Ken Whisenhunt

Copernicus

Maybe someone can help me explain why Ken Whisenhunt is not a seriously discussed name at this point.

- Offensive minded HC with SB experience.

- Had success in Arizona of all places.

- Former Jets TE

- Resurrected Philip Rivers and has the Charger's offense running on all cylinders just about every week. 

- In six seasons with the Cardinals, Whisenhunt compiled a record of 45-51, including 4-2 in the playoffs.

- Guided the Cardinals to the Super Bowl following the 2008 season, when they lost 27-23 to the Pittsburgh Steelers

- Again, Super Bowl Experience! 

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Maybe someone can help me explain why Ken Whisenhunt is not a seriously discussed name at this point.

Offensive minded HC with SB experience.

Had success in Arizona of all places.

Former Jets TE

Resurrected Philip Rivers and has the Chargers offense running on all cylinders just about every week. 

In six seasons with the Cardinals, Whisenhunt compiled a record of 45-51, including 4-2 in the playoffs.

Guided the Cardinals to the Super Bowl following the 2008 season, when they lost 27-23 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

have you seen how awful he was with the Titans?

the guy need a HOF  QB and HOF WR to be good 

When you put it that way, shoot sign me up.

There are so many coaches out there. Unless a coach gets media attention, it’s hard for them to get fan backing. 

His name hasn’t been mentioned much by the media. But like you pointed out, he could be a solid choice.

No you are mistaken the running backs coach from the Chiefs who has that one year internship as "offensive coordinator" but never called plays is much more qualified. The DB coach from Dallas will also be much better at developing Darnold. Don't you worry Chris Johnson's got this!

13 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Maybe someone can help me explain why Ken Whisenhunt is not a seriously discussed name at this point.

- Former Jets TE

- Resurrected Philip Rivers and has the Charger's offense running on all cylinders just about every week. 

- In six seasons with the Cardinals, Whisenhunt compiled a record of 45-51, including 4-2 in the playoffs.

- Guided the Cardinals to the Super Bowl following the 2008 season, when they lost 27-23 to the Pittsburgh Steelers

The homie from Arizona, jetstream, said he is a bad hang.

Just now, Jetsbb said:

No you are mistaken the running backs coach from the Chiefs who has that one year internship as "offensive coordinator" but never called plays is much more qualified. The DB coach from Dallas will also be much better at developing Darnold. Don't you worry Chris Johnson's got this!

I'm a little perplexed how Ken Whisenhunt is not even mentioned. First and foremost he has SUPER BOWL EXPERIENCE. He even checks the box of former Jets player that we have been criticized before about.

SUPER BOWL EXPERIENCE ????

Not comprehending this at all 

If the Jets hire Whisenhunt they would have succeeded in finally getting me to put the NFL down altogether. 

He was a complete trainwreck in Tennessee...his 2nd HC stint after some ups and downs in AZ......NFL is usually a 2 strike and your out league when it comes to HC jobs. 

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If the Jets hire Whisenhunt they would have succeeded in finally getting me to put the NFL down altogether. 

He was a complete trainwreck in Tennessee...his 2nd HC stint after some ups and downs in AZ......NFL is usually a 2 strike and your out league when it comes to HC jobs. 

What made him a complete train wreck? I get the team record was bad but did he show total incompetence? I definitely don't know enough about what the situation was. 

Why is his path to the Super Bowl in AZ being minimized? 

50 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

- Former Jets TE

- Again, Super Bowl Experience! 

because he BLOWS as a HC... some guys are just meant to stay as coordinators... see Norv Turner & Wade Phillips.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Dan Quinn has SUPER BOWL EXPERIENCE..

I don't want him either.

I can't see why not. He got there. He has a stud QB and Wr and has failed dreadfully this season but was able to get to a SB in the recent past, something we haven't been able to do in almost 50 years 

7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

because he BLOWS as a HC... some guys are just meant to stay as coordinators... see Norv Turner & Wade Phillips.

Ok, I'm honestly a little surprised at the negative responses towards the idea of Ken Whisenhunt as a candidate based on his recent successes with Chargers successes on offense, managing a diva like Philip Rivers and past successes in AZ specifically getting to SB. 

40 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Ok, I'm honestly a little surprised at the negative responses towards the idea of Ken Whisenhunt as a candidate based on his recent successes with Chargers successes on offense, managing a diva like Philip Rivers and past successes in AZ specifically getting to SB. 

I'm not... he's Proven to be a very poor HC.

The assumption is that coaches do not get better for their experiences.  I dont buy that.  BB improved at NE.  Carroll with Southern Cal and Seattle.  There are other examples.  I like what I see from the SD offense.  And they are doing it with a rag arm, immobile (though very smart) QB.  A HC should be allowed to fail more than once---even Bowles.

7 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Because being a HC is far different than being a Coordinator. Wiz flamed out in Zona and Tenn. Seriously, both ended badly. The Jets would be stupid to think the third time is the charm.

14 minutes ago, jack48 said:

The assumption is that coaches do not get better for their experiences.  I dont buy that.  BB improved at NE.  Carroll with Southern Cal and Seattle.  There are other examples.  I like what I see from the SD offense.  And they are doing it with a rag arm, immobile (though very smart) QB.  A HC should be allowed to fail more than once---even Bowles.

Me thinks you are seriously short changing Rivers. The guy is a HOF QB.

I had to find this article regarding Wisenhunt from a few years back when he was released from the Titans.  Statements such as holding back he development of Young Qb's. This article is also relevant to the NY Jets today:  Look at all of the Coach names brought up in this article and how since then have failed or those that were recommended succeeded. Gase, Jacskson, Reich, Jim Harbaugh, etc:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/156360552/ken-whisenhunt-fired-tennessee-titans

WHISENHUNT'S GONE, SO WHAT NOW?

COMMENTS (0)

Whisenhunt Ken Whisenhunt didn't seem like a good fit to help Marcus Mariota grow as a passer. (Getty Images)

The Titans have fired head coach Ken Whisenhunt after the team was destroyed by the Texans on Sunday, 20-6, falling to 1-6 on the season. It's not a completely shocking move, considering Whisenhunt's overall record of 3-20 over two years.

The surprising part of this is that Tennessee decided to pull the trigger in the middle of Marcus Mariota's rookie season. While Mike Mularky was promoted to interim head coach, what does the change mean for the second pick in the 2015 NFL draft?

The track record for young quarterbacks who have offensive coordinator and head coach changes is fraught with failure. Alex Smith went through multiple coordinators and coaches before Jim Harbaugh straightened him out, and Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid has kept things familiar for him since. Geno Smith has struggled in New York with a new offensive coordinator for each of his three years.

And the less said of Blaine Gabbert, the better, even if San Francisco thinks he is their answer. Gabbert had his head coach (Jack Del Rio) fired 11 games into his rookie season and over his first 14 months in the NFL, saw four head coaches.

On the flip side, Ben Roethlisberger has had several different coordinators, and Matt Ryan has suffered through a few coaching and staff changes as well and both are still very good quarterbacks.

This could go a few different ways, but the Titans need to be very, very careful with the selection of their next head coach.

More than anything else, the team needs to find someone who will be willing to build around what Mariota can do, not force him into a role he is ill-suited for. We've seen how that went with Robert Griffin III and, more recently, Colin Kaepernick.

That's not to say they have to coddle Mariota, but rather reduce the exposure of his flaws while he continues to learn how to be an NFL quarterback.

There are some interesting possibilities.

Current Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman has had success with a similar (though far from identical) quarterback in Tyrod Taylor. Prior to Buffalo, he worked with Kaepernick in San Francisco and had success there as well.

Roman does an excellent job of playing to the strengths of a more mobile quarterback like Mariota and if he lacks head coaching experience, he'll still bring a lot of offensive experience to the table.

Could a guy like Frank Reich be the best choice? Reich has been a big help to Chargers head coach Mike McCoy in rebooting Philip Rivers' career with the team after it was run into the ground by the previous regime.

While Reich has zero head coaching experience and isn't a guy you immediately think of when you think "unorthodox quarterback," he has the knowledge and wisdom to help a guy like Mariota navigate the ocean of being an NFL quarterback, and he's smart enough to know not to change all of what Mariota can do.

What about Hue Jackson in Cincinnati? The two seasons with Jackson calling the plays have been the best of Andy Dalton's career and this season Jackson has Dalton looking like an MVP candidate. Jackson is another guy who doesn't scream "I can handle outside the box guys" but he has shown flexibility in dealing with offenses and his weapons and isn't the type of coach who would force Mariota to be something he isn't.

Adam Gase has done similar things with Jay Cutler that Jackson and Reich have done with their quarterbacks. If Cutler continues to be a bit up and down, that's more about the chaos around him, the removal of weapons like Brandon Marshall and the regression of the offensive line.

Gase was also the offensive coordinator for Peyton Manning in Denver and had a hand in helping make Tim Tebow look good in 2011.

While Mariota is a different quarterback, any of these four coaches have the knowledge and talent to help him improve his game.

Meanwhile, the Titans have other worries besides Mariota's development. The offensive line is a mess, the run game is nonexistent and the offense has lost its best receiver, as Kendall Wright suffered a MCL injury in the Week 8 loss to Houston.

You want to be cautious throwing a young quarterback into this offense and risk hurting him physically or mentally.

On top of it, the franchise has done a poor job communicating to the team about the firing.

Some players are less than enthused about Whisenhunt's dismissal, and that means Mariota may have to step up and rally the troops a little sooner than you'd like.

The team has to think long term when it comes to Mariota, so that they can turn the franchise around and not drive it deeper into the murk of the bottom of the AFC South.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Me thinks you are seriously short changing Rivers. The guy is a HOF QB.

I am only referring to his physical limitations.  He still has been a great QB, in spite of them.  Some of that is the system coaches design for him, though

10 hours ago, jetsons said:

I'm not... he's Proven to be a very poor HC.

I'm not necessarily pro Ken Whisenhunt at all costs. I disagree that he has proven to be a very poor HC. He has had some successes.  IMO, there have been truly a few potential HC (s) that have been mentioned as out next HC like Gaze who has done nothing, Saban who failed miserably in Miami, and unproven coordinators. Whisenhunt  managed AZ of all places to a SB. Every candidate is going to have some negatives. We are going to have to compromise no matter who is chosen. I don't see many candidates with experience and a SB appearance, especially in a place where little success has been managed over the years like Arizona

13 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I'm not necessarily pro Ken Whisenhunt at all costs. I disagree that he has proven to be a very poor HC. He has had some successes.  IMO, there have been truly a few potential HC (s) that have been mentioned as out next HC like Gaze who has done nothing, Saban who failed miserably in Miami, and unproven coordinators. Whisenhunt  managed AZ of all places to a SB. Every candidate is going to have some negatives. We are going to have to compromise no matter who is chosen. I don't see many candidates with experience and a SB appearance, especially in a place where little success has been managed over the years like Arizona

Mike Shanahan has a more recent winning season as a head coach than Ken Whisenhunt. 

Since Kurt Warner retired, Whisenhunt has a head coaching record of 21-50.

That's probably why no one mentions him as a candidate. 

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Good lord

I brought him up the other day as a joke, but people actually want him?

I’d take him as my OC everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, but no way do I want him as the head honcho.

This feeling is all well and good however then who do you want that is available? What credentials do they have that surpass Whisenhunt?  I am not opposed to going with an unproven coordinator but it doesn't seem to be the feel of many jet fans. With that said they're are not many choices that jump off the page without negatives. The overall positive I see in Whisenhunt is SB experience in a place where it has been almost impossible for any HC to succeed in Arizona, and young enough to be here for years if he is successful. Further down the list has ties to the Jets organization as a player. We are forever criticized for not hiring players from our past. 

Caldwell? Average success. Shanahan? Fearful the game has past him and little sustainability for the future. Gaze? Nothing. Harbaugh? HIGHLY doubtful to leave Michigan.

I dont see anyone (realistic candidate) with experience that has a better resume than Whisenhunt 

6 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

This feeling is all well and good however then who do you want that is available? What credentials do they have that surpass Whisenhunt?  I am not opposed to going with an unproven coordinator but it doesn't seem to be the feel of many jet fans. With that said they're are not many choices that jump off the page without negatives. The overall positive I see in Whisenhunt is SB experience in a place where it has been almost impossible for any HC to succeed in Arizona, and young enough to be here for years if he is successful. Further down the list has ties to the Jets organization as a player. We are forever criticized for not hiring players from our past. 

Caldwell? Average success. Shanahan? Fearful the game has past him and little sustainability for the future. Gaze? Nothing. Harbaugh? HIGHLY doubtful to leave Michigan.

I dont see anyone (realistic candidate) with experience that has a better resume than Whisenhunt 

I’d rather take a chance on an unknown over banking on the 3rd time being the charm for someone like Whisenhunt or Caldwell.

Even though I’ve been saying that I’m a fan of going the retread route this go-around, that really only pertains to someone like Mike Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh or Mike McCarthy.

If we can’t land one of those 3, then I’d rather roll the dice on a guy like Todd Monken.

12 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Pete Carrol is on his third team. 

Ok, I definitely underestimated Caldwell's credentials 

Caldwell: 

7 Seasons, 62-50 (.554)

2 Division Titles

1 Conference Title

4 Playoff Appearances

1 Superbowl Appearance

Has been coaching at different levels since 1977

However, IMO Whisenhunt should definitely be in the conversation 

18 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Ok, I definitely underestimated Caldwell's credentials 

Caldwell: 

7 Seasons, 62-50 (.554)

2 Division Titles

1 Conference Title

4 Playoff Appearances

1 Superbowl Appearance

Has been coaching at different levels since 1977

However, IMO Whisenhunt should definitely be in the conversation 

Ken Whisenhunt career record w/ Ari and Ten: 48-71

Ken Whisenhunt w/ all time great QB Kurt Warner: 24-18

Ken Whisenhunt w/ all other QBs: 24-53

I don't want Caldwell or Whisenhunt.  Of the retreads the only guy I'd want is McCarthy.

Archived