Would you approve of a Jim Caldwell hiring?

freestater

Jim Caldwell, HC?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, give me some of that!
    • No friggin way

32 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Nice try. How many minority force fed guys got canned this weekend? He was handed a super bowl team and was completely lost. Earn the job.

And you know that these coaches were minority force fed guys because...?

14-2 and 10-6 is completely lost? If that is "completely lost", sign me up. 

Let's not forget that Peyton Manning was a choke artist. His Super Bowl victory was against future hall of fame QB, Rex Grossman. He spit the bit against the Seahawks. Was that Caldwell's fault too?

I'd stop if I were you. You already look like a fool.

24 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Is this true?

If you’re talking about Caldwell I can’t say I’m surprised. I don’t know the guys body of work that well but my take was that he is a conservative traditional style of coach which means not taking chances. This has changed over the past few years mostly because of Belichick often going for it on 4th down. And now many coaches are copying him because it’s smart and makes sense in some situations. So I would assume that Caldwell if it’s the norm in 2019 would follow suit and go for it in those situations. Until BB started doing it I never could understand the rationale of punting inside the 40. 

NFL teams and NFL leadership will likely be doubly diligent with the Rooney rule this year. Trotter on NFLN was not so subtly saying that he thought that with 5 of the 8 fired head coaches being meen of color and that it was racially motivated, on the owners and they had to "learn to be comfortable with someone on the opposite of the table that does not look like you and comes from a different culture" Teams should hire the best candidate black or white, as the Jets have tried to do, but if you feel the best candidate is white better hire him fast, because if the first 4 or 5 HC hires are white the NFL will force teams to hire a coach of color.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Your true issue is now clear.  You see him as a hire due to race.  Wow, really lame

Yeah it's funny how some guys have a problem with that ..but yet they love a sport that's 75% Black American, lol its like Spike Lee's movie Do the Right Thing lol

I've been saying it for the last few days. I would have no problem if the Jets hired him. He checks the boxes i'm looking for in their next head coach. He comes from the offensive side of the ball and has prior head coaching experience.

He's also coached a team in the Super Bowl, and won 2 Super Bowls as an offensive coordinator/assistant with two different organizations. He left Indy because they were turning the page on the Peyton era and eventually ended up in Detroit (after winning a SB with the Ravens as their OC) and spent 4 years with a historically bad franchise, he took them to the playoffs twice and got fired after back to back 9-7 seasons. Patricia took over this year and the team got worse, not better.

Caldwell has plenty of flaws which have been pointed out to me by members on this board. Plenty of them are fair points. But when you go after a recycled HC whose been fired before you're usually hoping that he's learned from some of his past mistakes. I think Caldwell would be a solid hire. The big name guys like Jim Harbaugh, and Mike McCarthy are probably not coming here since Macc is staying on. They'd want to bring in their own GM. Caldwell doesn't have that type of clout. 

Living out of market the past 2 seasons I have not had jets on local. This year the jets should be decent and I plan on getting nfl ticket. If we hire Caldwell I will not get nfl ticket. I will not watch games. I will continue being a passive fan. (As passive as possible for me)

Manning was his boss in Indy ...he literally used to wave the punter off the field when Caldwell sent him out , as awful as Caldwell is he would probably be a good short term fit in Green Bay ..for the same reasons he was a good fit in Indy at the time . 

Do I want the a coach with 2 Super Bowl rings as an OC? Do I want a coach that had 3 winning seasons out of 4 including the season when Megatron randomly retired?

Caldwell is a good candidate and Darnold would improve under him. I understand that he’s black and that reminds people of Bowles but his teams tend to be organized contenders.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NFL teams and NFL leadership will likely be doubly diligent with the Rooney rule this year. Trotter on NFLN was not so subtly saying that he thought that with 5 of the 8 fired head coaches being meen of color and that it was racially motivated, on the owners and they had to "learn to be comfortable with someone on the opposite of the table that does not look like you and comes from a different culture" Teams should hire the best candidate black or white, as the Jets have tried to do, but if you feel the best candidate is white better hire him fast, because if the first 4 or 5 HC hires are white the NFL will force teams to hire a coach of color.

When the NFL hires their first black commissioner, then they can tell teams who to hire as their coach.

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

When the NFL hires their first black commissioner, then they can tell teams who to hire as their coach.

I see your point, but I really think that will almost be proscriptive in hiring a black head coach with those last teams if all the early hires are white. Jets need to strike early. Hire Monken or Waldron and move on. 

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I see your point, but I really think that will almost be proscriptive in hiring a black head coach with those last teams if all the early hires are white. Jets need to strike early. Hire Monken or Waldron and move on. 

I agree with yo., There probably will be very strong persuasion to do exactly what you said. The old "do as I say, not as I do" BS.

You know, all Bowles really had to do was keep Morton and fire Kacy.  That is all he had to do.  We need a HC who is not afraid of his assistants and is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Jim Caldwell is 63 years old.  I am betting he is set in his ways.  If we are going for an old coach who will certainly relate to our young players then get Shanahan.   Our new coach needs to be under 50 IMO.

Archived