Dcat

AP source: Jaguars void Fournette's contract guarantees

2652f310-10a8-11e7-90a7-4b720b6e23dd_ap_logo.jpg
MARK LONG (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressDec 30, 2018, 10:04 PM

1545323329786-7035.jpg

FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2018, file photo, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette, left, runs for yardage as he is stopped by Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree, right, during the first half of an NFL football game in Jacksonville, Fla. A person familiar with the situation says the Jacksonville Jaguars have notified running back Leonard Fournette that his suspension late last month voided the remaining guarantees in his four-year rookie contract. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Sunday night, Dec. 30, 2018 .(AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack, File)
More

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The thought of Jacksonville parting ways with running back Leonard Fournette would have been unimaginable a few months ago.

It's much more plausible now.

The Jaguars have notified Fournette that his suspension late last month voided the remaining guarantees in his four-year rookie contract, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Sunday night. The person said the Jaguars notified Fournette of the action weeks ago. Fournette could challenge the decision.

Regardless, Fournette's standing with the team reached a new level of unrest Sunday and raised speculation about his future with the franchise.

Fournette and fellow running back T.J. Yeldon spent most of a 20-3 loss at Houston in the season finale on the bench, disengaged from teammates.

Top executive Tom Coughlin ripped both players for being ''disrespectful'' and ''selfish.''

''Their behavior was unbecoming of a professional football player,'' Coughlin said in a statement.

Fournette has proven to be far from an ideal pro in Jacksonville, and it's clear the team is growing tired of his unchanging ways.

A team captain and the centerpiece of the team's offense, Fournette is due to make $7.1 million in the final two years of what had been a fully guaranteed, four-year rookie deal worth $27.15 million. If Fournette fails to successfully appeal the void, the Jaguars could cut him without incurring any future financial obligations. It also might make trading for him more attractive to other teams considering the reduced financial risk.

The fourth overall pick in the 2017 draft has missed 11 games in two seasons because of injuries and suspensions. Fournette ran for 439 yards and five touchdowns in eight games this season. He ran for 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns as a rookie.

But he also was suspended one game in 2017 for leaving early during the bye week and suspended a week without pay for leaving the bench, running across the field and instigating a fight with Buffalo defensive end Shaq Lawson on Nov. 25. Fournette lost nearly $100,000 in salary during the weeklong suspension. It could cost him considerably more if the Jaguars decided to cut him with no guaranteed money remaining.

Jacksonville also could give him a chance to change his ways. He's due to make $2.9 million in 2019.

Coughlin, coach Doug Marrone and general manager Dave Caldwell all will return next season , and Marrone said fixing the team's culture will be a priority.

''We have a ways to go, and that starts with me,'' Marrone said. ''When you sit here and ask about the culture and what it may be, maybe it's not, that falls on me. I did not do a good job there, period. That's one of the things I'm hard on myself, but I'm also honest with myself.

''At the end of the day, we can talk about this player or that player and the locker room and all of that. That's all on me. That's all on me.''

• Upvote 2

Lol I know a lot people gonnna knock him . But if he hits Free agency I would not be opposed to it .dude hasn’t Even hit his prime yet . 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Is there any way for the Jets to do this with Trumaine Johnson?

If there were EVER a time to be able to take a HARSH cap hit, 2019 would be a nominee. 

People speak of doing a "Browns: EatContract for Draft pick" trade, would fans be happy with a $12M Cap hit (no savings) and $24M in dead money? Cutting bait that large would just be another admitted failure by the Mac FO. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

lol  That was my first thought. 

I’d trade the 3rd pick for Fournette, the 7th pick, and their 2nd.

I mean, Jacksonville probably wouldn’t, but I would.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Wow that's a tough one.  Really intriguing,  depends on how big of a problem he is.  That and the " injuries".  For Jacksonville to take such a drastic action, relationship breaking actions ,not just censure,  makes me think there are a lot of issues with this guy.  Serious issues.  Great post.

17 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Trade for a malcontent who in his best year, on a team that was playing well ran for under 4 per and missed games.  No thanks

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol I know a lot people gonnna knock him . But if he hits Free agency I would not be opposed to it .dude hasn’t Even hit his prime yet . 

I was bashing him last night when there was talk about us trading for him but as a free agent? Sign me up

Interesting.  Isn't this the same clause the Jets were fighting Darnold over.

Voiding the guaranteed money in his contract due to a league fine or suspension.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

No fournette is on a rookie scale contract 

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The combo of Bell/Fournette would be deadly

I’d rather just trade a middle round pick for Fournette

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trade for a malcontent who in his best year, on a team that was playing well ran for under 4 per and missed games.  No thanks

Because he was running against 8 in the box consistently because no one is scared of Bortles throwing to trash

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Because he was running against 8 in the box consistently because no one is scared of Bortles throwing to trash

While Bortles threw for around 3700 yards?  No way.  He sucks but he isnt the reason why Fournette averaged under 4 per.  

There are definitely problems there the team was supposed to be good this season and things fell apart. Surprised that Marrone has survived. Certain guys they will be getting rid of. Fournette is supposed to be one of their building blocks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

is there any way to trade trumaine johnson for Fournette?  Because I would trade Trumaine Johnson for Fournette.

of course you would, anyone would trade away that albatross of a contract for anything. The problem is would you trade away both of your nuts too? No one is taking on that contract without some additional gravy.

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

Depends if a qb comes out of nowhere they love but I doubt it

i would trade a middle rd pick for Fournette that makes way more sense than $18 mil per year for Bell

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

While Bortles threw for around 3700 yards?  No way.  He sucks but he isnt the reason why Fournette averaged under 4 per.  

3700 yards is not good in today’s nfl.  Mark Sanchez threw for 3,400 yards once

28 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There are definitely problems there the team was supposed to be good this season and things fell apart. Surprised that Marrone has survived. Certain guys they will be getting rid of. Fournette is supposed to be one of their building blocks. 

Pretty sweet that it's all imploding around that arrogant,  sc##bag  Marrone.  Coughlin should have seen it coming.  Hope Marrone enjoyed running up the score against  us.  What comes around......Yet they're reportedly bringing him back again next year.  "Isiah Thomas Syndrome"?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

3700 yards is not good in today’s nfl.  Mark Sanchez threw for 3,400 yards once

Where is it written that you cant run with a QB who throws 3700 yards, that its not enough.

Sanchez threw for 2400 yards and Thomas Jones led the league, ha over 1400 yards and over 4 per.

I would take Fournette, if the Jags are seriously shopping Jalen Ramsey then who knows maybe they'd take Trumaine Johnson if we ate a portion of the contract.

I want Mark Ingram personally though.

2 hours ago, The Troll said:

Why would you do this since the Jags are trying to release him so you could get him for nothing?