Jonah Williams or Josh Allen at #3?

Freemanm

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could say Jonah Williams but from everything I’m hearing he projects to right tackle in the nfl.  Supposedly he moved to left tackle his senior year because Alabama lost their left tackle and he had a down year and should be moved back to right.  If Shell is healthy I feel comfortable with him on the right.

I want a tackle more than a pass rusher but honsestly when we’re on the board if bosa goes 1 the 9ers can’t take another defensive lineman after taking them years in a row.  Quinen Williams would be the best player available.  Would love to trade down a few spots and still get Jonah though. Unfortunately I can’t say I know much about josh Allen yet but from the people I’ve listened to he’s not projected to go as high as 3 at this time, that could change. 

19 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

I wish I could say Jonah Williams but from everything I’m hearing he projects to right tackle in the nfl.  Supposedly he moved to left tackle his senior year because Alabama lost their left tackle and he had a down year and should be moved back to right.  If Shell is healthy I feel comfortable with him on the right.

I want a tackle more than a pass rusher but honsestly when we’re on the board if bosa goes 1 the 9ers can’t take another defensive lineman after taking them years in a row.  Quinen Williams would be the best player available.  Would love to trade down a few spots and still get Jonah though. Unfortunately I can’t say I know much about josh Allen yet but from the people I’ve listened to he’s not projected to go as high as 3 at this time, that could change. 

You need to find a different source for your information. Williams started as a true freshman at RT for Bama and has started at LT his last two years. He has never missed a game in his career and was a 5star recruit coming out of HS with offers to all of the biggest colleges out there. He's also just turned 21 and has never missed a game in his career and is a true junior.

To answer the OP. Jonah Williams 1000%. 

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

You need to find a different source for your information. Williams started as a true freshman at RT for Bama and has started at LT his last two years. He has never missed a game in his career and was a 5star recruit coming out of HS with offers to all of the biggest colleges out there. He's also just turned 21 and has never missed a game in his career and is a true junior.

To answer the OP. Jonah Williams 1000%. 

Exactly and by all accounts has essentially been elite. All the RT nonsense is about some meaurable and that will go away in workouts. He should be the pick, unless we can do something like Evans their 1st and 2nd for 3.

I don't know much about Jonah Williams, but I am not going to get mad at taking an OT at 3 just because he was projected to go later in the first round. If the kid makes the line stronger, take him. The whole draft position defining a player is bullcrap. Do you think that fans for other teams would be crying if they "reached" for Nick Mangold at 10-15?

11 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Williams will have a national audition in the cfcg this week against Clemson's pass rush. 

Excited to see how he holds up. 

He'll probably be going against Ferrell almost every play.

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Which position has the most need, assuming Jets don’t trade down? If they do, it should be with either the Jags or even the Broncos, as both need QBs and both are in top 10

Will depend on FA 

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

He'll probably be going against Ferrell almost every play.

I hope so. I recall the year we picked Brick he had a strong showing at the Sr bowl which helped solidify him as worthy at 4. 

6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Jonah Williams is a big reach at 3. If Allen falls to 3 (he’ll probably be taken at 2) Jets should be all over him. 

It feels like when I was watching some of his tape, he always has a direct path to the QB and rarely had to use more than one pass rush move to get past the lineman. Super good athlete and good bend but just didn’t see a ton of variety in his game. Don’t get me wrong, Allen is still super talented and has all the tools but I’d be more concerned over that than arm length.

I think the Jonah Williams arm length argument is sort of silly. I would definitely go Jonah. Baker Mayfield’s height was the big talk with the combine measurement last year and I feel like Jonah’s 1/2 less than ideal arm length will be in a similar way. I don’t mind “reaching” on a OL that can play any where along the line, has elite footwork, great hand placement and punch and overall is really technically sound in his game at 21. Sam needs protection and there are far better Edge options in FA than OL. 

Like @Lith said, If Jonah is a consistent pro bowler but was picked sooner than projected by draft pundits, then no one is going to care about the draft slot. Any Top 10 should be a pro bowler and if that’s what you get at 3 or 8-10...then who cares? Same difference if you ask me. He’s only getting pushed down in rankings and projections because of elite DL/DT’s...

OL is too important. I’m tired of our guy running for his life. Jonah is a plug and play prospect.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It feels like when I was watching some of his tape, he always has a direct path to the QB and rarely had to use more than one pass rush move to get past the lineman. Super good athlete and good bend but just didn’t see a ton of variety in his game. 

I think the Jonah Williams arm length argument is sort of silly. I would definitely go Jonah. Baker Mayfield’s height was the big talk with the combine measurement last year and I feel like Jonah’s 1/2 less than ideal arm length will be in a similar way. I don’t mind “reaching” on a OL that can play any where along the line. Sam needs protection and there are far better Edge options in FA than OL. 

If Jonah is a consistent pro bowler but was picked at #3 then no one is going to care about the draft slot.

Quinton Nelson says high. Don’t know if he is or will be as capable but many said you can’t draft a guard that high. His acquisition has done wonders for the Colts 

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I don't know much about Jonah Williams, but I am not going to get mad at taking an OT at 3 just because he was projected to go later in the first round. If the kid makes the line stronger, take him. The whole draft position defining a player is bullcrap. Do you think that fans for other teams would be crying if they "reached" for Nick Mangold at 10-15?

This.

6 hours ago, RobR said:

There are no FA tackles worthy of signing. We either draft that guy or play another year with an aging Beachum protecting Darnold.

My only hesitation here is that I don’t think Beachum and Shell are all that bad, but I know for a fact that our pass rush is pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The next person to call Jonah Williams a reach at #3 can give me a reach-around.

I’m taking him all damn day. Supporting Darnold is by far our biggest priority.

It's insane. The highest rated OT in the draft and we're supposed to pass on him because Johnny Comb Over on ESPN thinks he should go 8th. 

He started all 3 years at Alabama not to mention as a true freshman. 

And people wonder why we always suck. 

Archived