More on Heimerdinger's plate?

HawkeyeJet

Been traveling today, so apologies if this was already discussed.  Anyway, from what I have been able to read about everything going on, I think and underrated nugget is Heimerdinger is going to be helping on the coaching search. 

I don't think that is probably ordinary for a personnel director.  I could be wrong.  Maybe moving forward, he's going to have more responsibilities.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

One of the most important things about this off season is that baby dinger doesn't get hired away 

I see him as the GM in waiting 

It's possible if maccagnan doesn't get extended that he takes over next year 

What do we know about him that makes him so valuable

the only 2 things I’ve heard he has done, is being behind bringing in Bates and Trumaine Johnson

3 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

the only 2 things I’ve heard he has done, is being behind bringing in Bates and Trumaine Johnson

Initiated and was the go-between w/the Colts for the trade up to #3 

and yes, that's his wife. 

51 minutes ago, Larz said:

One of the most important things about this off season is that baby dinger doesn't get hired away 

I see him as the GM in waiting 

It's possible if maccagnan doesn't get extended that he takes over next year 

Seems to me that baby Dinger is the next GM.  It would be REALLY stupid for the Jets to hire a new coach this year and then fire Mac in a year or two.  Dinger gives them continuity and it doesn't **** everything up if Mac is canned.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

He's anyone but the guy everyone loves to hate right now. ;-) 

Edit: Formatting is a bitch

JANUARY 22, 2018

It’s Senior Bowl week. Heimerdinger meets Colts VP of player personnel Ed Dodds at the hotel bar at the Battlehouse in Mobile, Ala. Indianapolis has the No. 3 pick. The Jets have the No. 6 pick again, and a Plan A and Plan B at quarterback. Plan A: Sign Kirk Cousins, who has played in Bates’s offense and is a favorite of 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who happens to have strong ties to both Bates and Heimerdinger. Plan B: Trade up for one of the 2018 quarterbacks.

The conversation between Heimerdinger and Dodds gets the wheels turning on the latter. And that principle Maccagnan has of not going crazy—like, say, Washington did in 2012 to get Robert Griffin III—for anyone but a once-in-30-years guy like Luck? That colors the conversation, with the second-rounder from the Richardson trade an essential piece to pulling off the Jets’ goal of holding on to all future first-round picks.

Heimerdinger and Dodds meet for a drink at the JW Marriott bar in Indy. Heimerdinger inquires if other teams have asked about the third pick. Both leave with the idea of continuing talks if the Jets’ pursuit of Cousins fails.

Maccagnan had promoted Heimerdinger to vice president 10 months earlier, so he trusted his No. 2 to lead the effort from the team facility. That frees the GM up to fly to Norman, Okla., for Mayfield’s March 14 pro day, then to Los Angeles for Rosen’s pro day on March 16.

Before any of that, Heimerdinger calls Dodds in Indianapolis: “We’re gonna need the pick.”

On Thursday, March 15, Dodds passes Heimerdinger off to Ballard, and the deal is done early Saturday. The Jets send their slotted second-rounders for 2018 and ’19, plus the Richardson second-rounder, to Indy to move up from 6 to 3, knowing there are three QBs they’d value there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

—It’s Senior Bowl week. Heimerdinger meets Colts VP of player personnel Ed Dodds at the hotel bar at the Battlehouse in Mobile, Ala. Indianapolis has the No. 3 pick. The Jets have the No. 6 pick again, and a Plan A and Plan B at quarterback. Plan A: Sign Kirk Cousins, who has played in Bates’s offense and is a favorite of 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who happens to have strong ties to both Bates and Heimerdinger. Plan B: Trade up for one of the 2018 quarterbacks.

—The conversation between Heimerdinger and Dodds gets the wheels turning on the latter. And that principle Maccagnan has of not going crazy—like, say, Washington did in 2012 to get Robert Griffin III—for anyone but a once-in-30-years guy like Luck? That colors the conversation, with the second-rounder from the Richardson trade an essential piece to pulling off the Jets’ goal of holding on to all future first-round picks.

—Heimerdinger and Dodds meet for a drink at the JW Marriott bar in Indy. Heimerdinger inquires if other teams have asked about the third pick. Both leave with the idea of continuing talks if the Jets’ pursuit of Cousins fails.

—Maccagnan had promoted Heimerdinger to vice president 10 months earlier, so he trusted his No. 2 to lead the effort from the team facility. That frees the GM up to fly to Norman, Okla., for Mayfield’s March 14 pro day, then to Los Angeles for Rosen’s pro day on March 16. Before any of that, Heimerdinger calls Dodds in Indianapolis: “We’re gonna need the pick.”

—On Thursday, March 15, Dodds passes Heimerdinger off to Ballard, and the deal is done early Saturday. The Jets send their slotted second-rounders for 2018 and ’19, plus the Richardson second-rounder, to Indy to move up from 6 to 3, knowing there are three QBs they’d value there.

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ever hear the old adage about the backup QB being the most popular player on a team? That's Heimerdinger.

Yep, still baffles me that people who want Maccagnan burnt at the stake then revere Heimerdunger. He’s been here all along and is as responsible for our last few drafts as anyone. 

40 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Yep, still baffles me that people who want Maccagnan burnt at the stake then revere Heimerdunger. He’s been here all along and is as responsible for our last few drafts as anyone. 

We don't know what happens behind the scenes... all we know is macc is the gm & his name goes with the merchandise... so ultimately he takes the praise or the fall however it works out.

35 minutes ago, jetsons said:

We don't know what happens behind the scenes... all we know is macc is the gm & his name goes with the merchandise... so ultimately he takes the praise or the fall however it works out.

Actually, when the fans like a move they will say it's in spite of him but when something goes wrong it is all his fault.

39 minutes ago, jetsons said:

True of course, but it’s a fair assumption that Heimerdinger, as the trusted No 2 all along has had a heavy influence in everything from trades to the selection of a ‘box safety’ over a QB in  2017.

10 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I was wondering if this is one of the reasons mccagnan was retained, that chris Johnson has faith in this gm tandem and that if mccagnan stumbles heimdinger is the successor.

I rack my brain to think whhy Macc was kept.  CJ is stupid is the best answer.  But whenever you have an equal division of power, the power giver invariably favors one over the other.  It is only human, particularly when you are not a football guy yourself.  Maybe Macc made suggestions CJ did not follow--took Bowles' advice instead-- and Macc's warnings  proved to be accurate?  Otherwise, why did he keep him?

17 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I rack my brain to think whhy Macc was kept.  CJ is stupid is the best answer.  But whenever you have an equal division of power, the power giver invariably favors one over the other.  It is only human, particularly when you are not a football guy yourself.  Maybe Macc made suggestions CJ did not follow--took Bowles' advice instead-- and Macc's warnings  proved to be accurate?  Otherwise, why did he keep him?

Sadly, it could be simply that chris Johnson didn’t want to start all over, and hire outside consultants again and fill gm and hc positions at the same time.  It was far easier to keep mccagnan and heimdinger and look for a new head coach when they have a legit qb prospect to market as well as the 3rd pick and cap space.  ‘At the end of the day’ i think it was the far easier thing to do.  And maybe mccagnan was able to convince cj that he’s improved as a gm, that his 2018 draft was clearly his best, that his sign/trade of bridgewater was also great for the team, that guys like derrick jones and Burnett can and will be developed by more competent coaching staffs, and that the team can get to 8-8 quicker than outsiders realize.

38 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly, makes no sense 

when fans don't like someone they will not give them credit.  Remember how bad Terry Bradway was? how everything was his fault?  he was with us in some capacity from 2001-2014.  w/ him as GM we won a div title and had 3 playoff apps in 5 years, overall we made 6 PO apps with him and had only 5 losing seasons w/ him.  In the 4 years he's been gone we have had 3 losing seasons already but all our problems were Terry's fault even when he wasn't GM unless of course it was Tannenbaum's fault who received no credit for the good moves he made but he was responsible for Vernon Gholston or how Parcells gets all the credit for winning w/ players from previous regimes(he does deserve credit) but when Herm took "his" team and led them to the playoffs for the first time in 3 years in his first yr as coach it was only b/c of "BPs player". 

It never makes sense but that's how it goes.

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Plan A was signing Cousins. Another reason to fire Mac.

Plan A was to find a franchise QB, he was desperate to do so and he left no stone unturned whether taking  risk in drafting Hack or going after a rare quality starter that was available in his prime.  Obviously we are glad we didn't get him but if we did we keep those extra 2nd rounders, we spend a top 10 pick elsewhere and are a much better team in 2018.  when he didn't get him(we were a longshot anyway) he made the move to move up to get one of the top QBs in the draft.  they were getting either Mayfield or Darnold- 2 guys who look like they will be franchise QBs.  How long have we waited for a guy like Sam but still the Gm cannot get any credit for that even though he made the brilliant trade to get rid of Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd rounder(a player no one wanted to trade for b/c of his issues and impending FA) and used that pick as part of a package to move up to ensure he'd get the Jets a great QB prospect.  I guess Jet fans would have been happier if we kept our 40 yr old QB and drafted a RB?

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Plan A was to find a franchise QB, he was desperate to do so and he left no stone unturned whether taking  risk in drafting Hack or going after a rare quality starter that was available in his prime.  Obviously we are glad we didn't get him but if we did we keep those extra 2nd rounders, we spend a top 10 pick elsewhere and are a much better team in 2018.  when he didn't get him(we were a longshot anyway) he made the move to move up to get one of the top QBs in the draft.  they were getting either Mayfield or Darnold- 2 guys who look like they will be franchise QBs.  How long have we waited for a guy like Sam but still the Gm cannot get any credit for that even though he made the brilliant trade to get rid of Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd rounder(a player no one wanted to trade for b/c of his issues and impending FA) and used that pick as part of a package to move up to ensure he'd get the Jets a great QB prospect.  I guess Jet fans would have been happier if we kept our 40 yr old QB and drafted a RB?

There was no guarantee of that. Someone could have jumped the Jets at 2 or the Giants could have taken Sam. All Macc did was guarantee one of the top 4 QBs. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Actually, when the fans like a move they will say it's in spite of him but when something goes wrong it is all his fault.

I think it’s becsyse Maccagnan is a career scout whose resume reveals no other experience or expertise with anything other than driving around scouting players for the Texans. Given that the scouting of college talent here has been an abomination, it’s pretty safe to say that Maccagnan is an unqualified disaster at his part of the job, so any of the relative “good” things that happen are are the result of someone else’s intervention, and the only people in position to intervene are Chris Johnson, Brian Heimerdinger, and (formerly, presumably) Todd Bowles. Since we also know that Chris Johnson doesn’t know anything, and even if we attribute all the defensive backs to Todd’s interference, we’re still left with one guy who hasn’t been revealed as a complete idiot: Heimerdinger. 

And that concludes this week’s episode of Columbo.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s becsyse Maccagnan is a career scout whose resume reveals no other experience or expertise with anything other than driving around scouting players for the Texans. Given that the scouting of college talent here has been an abomination, it’s pretty safe to say that Maccagnan is an unqualified disaster at his part of the job, so any of the relative “good” things that happen are are the result of someone else’s intervention, and the only people in position to intervene are Chris Johnson, Brian Heimerdinger, and (formerly, presumably) Todd Bowles. Since we also know that Chris Johnson doesn’t know anything, and even if we attribute all the defensive backs to Todd’s interference, we’re still left with one guy who hasn’t been revealed as a complete idiot: Heimerdinger. 

And that concludes this week’s episode of Columbo.

Unfortunately I think this nicely sums up the current situation. Ugh......

Archived