Bill Callahan anyone?

tfine

Callahan got knifed by Tim Brown and Jerry Rice with the Raiders because they thought he botched (and outright threw) the Super Bowl the year prior. I liked Callahan when he was here, and he’s been successful everywhere he’s been, but he also seems like a hardo who the players would despise. That said, he fielded a Redskins OL this year with third stringers and they weren’t terrible, and Tim Brown and Jerry Rice were washed up dicks when Callahan had them. I would be for this.

Despite the success of his 2002 team, the 2003 Raiders had a losing record. After his team got off to a 2–5 start, many of his players, in particular Charles Woodson, publicly criticized the coach, even suggesting that Callahan was deliberately trying to sabotage the season. According to Woodson, the Raider locker room was almost in a state of mutiny against Callahan, a claim corroborated by veteran receiver Tim Brown and others. Callahan, his supporters claim, had recognized that the team was aging and needed younger talent. To get it, he would have to cut existing salaries, an assertion that did not sit well with many of the team's veterans. It did not help that quarterback Rich Gannon was sidelined with injuries for much of the season. On Nov 30, after a 22–8 loss to the Denver Broncos, Callahan said the Raiders must have been "the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game." After a lackluster 4–12 season, Callahan was fired by Raiders owner Al Davis. Even though the Raiders had gone all the way to the Super Bowl a year earlier, Davis was not known for being patient with his coaches. Callahan was the last Raiders coach to post a winning season until 2016.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Callahan got knifed by Tim Brown and Jerry Rice with the Raiders because they thought he botched (and outright threw) the Super Bowl the year prior. I liked Callahan when he was here, and he’s been successful everywhere he’s been, but he also seems like a hardo who the players would despise. That said, he fielded a Redskins OL this year with third stringers and they weren’t terrible, and Tim Brown and Jerry Rice were washed up dicks when Callahan had them. I would be for this.

Didn’t Callahan go into the super bowl against gruden and kept grudens playbook?   So Tampa Bay knew every play the Raiders were running.   He didn’t change up a thing to include the verbiage.   Atleast that was my understanding of the hate against him

11 hours ago, tfine said:

Offensive minded coach. Was our OLINE coach during the Rex years that led the league rushing. Coached the Raiders to a Super Bowl with Rich Gannon at QB...I think it would be a good fit.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Cal would have been a good pick Post Rex before they hired Bowles. 

Think his time has passed.  He doesnt bring enough to the table, isnt anywhere near a sure thing to make up for his age and would be looked at as a horrible choice in todays game.  Would be a PR fail

1 minute ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Our O-line coach Rick Dennison is a great coach as well. He was only the coach behind the best O-Line in the NFL for the Broncos in the late 90's/2000's. with the NYJ he was handed a below average line and produced decent results. If I could hire any O-line coach Dennison and Callahan would be my first 2 picks.

I would give Munchak credibility, also

15 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Didn’t Callahan go into the super bowl against gruden and kept grudens playbook?   So Tampa Bay knew every play the Raiders were running.   He didn’t change up a thing to include the verbiage.   Atleast that was my understanding of the hate against him

Yeah he's not so smart lol

1 hour ago, Beaver said:

Yeah, the audibles and hot read calls were the same so Tampa knew what plays they were switching to.

12 hours ago, tfine said:

Offensive minded coach. Was our OLINE coach during the Rex years that led the league rushing. Coached the Raiders to a Super Bowl with Rich Gannon at QB...I think it would be a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I definitely would consider Callahan a strong candidate. 

Super Bowl experience 

HC experience 

Ties to the Jets organization 

Offensive coach with a specialization in OLINE

Archived