Jets (Requesting to Interview) HC Candidates

JetsYanks13

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah didn’t very much like that part either but Nick Wright is a dumbass so you can’t expect much...still a good watch. It reinforces what people here are suggesting with McCarthy as HC and Kingsbury as OC.

I get it, it was just I almost fell off my chair laughing when he said that lol.  Not sure Kingsbury might be a McCarthy type of guy and if there is even a relationship there. I myself would prefer someone like Rhule, or Monkin. I like what Kingsbury has done as an offensive mind, but I think we need someone much more ready to be an HC, and while McCarthy is certainly that, it scares me that he's stuck in the old school. This is certainly not an easy decision, but I'm actually glad that CJ & Mac aren't using anyone but themselves to identify the candidates they want to hire. I think they've requested interviews with some good candidates.  Now we just have to trust that they make the correct decision. 

Go hire Chad Pennington as our Head coach, bring in Kliff Kingsbury as OC (They were both on the Jets roster in 2005) and grab Richard as your DC.  Thats if you want young guys. You can always get Gregg Williams as DC to have an experienced

Or just go get McCarthy please.

7 hours ago, stevie90 said:

Former Packers coach Mike McCarthy is interviewing today with the #Jets, source confirms (as @MikeGarafolo said)

Said Darnold in town as well.

I’d take Charlie Brown to be our HC as he’d be a major improvement over the misery Bowles inflicted on this franchise. And I mean the Original, not our beloved mod.

EFD74051-8AB3-4A24-A7C7-ED4EDCA98BC2.gif

1 hour ago, BigO said:

I’d take Charlie Brownto be our HC as he’d be a major improvement over the misery Bowles inflicted on this franchise. And I mean the Original, not our beloved mod.

Charlie Brown can't make a field goal. So he would go for it a lot of 4th down.   :)

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Charlie Brown can't make a field goal. So he would go for it a lot of 4th down.   :)

At least he wouldn’t punt like Bowles on 4th and 1 from inside the 40 with a 1:30 left and down by 4. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have completed their interview with former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, per the team. Three known interviews in the books. The others: Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy and former Dolphins coach Adam Gase. Upcoming: Dallas DBs coach Kris Richard, Baylor coach Matt Rhule and Bucs OC Todd Monken.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:12 PM, 68JET11 said:

They lost me when they said if KK was HC he should bring in Bowles to run the D....

they make some decent points, but they hired a rookie head coach and gm with the same hierarchy in place that is now, which they say is not a good situation for a rookie hc. and what if kliff got someone like gregg williams to be d coordinator similar to mcvay getting pihillips . im not 100 percent on the kliff bus yet but i think he would do wonders with sam. oc is my perferred position for kk but ill take him over gase or caldwell.

8 hours ago, BigO said:

I’d take Charlie Brown to be our HC as he’d be a major improvement over the misery Bowles inflicted on this franchise. And I mean the Original, not our beloved mod.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

But then JN would be down a Moderator ??

On 1/3/2019 at 9:56 PM, Jet Nut said:

Actual translation, as a WC team, the Cowboys assistants cant be interviewed this week. 

He'll get interviewed right after their game

I read the same thing and am not questioning it. But the funny thing is that Dallas is closer to Jacksonville, Fl than it is to say San Diego, CA. Not sure why the nfl thinks the Cowboys are a WC team. It’s practically equidistant to both coast. I guess they flipped a coin.

40 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I read the same thing and am not questioning it. But the funny thing is that Dallas is closer to Jacksonville, Fl than it is to say San Diego, CA. Not sure why the nfl thinks the Cowboys are a WC team. It’s practically equidistant to both coast. I guess they flipped a coin.

Lol, sorry WC as in Wild Card team.  Because they're a WC team they had a game to prepare for this weekend unlike Pats assts for example.  So they can't interview 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, sorry WC as in Wild Card team.  Because they're a WC team they had a game to prepare for this weekend unlike Pats assts for example.  So they can't interview 

Lmao. Of course that makes more sense. I kept translating WC to west coast. Haha.

Wasn't sure if this was thread worthy its just Cimini lol

I'm not spending 15 minutes editing this on my phone so here are the highlights 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/78737/sizing-up-jets-coaching-candidates-from-mccarthy-to-kingsbury

Rich Cimini

ESPN Staff Writer

1. Magnificent seven: Some quick-hit thoughts and a ranking of the New York Jets' head coach candidates:

• Mike McCarthy: One league source told me Jets CEO Christopher Johnson is "enamored" with McCarthy, who certainly is the most accomplished coach on the team's list. His offensive background appeals to the Jets, who want someone who can nurture quarterback Sam Darnold. It'll cost a bundle -- he averaged $8.5 million annually on his Green Bay Packers contract -- but Johnson wouldn't be sitting at the table unless he agreed to ante up. I hear McCarthy doesn't want to uproot his school-age kids in Green Bay, so it might be incumbent upon the Jets to shorten the distance, so to speak. Did someone say private jet? He also has an interview with the Cleveland Browns.

Another league source questioned whether McCarthy, after a 13-year run in Green Bay, still has the passion, saying, "Coaches hit walls, too. He should be the first guy hired, based on his resume, but there's a reason why they were floundering the last two years. When you have a franchise quarterback, you can't be that bad. That's on him."

• Eric Bieniemy: The Jets interviewed the Chiefs' offensive coordinator Wednesday in Kansas City, but they wouldn't be able to hire him until his playoff run is over. He comes highly recommended by coach Andy Reid, who has produced Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson. As one source said, "When you come out of there, you're pretty good."

The knock on Bieniemy is his lack of experience. He's a first-time offensive coordinator who doesn't call the plays, but that's not always an accurate predictor of head-coaching success. Exhibit A: Los Angeles Chargers coach Anthony Lynn, who made his bones as a running backs coach. Bieniemy also has interviewed with the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Adam Gase: The former Dolphins coach interviewed on Friday. Gase did a decent job in Miami (23-25), considering the roster and the quarterback situation, so his ouster surprised some folks around the league. Like McCarthy, he has a background with quarterbacks. One of his former quarterbacks, Peyton Manning, swears by him. That appeals to the Jets.

In Miami, Gase had control of the 53-man roster. He wouldn't have that power with the Jets because it belongs to general manager Mike Maccagnan. Is that a deal-breaker? Could it lead to disputes? The Jets need to do their homework on Gase's personality. There was friction at times with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, according to the Miami Herald, which reported Gase once yelled at Ross when the owner offered input on a football-related matter. Gase also is drawing interest from the Arizona Cardinals.

Kris Richard: The Jets are expected to interview the Dallas Cowboys' defensive backs coach on Sunday. He was kind of busy all week, as the Cowboys played a wild-card game on Saturday. Richard, a former player, is a charismatic leader who would excite the Jets' players and fan base. After getting fired by the Seattle Seahawks -- he coached at the end of the "Legion of Boom" era -- Richard became the Cowboys' playcaller and did a terrific job.

There's a lot to like about him, including a winning pedigree, but his defensive background is a big hurdle. The Jets have gone with defensive-minded coaches for 20 years and they'd like to break the trend, especially with Darnold. To get the job, Richard would have to crush his interview and convince the Jets' brass that he'd be able to hire a strong offensive coordinator. He's also interviewing with the Dolphins and Bucs.

Todd Monken: The Bucs' offensive coordinator put up big numbers in his first season as the playcaller, squeezing a few monster games out of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a well-regarded offensive mind with head-coaching experience on the college level (Southern Miss), which begs the question: If he's such a whiz, why don't the Bucs hire him as Dirk Koetter's replacement? The Jets will interview him Monday or Tuesday. The Cincinnati Bengals are interested, too.

• Matt Rhule: The Baylor coach has emerged as a wild card. He’s on their radar and it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Jets meet with Rhule while in Texas for the Richard interview. They will try to keep it quiet because it’s a sensitive time for college coaches (see: recruiting), but there’s interest. The native New Yorker, who interviewed with the Colts last offseason, is a bright offensive coach who spent one season in the NFL (2012, New York Giants).

• Jim Caldwell: Well, he took the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl and he actually posted a winning record with the Detroit Lions (36-28). He's good with quarterbacks, good with offense and an all-around good guy, but he's not right for this job. Caldwell, 63, lacks presence and can't manage the clock. Remember that infamous timeout in the final seconds of the Jets-Colts playoff game after the 2010 season? Manning was so befuddled that he shook his head in disbelief. Caldwell already has interviewed with the Browns and Cards.

which begs the question: If he's such a whiz, why don't the Bucs hire him as Dirk Koetter's replacement? 

This was the question with Rex and the ravens. Why did the ravens pass on Rex and give the job to Harbaugh? 

It came out later that the ravens felt that Rex was too loyal to his players 

Is monken the offense version of Rex? 

Lemme see if I can find it 

So interesting enough both Rex and Bowles were first time HC after being DC coordinators.  

Rex had the energy and arrogance

Bowles was more laid back to a certain degree

Both lost the locker room 

Both had starter their first season with a winning one

Maybe it's time to get an experienced head coach 

McCarthy is my first choice and he is offensive minded

Caldwell is second winning record yet more defensive minded

My flyer would be Monken based on his tenure in the league

Just a thought.

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

which begs the question: If he's such a whiz, why don't the Bucs hire him as Dirk Koetter's replacement? 

This was the question with Rex and the ravens. Why did the ravens pass on Rex and give the job to Harbaugh? 

It came out later that the ravens felt that Rex was too loyal to his players 

Is monken the offense version of Rex? 

Lemme see if I can find it 

It's a good question to ask. Why are the Bucs passing him over if he's such a good candidate?

4 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It's a good question to ask. Why are the Bucs passing him over if he's such a good candidate?

Hard to sell another internal promotion to the fan base. Their last HC was a hire from within. They want a "splashy" name to excite the fans and sell tickets.

22 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I tried to find something, there isn't anything out there. 

He got promoted end of last year to OC, and was supposed to call the plays in the preseason only, koetter would then take over, but the offense did so well that they went with the hot hand. 

Like bienemy I think it's a full year to soon for this guy 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

No tweets about Richard or rhule? 

The Richard interview is tomorrow, I think. No-one knows when/If we are speaking to Rhule today or tomorrow. He was still in Mexico on vacation a couple of days ago.

Haven't seen this tweet from the Jets yet.....interesting...very interesting.

Could it be possible that they gave the job to McCarthy and are just waiting for the games this weekend to finish before they make the announcement?  Or maybe the Jets are just interviewing him after the Bucs?

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The Richard interview is tomorrow, I think. No-one knows when/If we are speaking to Rhule today or tomorrow. He was still in Mexico on vacation a couple of days ago.

Everything I read said the interview was supposed to be today.

Archived