Jets (Requesting to Interview) HC Candidates

JetsYanks13

54 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Still in the early stages of interviewing, but Monken is a perfect fit for Sam. Innovative offensive coach, can adjust offenses/isn’t stuck to one system, straight shooter, head coaching experience (in college) but that still carries weight about how to run a team and an organization. 

I beliece Kris Rishard is going to be an excellent coach. I’d be all for hirining him...if Sam was in his prime and peaked. But we need someone to make sure Sam develops first and foremost.

After hearing that the Jets were looking into Kris Richard, I looked up some articles on him and watched some of his interviews. He's a really interesting guy. Everyone who has worked with him raves about him. 

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agree on all points. As you said he had Fitz and Jameis to work with, 2 monster turnover machines. 

Monken should be our guy if we aren’t going the pro retread route. But even then...I’d be cautious about McCarthy (he deserves an interview but still caution). After that, Caldwell? No. Gase? Meh. 

I’d trust Monken over LaFleur, Waldron, Taylor, etc. 

This may sound backwards, obviously whoever we hire I want to win a Super Bowl, but as long as this coach develops Sam Darnold to his full potential, and leaves us better off than we are, without a Super Bowl...I’d consider it a success. The next coach/regime would have to close the deal for a championship.

Good post. I think Monken makes the most sense if we don’t go pro retread. I think he has the most potential as an offensive coach and having previous HC experience(college level) it doesn’t hurt.

Still looking for them to interview Dave Toub at the very least but Monken as much sense as anyone else

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Still in the early stages of interviewing, but Monken is a perfect fit for Sam. Innovative offensive coach, can adjust offenses/isn’t stuck to one system, straight shooter, head coaching experience (in college) but that still carries weight about how to run a team and an organization. 

I beliece Kris Rishard is going to be an excellent coach. I’d be all for hirining him...if Sam was in his prime and peaked. But we need someone to make sure Sam develops first and foremost.

Agree, I think Monken is a real dark horse contender. Would not be against Richard either. So long as he can build the right staff but that of course is a big if.

CJ said he wasn't giving his football control to any one.  Off the table.  He'll make the disputed football decisions.  

Total control is how he said it I think. I’m hearing he wants a brain trust and democracy. Not a dictatorship.
I’d love a parcels type of guy but is that even realistic?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

57 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Total control is how he said it I think. I’m hearing he wants a brain trust and democracy. Not a dictatorship.
I’d love a parcels type of guy but is that even realistic?

He wants to be the guy who makes the final decision.  They both bring ideas, or disputes to him, and he makes the decision.  Problem with that is he knows nothing about football at any level.  This is a very bad idea and a formula for disaster.  It's going to cause conflict between the GM, and the HC. Like we just saw with both the last two regimes.  Somebody that knows football needs to be in charge, not an entitled brat.

A democracy doesn't work in business.    

18 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Pendulum swings from Rex to Todd and now back towards a more animated coach.  It'll be nice to have a coach with some semblance of a pulse again. 

People love to complain about Bowles lack of emotion - if the Jets went 10-6 and were in the playoffs, would anyone care? I get that some people feel if he doesn't explode on the sideline, he isn't passionate. That's not the case. Maybe these guys need someone to fire them up, ok, but couldn't the coordinators do that.

Don't get me wrong, Bowles needed to go. Probably should have gone last year, but not because he was stoic, but because he never adjusted, played safe/scared, made poor in-game decisions, etc.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

People love to complain about Bowles lack of emotion - if the Jets went 10-6 and were in the playoffs, would anyone care? I get that some people feel if he doesn't explode on the sideline, he isn't passionate. That's not the case. Maybe these guys need someone to fire them up, ok, but couldn't the coordinators do that.

Don't get me wrong, Bowles needed to go. Probably should have gone last year, but not because he was stoic, but because he never adjusted, played safe/scared, made poor in-game decisions, etc.

Your point is well taken, but when you see him on the sidelines appearing too be so disengaged persecution personifies reality.

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

This makes sense to me. The Cards really look disorganized and panicky. Conversely CJ, while potentially delusional, seems confident and focused. Say what you want about him, but that's how it's coming across to me. 

Do you think it's a bit weird that we haven't even been reported to have reached out to McCarthy yet?  I thought he was first on our big board. Even if he was going to turn us down I would have thought we'd have heard at least a peep by now. No? 

Called it lol

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

And players walked all over his stoic ass.

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

He should have been hired when they fired Rex Ryan!!!

Westhoff is too old now, but I always thought he would have made a great HC.  I don't know why he never got a shot, except that it seems nobody ever considers a STC for HC.  But his football knowledge is off the charts, as well as his handling of his players.

He wants to be the guy who makes the final decision.  They both bring ideas, or disputes to him, and he makes the decision.  Problem with that is he knows nothing about football at any level.  This is a very bad idea and a formula for disaster.  It's going to cause conflict between the GM, and the HC. Like we just saw with both the last two regimes.  Somebody that knows football needs to be in charge, not an entitled brat.
A democracy doesn't work in business.    

Ever heard of a board of directors? Always an odd number for democratic decision making purposes lol

I hear ya. Hey. Maybe Chris has been reading some books. Didn’t mike golic put one out not too long ago? Pretty informative I’ve heard. :)

4 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES

No retreads. All the retread candidates suck. The is ZERO predictive value to the success of a head coach either by being a first time HC or a retread. It is all about selecting the right individual. The Jets chose poorly by focusing on defensive minded guys that were also not balanced in their approach. Finding the right offensive minded coach that will be balanced in a dynamic first time head coach has far more chance of success than someone like McCarthy and Caldwell that are just not adaptable.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If Monken is the guy they better have a long tooth D coordinator that can help.  That is the one thing I worry about with a new young guy, the ability and or the smarts to get some vet position coaches.

Monken is not really young, but he will need to make a smart defensive head coach hire.

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No retreads. All the retread candidates suck. The is ZERO predictive value to the success of a head coach either by being a first time HC or a retread. It is all about selecting the right individual. The Jets chose poorly by focusing on defensive minded guys that were also not balanced in their approach. Finding the right offensive minded coach that will be balanced in a dynamic first time head coach has far more chance of success than someone like McCarthy and Caldwell that are just not adaptable.

Being close to that balance is a journey, and I believe that an experienced head coach is much closer to achieving such goal than someone who has not held the position of head coach ever before.

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Translation, Richard isn't getting a HC job this year

8 jobs available & Garrett won't let him interview? Wow, that's pretty shocking actually. Garrett doesn't know what it's like to be fired until he gets knocked out of the playoffs by Seattle. Jerrah has let out a loooong leash for Garrett. 

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

8 jobs available & Garrett won't let him interview? Wow, that's pretty shocking actually. Garrett doesn't know what it's like to be fired until he gets knocked out of the playoffs by Seattle. Jerrah has let out a loooong leash for Garrett. 

Apparently this is a league rule.  WC teams coaches cannot interview this week.  They have to wait until after their first game.  Breer or Slater reported that we are interviewing Richard on Sunday.  

Breer also mentioned that Monken would be in consideration for the OC job more than HC.  Perhaps CJ is covering his basis if they are serious about Richard, by bringing in a very talented OC.

I wonder if Kingsbury would consider it if they made him one of the highest paid assistant coaches or gave him a longer than usual contract.

Apparently this is a league rule.  WC teams coaches cannot interview this week.  They have to wait until after their first game.  Breer or Slater reported that we are interviewing Richard on Sunday.  
Breer also mentioned that Monken would be in consideration for the OC job more than HC.  Perhaps CJ is covering his basis if they are serious about Richard, by bringing in a very talented OC.
I wonder if Kingsbury would consider it if they made him one of the highest paid assistant coaches or gave him a longer than usual contract.

Assuming McCarty gets the Job wouldn't he have guys he knows already in mind for OC? I know people change but seems like he would go with the former?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived