McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If McCarthy comes in and owns up to the problems he had in GB, and is willing to let an OC get involved, and call plays -- I'm much more OK with this whole thing... But, i always had the impression that Mike was a control-guy, needs to be the one pulling the strings. 

I would need that assurance, to be able to get on board. If he's essentially just reopening shop here, then forget it. If he's willing to approach his job in a different way?... OK, i'm listening. 

And how are the qualities you asking about for all of these other coaches?  I know what you are saying as coaches are stubborn by nature and the last two guys we have had refused to change at all.  All I know is that with a long term guy he has seen almost everything in this league.  Something that the other candidates have not and will have to make their mistakes.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

interesting. 2 good to very, very good WRs Evans/Jackson+   Fitz opened it up? doesnt't sound right. though Fitz had a quite nice 2015 with 2 good to very good Wrs in Marshall and Decker.  TB's WR are more xplosive. 

Both quarterbacks had success with that offense this year, so to think it was just a reflection on Fitzpatrick doesn't tell the full story.  Tampa Bay had a wide- open, high octane offense this year, with a pretty good running game to boot.  Their reason for sucking was on the other side of the ball.  I suspect this is a very good Offensive Coordinator { or system}.

Report: Mike McCarthy’s interview with Browns moved to next week

Reportedly, Mike McCarthy’s interview with the Cleveland Browns has been moved to next week.

Author: Matthew Florjancic
Published: 1:07 PM EST January 3, 2019
Updated: 1:08 PM EST January 3, 2019

CLEVELAND — Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy was expected to interview for the Cleveland Browns’ head coach vacancy Thursday, but someone called an audible.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, McCarthy’s interview has been rescheduled for some time next week.

McCarthy is expected to interview for the New York Jets’ head coach opening, and Demovsky believes “that could end up being the place for McCarthy if he decides to coach in 2019.”

McCarthy is a long-time NFL coach, most recently for the Green Bay Packers. McCarthy spent 13 years with the Packers before being let go late in 2018 after Green Bay had fallen out of playoff contention for the second consecutive season.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy 4
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy calls in a play during the first half against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin on September 10, 2017.
Joe Robbins

During his 13 years with the Packers, McCarthy compiled a 125-77-2 record (.618 winning percentage) in regular-season contests, as well as a 10-8 mark (.556 winning percentage) in postseason play.

Known as an offensive-minded coach based on his history as quarterbacks coach of the Kansas City Chiefs (1995-1998) and Packers (1999), as well as coordinator for the New Orleans Saints (2000-2004) and San Francisco 49ers (2005), McCarthy successfully navigated a difficult transition from Hall of Fame signal-caller Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers, who has become a multi-time Pro Bowl selection.

This email will be delivered to your inbox once a day in the morning.
Submit

After the transition to Rodgers, McCarthy led the Packers to the Super Bowl XLV Championship with a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers at then-Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas following the 2010 regular season.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy 3
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy challenges a play during a game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin on December 11, 2016.
Dylan Buell

McCarthy has connections to several members of the Browns’ front office from his time with the Packers, namely general manager John Dorsey, assistant GM Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith, the vice president of player personnel.

McCarthy was scheduled to be the Browns’ third interview this week, along with current interim coach/defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Jim Caldwell, the former coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions.

Williams interviewed for the full-time opening Tuesday, and Caldwell followed Wednesday. Minnesota Vikings interim offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski was expected to interview Thursday.

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Monken, Waldron or Kingsbury. All would need a strong DC hire (as does McCarthy BTW), but the teams would respond to them, we would run a modern offense that would maximize Sam's ability, and we would be an aggressive dynamic team suitable for the modern NFL.

The McCarthy QB school is great and all,, but Darnold doesnt need mechanics coaching, he needs a modern offensive system built around his strengths. He will not get that from McCarthy. He will get a stock WC offense which modern defenses are designed to stop. We need the dynamic forward thinking of the modern offensive minds. McCarthys time in the NFL is done. Just like the power sweep of Lombardi would not be successful in todays NFL. Elements like jet sweep motion,. RPO. spread concepts, all these things are needed in todays NFL. We get them with Monken Waldron or Kingsbury we do not with McCarthy unless he plans on hiring a guy like this and overhauling his offensive philosphy.

The best point you made was in the last sentence of your post.  You do realize that McCarthy is being interviewed for the Head Coaching job don't you?  He will invariably  hire an Offensive Coordinator, and you hopefully will get  your wish.  Just because he has been doing this for years does not mean he lives under a rock or has not noticed the innovations and changes in offenses.  As a competitor and professional I am sure he will look to integrate these philosophies and techniques into the game plan. Was Parcells time "done" because he was in the League for years.  Is Bellicheat done because his team is in decline and the roster needs to be turned over?  The NFL is not college football.  What we get with McCarthy is a seasoned, professional, winning, NFL Coach who knows how to build a staff, a team and a winner.  Not the flashiest toy in the box, but a good sensible choice.  The Jets must get it right this time. The flash and innovation can come from the coordinators.  Let's start with the base.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Lets say this is accurate for argument sake...

What you're saying is -- "McCarthy is good a developing a QB.... and thus, a good QB is able to mask his HC deficiencies...."  

Do you see where I'm going with this? He essentially survived 5-6 years too long in GB because of Aaron's performance on sundays.. Do we want to handcuff this team to the same fate? Darnold will develop. He's going to be good - I have zero doubt about that. But is he going to be good enough to compensate for McCarthy's history of inadequencies?

I'm not prepared to blindly sign up for that. 

I'm saying QB development is one of his important qualities. And the "history of inadequacies" doesn't make sense. The anti-McCarthy contingent wants to completely dismiss his 125-77-2 coaching record and his nine playoff appearances (four conference championship games) in 13 years because Aaron Rodgers is his QB. Yeah, Rodgers is great, but he's not a football god who can just walk onto a field and conjure up a win by his mere presence. You need a good coach and a football team, too, and the fact is that the Packers haven't been especially talented during the McCarthy/Rodgers era, particularly on defense and the offensive line. Their drafting has sucked in recent years and they rarely sign free agents to fill holes. McCarthy has won despite this fact. Great QBs can't do it alone. They need good coaches and good players. The perfect illustration of this is the Brees/Payton pairing in New Orleans. Brees is on the same level of greatness as Rogers, and the pairing started in 2006, the same years Rodgers and McCarthy got together. Yet the Saints have had way more down years during that time, including three straight 7-9 seasons. 

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

My ideal scenario is McCarthy with a young offensive mind like Kingsbury as OC and a veteran defensive coordinator like Gregg Williams

This. 

McCarthy brings with him a clear amount of authority. He’s been there, done it, and got the t-shirt. 

There is absolutely no reason why he can’t hire a “young offensive mind” that everyone seems to clamour for, as an OC and even groom them to be the next HC years down the line. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

13 seasons; 9 playoff appearances; 6 Division Championships;  1 Superbowl win. Only 3 losing seasons in 13 seasons.  

I’ll take a coach any day and twice on Sunday with those stats. As a matter of fact I don’t believe there is a coach on the market with those numbers. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I’ll take a coach any day and twice on Sunday with those stats. As a matter of fact I don’t believe there is a coach on the market with those numbers. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

McCarthy developed Rodgers and his system got scrub Matt Flynn a big contract

This guy is a no brainer for Darnold

21 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Get McCarthy into Florham Park now

I’m fully convinced we need to hire him. He checks all the boxes as to what the team needs right now. His record speaks for itself. 

Throw him a boat load of cash and a guaranteed long term deal. Sign him up.

Stability, experience and someone that can groom Darnold.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Disagree with the bolded. There are several reasons to like McCarthy:

1) He's been a consistent winner. He's won 6 division titles. He's had 8 seasons with double digit wins. He's taken his team to 4 conference championship games. People always obsess over the Superbowl, but the reality is that actually winning the Superbowl is extremely f*cking hard and usually involves some luck. What I am interested in is building a perennial contender that gives us a chance to win the Superbowl every year. McCarthy has experience in doing just that. 

2) He was instrumental in helping Rodgers become the player he ultimately became. With respect to Darnold's development, McCarthy has the ideal experience that one would want a HC to have. 

3) He has a fair amount of cachet around the league. He's a guy who folks respect. I think it's always a good idea to get a guy like that into this organization. 

Rebuttal:

1. He WAS a consistent winner, but as the NFL evolves he has become less and less successful. Yes there is luck in winning a Superbowl, but his team struggled that year and got hot at the right time. He was fired because he refuses to adjust his philosophy, no reason to think he will adapt here 

2. He was instrumental in devloping Rodgers, but the narrative that Favre did not help him develop is bogus. There was a recent Sirius XM interview with Rodgers and Favre, and Rodgers mentioned tons of things he learned and was mentored on by Favre. In addition, Darnold does not need the same type of teaching McCarthy provided Rodgers. Sam does not need much if any mechanics and fundamentals help, he needs an offensive system developed around him and instruction in running that system. McCarthy teaching stock WC offense does not accomplish this

3. Who cares about cachet? Bowles had a ton. Herm has a ton. John Fox and Jeff Fisher had tons. If anything this is almost a negative as that cachet ignores his deficiencies because he has a "reputation" as a good coach and a a good person. 

4. He is a very bad situational coach. We saw from Bowles how that cost us games. Do we really want a guy like that as well,

Previous success is not a good reason to hire a good coach. The NFL changes. Not all coaches do. Would Cowhers run at all costs philosophy work in todays NFL? I doubt it

Jeff Fisher had a similar record of success to McCarthy but it is obvious that has approach was a compete loser in todays NFL

McCarthy is the same. He is a dinosaur. We need an aggressive, innovative, dynamic, intelligent leader of YOUNG men. One with a MODERN offensive approach.

McCarthy is just not that guy. His run is over. GB fired him for a reason

31 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'm saying QB development is one of his important qualities. And the "history of inadequacies" doesn't make sense. The anti-McCarthy contingent wants to completely dismiss his 125-77-2 coaching record and his nine playoff appearances (four conference championship games) in 13 years because Aaron Rodgers is his QB. Yeah, Rodgers is great, but he's not a football god who can just walk onto a field and conjure up a win by his mere presence. You need a good coach and a football team, too, and the fact is that the Packers haven't been especially talented during the McCarthy/Rodgers era, particularly on defense and the offensive line. Their drafting has sucked in recent years and they rarely sign free agents to fill holes. McCarthy has won despite this fact. Great QBs can't do it alone. They need good coaches and good players. The perfect illustration of this is the Brees/Payton pairing in New Orleans. Brees is on the same level of greatness as Rogers, and the pairing started in 2006, the same years Rodgers and McCarthy got together. Yet the Saints have had way more down years during that time, including three straight 7-9 seasons. 

I'll concede i've swung too far to the right, and probably demonized McCarthy far more than he deserves... 

but that bolded is categorically, statistically, and utterly false. Someone else here was spewing that same rhetoric and it's just wrong. They've drafted better than 90% of the NFL teams, So shelf that sh*t.

There's merit in the NOS argument though. McCarthy is better than most options right now, with a few offering higher ceilings. I've felt he lost touch with balanced playcalling, and it's shown itself in the last 2-3 years more so than in the past... that said, i'm probably not giving him credit for the good decisions/moments on his resume as well. I still have a couple others ahead of him, but i'm stepping back from pretending he's a "bad" option. (so enjoy the victory ? )

Any McCarthy to the Jets deal is going to be (for me) contingent on what he does about the OC role and how much control he asserts himself into w/ playcalling. 

37 minutes ago, choon328 said:

My ideal scenario is McCarthy with a young offensive mind like Kingsbury as OC and a veteran defensive coordinator like Gregg Williams

As an uninformed observer, That appears to me the direction the Jets hope to head in.  I have a hard time seeing Kingsbury being seriously considered as the HC.  As an OC under a vet HC?  Sure

Wonder if McCarthy would accept Junior Johnson picking out his staff though   

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'll concede i've swung too far to the right, and probably demonized McCarthy far more than he deserves... 

but that bolded is categorically, statistically, and utterly false. Someone else here was spewing that same rhetoric and it's just wrong. They've drafted better than 90% of the NFL teams, So shelf that sh*t.

There's merit in the NOS argument though. McCarthy is better than most options right now, with a few offering higher ceilings. I've felt he lost touch with balanced playcalling, and it's shown itself in the last 2-3 years more so than in the past... that said, i'm probably not giving him credit for the good decisions/moments on his resume as well. I still have a couple others ahead of him, but i'm stepping back from pretending he's a "bad" option. (so enjoy the victory ? )

Any McCarthy to the Jets deal is going to be (for me) contingent on what he does about the OC role and how much control he asserts himself into w/ playcalling. 

Same for me. I'd like to think that him getting fired made him do a "self-evaluation" over the last few weeks and he was able to look at the league and teams like KC, LAR, and Saints from a different perspective and maybe adapt a bit more.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

As an uninformed observer, That appears to me the direction the Jets hope to head in.  I have a hard time seeing Kingsbury being seriously considered as the HC.  As an OC under a vet HC?  Sure

If they hired McCarthy and had Kingsbury or Monken as the OC-the HC in waiting to learn from McCarthy over 4 yeara, that would be an absolute dream scenario. 

This is a classic chicken and egg scenario.  Is McCarthy responsible for Rodgers success or vice versa.  The answer is probably a little of both, but what is not up for debate is the sustained period of competitive teams that McCarthy was the HC for, and THAT is all any fan can sk for - a team that is legitimately competitive year after year.  

I hear the arguments for a younger more progressive and creative offensive minded HC to lead Darnold to greatness but Jets fans cannot be mad if they bring in a proven winner like McCarthy.  Just my 2 cents. 

I was unaware until today their is a McCarthy/Klingsbury connection.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Cimini was speculating on twitter that the Kingsbury interview was to educate the Jets on the type of offense he runs for the purpose of knowing what to ask real contenders. Seemed a bit tin foil hatty, but what do I know?

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Cimini was speculating on twitter that the Kingsbury interview was to educate the Jets on the type of offense he runs for the purpose of knowing what to ask real contenders. Seemed a bit tin foil hatty, but what do I know?

Same could be said for Bienemy, right?  Eric was the Jets first interview but most people chalked it up as a Rooney Rule interview.  I would think it's also a good opportunity for Macchiato's/Johnson to A.) Get a little more educated on offensive thinking and how Bienemy views offense in today's NFL and; B.) Simply an opportunity to practice interviewing and get better for the real fish the Jets are targeting like McCarthy and possibly Kingsbury.

47 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Rebuttal:

1. He WAS a consistent winner, but as the NFL evolves he has become less and less successful. Yes there is luck in winning a Superbowl, but his team struggled that year and got hot at the right time. He was fired because he refuses to adjust his philosophy, no reason to think he will adapt here 

2. He was instrumental in devloping Rodgers, but the narrative that Favre did not help him develop is bogus. There was a recent Sirius XM interview with Rodgers and Favre, and Rodgers mentioned tons of things he learned and was mentored on by Favre. In addition, Darnold does not need the same type of teaching McCarthy provided Rodgers. Sam does not need much if any mechanics and fundamentals help, he needs an offensive system developed around him and instruction in running that system. McCarthy teaching stock WC offense does not accomplish this

3. Who cares about cachet? Bowles had a ton. Herm has a ton. John Fox and Jeff Fisher had tons. If anything this is almost a negative as that cachet ignores his deficiencies because he has a "reputation" as a good coach and a a good person. 

4. He is a very bad situational coach. We saw from Bowles how that cost us games. Do we really want a guy like that as well,

Previous success is not a good reason to hire a good coach. The NFL changes. Not all coaches do. Would Cowhers run at all costs philosophy work in todays NFL? I doubt it

Jeff Fisher had a similar record of success to McCarthy but it is obvious that has approach was a compete loser in todays NFL

McCarthy is the same. He is a dinosaur. We need an aggressive, innovative, dynamic, intelligent leader of YOUNG men. One with a MODERN offensive approach.

McCarthy is just not that guy. His run is over. GB fired him for a reason

We disagree on a lot of basic stuff and I don't think it is worth going point by point. 

But, let me ask you, if not McCarthy, who do you want to hire? Who would be better for Darnold? Who has a better resume? Who is a more proven NFL commodity?

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

I don't see the Jets ever winning a "bidding war" We're talking Johnson bros here. They don't part with money. 

I disagree, I think they've been more than willing to shell out big money. My only gripe with them is that they didn't put a dome on our stadium.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I disagree, I think they've been more than willing to shell out big money. My only gripe with them is that they didn't put a dome on our stadium.

Dumbest move in history.

And for those who say you'd take away the home field advantage in the cold or snow I should remind you that the home team determines and communicates whether a retractable dome will be open or closed something like 12 hours before the game.  They make the decision however they want regardless of weather.

I went to the NFC Championship Game in 2009 in Arizona when the Cardinals beat the Eagles.  Beautiful day here in Phoenix, about 60 degrees and bright sunshine.  Retractable roof?  CLOSED.  Why?  Because the Cardinals wanted it that way and thought it would help with the crowd noise on defense.

Jets and Giants should have put a retractable roof on the stadium.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Report: Mike McCarthy’s interview with Browns moved to next week

Reportedly, Mike McCarthy’s interview with the Cleveland Browns has been moved to next week.

Author: Matthew Florjancic
Published: 1:07 PM EST January 3, 2019
Updated: 1:08 PM EST January 3, 2019

CLEVELAND — Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy was expected to interview for the Cleveland Browns’ head coach vacancy Thursday, but someone called an audible.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, McCarthy’s interview has been rescheduled for some time next week.

McCarthy is expected to interview for the New York Jets’ head coach opening, and Demovsky believes “that could end up being the place for McCarthy if he decides to coach in 2019.”

McCarthy is a long-time NFL coach, most recently for the Green Bay Packers. McCarthy spent 13 years with the Packers before being let go late in 2018 after Green Bay had fallen out of playoff contention for the second consecutive season.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy 4
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy calls in a play during the first half against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin on September 10, 2017.
Joe Robbins

During his 13 years with the Packers, McCarthy compiled a 125-77-2 record (.618 winning percentage) in regular-season contests, as well as a 10-8 mark (.556 winning percentage) in postseason play.

Known as an offensive-minded coach based on his history as quarterbacks coach of the Kansas City Chiefs (1995-1998) and Packers (1999), as well as coordinator for the New Orleans Saints (2000-2004) and San Francisco 49ers (2005), McCarthy successfully navigated a difficult transition from Hall of Fame signal-caller Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers, who has become a multi-time Pro Bowl selection.

This email will be delivered to your inbox once a day in the morning.

Submit

After the transition to Rodgers, McCarthy led the Packers to the Super Bowl XLV Championship with a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers at then-Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas following the 2010 regular season.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy 3
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy challenges a play during a game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin on December 11, 2016.
Dylan Buell

McCarthy has connections to several members of the Browns’ front office from his time with the Packers, namely general manager John Dorsey, assistant GM Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith, the vice president of player personnel.

McCarthy was scheduled to be the Browns’ third interview this week, along with current interim coach/defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Jim Caldwell, the former coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions.

Williams interviewed for the full-time opening Tuesday, and Caldwell followed Wednesday. Minnesota Vikings interim offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski was expected to interview Thursday.

Isn't this huge news?

Cleveland basically just told him they are more interested in Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski than McCarthy ... WTF ... Hope that turns out to be Giants drafting Barkely

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

1. He WAS a consistent winner, but as the NFL evolves he has become less and less successful.

McCarthy:

2015: 10-6 (1-1 in playoffs).

2016: 10-6 (2-1 in playoffs).

2017: 7-9 (4-1 until Rodgers broke his collarbone and missed next nine games).

2018: 4-7-1

You're imagining things. One bad year in 2018 and a lost year due to Rodgers' injury is not "less and less successful." 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

If McCarthy comes in and owns up to the problems he had in GB, and is willing to let an OC get involved, and call plays -- I'm much more OK with this whole thing... But, i always had the impression that Mike was a control-guy, needs to be the one pulling the strings. 

I would need that assurance, to be able to get on board. If he's essentially just reopening shop here, then forget it. If he's willing to approach his job in a different way?... OK, i'm listening. 

I think anyone in any profession, when you approach a new opportunity you reflect on what worked and what didn’t work. ( I know I do) This is a fresh start for McCarthy and he would be a fool to take his failures with him instead of leaving them behind. We all have our opinions and neither you nor I will make the decision on the next Jet coach. I don’t know all the idiosyncrasies of what happened in GB, and it would be speculation at best to know what happened. I do know by personal experience that it’s not always the job you do that will get you fired as much as the personality conflicts you may have with those you work with. I just want a coach that will make this team a contender into the post season.

33 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

McCarthy:

2015: 10-6 (1-1 in playoffs).

2016: 10-6 (2-1 in playoffs).

2017: 7-9 (4-1 until Rodgers broke his collarbone and missed next nine games).

2018: 4-7-1

You're imagining things. One bad year in 2018 and a lost year due to Rodgers' injury is not "less and less successful." 

Reid has two bad years in Philly at the end he’s now possibly taking the Chiefs to the super Bowl

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Rebuttal:

This is simply not true.

Head coaching record
Regular season: 173–165–1 (.512)
Postseason: 5–6 (.455)
Career: 178–171–1 (.510)

Archived