgers.

do we forget what he did for Favre late in favre's career? and that he had to develop Rodgers?  he was there a long time and sometimes you need a change after that many years but overall he did a really good job in GB.

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

do we forget what he did for Favre late in favre's career? and that he had to develop Rodgers?  he was there a long time and sometimes you need a change after that many years but overall he did a really good job in GB.

Did he, though? He had arguably the most talented QB in NFL history. They went to one Super Bowl in a decade, One. And that was eight years ago.

The game evolves constantly. Guys like Andy Reid and Belichick are constantly evolving along with it. McCarthy's problem is that he didn't. He's still coaching like it's 2010. And he's a pussy. I'm sick of watching scared little girls coach the Jets.

Just now, The Troll said:

Did he, though? He had arguably the most talented QB in NFL history. They went to one Super Bowl in a decade, One. And that was eight years ago.

The game evolves constantly. Guys like Andy Reid and Belichick are constantly evolving along with it. McCarthy's problem is that he didn't. He's still coaching like it's 2010. And he's a pussy. I'm sick of watching scared little girls coach the Jets.

Relax he ain’t coming here.  We’re getting either Defilippo or some unknown assistant from the texans

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

McCarthy’s version of WCO fits Sam like a glove but he’s going to Arizona or Cleveland 

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

shouldn't his QB have been able to lead them to more?  id that the HCs fault? probably the fault of both but I'd take what McCarthy did in GB for the Jets for the next decade.

I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying we could do worse than him and I wouldn't be upset if we hired him.

shouldn't his QB have been able to lead them to more?  id that the HCs fault? probably the fault of both but I'd take what McCarthy did in GB for the Jets for the next decade.
I'm not saying I want him, I'm saying we could do worse than him and I wouldn't be upset if we hired him.

This is the most important head coaching hire the Jets have made in 20 years. I am not willing to settle for someone like McCarthy. Whether McCarthy was ever a good coach is up for debate. I don’t personally think so, but I do know he’s been very bad for years.

I’m sure Bears and Rams fans would have signed up for ten years of Carolina/Denver and Tennessee, but that’s not what they got from Fox and Fisher, is it? It doesn’t matter what happened in 2006 or 2010. That is absolutely ancient history.

8 hours ago, The_Jet_Nation said:

Have prior experience as a HC.

Have playoff experience as a HC.

Not looking for another coordinator who has no experience as a HC.

A perfect example is when the Chiefs hired Andy Reid.

Can anybody spell Mike McCarthy. OR. Bruce Arians?

Agree.. how do you feel about a gm who had no track record before his first gm gig, and now has one of worst records in nfl yr in yr out ??‍♂️

I think this idea Jet fans have that coaches won't want to come here because Macc was kept is ill conceived. Macc is NOT an authoritarian type GM like Dorsey. 

Macc was kept because the Johnsons are cheap. Macc is a combo scout, accountant, contract guy, trade maker that will work well with any coach they bring in. 

The new coach will have a HUGE say in the direction he wants to take the team, and you & know after drafting Darnold, that direction is OFFENCE, and Bowles was a dead man walking as soon as the Darnold pick was announced. The near future NY Jets are going to try to win games by scoring more points than you in 2019. The defense? Make a few stops! 

Thats why I haven't really feared them keeping Macc. We're going offensive, 99%. 

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well completely disagree. None of those things make a retread any more likely to be successful in the NFL than a first timer. There are 3 coaches in the playoffs in their second stint as HC and 9 new HC, including 5 with less than 3 years as HC. Statistics do not agree with you premise or prove it wrong. The only thing to gather is to pick the right guy and that guy can be a former HC or not a former HC. The former HCs available are particularly uninspiring so far more likely to be successful with the right first time guy,

Sorry, no more first timers learning on the job for four years before we "discover" they don't have it.

Not everything is about statistics and metrics.

Offensive, experienced, with a track record of previous success.  That success can be at the college level or the pro level.

But no "never been a head coach" candidates, and no Defensive-minded candidates if you please.

Sorry, no more first timers learning on the job for four years before we "discover" they don't have it.
Not everything is about statistics and metrics.
Offensive, experienced, with a track record of previous success.  That success can be at the college level or the pro level.
But no "never been a head coach" candidates, and no Defensive-minded candidates if you please.

We’ve just hired bad coaches.

It sure didn’t take four years for the head coaches in Philadelphia, LA, Chicago, or Indianapolis to “learn on the job”.

1 minute ago, The Troll said:

We’ve just hired bad coaches.

It sure didn’t take four years for the head coaches in Philadelphia, LA, Chicago, or Indianapolis to “learn on the job”.

It's all opinion, so believe as you like, I personally do not want and will not be happy with (at least to start) another green rookie Coach.  Especially if like most of our green rookie Coaches, they're not really one of the highest rated candidates.

Our last "retread" was Parcells.  I'm ok with trying that (retread idea) again. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mike Shanahan coached 19 full seasons in the NFL.  He won a total of 8 playoff games which include 2 SB titles.  7 of the playoff wins came in the 2 SB winning years so in his 17 other seasons as a HC he won a grand total of 1 playoff game. 

If you tell me we win 2 SBs I'll take 1 other playoff win in 17 seasons but he won those 2 w/ Elway and TD.  w/o Elway and TD he won 1 playoff game in 15 full seasons.  he's basically almost as bad as BB w/o Brady when he didn't have Elway and TD together.

He would be a terrible hire.

When you really think about it, Belichick, Shanahan, Coughlin and every other coach whose won multiple Super Bowls are actually bad. 

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but there aren't any experienced NFL HC out there that we want. McCarthy would be a disaster here. Shanny is 66 years old and out of coaching for 3 years. Jim Caldwell wasn't a good coach when he was actually IN the league 2 years ago, and Arians isn't coming here after we whacked his best friend and protege. Everyone else is an assistant with little/no HC experience or coming from the college level. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but to say the new HC HAS to have experience...you're probably going to be disappointed.

The good news is that I think there are a few worthy assistants and college guys out there worth exploring...and they're probably going to care a bit less about working with Macc. Hopefully we can hire a draft analyst too ?

It's all opinion, so believe as you like, I personally do not want and will not be happy with (at least to start) another green rookie Coach.  Especially if like most of our green rookie Coaches, they're not really one of the highest rated candidates.
Our last "retread" was Parcells.  I'm ok with trying that (retread idea) again. 

That’s all fine and good but hiring a retread just because is not a good strategy when the only retreads available are mediocre coaches.

If Arians can be lured out of retirement, great, but hiring a McCarthy or Caldwell just because “experience” is short sided and pretty much the worst thing the Jets can do short of hiring another damn DC.

1 minute ago, The Troll said:

That’s all fine and good but hiring a retread just because is not a good strategy when the only retreads available are mediocre coaches.

If Arians can be lured out of retirement, great, but hiring a McCarthy or Caldwell just because “experience” is short sided and pretty much the worst thing the Jets can do short of hiring another damn DC.

I wouldn't hire a retread "just because".

As I've said in a number of other threads, what I want is:

-Experienced as a Head Coach

-Offensive focussed/experienced.

-Track record of previous success at the NFL level.

-Track record of working with young QB's.

If a HC candidate has these things, I would strongly consider them.  

I do not prefer a "hot new thing" college coach or NFL assistant with no experience as the head man.  And I definitely do not want another Defensive-minded Head Coach.

But I am not wedded to anyone.  I like the idea of McCarthy, he ticks my boxes.  But I'm open to other options.

9 hours ago, The_Jet_Nation said:

Have prior experience as a HC.

Have playoff experience as a HC.

Not looking for another coordinator who has no experience as a HC.

A perfect example is when the Chiefs hired Andy Reid.

Can anybody spell Mike McCarthy. OR. Bruce Arians?

And no matter how hard you try, scream, or pray Arians is retired.  He's quite twice now.  He's got health issues.  He's not young.

McCarthy is a thin skinned HC who fought with the press in GB.  Would be a nightmare in NY with Manish, Cimini etc.  plus he's going to join his buddy in Cleveland.  

Got to love the requirements though, like there ar lots of HC candidates that fit that bill.  What are we left with who meets them, Whisenhunt?  But nobody likes him.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And no matter how hard you try, scream, or pray Arians is retired.  He's quite twice now.  He's got health issues.  He's not young.

McCarthy is a thin skinned HC who fought with the press in GB.  Would be a nightmare in NY with Manish, Cimini etc.  plus he's going to join his buddy in Cleveland.  

Got to love the requirements though, like there ar lots of HC candidates that fit that bill.  What are we left with who meets them, 

I compare it to going to Autotrader and searching for a Car that ticks off ALL the search boxes. When you do that, the answer is always going to be "none". We're going to have to bend our search parameter somewhere. Bill Parcells isn't walking through that door.  

51 minutes ago, The Troll said:

This is the most important head coaching hire the Jets have made in 20 years. I am not willing to settle for someone like McCarthy. Whether McCarthy was ever a good coach is up for debate. I don’t personally think so, but I do know he’s been very bad for years.

I’m sure Bears and Rams fans would have signed up for ten years of Carolina/Denver and Tennessee, but that’s not what they got from Fox and Fisher, is it? It doesn’t matter what happened in 2006 or 2010. That is absolutely ancient history.

Using this logic the Chiefs take a pass on Andy Reid a few years ago he was 6-10 his last season with the eagles and was considered washed up

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Any reason why Ken Wisenhunt's name hasn't  been mentioned? Currently an offensive coordinator for a successful Chargers team. Two stints as a HC in the NFL. Also has ties to the Jets as a former player at TE. 

The problem is he’s on a coaching staff that will probably be working busily next 3-5 weeks.  Jets need to get a HC and staff together now

Just now, Philc1 said:

The problem is he’s on a coaching staff that will probably be working busily next 3-5 weeks.  Jets need to get a HC and staff together now

Problem with that is the Chiefs and Saints could be busy for a while. Half the assistants you'd want to talk to are from those teams.

4 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I compare it to going to Autotrader and searching for a Car that ticks off ALL the search boxes. When you do that, the answer is always going to be "none". We're going to have to bend our search parameter somewhere. Bill Parcells isn't walking through that door.  

Fans think that all you have to do is sign the guy who is loved and respected by players, a disciplinarian, smart, innovative, aggressive, detailed, has coached and been a winner, won playoff games and won more than one SB.  As if they're out there, unemployed looking for work.  

Best part, if you found one there still would be people in the fanbase who hate the hire and will bitch about it.  Look at Whisenhunt.  Playoffs, check.  Got to a SB, check.  Offensive coach, check.  Look what he's done with Rivers.  He's hated and the board would blow up if he were hired.  

Archived