Chris Johnson: New coach will report to me

Lizard King

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BigO said:

Handle contracts? Like he did with Mo? Like he did with Fitz? Like he did with all those other losers he signed to bloated deals? 

Oh NO.

Lol.. well he won’t be picking the players, so he will just take orders from the HC, make can just draw up the contract and fax them ?

32 minutes ago, BigO said:

Wow ? I think I started watching football around ‘64. Packers were revolutionary then. Namath putvJeys on the map. Since the SB, we have lost the last 13 divisional playoff games. SMH ??‍♂️ 

I remember Al Dorow, Art Powell for a while.  Do you remember Babe Parilli and Cookie Gilchrist?

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I remember Al Dorow, Art Powell for a while.  Do you remember Babe Parilli and Cookie Gilchrist?

I recall all those players except Dorow. Watched AFL back then a lot. I remember the Chargers and Bills were tough back then.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

So many terrible takes.

There is a difference between an arranged marriage with equal control and one where the GM gets to actually choose his bride.

Flame away.

But the GM and the HC still will not be a unified chain of command, which means they'll be working separately and each on their own,  2 different agendas. Again. It hasn't worked here yet; why will this time be any different? Unless they get they get the Big Swinging Dick coach like Harbaugh and he essentially demands Maccagnan be demoted to a lesser role. 

They're talking about Jim Caldwell, for f__'s sake....

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Boston Patriot QB and Buffalo Bill RB. Cookie was a beast. LOL First game I remember watching was the Giants-Bears Championship in '63 with my dad and grandfather. That offseason the Jets drafted 2 QBs, Joe Namath, and John Huarte from Notre Dame. I've been hooked on this team since. ?

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I would hope that darnold’s opinions on what this team needs would be more important that those of Adams.  Adams is a bowles apologist.

I would hope that Darnolds opinions and Adams opinions are taken with a grain of salt.  Especially Darnold who cares about what a 21 year old whos played for one and only one NFL coach thinks in regards to the next guy?  

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Serious question, and one I wish a reporter would actually sack up and ask Chris:

What exactly are Christopher Johnson's qualifications as an executive? What organization has he ever built and successfully led from the ground up? I'm not talking charities that he's run using money his grandfather made for him. Something HE'S actually done. What's his education? What football experience does he have that qualifies him to supervise a head coach?

I would love to know the answer. I have read that other franchises do it this way as well, but it can lead to chaos when not ran properly. So far, the Johnson's have not shown any acumen in that area. They simply are people who are rich enough to own an NFL franchise and still make money while the product on the field is barely watchable.

I really like Chris Johnson, I do..............

The reporting structure doesn't worry me, it is Johnson's statement that the Jets were somehow loaded with talent that worries me.  The Jets didn't perform at a high level true but to say that they have enough talent to win is and wasn't realistic.....

6 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

sadly, it is a  better option then reporting to Mac until he proves he belongs in that chair - this is good news

How does a guy who is on the same level as the head coach prove that he belongs in that chair? The Jets power structure is not conducive for a GM to succeed if he doesn't truly have control over the team. A guy with a strong background in scouting all of a sudden forgets how to scout players? When the GM and head coach both report to the owner, the head coach becomes the de facto GM.  

It's possible that Macc truly does suck at GM. As soon as he becomes more than a GM in name only, we can find out if/when he becomes a GM of another organization who isn't owned by morons.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

So many terrible takes.

There is a difference between an arranged marriage with equal control and one where the GM gets to actually choose his bride.

Flame away.

It's no different than an arranged marriage. It's like blaming the wife in an arranged marriage for failure to have children because the husband was sterile. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Boston Patriot QB and Buffalo Bill RB. Cookie was a beast. LOL First game I remember watching was the Giants-Bears Championship in '63 with my dad and grandfather. That offseason the Jets drafted 2 QBs, Joe Namath, and John Huarte from Notre Dame. I've been hooked on this team since. ?

I think cookie went about 250.  LIneman size back in the day.  AT least for DEs.  Chicago Bears Billy Wade at QB, Ronnie Bull at RB, Doug Atkins at DE.  Was that pre-Butkus?  Remember Mike Taliaferro from Illinois at QB?  He pronounced it Tolliver, for some reason

13 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think cookie went about 250.  LIneman size back in the day.  AT least for DEs.  Chicago Bears Billy Wade at QB, Ronnie Bull at RB, Doug Atkins at DE.  Was that pre-Butkus?  Remember Mike Taliaferro from Illinois at QB?  He pronounced it Tolliver, for some reason

It's amazing the dumb stuff I remember from when I was young. Not only do I remember those guys, I can picture them. I was actually talking today to an old friend about a Cotton Bowl between Texas and Navy. The two big names were Staubach and a OL named Scott Appleton. How can I remember Appleton and not what I had for dinner yesterday? BTW I live in a golf community in N. Myrtle Beach. Two of my friends and neighbors are Roman Gabriel and, wait for it... Rich Kotite.

22 minutes ago, jack48 said:

It was pre Butkus. I remember him coming out of Illinois the same time as Tommy Nobis from Georgia a few years later. Two great MLBs, obviously.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The reporting structure doesn't worry me, it is Johnson's statement that the Jets were somehow loaded with talent that worries me.  The Jets didn't perform at a high level true but to say that they have enough talent to win is and wasn't realistic.....

I agree 100% any HC candidate will laugh at that, and may be scared off at that comment.. Unless johnson Privately contradicts that public comment and says “ hey I know the gm has to get you a lot more talent, we are not expecting new HC to be a miracle worker “ he will balk at this job 

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It's amazing the dumb stuff I remember from when I was young. Not only do I remember those guys, I can picture them. I was actually talking today to an old friend about a Cotton Bowl between Texas and Navy. The two big names were Staubach and a OL named Scott Appleton. How can I remember Appleton and not what I had for dinner yesterday? BTW I live in a golf community in N. Myrtle Beach. Two of my friends and neighbors are Roman Gabriel and, wait for it... Rich Kotite.

Texas killed them. I was devastated.  I still clearly remember a Buffalo-Boston game late season--probably for first place--where Jim Nance broke a 60 something yard run---and he was another huge guy--got a TD.  I remember guys like Frank Tripucka and MIke Garrett, Otis Taylor...I really enjoyed the AFL.  I think my favorite player before Joe was Paul Lowe.  I always felt like Kotite's mind was on the golf course when he coached here. :)

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Regular Menage a Trois at Florham Park?

I hope Heimerdinger has some input.  Just because I do not know hwat he can do and i have seen what Macc can do.  I keep trying to tell myself that Todd was the guy CJ was really listening to and Macc was shunted off to the side.  But I am just engaged in wishful thinking.

20 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

He’s the CEO and he sits in the canteen with the players and watches from the sidelines. He has to look these people in the eye and motivate them. He has to say that about the players going forward and while I don’t agree we are loaded with talent I also don’t  think anyone in that locker room has bee put in a position to succeed or maximise their potential. He’s right that they alll can do better. And Adams is right that we need more talent but the CEO has to be a bit more tactful than that.

BTW I agree about Johnson. I’ve been impressed with him

I’m just catching up on this part of the press conference. Can anyone tell me what coach—young, old, retread, A-list or D-list—is going to take a job where 1. You’re working for two established failures in Johnson and Maccagnan and 2. You’re barred from having any institutional controls and are at the explicit mercy of the decisions of those two failures? What an absolute clusterf*ck this is. I’m curious to hear the big Jets homers on here explain why this is either wise or appealing.

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This was extremely predictable in that they were going to throw Bowles under the bus before he could finish cleaning out his desk. The bad news is that, given the coverage, no one is buying it. I thought it was impossible to make the Jets job more radioactive than it was in 2014-15, but here we are. 

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:
Here's all you need to know regarding Chris Johnson's grasp of reality:
“It’s not all about Sam,” Johnson said. “I think Mike is a good talent evaluator, period.”
https://nypost.com/2018/12/31/jets-ceo-to-coach-candidates-you-can-be-freaking-legend/

Yeah. I gotta say, that article scares me. I just get the sense CJ thinks he’s a football guy and is way more involved in football decisions than we thought. more so than Woody.

And because he made the choices with Mac he’s not blaming him and looking at this with blinders on.

It's starting to come into focus for me now - the reason Chris has both reporting to him is that he's looking at himself as basically the GM with Mac as his head scout/right hand. 

No coach with another choice is going to come here.

We’re doomed!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This was extremely predictable in that they were going to throw Bowles under the bus before he could finish cleaning out his desk. The bad news is that, given the coverage, no one is buying it. I thought it was impossible to make the Jets job more radioactive than it was in 2014-15, but here we are. 

Wrong again, no one was thrown under the bus.

And any candidate that thinks Bowles was fired because the team did win enough, because he did a really good job, shouldnt be interviewed.  

Predictable?  Funny, going into this I could predict which of the posters would go on and on about how unattractive the job is and I was pretty dead on right.  Turn on the TV and hear the talking heads on NFLN and ESPN talk about this being the most attractive landing spot outside of Cleveland and then come here and have TomShane and company call their team radioactive, a clusterF etc.  Its laughable.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just catching up on this part of the press conference. Can anyone tell me what coach—young, old, retread, A-list or D-list—is going to take a job where 1. You’re working for two established failures in Johnson and Maccagnan and 2. You’re barred from having any institutional controls and are at the explicit mercy of the decisions of those two failures? What an absolute clusterf*ck this is. I’m curious to hear the big Jets homers on here explain why this is either wise or appealing.

Jim Caldwell who is a retread loser and has no other job prospects is what this sorry franchise is going to end up with.

Bowles really screwed us. He had the longest leash and now we are stuck making changes when their are 8 openings and chaotic. If only we could have kept the pair of idiots for 1 more year and then dumped them both.

Bowles was actually that bad and had to be fired. It just makes things really difficult. F this, I’m going back to making stupid pictures to deal with all this. 

Archived