Our Next HC Should Have A Track Record

The_Jet_Nation

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Any reason why Ken Wisenhunt's name hasn't  been mentioned? Currently an offensive coordinator for a successful Chargers team. Two stints as a HC in the NFL. Also has ties to the Jets as a former player at TE. 

I've mentioned him, wouldn't have a problem with him.  Chargers and took the Cardinals to a SB.  Of not for a crazy last second play he's a SB winner.  

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

The problem is he’s on a coaching staff that will probably be working busily next 3-5 weeks.  Jets need to get a HC and staff together now

If this is the only reason not to pusue Ken Wisenhunt then it seems silly. We can't rush this just because the Chargers may go far in the playoffs. He is offensive minded , had success in the NFL, currently managing a successful offense, seems to be working well with a successful veteran QB. Appears to be a no brainer to at least pusue this. 

7 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Problem with that is the Chiefs and Saints could be busy for a while. Half the assistants you'd want to talk to are from those teams.

If you wait til March to look for a defensive coordinator that’s how you end up with Mangini

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

If this is the only reason not to pusue Ken Wisenhunt then it seems silly. We can't rush this just because the Chargers may go far in the playoffs. He is offensive minded , had success in the NFL, currently managing a successful offense, seems to be working well with a successful veteran QB. Appears to be a no brainer to at least pusue this. 

It’s not silly it’s simple logistics.  A coaching staff is way bigger than just HC and two coordinators.  If you wait til March you end up with scrap heap trash like Kacy Rodgers

Using this logic the Chiefs take a pass on Andy Reid a few years ago he was 6-10 his last season with the eagles and was considered washed up

That’s revisionist history. No one thought Reid was washed up. His time in Philadelphia had just run its course. His undoing in Philadelphia was not that the game had seemingly passed him by and he was either too stubborn or not capable of adapting, as was the case with McCarthy in Green Bay.

12 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Problem with that is the Chiefs and Saints could be busy for a while. Half the assistants you'd want to talk to are from those teams.

And they can be interviewed.  And given the job.  They can't officially be hired until their teams are done.  But they can unofficially get the job.  

11 minutes ago, The Troll said:

That’s revisionist history. No one thought Reid was washed up. His time in Philadelphia had just run its course. His undoing in Philadelphia was not that the game had seemingly passed him by and he was either too stubborn or not capable of adapting, as was the case with McCarthy in Green Bay.

Ok stop.  Reid was considered finished in Philly by 2012.  They missed the playoffs two years in a row and looked bad while the city’s fans and media absolutely destroyed him they even made fun of his kid dying

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Caldwell has had 2 chances now.  It's hard to get a 3rd chance.

He had the great 1st yr in Indy w/ a ready made team.  They got a lot wore year 2 then Peyton got hurt year 3 and he was gone.

I don't think it is settled that Macc is staying, if they want a HC that doesn't want Macc I think he could still go despite the announcement.

You don't usually get 3 chances but Caldwell is a weird candidate in the sense that it's kind of hard to say he failed anywhere. He went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years in Indy and appeared in the SB and made the playoffs in 2 out 4 years for the Lions who have been a historically bad franchise. He left that Lions franchise after having back to back 9-7 seasons and the team got worse this year without him. He's been a good offensive coordinator and has 2 SB rings with two different organizations in key roles.

Again, he has his flaws. But I'd definitely bring him in for an interview. Just my opinion.

Ok stop.  Reid was considered finished in Philly by 2012.  They missed the playoffs two years in a row and looked bad while the city’s fans and media absolutely destroyed him they even made fun of his kid dying

Absolutely no one thought it was a sh*t hire by KC.

As I said, his time in Philly had reached the breaking point.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mike Shanahan coached 19 full seasons in the NFL.  He won a total of 8 playoff games which include 2 SB titles.  7 of the playoff wins came in the 2 SB winning years so in his 17 other seasons as a HC he won a grand total of 1 playoff game. 

If you tell me we win 2 SBs I'll take 1 other playoff win in 17 seasons but he won those 2 w/ Elway and TD.  w/o Elway and TD he won 1 playoff game in 15 full seasons.  he's basically almost as bad as BB w/o Brady when he didn't have Elway and TD together.

He would be a terrible hire.

I would BB or Shanahan over any HC the Jets have had over the last 30 year other than Parcells, so you tell me who all these other greta HC we are looking at...

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I would BB or Shanahan over any HC the Jets have had over the last 30 year other than Parcells, so you tell me who all these other greta HC we are looking at...

I want a HC that will win, a HC that doesn't need top 5 all time QBs in order to win.  I hope Sam develops into one but the likelihood is he will not.  

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I want a HC that will win, a HC that doesn't need top 5 all time QBs in order to win.  I hope Sam develops into one but the likelihood is he will not.  

Fair but I believe Shanahan would win here, and most importantly the Jets have had a dysfunctional organization before Woody purchased the team and it continues to the present day!

IMO Shanahan could help turn that around and give the Jets an underlying organizational ethos, a typical coach hire alone can't do that here.  Even BB was concerned about that and hence his fleeing Parcells and the Jets.

Aagin the Jets are dysfunctional and have been that way for to long and it needs to end NOW!

McCarthy is getting beat up badly on this thread. I just don’t understand what’s up with the Jets fans who hate the idea of hiring a HC with experience.

Career highlights and awards
Head coaching record
Regular season: 125–77–2 (.618)
Postseason: 10–8 (.556)

Put Gruden type numbers up and bring someone of this caliber in here.

We don’t have to offer McCarthy 100 million for 10 years, like the Raiders signed Gruden to a record setting HC contract.  I don’t know where fans get the nerve to criticize McCarthy. The worst Jet fans possible, who probably are too young to have enjoyed watching Namath. 

I take McCarthy in a heartbeat.

2F524443-3C14-46F2-ACAD-2BF4B512CC6F.jpeg

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well completely disagree. None of those things make a retread any more likely to be successful in the NFL than a first timer. There are 3 coaches in the playoffs in their second stint as HC and 9 new HC, including 5 with less than 3 years as HC. Statistics do not agree with you premise or prove it wrong. The only thing to gather is to pick the right guy and that guy can be a former HC or not a former HC. The former HCs available are particularly uninspiring so far more likely to be successful with the right first time guy,

maybe but the thing a vet head coach brings to a young team is instant creds.  this team doesn't have any leadership.  darnold needs to take control but he won't be able to do that without a hc placed firmly in his corner.

Archived