Kliff Kingsbury to interview with Jets

Jetsbb

Just now, BobbyFlay99 said:

You’ll see.

I will see.  The rumor comes from a University of Texas message board.  I've been on message boards long enough to know how to make up a "sourced rumor".

First step is look at the odds of your outcome.  Kingsbury has exactly 2 interviews.  The Jets and Cards.  The Jets have gotten interviews with nearly everyone they have wanted.  The Cards have been rejected a bunch.  

So Kingsbury's highest odds right now, probably by a lot, is the Cardinals.  So someone says he has agreed to be their coach(have they even interviewed him yet?).  If it happens, they will say I told you, even though their information was actually made up.

That stuff happens all the time on message boards, especially college ones.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Rumors flying that the Cardinals offered Kliff the gig.

Hopefully, he waits to interview with us before accepting. 

I have not seen a single actual news source report that the interview has even happened yet, never mind the job being offered.  Seems very questionable that this is anything more than random crap being thrown out there.

25 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have not seen a single actual news source report that the interview has even happened yet, never mind the job being offered.  Seems very questionable that this is anything more than random crap being thrown out there.

Some interviews may not have been leaked. He is Arizona bound.

If the Jets were really interested in Kingsbury, and the offense he could bring here, then just hire Todd Monken.  He’s coached in a very similar offense as Kingsbury but has the advantage of actually adapting it to the NFL game.   Monken is a more experienced coach, and would be a better hire than Kingsbury.   

The Arizona leaks could also be leverage against the Jets, Let's imagine for a second the Jets are REALLY high on Kingsbury and that somehow got back to his agent. Well leaks about Arizona having/about to offer him the job are tremendous motivators for the Jets to make a FOMO offer to him right away

Arizona would have to offer the HC position, and a king’s ransom to get his signature.

consider this, KK loves the big city and the lights, HE sought out USC for the open OC position, claiming he was intrigued by the tradition and pageantry.  Arizona is not a big market, hardly glamorous.

IF, as guys are apt to say, “The ‘P’ is undefeated”, he stays in L.A. with his SoCal GF who lives in a beach town.  

Which QB fits KK system better, Sam who is mobile, and a gunslinger, or a classic, immobile Pro style QB?

I can tell you, we are much, much more worried about the Jets opening. One of our insiders (always on the money) has said that KK has eliminated AZ.

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The Arizona leaks could also be leverage against the Jets, Let's imagine for a second the Jets are REALLY high on Kingsbury and that somehow got back to his agent. Well leaks about Arizona having/about to offer him the job are tremendous motivators for the Jets to make a FOMO offer to him right away

Or USC for more $$$$.

Note:  USC never offered the HC position, nor is it in his contract that he is the HC in waiting if CH is fired.  

The reddit/twitter rumors I've seen are that he has interviewed with the Cardinals and has been offered the position.

I haven't seen anything that says he ACCEPTED the position.

....and why would he?  If they offered him the position, he can play both teams off of one another to get a better deal.  

If he accepted on the spot, he needs to get a new agent.

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The reddit/twitter rumors I've seen are that he has interviewed with the Cardinals and has been offered the position.

I haven't seen anything that says he ACCEPTED the position.

....and why would he?  If they offered him the position, he can play both teams off of one another to get a better deal.  

If he accepted on the spot, he needs to get a new agent.

I don’t think he is a position to negotiate too much- I don’t think many teams are lining up to make him their head coach. If he was offered the gig he should take it and run.

30 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Arizona would have to offered the HC position, and a king’s ransom to get his signature.

consider this, KK loves the big city and the lights, HE sought out USC for the open OC position, claiming he was intrigued by the tradition and pageantry.  Arizona is not a big market, hardly glamorous.

IF, as guys are apt to say, “The ‘P’ is undefeated”, he stays in L.A. with his SoCal GF who lives in a beach town.  

Which QB fits KK system better, Sam who is mobile, and a gunslinger, or a classic, immobile Pro style QB?

I can tell you, we are much, much more worried about the Jets opening. One of our insiders (always on the money) has said that KK has eliminated AZ.

I hope Kliff’s middle name doesn’t also start with a K

The only pre-requisite I have for a head coach is being the right fit for the Jets. It doesn't matter if we hire another long shot rookie head coach or a grizzled re-tread. If this guy is the right guy, sign him and surround him with a few former head coaches that are willing to mentor, but not step on his toes. 

12 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If the Jets were really interested in Kingsbury, and the offense he could bring here, then just hire Todd Monken.  He’s coached in a very similar offense as Kingsbury but has the advantage of actually adapting it to the NFL game.   Monken is a more experienced coach, and would be a better hire than Kingsbury.   

I'm all for Todd Monken. Did a great job as the Tampa offensive coordinator over the past 2 years and even has head coaching experience as the Southern Miss coach (taking them from 0-12 to 9-5).

Not to mention that we're maintaing some coaching "continuity" by keeping the first name (going from Todd Bowles  to Todd Monken). I hear the Johnson's consider this a big plus.

Kingsbury is my choice for HC, mainly because he's been very good at developing QB.  And that's the most important position on the field right now, and the Jets need someone to get it right.  

He developed Case Keenum at Houston (Keenum had a 15pt hike in rating the year he spent with Kingsbury)

He helped develop Manziel at A&M (Kingsbury was hired to be the coach at TT before A&M bowl game, so essentially most of Manziel's career)

At Texas Tech, hardly a recruiting hot spot, he found Mayfield, Webb, Mahomes. 

His defenses suck, but college football is all about recruiting.  When a team like Alabama could line up 5 star recruits all over the place, it doesn't matter if you have Vince Lombardi on your sidelines.  

All I really care about is how the next coach can develop Darnold, and make him a star.  The Chiefs have one of the worst defenses in the league, and they are the No. 1 seed because their offense is just at another level.  I'd much rather focus on developing the QB first, and then finding defensive coaches.  

Need Kingsbury.  And hopefully we can bring in an old former head coach as a coordinator and nfl mentor for him.  He will be great w players, NY will love him, he’s played here, has respect and knowledge, and wants to win.  The new wave of young coaches. Have to start somewhere, right?

During the season end presser, Chris Johnson stated that he wanted the new coach to be able to coach a “young team.”

Reading between the lines: 

- Bowles was too old school in scheme, method, mentality, rapport with our players.

- He wants a leader, but one that can motivate this generation of players. One that can communicate well with them. How many “blown assignments did we see in Bowles’ 4 years here? These guys tuned Bowles out. 4 of our players have already begged Kliff to be hired. He’ll relate and communicate fine with our guys.

- He wants an aggressive, innovative, offensive coach. Andy Reid and Sean McVay had him teach offense to their teams. McVay and Arizona both tried to hire him as an offensive assistant the second he got fired this year. They didn’t wait. They wanted him asap. This is not all for nothing.

I think Kingsbury is Johnson’s guy. He’s going to see how the interview goes to make sure Kingsbury has a cohesive plan on staff, roster, player evaluation, scouting, etc. I think he’s going to interview well and be hired on the spot next week.

11 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Not to mention that we're maintaing some coaching "continuity" by keeping the first name (going from Todd Bowles  to Todd Monken). I hear the Johnson's consider this a big plus.

This might have scared people a couple of weeks ago...

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.55.13 PM.png

Archived