Jets (Requesting to Interview) HC Candidates

JetsYanks13

12 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

You're welcome. I find him to be pretty passionate and confident and he is a USC alumni  who played and coached under Pete Carroll. That is nice for Sam. :)

If he is a good leader and motivator and picks the right assistants, why not? Picking top assistants and the ability to lead are the most important things.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

God....the Johnsons and Macc are so inept, McCarthy won't even take this great offer from the Cardinals.

We're doomed......?

uhhh........not wanting to deal with Rosen even with full control is actually making him look like an even smarter coach than I originally thought. If he thought Rosen was any good...like real good....like had the goods...he would take this and run with it. 

I believe he it on record as saying he doesnt want total control so coming here and working with Sam might be a more enticing proposal. 

A lot of focus on the potential guys personality. Bill Bellichick has a terrible personality. I rather focus on the coach's philosophy and actual capabilities to gameplan and strategize. This whole focus on leadership skills, ability to motivate etc is so overrated. These are professional football players getting payed millions that is not the most important thing. Who is going to outscheme the other guy that is whats more important.

The Jets seem to disagree. Eric and Kris seem like they have great personality and leadership skills and could motivate. Both on the other hand have very to little experience as coordinators. Is a career running backs, or DB coach who have had one years experience as coordinator that didn't even call plays going to out scheme Bill Bellichick? No but they would win a personality contest so I guess that's what matters.

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Well Schefter reported yesterday that the NFL is upset that so many minority coaches are being fired, especially Wilks after one year

and these teams are going to have to do interviews with the league and explain why they are letting these coaches go

Clearly we are NOT one of the teams who have to explain why we fired todd....lol

12 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Here is the other potential interviewee - Eric Bieniemy the OC for the Chiefs. 

He does seem pleasant and positive and I love where he says you need a sense of urgency in everything that you do. 

There are longer videos on the Chiefs site ( with game prep info (https://www.chiefs.com/video/eric-bieniemy-he-s-an-energy-giver)

Got a feeling this is the guy they are going to target.  Sucks they'll probably have to wait until after the Super Bowl to find out if he'd rather go somewhere else.  

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

All I did was question Chris Johnson's motives nothing I said was racist. According to this reasoning anyone mentioning the Rooney rule as a motivation for an interview should be considered racist.

FYI. The social Justice stuff was not my interpretation that's what they called it

No, your post did have a racial undertone....lots of people mention the rooney rule. It's a part of the sport, your comment intended or not definitely came across as such. 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

and they robbed him of another TD run with a tickytack bs holding call so they could keep cleve and baker in the game.

Right?  He could seemingly get a first or a TD at will last night. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Jets "plan" to interview ex-Lions coach Jim Caldwell for their head-coaching vacancy.

64 years old (next month), Caldwell spent 2018 out of the game but has been a somewhat-hot commodity, having already drawn interest from the Packers and Browns. Perhaps teams realize Caldwell did a better job than given credit for with Detroit after watching Matt Patricia set the team back. Really though, the Jets need to aim elsewhere for Sam Darnold's next head coach.
Related: Jets

Dec 31 - 7:11 PM

Potential QB coach?

Cardinals fired OC Byron Leftwich.

What's left remaining of the Cardinals' higher-ups are firing everyone and everything in a desperate attempt to save their own skin. Leftwich didn't do an embarrassing job of interim coordinating Arizona's offense after Mike McCoy was fired, but he was forced to do everything on the fly with an offensive line that couldn't block a soul. At worst, Leftwich should resurface as a QBs coach.
Related: Cardinals

Dec 31 - 5:07 PM

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m pretty sure they are going to interview as many coaches as possible, no stone left unturned thing. So I’m not sure there is a indication who the hire will be for the next week or so.

Disagree. They know they're in competition with 8 other teams. They are definitely not going to piece meal interview requests. If they were going to interview Zach Taylor, Shane Wladron, Pete Charmichal, etc they would have put in a request today and not been in the back of the line with other teams. I fully expect the next HC of the NYJ to be either Eric, Kris, Tom, Mcarthy, Gase, or Caldwel.

17 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Disagree. They know they're in competition with 8 other teams. They are definitely not going to piece meal interview requests. If they were going to interview Zach Taylor, Shane Wladron, Pete Charmichal, etc they would have put in a request today and not been in the back of the line with other teams. I fully expect the next HC of the NYJ to be either Eric, Kris, Tom, Mcarthy, Gase, or Caldwel.

Yup. Chris Johnson alluded to this in his interview. He is aware that there's a lot of competition for coaches this offseason and feels the Jets are a good destination. But based on his interview, I think they are being aggressive with the coaches they have on their list. 

The one person I would add to your list in Jim Harbaugh. It won't come out that he is interviewing since it'll hurt his recruiting if he doesn't get the job. We were tied to him before we fired Bowles and it has being surprisingly quiet on that front. I take the silence as a sign there's mutual interest. 

3 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

But a pipeline of African American coaching talent needs to be maintained in a league comprised of mostly black players.

A pipeline of qualified coaches who treat players with dignity, and respect while giving the team the best chance to win is what the league needs. The amount of melanin in their skin, or lack thereof is not what should determine who gets selected to coach a team. 

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Got a feeling this is the guy they are going to target.  Sucks they'll probably have to wait until after the Super Bowl to find out if he'd rather go somewhere else.  

Aren't there specific periods within the playoffs that coordinators can interview and make decisions? I feel like I remember that with Dan Quinn.

46 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yup. Chris Johnson alluded to this in his interview. He is aware that there's a lot of competition for coaches this offseason and feels the Jets are a good destination. But based on his interview, I think they are being aggressive with the coaches they have on their list. 

The one person I would add to your list in Jim Harbaugh. It won't come out that he is interviewing since it'll hurt his recruiting if he doesn't get the job. We were tied to him before we fired Bowles and it has being surprisingly quiet on that front. I take the silence as a sign there's mutual interest. 

With most college coaches they will want to keep stuff on DL, right?

**UPDATED on Dec. 31 at 4:47pm CST:  According to Calvin Watkins of The Athletic, the Cowboys have given the Jets permission to interview Kris Richard. EVP Stephen Jones told 105.3FM the Fan on Monday the team "certainly wants to keep him", and will work toward that end. 

Adam Schefter of ESPN also reports the Miami Dolphins have requested an interview as well.**

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

uhhh........not wanting to deal with Rosen even with full control is actually making him look like an even smarter coach than I originally thought. If he thought Rosen was any good...like real good....like had the goods...he would take this and run with it. 

I believe he it on record as saying he doesnt want total control so coming here and working with Sam might be a more enticing proposal. 

This makes sense to me. The Cards really look disorganized and panicky. Conversely CJ, while potentially delusional, seems confident and focused. Say what you want about him, but that's how it's coming across to me. 

Do you think it's a bit weird that we haven't even been reported to have reached out to McCarthy yet?  I thought he was first on our big board. Even if he was going to turn us down I would have thought we'd have heard at least a peep by now. No? 

25 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This makes sense to me. The Cards really look disorganized and panicky. Conversely CJ, while potentially delusional, seems confident and focused. Say what you want about him, but that's how it's coming across to me. 

Do you think it's a bit weird that we haven't even been reported to have reached out to McCarthy yet?  I thought he was first on our big board. Even if he was going to turn us down I would have thought we'd have heard at least a peep by now. No? 

CJ said he wasn't giving his football control to any one.  Off the table.  He'll make the disputed football decisions.  

10 hours ago, Lizard King said:

That’s a rather cynical take. I suspect he’s more concerned that his family business has been distributing cyanide in their baby powder for half a century. 

Or that people think J&J is still the family business.  That might be more of a concern

Still in the early stages of interviewing, but Monken is a perfect fit for Sam. Innovative offensive coach, can adjust offenses/isn’t stuck to one system, straight shooter, head coaching experience (in college) but that still carries weight about how to run a team and an organization. 

I beliece Kris Rishard is going to be an excellent coach. I’d be all for hirining him...if Sam was in his prime and peaked. But we need someone to make sure Sam develops first and foremost.

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Still in the early stages of interviewing, but Monken is a perfect fit for Sam. Innovative offensive coach, can adjust offenses/isn’t stuck to one system, straight shooter, head coaching experience (in college) but that still carries weight about how to run a team and an organization. 

I beliece Kris Rishard is going to be an excellent coach. I’d be all for hirining him...if Sam was in his prime and peaked. But we need someone to make sure Sam develops first and foremost.

Monken is very aggressive in his passing calls. Loves to stretch the field vertically and I love that about him. His system gets a tooon of passing yards out of the offense but his play calling also calls for a lot of turnovers if the QB isn’t careful and always decisive enough. 

Albeit, he has had Jamies Winston and Ryan Fitzpatrick to work with — Sam is also “turnover prone” to some extent. I think it will be cleaned up when he makes the year 2 jump but just putting that out there.

system is very suspectible to turnovers, big yards and even big scores.

I could live with it, I like Monken, I really do. But idk about HC? It’s a tough one but out of the three we have requested interviews with Monken is definitely my favorite despite weary feelings on it.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Monken is very aggressive in his passing calls. Loves to stretch the field vertically and I love that about him. His system gets a tooon of passing yards out of the offense but his play calling also calls for a lot of turnovers if the QB isn’t careful and always decisive enough. 

Albeit, he has had Jamies Winston and Ryan Fitzpatrick to work with — Sam is also “turnover prone” to some extent. I think it will be cleaned up when he makes the year 2 jump but just putting that out there.

system is very suspectible to turnovers, big yards and even big scores.

I could live with it, I like Monken, I really do. But idk about HC? It’s a tough one but out of the three we have requested interviews with Monken is definitely my favorite despite weary feelings on it.

Agree on all points. As you said he had Fitz and Jameis to work with, 2 monster turnover machines. 

Monken should be our guy if we aren’t going the pro retread route. But even then...I’d be cautious about McCarthy (he deserves an interview but still caution). After that, Caldwell? No. Gase? Meh. 

I’d trust Monken over LaFleur, Waldron, Taylor, etc. 

This may sound backwards, obviously whoever we hire I want to win a Super Bowl, but as long as this coach develops Sam Darnold to his full potential, and leaves us better off than we are, without a Super Bowl...I’d consider it a success. The next coach/regime would have to close the deal for a championship.

Archived