Mike Mayock Hired as Raiders GM

Grandy

I knew he was interviewed but surprised he was hired.  Yeah this will be chucksy show for sure but I like seeing things like this to see how he will do.

People love to shi* all over guys like Mayock and what's his face with the hair (kiper) for being second guessing commentators but I am sure both would have done better than macacagnan the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I knew he was interviewed but surprised he was hired.  Yeah this will be chucksy show for sure but I like seeing things like this to see how he will do.

People love to shi* all over guys like Mayock and what's his face with the hair (kiper) for being second guessing commentators but I am sure both would have done better than macacagnan the last 4 years.

For PR/viewing reasons they're both in positions where they have to say what they like about virtually every prospect. Certainly in the first few rounds.

But they drop less direct hints at what they're really thinking - i.e. players they personally wouldn't touch themselves - by giving backhanded praise like, "While he has the arm [or speed or size or even athleticism] you like to see at the position, I think so far he's a bit of a project. But if he can ever put it together boy you've got a helluva player who could start for 10 years."

Then you wonder how much either is instructed to lay off the top prospects a bit to keep the excitement up. 

I'll say this -- it's clear from his comments at the times that he wouldn't have put his own job on the line by drafting (or recommending to draft) Geno or Hackenberg, lol. Not with anything more than a late round pick where it's not even news if/when they get cut, but if they pan out he'd look super smart and stuff. At the same time, if you believe he believed every word he was saying, he'd have had the Raiders run to the podium for Jamarcus Russell before anyone could make a good offer. So there's that, too.

Know what I like about this hire (other than his celebrity, and supposed expertise specifically in the draft if you could find out what he really thought of a lot of these players)? Look at all the picks the Raiders accumulated this year from Gruden's fire sales -- high picks at that (3 in round 1 this year alone). You want to use them right instead of listening to one guy in the corner who's got a feeling? Then in terms of consultants you go for the gold and don't pussyfoot around with Charley Casserly's scared, risk-averse, former pissboy.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

One would hope the bar should be set a little higher than that for GM hires, otherwise we're talking about an excessively large pool of candidates.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

For PR/viewing reasons they're both in positions where they have to say what they like about virtually every prospect. Certainly in the first few rounds.

But they drop less direct hints at what they're really thinking - i.e. players they personally wouldn't touch themselves - by giving backhanded praise like, "While he has the arm [or speed or size or even athleticism] you like to see at the position, I think so far he's a bit of a project. But if he can ever put it together boy you've got a helluva player who could start for 10 years."

Then you wonder how much either is instructed to lay off the top prospects a bit to keep the excitement up. 

I'll say this -- it's clear from his comments at the times that he wouldn't have put his own job on the line by drafting (or recommending to draft) Geno or Hackenberg, lol. Not with anything more than a late round pick where it's not even news if/when they get cut, but if they pan out he'd look super smart and stuff. At the same time, if you believe he believed every word he was saying, he'd have had the Raiders run to the podium for Jamarcus Russell before anyone could make a good offer. So there's that, too.

Know what I like about this hire (other than his celebrity, and supposed expertise specifically in the draft if you could find out what he really thought of a lot of these players)? Look at all the picks the Raiders accumulated this year from Gruden's fire sales -- high picks at that (3 in round 1 this year alone). You want to use them right instead of listening to one guy in the corner who's got a feeling? Then in terms of consultants you go for the gold and don't pussyfoot around with Charley Casserly's scared, risk-averse, former pissboy.

You think Maccagnan used to walk 1 step behind Casserly with a finger around one of his belt loops?

Archived