Rarely Used Jets Youngsters Earn High Marks in Season Finale

JetNation

IMG_5312.jpg

It’s just a tiny blip on the radar screen of a full season, but in their season-ending 38-3 loss to the New England Patriots, it appears that a pair of players who rarely saw the field in 2018 impressed not only on the stat sheet, but according to the folks at Pro Football Focus.

#Jets top 5 offensive grades from yesterday’s loss to New England (min. 15 snaps):

1. Deontay Burnett- 90.4
2. Kelvin Beachum- 69.5
3. Jordan Leggett- 69.3
4. Andre Roberts- 65.0
5. Sam Darnold- 59.8#JetUp

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) December 31, 2018

Rookie wide receiver Deontay Burnett has spent the majority of 2018 watching from the sidelines, often listed as inactive on game days.  Against the Patriots, Burnett saw significant playing time with Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa sidelined.  The undrafted rookie free agent out of USC led all Jets receivers with a season-high five receptions for 73 yards and earned a grade of 90.4 from PFF.

On the other side of the ball, there was second-year cornerback Derrick Jones who saw his first action of the season and earned PFF’s second-highest defensive grade among Jets defenders at 79.1.  Even more impressive was Jones’ PFF grade in coverage, a whopping 89.9, which would place him fifth among NFL cornerbacks in week seventeen.

#Jets top 5 defensive grades from Week 17 (min. 15 snaps):

1. Leonard Williams- 79.9
2. Derrick Jones- 79.1
3. Mike Pennel- 77.4
4. Brandon Copeland- 77.0
5. Steve McLendon- 74.8

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) December 31, 2018

Reading too much in to a single performance is never a good idea, but perhaps what would have been a good idea would have been to play both players a bit more down the stretch as a lost season wound down with few receivers under contract for 2019, and Morris Claiborne’s deal expiring after this season.

The post Rarely Used Jets Youngsters Earn High Marks in Season Finale appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ieRVa8-Yji8

Click here to read the full story...

If Burnett and Jones can come back next year and be contributors, not stars or even starters, but just even contributors on a weekly basis, that would be great. 

You could sort of see Leggett getting better as the season went on - the talent and potential that people talked about gradually became apparent. Herndon/Leggett could be a strong TE tandem next year

6 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Burnett and Jones can come back next year and be contributors, not stars or even starters, but just even contributors on a weekly basis, that would be great. 

You could sort of see Leggett getting better as the season went on - the talent and potential that people talked about gradually became apparent. Herndon/Leggett could be a strong TE tandem next year

A competent coaching staff would be working these guys into the rotation and letting them develop throughout the season. Jones and Robinson were stand-outs at training camp but as soon as the games Start....nowhere to be seen.

Good coaches develop players like this

Burnett showed signs in his first game that he could play. 

Funny those were the 2 guys I wanted to see more of all season. Why can't Burnett be our slot WR? His MO is he's quick not necessarily a burner but runs great routes. 

Bones Jones should have played more. Bowles had no clue how to develop players. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Funny those were the 2 guys I wanted to see more of all season. Why can't Burnett be our slot WR? His MO is he's quick not necessarily a burner but runs great routes. 

Bones Jones should have played more. Bowles had no clue how to develop players. 

He’s freaking 21 and won’t be 22 until October plus has great chemistry with Sam from college. Very underrated move and these last 2 weeks show the potential. 

Translation: Some young dudes do ok in meaningless game. 

It's like the NBA when some scrub goes off in the last 3 or 4 games of the season and some fans think the team "has a future piece"

This is the NFL equivalent of when Mardy Collins went for 25 points or some such thing last game of the season for the Knicks. 

20 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

It's like the NBA when some scrub goes off in the last 3 or 4 games of the season and some fans think the team "has a future piece"

This is the NFL equivalent of when Mardy Collins went for 25 points or some such thing last game of the season for the Knicks. 

No its not.

Football doesnt have meaningless freebies.  Guys are hitting you and taking your head off.  Never mind it wasnt a meaningless game, the Pats were going all out, needed the win.  Showing quickness, showing the ability to run good routes, displaying good hands and making plays wasnt pointless because you think the game was meaningless.  Games arent meaningless to players trying to advance their careers

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No its not.

Football doesnt have meaningless freebies.  Guys are hitting you and taking your head off.  Never mind it wasnt a meaningless game, the Pats were going all out, needed the win.  Showing quickness, showing the ability to run good routes, displaying good hands and making plays wasnt pointless because you think the game was meaningless.  Games arent meaningless to players trying to advance their careers

Exactly, and the point is we should be seeing these guys in the rotation before the so-called meaningless last game of the season so that we can actually have a better on idea on whether they can offer something going forward. Now we just have a glimpse and as many questions as answers. Same goes for Parry Nickerson. Bowles was just too wedded to his tried, trusted and often failed vets

20 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

That's BS with Burnett. Titans fans loved what they saw in pre-season, and he passed the eye test last Sunday. He made CONTESTED catches, with quick hands and great ball control by pulling in those passes quickly, protected the ball & got hit. None of his catches Sunday were pedestrian. When we get another WR & a Stud RB in here he'll be open 24/7 in the slot with a good Head Coach that gets us out of the 50s like Monken or Biennamy. 

Burnett proved to me we don't have to pay money to a guy like Adam Humphries. Burnett will be just as good, for way less money, which should go to edge rushers, and Oline! 

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No its not.

I'm gonna say it sort of splits the difference. Even when NBA players show out at the end of the year, they are still competing against some pretty good players. I'll say it's an indicator they might be good, and taken with other games/scouting reports COULD be hopeful - and this case probably is, but I've found it's helpful to take these one off, last game things with a grain of salt. 

At least he got a chance to play and prove a little. Jets should have tried that sooner. 

53 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Burnett was supposed to be a mid to late round pick. Jets got a steal as a udfa and are the best suited to use him (usc connection).

26 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly, and the point is we should be seeing these guys in the rotation before the so-called meaningless last game of the season so that we can actually have a better on idea on whether they can offer something going forward. Now we just have a glimpse and as many questions as answers. Same goes for Parry Nickerson. Bowles was just too wedded to his tried, trusted and often failed vets

You covered my point but I was responding to the last post and missed it. 

Jets were going nowhere, should have given Burnett and some others some more snaps/games, to have a larger sample size. Good that he had a good game. Smart coach/team would have ensured he got another 2 or 3 games to show something. 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I was loving Jones yesterday fwiw.

i noticed Dom get on him in the game thread for run support but you can see big time skills. Which we saw in the preseason. Which I don’t understand why he didn’t play at all this year

The coverage drop off when he was out was noticeable. I think he played both ways in college, freak athlete 

4 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Burnett was supposed to be a mid to late round pick. Jets got a steal as a udfa and are the best suited to use him (usc connection).

They sure didn't treat him like they got a steal, all year. 

Another instance of the ineptitude of the coaching staff and FO. 

Is Kearse even under contract for next  year?

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

I'm gonna say it sort of splits the difference. Even when NBA players show out at the end of the year, they are still competing against some pretty good players. I'll say it's an indicator they might be good, and taken with other games/scouting reports COULD be hopeful - and this case probably is, but I've found it's helpful to take these one off, last game things with a grain of salt. 

At least he got a chance to play and prove a little. Jets should have tried that sooner. 

I get that but for some teams the end of the year is when you play the end of the bench to see how theyve developed.  So yes, its competitive, especially since the talent is relative given both benches are going against each other.  But the Pats game wasnt like that.  Brady, Gronk etc were all playing.  For a bye, for positioning and some for bonus money.  To me we shouldnt downplay the competitiveness of that game, the Pats werent playing a meaningless game

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The problem with Burnett is he's the slowest 5'7 170lb player in the league.  

He makes circus catches because he creates no separation and Sam has to throw him open.

Not really. He had a 4.7 but had a hamstring and would have run in the 4.5 range which is more than fine for a slot guy. Plus he is a great route runner which is more important.

Burnett and Jones are just little microcosms of why Bowles needed to go. He did not like playing young players, especially young players that were lower round pics, and would stubbornly stick with veterans all the time.

Hopefully that nonsense stops with the new coach.

Plus he is 6'0" tall and up to around 186 pounds, He is 21 and younger than Sam so he will also fill out some more.

He could be one of our best players, especially with his college QB in Darnold.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Not really. He had a 4.7 but had a hamstring and would have run in the 4.5 range which is more than fine for a slot guy. Plus he is a great route runner which is more important.

Burnett and Jones are just little microcosms of why Bowles needed to go. He did not like playing young players, especially young players that were lower round pics, and would stubbornly stick with veterans all the time.

Plus he is 6'0" tall and up to around 186 pounds, He is 21 and younger than Sam so he will also fill out some more.

Except he was never open.  Every catch he makes is heavily contested and difficult.  Maybe it was the scheme, but I wasn't impressed with him.

42 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

You covered my point but I was responding to the last post and missed it. 

Jets were going nowhere, should have given Burnett and some others some more snaps/games, to have a larger sample size. Good that he had a good game. Smart coach/team would have ensured he got another 2 or 3 games to show something. 

I don’t disagree, i’d argue that after they showed up so well in TC and pre-season they should’ve been getting reps all season not just when it’s all over and even then Bowles barely changed his line-up unless forced into it. Bottom line the Pats game was yet another illustration that talent or no talent we were a truly abysmally coached team under Bowles

I can't believe a team like the Jets, going nowhere, with a losing record, didn't want more looks at a WR with clear chemistry, and a history with, their future franchise QB. 

Speaks volumes on either the incompetence or disconnect, or both, between and among the FO and the coaching staff. 

Good teams feel like they have a system, goals, plans.  Then there's the Jets.  

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Except he was never open.  Every catch he makes is heavily contested and difficult.  Maybe it was the scheme, but I wasn't impressed with him.

Well I am not sure what the hell you were watching then, because he was very impressive just from the eye test and the PFF grade which includes grades on separation and route running was among the highest in the NFL,

37 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He makes circus catches because he creates no separation and Sam has to throw him open.

The problem with your post is he’s 6’ 186lb ....and it doesn’t get any better from there

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Good post. Nobody is anointing him as the second coming but he showed he has the heart and desire and the talent to be a contributor in this league. Other teams take players like this and make them into the likes of Thielen, Humphries, Hogan etc

40 minutes ago, section314 said:

Burnett gets open and pretty much catches everything thrown to him. I can see why the previous coaching staff had no use for him.

It’s really perplexing how after cutting Pryor they promote Burnett to the active roster and never use him on game day.  They go out and sign Mathews and he never sees the field.   It’s not like this team was so deep at WR that these guys were buried on the depth chart.  This is where a GM should have had the ability to walk into Bowles office and say “play the kid”.  

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Bowles played loads of young players out the gate, Darnold, Adams, Lee, Jenkins, Maye, Mauldin, etc.

His stubbornness was more about sticking with guys that he felt had earned their starting jobs than whether or not they were young. He never liked to bench his chosen starters that were underperforming for unproven guys to see what they have. His mindset was that the players lower on the depth chart needed to prove they were better in practice and such before that can happen. It rarely happened, because practice is a lousy place to prove yourself that way.

So he still sucked, but not in the way most would think.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s really perplexing how after cutting Pryor they promote Burnett to the active roster and never use him on game day.  They go out and sign Mathews and he never sees the field.   It’s not like this team was so deep at WR that these guys were buried on the depth chart.  This is where a GM should have had the ability to walk into Bowles office and say “play the kid”.  

Absolutely. If nothing else, the Jets are consistent.?

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

If a young guys comes in and does well even in meaningless games if gives you hope for development.  Many 'young guys' do terrible.  And in the end the point is in a lost season when you are out it is better to give guys a shot in a real game which is simply not the same as practice.

Bowles was a terrible HC who should have been fired last year.  The Johnsons have no one to blame but themselves for giving him and Mac extensions.  

He was terrible at everything a HC is supposed to do.  Good riddance. 

At least Mac tried to be a GM.  He was bad too.  He gets another short-term shot. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

WUT?

Archived