Is Woody the league’s worst owner?

Philc1

Is Woody the league’s worst owner?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is Woody the league’s worst owner?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

I mean, the Bengals are notoriously cheap - so much so that TJ Houshmanzadeh recently talked about how the Bengals used to provide the players with only used jockstraps and didn't give players waterbottles or gatorade.

But yeah, Woody's clearly the worst (says someone with no grasp of how bad some of the other owners in the league are)

You know a lot about the jockstrap situation in Cincinnati 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How can Woody NOT be the worst owner in the NFL?  He's not even being an owner right now.  He abdicated the throne and left the country.  He's Edward VIII. 

And no, that does not make Chris Johnson George VI. 

If Woody is King Dumbass Chrissy is Prince Fredo Corleone

Jets have had some really good years under Woody. Yet, we b*tch about the owner. Try being a Brown fan. Or a Bills fan post SB losses. Or even a freakin Cowboys fan that have won 1 playoff game in like 20 years after having a PB QB play most of those years. Woody isn’t nearly as bad as the worst owner but we definitely have the worst fan base. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Jets have had some really good years under Woody. Yet, we b*tch about the owner. Try being a Brown fan. Or a Bills fan post SB losses. Or even a freakin Cowboys fan that have won 1 playoff game in like 20 years after having a PB QB play most of those years. Woody isn’t nearly as bad as the worst owner but we definitely have the worst fan base. 

How have the last 8 years gone?  I think we have every reason to complain.  Complaining at least means we care.  That's more than this franchise deserves. 

Who cares about other franchises?  This isn't Cleveland or Buffalo.  This is New York.  Win or GTFO. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How have the last 8 years gone?  I think we have every reason to complain.  Complaining at least means we care.  That's more than this franchise deserves. 

Who cares about other franchises?  This isn't Cleveland or Buffalo.  This is New York.  Win or GTFO. 

Yeah but the Golden age of 2001-2004 when Woody inherited an already existing roster and we won 2 playoff games in 4 years

What my point was,  is simply this:  Neither the Wilpons or Dolan have EVER been loved by the fan bases.  That is a fact.  What you  were wrong about is the contention that when the franchises were winning, both owners were loved by the fans.  Never happened. Never will. They are despised. Not a big deal.  Nobody is accusing Dolan of being miserly.  He's just an a$$hole, pure and simple.  The Wilpons are the miserly ones.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wrong?  You said I'd we won the owner would be liked.  I said the Wilpons weren't when the Mets went to the last two WS.  How goes that makes me wrong exactly?

Dolan it's miserly?  Never spends enough.  OMG you're so wrong

20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What my point was,  is simply this:  Neither the Wilpons or Dolan have EVER been loved by the fan bases.  That is a fact.  What you  were wrong about is the contention that when the franchises were winning, both owners were loved by the fans.  Never happened. Never will. They are despised. Not a big deal.  Nobody is accusing Dolan of being miserly.  He's just an a$$hole, pure and simple.  The Wilpons are the miserly ones.

You need to learn how to respond as.  I said that you were wrong winning doesn't guarantee that there's be loved.  Have no idea why you're arguing.  This is twice I've said this but you're not getting it

The Glazer brothers are pretty bad. 

I must tell you John Mara is starting to give Woody some competition in this category. Gettelman is a clown. And by not taking a QB in this years draft with an aging Eli was a huge blunder. Set that franchise back years.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Because when we were willing they loved Woody.  When the Mets made the WS they loved the Wilpons.  Dolan, he was lived when the Knicks were winning it the Rangers.  

Fans whine about owners all the time.  Think their owner is the worst.  

Is this your post? Does it not say when the Mets were winning the WS they loved the Wilpons?    Does it not say that Dolan was "lived", I'm sure you meant "loved ",when the Knicks were winning?  I think it does.  And if it does, then you are wrong.  Not arguing.  Just read what you said

9 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Is this your post? Does it not say when the Mets were winning the WS they loved the Wilpons?    Does it not say that Dolan was "lived", I'm sure you meant "loved ",when the Knicks were winning?  I think it does.  And if it does, then you are wrong.  Not arguing.  Just read what you said

Guess sarcasm shot right over your head.  The question mark at the end didn't tell you I was questioning your post that is they won Woody would be loved. That winning did nothing for Dolan, either team or for the Wilpons. 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Guess sarcasm shot right over your head.  The question mark at the end didn't tell you I was questioning your post that is they won Woody would be loved. That winning did nothing for Dolan, either team or for the Wilpons. 

No. Guess I was just dazzled by all of the typos, misused words, fragmented sentences, and bad punctuation. I didn't insult you. Read your original post, the one I responded to. Maybe, you will finally get it.  If not,  o.k.  P.S.  Didn't notice the question mark you cited.  Maybe you're just confused.  {this is sarcasm, if that will help you out}

The Johnsons are very bad, but I think it is hard to say any owner is the worst.  The best way to measure that would be record under their tenure.  That would be interesting to see.  The Johnsons have done some good things and have done some bad things.   As Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.   Record over a long period of time captures all of the GM and HC hires, which are ultimately on the owner.  

On the organizational structure point, I would be interested to see all of the examples.   I think when people say that there are many teams with the Jets structure, they mean teams where the GM and the HC report to a central person-they are equals.  So the effectiveness of that structure really depends on who that central person is.  If that person is a Johnson that does not know jack about football (as evidenced by the consultants used for the last two hires), I would argue that this structure is not appropriate for the Jets.  

40 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

No. Guess I was just dazzled by all of the typos, misused words, fragmented sentences, and bad punctuation. I didn't insult you. Read your original post, the one I responded to. Maybe, you will finally get it.  If not,  o.k.  P.S.  Didn't notice the question mark you cited.  Maybe you're just confused.  {this is sarcasm, if that will help you out}

You screw up, didnt read the post through and get snippy?

Typical, just saying you missed it and moving on is beyond you.  

4 hours ago, SheaRay said:

The Glazer brothers are pretty bad. 

I must tell you John Mara is starting to give Woody some competition in this category. Gettelman is a clown. And by not taking a QB in this years draft with an aging Eli was a huge blunder. Set that franchise back years.

The Maras are way better owners but I’m so nauseated by the hero worship they get in the media because of Wellington

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When u (OP n others) say we have the worst GM, of course you have to see how other franchises are doing. It’s all relavant. No one complained in 2008-2010. Oh yeah cuz we were winning n the owner was spending every penny he could  can’t blame the owner if three of his GMs can’t find a QB.  

When u (OP n others) say we have the worst GM, of course you have to see how other franchises are doing. It’s all relavant. No one complained in 2008-2010. Oh yeah cuz we were winning n the owner was spending every penny he could  can’t blame the owner if three of his GMs can’t find a QB.  

We have statistical evidence that the current GM is the worst in the league, and that’s been posted in a lot of threads.

When 3 straight GMs suck, the common denominator is the owner that hired the GMs. Of course we can blame the owner for bringing in incompetent people to make the important football decisions.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:14 AM, nyjunc said:

We're back to blaming Woody again? when things looked great heading into this season everyone was patting Chris on the back thankful that Woody was gone, now that we suck again it's Woody's fault?

Woody was a  good owner.  yes he made mistakes but he took over at the dawn of the Brady era and despite that we were damn good from 2001-2010.  He made more mistakes this decade and we have sucked but he always tried to win.  it's just hard to win when Tom Brady is in your division.

The Jets under Woody have the only non Brady div title by the way and the Jets won as many playoff games under Woody as we have in all the years w/o him.

Good post.  

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You screw up, didnt read the post through and get snippy?

Typical, just saying you missed it and moving on is beyond you.  

The first four words of my first comment on your statement were "I like most of your posts"  If that's snippy to you get a thicker skin. I screwed up by using Your words to illustrate my point?.  Right.  You got defensive.  Your comments don't really bother me.  If I had agreed with you, would that have made you happy? The insults and aspersions were on our side of the discourse.  Only in the last post did I  respond negatively.  These boards are for back and forth exchanges of observations and ideas, as I  am sure you know.  Usage of the words " snippy", "typical " and phrases like "screw up", and "beyond you" aren't reflective of a person who's intent on "moving on".  I'm sure a master of the English language, such as yourself realizes this.  Grow up. I am moving on.

Woody and his brother never had to work for anything. If it wan't for their great grandfather's immense fortune they would be nothing. They have no idea what it takes to build anything. They are nothing more than poor little rich boys that don't have a clue. Dumb and Dumber as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Woody and his brother never had to work for anything. If it wan't for their great grandfather's immense fortune they would be nothing. They have no idea what it takes to build anything. They are nothing more than poor little rich boys that don't have a clue. Dumb and Dumber as far as I'm concerned.

Nice to get some inside information on the comings and goings of the Johnson's from someone who is so eminently qualified.  Thanks for the enlightening post.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

We have statistical evidence that the current GM is the worst in the league, and that’s been posted in a lot of threads.

When 3 straight GMs suck, the common denominator is the owner that hired the GMs. Of course we can blame the owner for bringing in incompetent people to make the important football decisions.

Mike Tannenbaum was among the last 3 GMs, Mike Tannenbaum drafted out first lock Hall of Famer since John Riggins and that player will be only the 2nd HOFer drafted by the Jets that played the majority of his career here to get inducted. On top of that Mangold is a borderline candidtate and may have a chance to make it.  For the team itself he built 2 teams that were a game away from the SB, he had just 2 losing seasons in 7 yrs as a GM but unfortunately one of them was his last and the fans wanted blood so we got rid of him.

when we got rid of him we brought in Idzik, this is why we are where we are. idzik destroyed this franchise.

You can post silly out of context stats about league percentages but the current GM drafted a guy who is about to be named an all pro and got us a franchise QB giving us QB hope like we have never seen before.  This Gm was stuck w/ an inept HC who couldn't develop talent but there is a lot more talent on this roster than it appears. It's like the Kotite years when people didn't understand how much talent we actually had but those around the league understand which is why the job is so highly coveted- along w/ having a young QB to build around.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:25 PM, Squirt said:

1821CBB4-ABF1-4B48-A012-238CC6A646B6.jpeg

Archived