JetsYanks13

Jets assistants retained for now: Per Ian Rappaport

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2019 Jets head coach Jeremy Bates 

**** that. Keeping anyone but Boyer is just another example of why this team just doesn't get it. Unbelievable.

• Butt Fumble 2

I'd think that retaining the GM and many coaches/staff members really shrinks the list of guys who will come here to interview for HC.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

You hold on to the assistants in case the new Coach wants to keep any of them. Once you release them you have to pay out their remaining contract. Let the new Coach decide their fate and then move on either way.

Exactly.   You just don’t want to hold these guys up for too long though.  Give them a chance to seek other opportunities.  This makes me think that the Jets will be hiring their new HC relatively soon.  

• Upvote 1

If it was someone like Shanahan he might want to retain Dennison and Bates.  I would think that anyone they hire would give strong consideration to retaining Boyer.

let the HC decide who stays and goes. no point in just firing them in case he likes a couple of them and wants to keep them on

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A new coach will be given the chance to keep one or more of these coaches. I highly doubt they'd be forced to, so I don't think it impacts anything.

It would be far worse if we let our coaches leave, coach x quickly signs elsewhere and then we signed a new head coach that wanted to keep coach x and now he can't. 

Retaining these guys is only a good thing. Especially Boyer who has done a great job with our special teams.

I agree with everything you said. Smart move to retain good coaches.  My point simply was that keeping so much (GM, staff, coaches) and trying to make the situation appetizing to a HC candidate is difficult.  There are simply some guys who will not want to come in here with both the perception (and reality) that they are one piece fitting into an established puzzle.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree with everything you said. Smart move to retain good coaches.  My point simply was that keeping so much (GM, staff, coaches) and trying to make the situation appetizing to a HC candidate is difficult.  There are simply some guys who will not want to come in here with both the perception (and reality) that they are one piece fitting into an established puzzle.

If the new coach is told he would have to keep coach x or y, then I agree. 

They've retained Rodgers and no one would think Mac wants him back. I think it's just a standard move. 

This is common enough stuff.  Gives the new HC a chance to evaluate the staff and retain anyone he may be interested in.  There's really nothing to see here.

While Boyer is obviously the first one that most minds go to, there's a real possibility that there are certain position coaches who would be of interest, as regardless of recent Jets' failures, there are a few that are pretty well regarded (Kevin Greene comes to mind).  While neither Bates nor Rodgers have any chance of retaining their jobs, it's not even out of question that they could be offered new roles in their old expertise, it has happened before (e.g., Sutton being moved from DC back to LBs when Rex came).

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Rappaport also said they can also possibly interview for new HC. They are all under contract. I think that keeps Boyer on our staff.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Would be a bold and interesting development if they were serious about Boyer as a HC option. I doubt it somehow but every time I see the list of potential head coaches I can’t help but think our next HC isn’t on it and the eventual appointment will come out of left field. At the very least he deserves a shot to interview and would be a shame to lose him

time will tell 

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

This is common enough stuff.  Gives the new HC a chance to evaluate the staff and retain anyone he may be interested in.  There's really nothing to see here.

While Boyer is obviously the first one that most minds go to, there's a real possibility that there are certain position coaches who would be of interest, as regardless of recent Jets' failures, there are a few that are pretty well regarded (Kevin Greene comes to mind).  While neither Bates nor Rodgers have any chance of retaining their jobs, it's not even out of question that they could be offered new roles in their old expertise, it has happened before (e.g., Sutton being moved from DC back to LBs when Rex came).

Good post, Greene has done a decent job with guys like JJ, Copeland, Lucy and even Darron Lee. 

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd think that retaining the GM and many coaches/staff members really shrinks the list of guys who will come here to interview for HC.

Sure it does.

The new HC brings in his guys.  If he doesn't have a guy for the OL he can interview Dennison.  Or a Boyer.  Or he can dump them all.  Why would that ever deter a HC candidate from taking the job? 

• Upvote 1

Part of Rex's initial success was b/c he had KEPT these Jets Coaching Staff Holdovers:

OC - Kurt Shcoteheimer

OL - Brian Callahan/Run-game Coordinator

ST - Mike Westhoff (since Herm Edwards - 2 regimes ago)

LB - Bob Sutton (was DC under Mangini)

Keeping staff HELPS IN CONTINUITY for the incumbent position players and for transitioning to NEW Head Coaches. It's a GOOD MOVE. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I’m not retaining anyone . Culture gotta change . 

The Tone and Culture is set by the CEO: The Head Coach. the HNIC. 

NOT the staff. They do as told. 

37 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A new coach will be given the chance to keep one or more of these coaches. I highly doubt they'd be forced to, so I don't think it impacts anything.

It would be far worse if we let our coaches leave, coach x quickly signs elsewhere and then we signed a new head coach that wanted to keep coach x and now he can't. 

Retaining these guys is only a good thing. Especially Boyer who has done a great job with our special teams.

Bingo.  It's also an extraordinarily common thing done in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets simply have to make it clear to whoever they interview that the retention of anyone on the coaching staff is entirely at their discretion.

The front office part is mind-numbingly stupid, but unfortunately there's clearly nothing being done about that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Rappaport also said they can also possibly interview for new HC. They are all under contract. I think that keeps Boyer on our staff.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is good news, they will all be let go. But maybe Kevin Greene sticks around and definitely Boyer.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

They have some decent staff:

OL - Rick Dennison

ST - Boyer

RBs - Stump Mitchell 

TEs - Jimmie Johnson

WRs - Karl Dorrell

OLBs - Kevin Greene

Jets should bring in AS MUCH coaching talent as possible, this would be my "Dream" list to build a staff:

McCarthy as HC

Gase as OC

Steve Wilks as DC - and convert 4-3 to salvage Lee & Williams

***EDIT**** I'd rather Gregg Williams now that he's been fired by Cleveland and STILL switch to a 4-3.

Any Coach will want too and should be able to bring in whomever he wants. Especially if they hire your "dream guy" in McCarthy. A name coach will want to bring in guys he feels comfortable with and it will be a major obstacle to hiring a name HC if he must retain anyone from the previous staff. I'm curious as too why you would want to bring back anyone with the exception of Boyer and maybe Johnson as you could argue that not only did those other units perform badly but even regressed in some cases? If you claim they didn't have anything to work with I'm not buying it. A good coach gets the most out of what he has and if that's what happened on this team than that is a serious indictment of Macc and the roster he has put together because lets face it they sucked. I'm all for cleaning house and letting the new HC pick and choose who he wants and if HE chooses some holdovers from the previous staff fine but to have these guys forced on him? No go IMO. Especially if you want a name guy like McCarthy.

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

This move ONLY allows a new HC the ability to evaluate the present staff for retention.

+1 THANK YOU, god will you guys friggin relax...No way in hell a new HC is coming in and keeping this crummy staff.