Chris Johnson: New coach will report to me

Lizard King

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did he say anything about where Jamal Adams aligns in this reporting structure? 

He did say he came in and talked to players this morning to get their thoughts on what the team needs.  Including Jamal.

But I'm sure some will think this is a negative

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is the best part about this. Means Macc doesn't get a 4 year extension.

Sounds great until head coaching candidates become flakey on the job because there is no guarantee that they will be here longer than 2 years.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No, but at least put someone in charge. Chris Johnson being in charge is about as appealing as the measles.

Oh, I certainly agree that they should be completely restructuring things, but it became crystal clear that wasn't happen the moment it was decided to retain Maccagnan, so this is the best of the series of moronic options that remained.

1 minute ago, sciond said:

So this is what we are reduced to as fans....

Trying to find an explanation as to why this might not be stupid.

Nope not possible

Might be better than to keep trying to come up with reasons why it is stupid

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is the best part about this. Means Macc doesn't get a 4 year extension.

If you have no confidence in the Gm to run the team and pick the coach.  fire him.

The one and only reason to do other wise is if the gm is such a good evaluator of talent drafter, fa signer he must stay even if he is not a leader.  And mac is not that.

Everyone thinks they are jerry jones.  This franchise is a toy for the johnsons.  They are not stewards of a historic franchise.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, I certainly agree that they should be completely restructuring things, but it became crystal clear that wasn't happen the moment it was decided to retain Maccagnan, so this is the best of the series of moronic options that remained.

Retaining Maccagnan and not Bowles should have been the precursor of him getting control of the football ops, imo. Either do that or fire them both, instead we get the reverse Rex/Idzik. Let him sink and swim while being the definitive person in charge. At least we could put this sill structure to bed for a few years. This silo'd structure has no chance of ever working if either JOhnson has final say on things.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You really think being told the head coach would report to friggin' Maccagnan would come with greater appeal to the HC candidates?

This is simply the slightly lesser of two very horrific evils.

This system failed with Rex and Idzik.  Failed with Macc and Bowles.  It will fail again, guaranteed.

So yes, I would rather the new coach report to Macc.  The two of them work together, discuss things together, iron out their differences face to face...

The triangle thing?  Like I said... leads to sneaking around, different agendas, backstabbing,  and otherwise B.S. instead of acting like grown ups working towards the same goal.

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

They'd rather report to a guy who has ZERO knowledge of football?  C'mon

All this is going to do is the same thing it's done with the last 2 hires, cause in fighting, and chaos.   Chris Johnson knows as much about football as he does about brain surgery.   

Agree it's not ideal maybe even bad but green glasses on, I think it's better than reporting to a guy who has questionable NFL talent evaluation knowledge who reports to a guy with ZERO football knowledge

Do you think Mac deserves a promotion?

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He did say he came in and talked to players this morning to get their thoughts on what the team needs.  Including Jamal.

But I'm sure some will think this is a negative

Makes sense they get his input, considering he's Presidentmal.

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

How is this good news?  Chris Johnson thought footballs were round 2 years ago

It opens the door to a stronger-willed HC to be willing to come.  Chris Johnson may not be a very savvy football guy but he mostly leaves his hands off the football side of the business (from what we can see at least).  So a HC coming in doesn't have to answer to a below-average GM.  He answers to the owner.  And what isn't being said is that, depending on the HC selected, he may have a great deal of influence over personnel decisions.  Basically, it's no different from teams that have a VP of Football operations except that CJ is not trying to be Jerry Jones.  I really don't have a problem with this.

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You really think being told the head coach would report to friggin' Maccagnan would come with greater appeal to the HC candidates?

This is simply the slightly lesser of two very horrific evils.

It really does depend on who the coach is...

If they manage to really bring in a big name - like Harbaugh or even McCarthy then this could work because Mac would be pretty much neutered...but the more likely scenario is they get a 2nd tier guy and it'll be the same BS all over again.

48 year old Jet fan here.  Really, when every one of my childhood friends worshipped Terry B and the Steelers, I wore green.  This report disappoints me greatly.  The Jets have never been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  with the money and fan base we have, thats absolutely pathetic.  There have been MANY coaches, GM's and players along the way, but there is one common thread to this unfortunate losing culture, and that is the ownership.   There is a reason why Belichick ran for the hills when offered the head coaching job, and why Parcells quickly bailed out himself.  The ownership is toxic with their hesitations regarding decisions on topics that require a confident and decisive action, and there is too often meddling in certain aspects of running the organization with which they possess no ability whatsoever.  It is a sign of poor leadership and it has permeated the jet culture for too long.

I was looking forward to next season as of 4PM yesterday, but with this announcement, it sounds like another round of BS is on the way.

No wonder we wont be getting Harbaugh - a man who I believe could actually turn this around.  Why the hell would he put his name on this train wreck if he cant even be given the chance to fix it.    Its time to put the kids to bed and let the grownups be in charge.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Retaining Maccagnan and not Bowles should have been the precursor of him getting control of the football ops, imo. Either do that or fire them both, instead we get the reverse Rex/Idzik. Let him sink and swim while being the definitive person in charge. At least we could put this sill structure to bed for a few years. This silo'd structure has no chance of ever working if either JOhnson has final say on things.

Retaining Maccagnan was idiotic.  The solution to giving an incompetent one more inexplicable chance at keeping his job is most certainly not handing him even more authority beyond the level he's already shown himself incapable of handling to this point.  Just because they made a stupid decision doesn't mean they should pointlessly double down on it.

Bottom line, Chris Johnson isn't going to have a damn thing to do with how the new HC actually coaches.  All it means is whoever it is won't have to listen to Maccagnan's stupid ass.  At some point the Jets should clean this mess up, but you don't do it while sporting the league's very worst at what is the lower-level equivalent of the job.

49 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

I guess you have to stick with a proven formula.  Proven to be a miserable failure, but proven none the less.

Well this is the only sensible decision after making the idiotic decision to keep mac.. No HC worth a dam is not coming here if Mac is calling the shots.. 

This could be a very smart decision. Most of the top coaches want the reins and make most of the decisions. This could be a very attractive job with darnold, 100 mil in free cap, and now we see most if not all the control of major moves. Mac will be the little Dutch boy, handle contracts, fetch coffee, etc. 

49 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Serious question, and one I wish a reporter would actually sack up and ask Chris:

What exactly are Christopher Johnson's qualifications as an executive? What organization has he ever built and successfully led from the ground up? I'm not talking charities that he's run using money his grandfather made for him. Something HE'S actually done. What's his education? What football experience does he have that qualifies him to supervise a head coach?

Your question is an exercise in futility. Like it or not, the only qualification required is to own the team or to be left in charge by the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

FAN  is reporting that CJ is telling the press that the new coach will be his pick, and will be on an equal footing with Macc.  Reporting to CJ directly......Oy.....

Hopefully Chris J will see the light....and fire himself.

So what powers will Macc actually have? Can he make trades, sign FA’s, select draft picks? Isn’t that his job? If he won’t be allowed to then why was he kept on in the first place ? Personally, I hope all he does is make the coffee. He good at that. ️ 

37 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This could be a very smart decision. Most of the top coaches want the reins and make most of the decisions. This could be a very attractive job with darnold, 100 mil in free cap, and now we see most if not all the control of major moves. Mac will be the little Dutch boy, handle contracts, fetch coffee, etc. 

Handle contracts? Like he did with Mo? Like he did with Fitz? Like he did with all those other losers he signed to bloated deals? 

Oh NO.

Archived