joewilly12

Jets WR's: Jeremy Bates made offense predictable mess

Jets receivers: Jeremy Bates made offense a predictable mess

December 31, 2018 | 2:03pm | Updated 

Modal Trigger
Jeremy Bates
Jeremy BatesGetty Images

A day after the Jets season came to an end, a few of the team’s wide receivers expressed their frustration with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

The Jets finished 29th in total offense this season, struggling to move the ball in Bates’ first season as coordinator. Both Quincy Enunwa and Jermaine Kearse said Bates’ system had issues.

“Guys were put in boxes, and I think that it kind of affected how defenses played against us,” Enunwa told The Post. “It’s not easy as a receiver when you’re told that this is the only route you’re gonna run, and then the defense also knows that. It didn’t lend to a lot of variety.

“When you keep defenses on their heels, it makes it that much easier for the offensive players, and we weren’t capable of doing that. It was very predictable. That kind of makes it hard as a player, and it makes it easier on the defense.”

Enunwa said the problems were expressed to Bates, but nothing changed.

“Yes. I think small things were said throughout the year,” Enunwa said. “Injuries kind of slowed some stuff down, with Sam [Darnold], with myself, so we had some issues, but I think that there still wasn’t much of an excuse as to why you have guys doing certain things when they’re able to do more or they’re not able to do certain things. It just wasn’t favorable.”

Enunwa finished the year with 38 catches for 449 yards and one touchdown in 11 games. Kearse played 14 games and had 37 catches for 371 yards and one touchdown.

Modal Trigger

“I felt that I wasn’t a part of it as much,” Kearse said of the offense. “I felt like I kind of got put on the back burner a bit, which can happen. For me, coming off my best year statistically the year before, I had some really high expectations. It was just really frustrating and unfortunate that things didn’t go the way I expected, which happens some times. Do I think it played a role? Yes. But, like I said, I hold myself accountable. At the end of the day, I have to go out there and perform.”

Asked to assess Bates, Kearse said, “I’m going to pass.”

Kearse, who is scheduled to become a free agent in March, stressed he was taking the blame for his poor season and not just blaming Bates.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Kearse said. “I’m not going to sit here and put all the blame on him. I hold myself accountable. I’m out there on the field. It weighs on me, too. It wasn’t a match. It just didn’t match. The year before, I was able to showcase a little bit more.”

Additional reporting by Steve Serby

• Upvote 1

Coaching does not matter at all, anyone who has played a few quarters of Madden can coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Why is he still employed as the OC for the NY Jets? 

Could be the reason for Jermaine Kearse's attitude and game play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

I guess Todd Bowels was ok with all of this.  

No remember Todd was not inolved in the offense at least when it was bad.  

Yeah the offensive was not good. funny that one guy that can't stay healthy and one guy that was a flat out bum all year start bleating.  And guess what?  Who hand picked bates?  Yeah your boy todd who got rid of Morton.

STFU unless you have accomplished something or are playing with no fault.  Kearse should be the 1st punt in the off season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Enunwa has been waiting to dish for a while now. He gave that cryptic “gonna keep my mouth shut for now” comment a few weeks back. 

That being said, it’s tough to watch a Jets offense when they do stupid **** like run it up the gut at the goal line on 3rd and 3. 

• Upvote 4

In no way defending Bates but let’s be real it takes a dependable receiving Corp and a lot of confidence in a rookie QB to have more than a vanilla passing attack 

there was an N FL article where some DCs were sayinig it was like a amateur version of teh most basic west coast type thing ever.

that it was entirely predictyable by formation. 

so. yeah 14 games in anderson FINALLyh starts runningf deep comeback routes...  really? 

• Like 1

The offense had barely enough talent when fully healthy and they weren't healthy all year.

Seems like they scored some points when the receivers were out of the hot tub.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah the offensive was not good. funny that one guy that can't stay healthy and one guy that was a flat out bum all year start bleating.  And guess what?  Who hand picked bates?  Yeah your boy todd who got rid of Morton.

STFU unless you have accomplished something or are playing with no fault.  Kearse should be the 1st punt in the off season.

It must suck to play for a coach who you know has no idea what he's doing.  And then you try to tell him something and he keeps doing the same old sh*t.  This is some damning stuff and makes Bowles look like a real buffoon, considering Morton did a good job the year before.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

It must suck to play for a coach who you know has no idea what he's doing.  And then you try to tell him something and he keeps doing the same old sh*t.  This is some damning stuff and makes Bowles look like a real buffoon, considering Morton did a good job the year before.

There certainly was a big problem with play design as we were discussing in the NE game day thread.  Other teams Wr are always running free, our guys were always covered.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Good thing they fired Morton for no reason other than passing too much.

He did so well in 2017 with a terrible cast that Bowles probably felt he was a threat to his job lol. 

• Upvote 2

Todd hired this bum because he didn’t want a competent replacement on staff. And it worked. Worst coach in NFL survived to end of season because his assistant coaches are the league-worst staff.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

He did so well in 2017 with a terrible cast that Bowles probably felt he was a threat to his job lol. 

Is true

• Upvote 2

Have I ever told you guys my “garbage couch” theory of online dating? Well, here it is. Sometimes you’re going about your business and you see someone has left a really sweet couch out by the curb for bulk pickup day and you think, man, I would love a sweet couch, so you call your buddy with the pickup truck and you steal this garbage couch off the curb and get it into your living room and find out two weeks later why it was in the garbage: maybe it smells like baby sh*t, or maybe your friends keep getting bloodstains on their pants and you realize someone was murdered on this couch and it’s never going to dry, or maybe there’s a cat corpse trapped inside, or maybe the design of the couch is tailored specifically for tiny Norwegian men and sitting on this couch for 16 hours straight playing Red Dead Redemption 2 was painful and now you have curvature-of-the-spine issues that will never heal, all because of this couch you found in the garbage. Anyway, there’s always a reason the couch was in the garbage, and that non-hideous broad answered your desperately sh*t-ass, emoji-filled message on Match, and there was an offensive coordinator available to work for your trash-ass team.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wow. This is pretty blunt stuff. That’s what happens when you pull guys out of retirement to come in and run the show.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Allowing Todd Bowles to make any decision regarding offense was a terrible mistake by mac.. John Morton was right to ignore Bowles about how he wants the offense to run 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Every week, Jets fans wondered aloud as to why their receivers were never open—like receivers are on other teams. I wonder if this was the reason. 🤔

I know I wondered.

Forgetting about everything else that happened during his tenure, replacing Morton with Bates, and entrusting him with the development of a rookie QB while at the same time overseeing an entire offense, was a fireable offense in and of itself.  When you think about the coaching, as well as the supporting offensive talent, it is really remarkable what Sam was able to accomplish as a rookie.

Hopefully we get the right guy in here and Sam takes a leap in year 2, with a better supporting cast.  We need a playoff run next year.  8 years is enough.

• Upvote 3

Our predictability is one of the things that make use boring. But more importantly, if you're not as good as the other team, and  man for man we are not ("not enough dawgs..."), then it seems logical to me that you have to be creative with your offense, try some gimmick plays to keep them off balance. I see that every other team does these flea flickers where the qb is catching a TD pass etc. But we play straight ahead, predictable, no razzle dazzle football on offense; of course we 're are gong to lose if we don't try some razzle dazzle  surprise plays. If you can't win with talent, you have to win with innovative coaching. (IMO, we saw Mangini do this in his first year with us)