Kliff Kingsbury to interview with Jets

Jetsbb

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I don't think this is anything close to the same situation. Promotions are promotions. This would be a promotion for him.

works for me if it works for the Jets, I just know the USC fans and administration seemed fairly happy about the hire in December - as you point out this is a promotion

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Excellent points!!!  Jet fans need to grow up for once, you've been crying for an
"offensive coach" and now when they're being interviewed you STILL cry.  If 
Kingsbury blows the interview away pull the trigger, then put veteran "gray 
head" coaches around him.  Jim Caldwell as an offensive assistant and someone like
Gregg Williams or Chuck Pagano as DC would give him the necessary advice/experience

I think the Jets are gonna be blown away by the interview. I hope that’s enough to sign him. He has a lot of charisma, very personable, big x’s and o’s with a lot of passion.

Interesting enough, he coached Davis Webb, Mayfield who we originally traded up for, Keenum was in Houston when Mac was there. I’m sure all of these guys have spoke about Kliff in high regard, especially in relation to QB coaching.

I’m telling you, this is the guy. You all want Lincoln Riley? This guy is Lincoln Riley without the monster OU recruiting machine.

Our 2 best defensive players, 2 offensive players have already thrown support. They have done that for no other canidate.

This guy is going to be a big time head coach in the league. Get him now! We passed on Harbaugh because of the whole “year early” crap.

Don’t make the same mistake.

OC for Manziel when he won his Heisman.

Helped developed Mayfield and Mahomes as a HC.

Ran a record breaking offense in Houston and basically carried Kevin Sumlin to a job in the SEC.  His offense was never the same after losing Kliff.

Not sure if he's the guy, how can anyone be?  But this is exactly how the Jets should be thinking.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ran a record breaking offense in Houston and basically carried Kevin Sumlin to a job in the SEC.  His offense was never the same after losing Kliff.

Not sure if he's the guy, how can anyone be?  But this is exactly how the Jets should be thinking.

I would love to sit in that interview with Kingsbury so I could ask him what his offense would look like in today’s NFL.  What adaptations he is going to make from what he ran in college to what he believes would be successful in the NFL.  I just can’t imagine him running that same offense from Texas Tech in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I would love to sit in that interview with Kingsbury so I could ask him what his offense would look like in today’s NFL.  What adaptations he is going to make from what he ran in college to what he believes would be successful in the NFL.  I just can’t imagine him running that same offense from Texas Tech in the NFL.  

I'm sure that he'd make adjustments but that offense did dominate the SEC for a few years.  He made Manziel a 1st round pick, had A&M as a top 5 offense ever year he was there.  It's not like it only worked in the Big 12 and Conference USA.  It's proven to have some legs.  If those legs could work in the NFL is yet to be seen but I love the fact that in the least, we're entertaining it.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I'm sure that he'd make adjustments but that offense did dominate the SEC for a few years.  He made Manziel a 1st round pick, had A&M as a top 5 offense ever year he was there.  It's not like it only worked in the Big 12 and Conference USA.  It's proven to have some legs.  If those legs could work in the NFL is yet to be seen but I love the fact that in the least, we're entertaining it.

Shotgun dive left, shotgun dive right, robbie go long 3rd down doesn’t seem modern to you? 

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He was in the league for a few years, so pro concepts aren’t foreign to him. I’m sure it would be a variation of the air raid.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The issue with it in the NFL is that you don’t have the huge mismatches personnel wise in the NFL like you do in college.  The entire premise of that offense is to expose those mismatches.   Those simply don’t exist in the NFL to the extent they do in college.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

The issue with it in the NFL is that you don’t have the huge mismatches personnel wise in the NFL like you do in college.  The entire premise of that offense is to expose those mismatches.   Those simply don’t exist in the NFL to the extent they do in college.   

For sure but they're still there and maybe not as easily identifiable but I wouldnt see that as a huge hurdle to overcome in the pros.  All he really needs to do is create an offense that makes it easier for Darnold to recognize those mismatches faster and I think that's relatively easy if know what you're looking at on film.

The more concerning thing for me would be who he selects as his staff.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

For sure but they're still there and maybe not as easily identifiable but I wouldnt see that as a huge hurdle to overcome in the pros.  All he really needs to do is create an offense that makes it easier for Darnold to recognize those mismatches faster and I think that's relatively easy if know what you're looking at on film.

The more concerning thing for me would be who he selects as his staff.  

True, his staff would be interesting.  I have no idea what his circle looks like, but who he hires as his defensive coordinator would have to be priority one.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True, his staff would be interesting.  I have no idea what his circle looks like, but who he hires as his defensive coordinator would have to be priority one.  

Side note....had to be pretty impressed with the Texas D last night.

Mehta: Kliff Kingsbury looks like the NFL's next brilliant offensive mind and would be a great fit with Sam Darnold

Manish Mehta
JAN 02, 2019 | 10:40 AM 

Kliff Kingsbury may be really, really, really ridiculously good looking, but he’s definitely no Zoolander.

And Jamal Adams wants him to be the next Jets head coach.

The tell-it-like-it-is Pro Bowl safety took to social media Tuesday night to give his endorsement for Gang Green’s vacancy. Adams’ decision to start following the former Texas Tech head coach and current USC offensive coordinator on Instagram didn’t go unnoticed. He later confirmed SNY’s suspicions on Twitter that Kingsbury was indeed his top choice to replace Todd Bowles.

Making mountains out of social media molehills is par for the course in this day and age, but Jets fans got into a veritable tizzy after word surfaced that Kingsbury was expected to be interviewed by the Jets and Cardinals.

Sure, Kingsbury looks like he should be gracing the cover of GQ or making acceptance speeches at the Oscars, but the dude is a brilliant offensive mind who could do wonders for Sam Darnold.

Kingsbury was the architect of explosive offenses at the University of Houston and Texas Tech. He coached some pretty good quarterbacks along the way that you might have heard of too: Case Keenum, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Davis Webb and some guy named Patrick Mahomes (whoever that is).

Kingsbury would electroshock One Jets Drive with his innovative offensive principles. He’d also elevate the collective swagger quotient by a factor of 10.

The 39-year-old Kingsbury has the ability to breathe life into an offense that was disjointed for much of this season.

Forget his Hollywood good looks, Kliff Kingsbury is a great fit the Broadway stage in the Big Apple.
Forget his Hollywood good looks, Kliff Kingsbury is a great fit the Broadway stage in the Big Apple. (Charlie Neibergall / AP)

“I just think the NFL is moving in that direction,” Webb told me recently about Kingsbury’s ability to succeed with his spread-based schemes. “The hashes are different from college. In college, they’re a little wider so you’re able to move guys around and have wider splits than in the NFL. So, there’s some things that won’t change. But at the same time, the tempo, getting the plays in and out of the huddle quicker, the zone reads, the read options… that’s all growing. You’re seeing Kansas City doing a great job of it.”

The top priority for the next head coach will be to bring the best out of Darnold. Kingsbury’s ability to maximize Mahomes’ skillset is proof positive that he knows how to develop quarterbacks.

Jets fans have another reason to love Kingsbury: Mayfield hates him.

Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech to Oklahoma after his freshman season due to a logjam at quarterback.

Kingsbury also is part of the Jets family (not that that really means anything). He completed one of his only two NFL pass in one season with Gang Green (2005).

Kliff Kingsbury
Kliff Kingsbury (Scott Boehm / AP)

He was fired by Texas Tech in November after a 35-40 record in six seasons. He was hired by USC a few weeks later, but he’d surely bolt for the NFL for a head coaching position.

The Jets kicked off their slate of interviews with Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy on Wednesday. Kingsbury would be an intriguing option. He’d be great for Darnold, but is he ready to be an NFL head coach without any prior coaching experience in the league.

He would be a terrific option to be the Jets offensive coordinator — and a slam dunk to be Darnold’s quarterbacks coach — but it’s fair to wonder whether he’d be the best choice to be the head honcho at this time.

Would Kingsbury even want to leave USC if he didn’t get a head coaching job?

There are also fair questions about all college coaches’ abilities to assemble a quality staff. It’d be incumbent upon Maccagnan to help out by pairing him with an experienced defensive coordinator.

Regardless, the Jets’ best player and their legions of fans are all-in on Kingsbury.

There’s definitely a lot more to this guy than looks.

But I guess that doesn’t hurt, either.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1080456664183197697?s=19

The Kliff Kingsbury thing is incredibly fascinating to me. USC HC not popular right now after poor season. New USC OC getting courted by Pro teams for HC position. That’s got to be extremely awkward around the office. I can’t recall a similar situation.

It is kind of weird..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm happy they are thinking outside the box. I guess the question will be how he does as a Head Coach in the NFL and I believe you said who his staff would be. He would need some experience, I would think like McVay has on the Defensive side of the ball in LA.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Mehta: Kliff Kingsbury looks like the NFL's next brilliant offensive mind and would be a great fit with Sam Darnold

Manish Mehta
JAN 02, 2019 | 10:40 AM 

Kliff Kingsbury may be really, really, really ridiculously good looking, but he’s definitely no Zoolander.

And Jamal Adams wants him to be the next Jets head coach.

The tell-it-like-it-is Pro Bowl safety took to social media Tuesday night to give his endorsement for Gang Green’s vacancy. Adams’ decision to start following the former Texas Tech head coach and current USC offensive coordinator on Instagram didn’t go unnoticed. He later confirmed SNY’s suspicions on Twitter that Kingsbury was indeed his top choice to replace Todd Bowles.

Making mountains out of social media molehills is par for the course in this day and age, but Jets fans got into a veritable tizzy after word surfaced that Kingsbury was expected to be interviewed by the Jets and Cardinals.

Sure, Kingsbury looks like he should be gracing the cover of GQ or making acceptance speeches at the Oscars, but the dude is a brilliant offensive mind who could do wonders for Sam Darnold.

Kingsbury was the architect of explosive offenses at the University of Houston and Texas Tech. He coached some pretty good quarterbacks along the way that you might have heard of too: Case Keenum, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Davis Webb and some guy named Patrick Mahomes (whoever that is).

Kingsbury would electroshock One Jets Drive with his innovative offensive principles. He’d also elevate the collective swagger quotient by a factor of 10.

The 39-year-old Kingsbury has the ability to breathe life into an offense that was disjointed for much of this season.

Forget his Hollywood good looks, Kliff Kingsbury is a great fit the Broadway stage in the Big Apple.
Forget his Hollywood good looks, Kliff Kingsbury is a great fit the Broadway stage in the Big Apple. (Charlie Neibergall / AP)

“I just think the NFL is moving in that direction,” Webb told me recently about Kingsbury’s ability to succeed with his spread-based schemes. “The hashes are different from college. In college, they’re a little wider so you’re able to move guys around and have wider splits than in the NFL. So, there’s some things that won’t change. But at the same time, the tempo, getting the plays in and out of the huddle quicker, the zone reads, the read options… that’s all growing. You’re seeing Kansas City doing a great job of it.”

The top priority for the next head coach will be to bring the best out of Darnold. Kingsbury’s ability to maximize Mahomes’ skillset is proof positive that he knows how to develop quarterbacks.

Jets fans have another reason to love Kingsbury: Mayfield hates him.

Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech to Oklahoma after his freshman season due to a logjam at quarterback.

Kingsbury also is part of the Jets family (not that that really means anything). He completed one of his only two NFL pass in one season with Gang Green (2005).

Kliff Kingsbury
Kliff Kingsbury (Scott Boehm / AP)

He was fired by Texas Tech in November after a 35-40 record in six seasons. He was hired by USC a few weeks later, but he’d surely bolt for the NFL for a head coaching position.

The Jets kicked off their slate of interviews with Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy on Wednesday. Kingsbury would be an intriguing option. He’d be great for Darnold, but is he ready to be an NFL head coach without any prior coaching experience in the league.

He would be a terrific option to be the Jets offensive coordinator — and a slam dunk to be Darnold’s quarterbacks coach — but it’s fair to wonder whether he’d be the best choice to be the head honcho at this time.

Would Kingsbury even want to leave USC if he didn’t get a head coaching job?

There are also fair questions about all college coaches’ abilities to assemble a quality staff. It’d be incumbent upon Maccagnan to help out by pairing him with an experienced defensive coordinator.

Regardless, the Jets’ best player and their legions of fans are all-in on Kingsbury.

There’s definitely a lot more to this guy than looks.

But I guess that doesn’t hurt, either.

That assh0le was just saying the same things about Iowa State Cyclones legend Matt Campbell no more than 2 days ago.

Manish is the last guys opinion I want to listen to on these matters.

Kingsbury as OC with a vet coach like McCarthy? Sure, I like that.

But as the head honcho? That’s a helluva lot more risky than the Rams and Bears hiring guys like McVay and Nagy. At least they had NFL pedigrees.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

F*ck it. YOLO. This hire is doomed anyway. Let’s make it Mike Martz-Chip Kelly-Jerry Glanville wild-boy disastrous. Hire Kliff and surround him with barely legal hot interns and let’s party. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I want to find the nurse’s aide that taught you how to export images from Google and I want to murder her and eat the piece of her brain that thought doing such a thing was a good idea.

Ask your caretaker to teach you next time you are intimately involved while she's changing your diaper, its easy. 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Didnt you hear?  Not good, he spells his name with a K

Archived