Steelers East? Jets need to Sign Bell, Trade for Brown

Doggin94it

we all know that Bell is the best available offensive free agent. But Antonio Brown might be shooting his way out of Pittsburgh as well. He was benched in week 17 - in a game the Steelers had to win to have any shot at the playoffs - for getting into a fight with Roethlisberger a week after skipping a mandatory meeting that he just felt like not going to.  https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/antonio-brown-dispute-steelers-news-nfl/stories/201812310108

The Steelers seem like they are shifting their offense to focus on Juju and have Roethlisberger, Pouncey, Hayden, and Dupree all heading into the last year of their contract in 2019. If it took this year's third round pick and next year's second round pick to get brown from the Steelers, do you make that deal? What if it cost more? What's the most you would pay?

because adding Bell and brown to this offense immediately makes the Jets a Superbowl worthy offensive team

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

we all know that Bell is the best available offensive free agent. But Antonio Brown might be shooting his way out of Pittsburgh as well. He was benched in week 17 - in a game the Steelers had to win to have any shot at the playoffs - for getting into a fight with Roethlisberger a week after skipping a mandatory meeting that he just felt like not going to.  https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/antonio-brown-dispute-steelers-news-nfl/stories/201812310108

The Steelers seem like they are shifting their offense to focus on Juju and have Roethlisberger, Pouncey, Hayden, and Dupree all heading into the last year of their contract in 2019. If it took this year's third round pick and next year's second round pick to get brown from the Steelers, do you make that deal? What if it cost more? What's the most you would pay?

because adding Bell and brown to this offense immediately makes the Jets a Superbowl worthy offensive team

Didn't we trade next yrs 2nd rounder for Sam?

Plus if the Steelers let Bell sit out for a year and not trade him what makes you think they would not do something similar with Brown? Steelers look like they don't play when it comes to down to it.

You know, I am not totally against this (trading for Brown part) if you can:

1. Talk to Brown and understand fully what the issues were

2. Work out a sensible trade  (Jets 2020 1 for Brown and Steeler #3)???

3. Ensure the new coach is a strong locker room advocate and doe not let that room just police itself.

Number of things to consider here:

-Steelers locker room appears to have been a mess all year. Not sure this is a Tomlin thing, residue of the Bell hold out, but it was toxic all year.

-Roethlesberger is a jerk.I am not sure how many can get a long with that guy.

-If you watched the Steelers this week, you saw how much Brown not being there affected Smith-Schuster and all the rest of the Steelers production. It was that noticeable. He is that much a difference maker.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You know, I am not totally against this (trading for Brown part) if you can:

1. Talk to Brown and understand fully what the issues were

2. Work out a sensible trade  (Jets 2020 1 for Brown and Steeler #3)???

3. Ensure the new coach is a strong locker room advocate and doe not let that room just police itself.

Number of things to consider here:

-Steelers locker room appears to have been a mess all year. Not sure this is a Tomlin thing, residue of the Bell hold out, but it was toxic all year.

-Roethlesberger is a jerk.I am not sure how many can get a long with that guy.

-If you watched the Steelers this week, you saw how much Brown not being there affected Smith-Schuster and all the rest of the Steelers production. It was that noticeable. He is that much a difference maker.

I think if the Jets were to talk to Brown, he would say don’t trade for me.  Brown doesn’t want to play out the rest of his career here.  

Kind of off topic but there are a few teams that are closer to the cap limit and ready to move on from good players because of cost. They almost always want some trade value for these players and I think you can find some decent trades with 3rd rounders or later.

We really should try to trade down in general and accumulate more of these later picks to be used specifically for trades. We need to take advantage of bad fits on other teams or players that have worn out their welcome. The team would love to get basic value and unload their problem player to send a message. Use the team’s emotions against them. 

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I think if the Jets were to talk to Brown, he would say don’t trade for me.  Brown doesn’t want to play out the rest of his career here.  

Well then, that is obviously a deal breaker. That is why you talk to him. Not sure why you say that though, unless you know more of the situation.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Well then, that is obviously a deal breaker. That is why you talk to him. Not sure why you say that though, unless you know more of the situation.

He’s not happy playing with a Hall of Fame QB and a winning team, why would he want to come here to finish his career?   Would you come here if you were him?   I have to imagine he would want a better situation than the Jets to play out his remaining years.  

16 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Didn't we trade next yrs 2nd rounder for Sam?

Plus if the Steelers let Bell sit out for a year and not trade him what makes you think they would not do something similar with Brown? Steelers look like they don't play when it comes to down to it.

“Next year’s 2nd rounder” is now, 2019

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s not happy playing with a Hall of Fame QB and a winning team, why would he want to come here to finish his career?   Would you come here if you were him?   I have to imagine he would want a better situation than the Jets to play out his remaining years.  

As I said, Roethlesberger is a true jackass.

Brown is a "city" kid from Miami that seems to like the limelight. NY offers that at a level that may sate his appetite for the big stage.

Just a guess on my part, I don't know the guy.

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Meh, you’re probably simplifying a messy personal situation there. Weird sh*t has been brewing there for a while, not sure it’s fair to place it all on one guy 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

No thanks. Brown is starting to get up their in age. He's still an excellent player but he gets very vocal when he's not getting the ball. Why put Sam in that situation? If we are going to trade for a QR, I'd much rather they go after a guy like AJ Green. He'd be a better fit IMO.

+1 for rathering Green at same price. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As I said, Roethlesberger is a true jackass.

Brown is a "city" kid from Miami that seems to like the limelight. NY offers that at a level that may sate his appetite for the big stage.

Just a guess on my part, I don't know the guy.

The first game Antonio Brown doesn't get the ball he's going to start whining. Big Ben can handle that because he's obviously much more developed than Darnold and has good chemistry with Brown, so he gets him the ball almost every week. Putting a young QB in that situation is a risk IMO. Brown is a much more talented version of Santonio Holmes IMO. We should stay away.

52 minutes ago, tfine said:

Yes because Santonio Holmes worked out so well here

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

As if Holmes is in the same stratosphere as AB. Adding Brown and Bell to the Jets roster would be an A+++ off season and Fucillo HUUUUUUUGAH for Darnolds development.

I'm convinced there's a faction of Jets fans that don't want the team to be good. 

I'd rather see them sign Bell and trade for Fournette and run nothing but shotgun Split Backs with Bell and Fournette, Enunwa, Anderson and Herndon.

If we are getting crazy, get crazy.

(For the record, I know it's not happening, but I would love to see something like this if you had a back like Bell who is such a threat catching the ball.  The potential matchup issues for an offense like that would be huge. 

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The first game Antonio Brown doesn't get the ball he's going to start whining. Big Ben can handle that because he's obviously much more developed than Darnold and has good chemistry with Brown, so he gets him the ball almost every week. Putting a young QB in that situation is a risk IMO. Brown is a much more talented version of Santonio Holmes IMO. We should stay away.

I want a WR that wants the ball. Keyshawn Johnson was that player and had a passion. I don't know what was going on in the Steeler locker room. Many big name WR's want the ball. It is just a fact of life. i would do my due diligence to see what the issues with Brown may be, and try to get a slight discount on talent if it is available.

The Jets need a big play WR.Do the due diligence. That is all

Bell? Absolutely.
Brown? Ehhhh...I love him as a player but yikes... I don’t want him starting sh*t inside this locker room. Again, damn, would it be nice to have a talent like Brown but I can see how this is going to fall out.

If we got rid of Pryor after a 5 catch 2 td game for supposedly being a dirk. Why would we trade for such a malcontent??

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ben is the biggest prima donna in that locker room. I don't think it's a simple prima donna WR story with Pit. 

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

As if Holmes is in the same stratosphere as AB. Adding Brown and Bell to the Jets roster would be an A+++ off season and Fucillo HUUUUUUUGAH for Darnolds development.

I'm convinced there's a faction of Jets fans that don't want the team to be good. 

Why the hell do we want a guy who is going to be bitching at Darnold every time he doesn’t get 12 targets a game?

A guy who has been a proven malcontent with a storied and highly respected organization like the Steelers and a HOF QB like Big Ben, but somehow people expect him to clean that sh*t up when playing for an historic laughing stock like the Jets with a 21 year old QB?

I don’t care how talented he is. Go put out feelers for guys like A.J. Green and Mike Evans.

Brown can suck my browneye.

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Ben is the biggest prima donna in that locker room. I don't think it's a simple prima donna WR story with Pit. 

My point wasn’t really about the drama with Ben, it was that, on the field Ben is a hall of fame QB.   He’s playing on a  very talented team that wins ball games.   My question is why he would want to play for a team with a 2nd year QB and coming off a 4 win season and an entirely new staff.   You would think IF the Steelers wanted to trade him, there would be better spots for him to go.  While he doesn’t have a “no trade clause” per say, he can voice his displeasure to potential trading partners if he doesn’t want to go there.   

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If we got rid of Pryor after a 5 catch 2 td game for supposedly being a dirk. Why would we trade for such a malcontent??

Exactly.

I honestly think Pryor crying to the media outlets about his targets and how he was used in the offense(even if it has a ton of merit given how much WR’s hate Bates) it probably came in a larger volume behind the scenes as well. 

You don’t want a guy harping on your rookie QB to throw him the ball whenever he gets the chance. Darnold needed to make the best decision on each pass and with Pyror crying to coaches.  Sam or any rookie QB, could of fell victim to trying to meet those desires and force feeding the guy resulting in interceptions or bad plays.

Now AB is probably a much harder player to cut for antics as such but it’s still not a burden you want to put on an already fragile locker room.

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why the hell do we want a guy who is going to be bitching at Darnold every time he doesn’t get 12 targets a game?

A guy who has been a proven malcontent with a storied and highly respected organization like the Steelers and a HOF QB like Big Ben, but somehow people expect him to clean that sh*t up when playing for an historic laughing stock like the Jets with a 21 year old QB?

I don’t care how talented he is. Go put out feelers for guys like A.J. Green and Mike Evans.

Brown can suck my browneye.

Antonio Brown should complain about not being targeted if the offense is struggling because he's one of if not the best WR's in the game and can help the team win. He's good for 1200+ yards, 100+ receptions & 10+ TD's a year, easy. He's better than AJ Green & Mike Evans. 

He threw the ball in Rapelisbergers general direction and now he's a POS? wth

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I want a WR that wants the ball. Keyshawn Johnson was that player and had a passion. I don't know what was going on in the Steeler locker room. Many big name WR's want the ball. It is just a fact of life. i would do my due diligence to see what the issues with Brown may be, and try to get a slight discount on talent if it is available.

The Jets need a big play WR.Do the due diligence. That is all

Fair enough. I'd much rather the Jets go after a guy like AJ Green who doesn't have the same type of attitude problems like Antonio Brown does. He'd come much cheaper trade wise, has 1 year left on his contract, and at 6'5 he's the big, strong possession receiver this team needs.

Archived