Multiple Jets Players Support Idea of Kingsbury as Next Head Coach

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tough to run this type of offense in Dec. and January in the wind tunnel known of the Meadowlands. There has to be balance like the Saints have and the Chargers and Chiefs. Make him the OC but have a coach who will also establish the run game

that’s why i think you need a Leveon Bell/Alvin Kamara to run this offense in the NFL. A dynamic pass catching backs only thing that keeps this offense on track. I am curious about pass pro with this offense also...

I think it's foolish of players to comment on coaching prospects this way.  If we bring another guy in, are they going to now be starting off with a sense of "you weren't the guy I wanted"?  If it was the player's own college coach, that's one thing.  But this is dumb.  

1 hour ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I’m all for making him an offensive coordinator but this guy doesn’t belong as an NFL head coach yet.  

Ehhh. This isn't rocket science and I'm not sure when that magic moment appears when someone is ready. It's a crap shoot.

What's not a crap shoot is assembling a competent coaching staff. And that's the biggest concern I have with an inexperienced coach. Who do they reach out to? 

Klingsbury is an intriguing candidate. 

The good: He coached Mayfield and Mahomes (and Davis Webb) at Texas Tech.  The offense was prolific. I love the idea of him developing Sammy.  He was an HC, not a coordinator, albeit on the college level.

The bad: Texas Tech had no success and has never coached on the NFL level.

I would not hate him being the guy.  If he develops Sam and then you move on from him in 3 years, at least you have not ruined your franchise QB who will still only be 24 years old. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lunatics running the asylum.

The guy is not qualified, at all, to be an NFL Head Coach.

O-Co, sure. Not more. Not with his resume.

What was so special about Mcvay or Nagy resume before they got there job ? 

I love the idea of Kliff Kingbury as OC... But let's be real for a minute. He was the head coach at Texas Tech for six years. In that time he had a winning record twice and never had a winning record in the Big XII... And he had Patrick Mahomes for two of those years!

I mean, college is different from the pros and if paired with a good experienced DC maybe it could work. But it's kind of scary that he has so little success as a HC. Most of these college guys at least dominate at the college level -- this guy just got fired from his beloved alma mater because he wasn't getting the job done.

I wouldn't completely nix it because he's obviously highly respected as an offensive guru but it's as massive, massive gamble. 

10 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

What was so special about Mcvay or Nagy resume before they got there job ? 

"BUT WHATABOUT!!!!" :rolleyes:

You're aware that 'whataboutism' is not actually a defense of a position, right?  It's a deflection.

Lets try and keep the discussion on the actual topic, Mr. Kingsbury, and his specific qualifications or lack thereof to be an NFL Head Coach.

I would say a guy with his resume:

-Complete failure as an NFL QB.
-6 Years of mostly losing in College (lifetime 35-40 record, only 2 winning seasons in 6....in college ffs)

IMO, Does not warrant a shot as a Head Coach at the NFL Level.

If he is some kind of developing Offensive mind, fine, consider him for an offensive Assistant Coach, QB Coach or Offensive Quality Control type position.

But not Head Coach, he simply hasn't earned that opportunity in his time in the minors.  O-Co.....maybe.  

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"BUT WHATABOUT!!!!" :rolleyes:

You're aware that 'whataboutism' is not actually a defense of a position, right?  It's a deflection.

Lets try and keep the discussion on the actual topic, Mr. Kingsbury, and his specific qualifications or lack thereof to be an NFL Head Coach.

I would say a guy with his resume:

-Complete failure as an NFL QB.
-6 Years of mostly losing in College (lifetime 35-40 record, only 2 winning seasons in 6....in college ffs)

IMO, Does not warrant a shot as a Head Coach at the NFL Level.

If he is some kind of developing Offensive mind, fine, consider him for an offensive Assistant Coach, QB Coach or Offensive Quality Control type position.

But not Head Coach, he simply hasn't earned that opportunity in his time in the minors.  O-Co.....maybe.  

His teams avg 40+ pts a game . Your telling me giving him actual real defense and D coordinator he couldn’t have success? Sorta like how bears and rams stacked there defenses 

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

Just think of all the folks that were laughing at the McVay hire, pointing to an incomplete, unimpressive resume, ditto to a lesser extent with Nagy. How do those hires look now? If you think about things in the traditional way of hiring, you're going to end up with a safe choice every time. Or, you could try to push the envelope a bit and swing for the fences and find that guy that a lot of people haven't done the work on. Thinking of Sam and hoping for a somewhat modern offense, let's try the latter for once. If one of these guys nail the interview and seem impressive, I hope they go for it.

Guys like McVay and Nagy had NFL coaching experience, Kingsbury doesn’t.

You’d have to go back to ‘89 to find the last coach who had zero previous NFL experience and made a successful jump to the pros (Jimmy Johnson).

I’d actually be pretty excited about pairing Kingsbury with McCarthy, but he needs some seasoning in the big leagues before becoming “the guy” IMO.

10 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

His teams avg 40+ pts a game . Your telling me giving him actual real defense and D coordinator he couldn’t have success? Sorta like how bears and rams stacked there defenses 

Running up the score vs. East Abilene Barber College in college week 1 on the way to a 5-7 season and a Tide Pods Bowl appearance doesn't really impress me.  

I'm telling you that in my opinion his resume doesn't come close to warranting an NFL Head Coach position yet.  

I'm telling you that there are a vary large number of other options with vastly superior resumes of success that would be better odds choices to be Head Coach.  

Please explain why I should want this young man, when someone like Mike McCarthy is still available?

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Guys like McVay and Nagy had NFL coaching experience, Kingsbury doesn’t.

You’d have to go back to ‘89 to find the last coach who had zero previous NFL experience and made a successful jump to the pros (Jimmy Johnson).

I’d actually be pretty excited about pairing Kingsbury with McCarthy, but he needs some seasoning in the big leagues before becoming “the guy” IMO.

That's fair. I'd like to hope a guy like Zac Taylor or KK would be open to an OC position, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully it's not as vanilla as I'm bracing for. We'll see I guess...

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Texas A&M —> NFL seems like a ... jump 

He was HC at Texas Tech.  OC at Texas A&M years ago.  Good dude not sure if right hire.  Never developed a winner at Tech even with that offense.  May just be picking his brain about developing Darnold.

I have nothing against Kliff but after Bowles is he the right person, will he hold the players accountable for mistakes and not let the inmates run the locker room.

I.E. how does your highest paid db over sleep, how did different players miss practice yr after yr?

We need someone who will come in and treat this like a business and make sure players get into the office and put in the work, is Kliff that guy?

Jamal, was just on WFAN. They asked him about his tweet. Basically stated Big 12 doesn't get much top recruit's and can't look at his record. He also mentioned his time at Texas I believe working with the QB's. He goes on to say the Jets need an offensive minded HC since Darnold is the real deal and that the NFL is offensive driven.

JMO but I take it that KC Rogers wasn't respected there and Bowles was covering him...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles wasn't great but give him a year off he'll re-emerge in the NFC as a DC on a team going deep in the playoffs 

the truth that the players don't realize is Bowles was a cheap option and so will Monkin be. they won't lure a big name they aren't in that market 

it's going to be a guy 99% of the fans have never heard of

Actually the more I read about Monken the more I like him. Plus, there seems to be a good set of bread crumbs leading to Monken. He seems to me to be the in between candidate which the Jets might see as "just right"

On one side you have the older very traditional minded head coaches in Caldwell and McCarthy. They are the safe choices . They have solid resumes and QBs performed well under them. One has a SB win. On the flip side, what they are as coaches is sort of set at this point. Neither are very adaptable or open to change, they are system coaches through and through. Also, they are not the best choices for connecting with todays younger players, and next year we will have an extremely young team.

On the other side you have Kingsbury and Ruhle. Dynamic offensive minded young guys that the team would respond to. Likely good for Darnold, though you might worry about offensive balance. Would need a strong DC. Would be very aggressive and could be home runs. Fits the mold of the modern NFL and the changes in philosophy we are seeing. Kingsbury is the ultimate risk/reward guy, Ruhle is much more balanced.

Then you have Monken. He is a little older but apparently is a high energy motivational guy that gets through to young players and older players alike. He is a great mix of experience and HC experience. Has developed a QB and got quite a lot out of two very questionable QBs in Fitz and Winston. They do have some weapons on offense, but the scheme was dynamic aggressive and successful especially down the field. Very modern and proven successful in the modern NFL. I am sure the Jets have gotten inside info on him from Fitz who probably still had god relationship with Mac. Fitz could not be more effusive about the guy.

In the end, it seems two candidates stand out in the search so far (lets see if it gets expanded). McCarthy and Monken. McCarthy is safe but very traditional, Monken is more in tune with modern offenses and not as risky as the college guys. They also seem to be the only two that check all the boxes Chris has laid out. I assume at this point it will be one of these two.

But Kingsbury is interesting because of his proven success with QBs. The Jets could become really enamored with that, and look to hire an Assistant HC/DC type to help him ramp up as HC.

Looking at the full list of candidates though, McCarthy is the outlier. I think the Jets go for someone more aggressive.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Damn straight 

And keep Boyer as the ST coach 

I’d honestly feel pretty damn good about that staff. Excited, even.

So McCarthy, Klingon-berries, Williams, Boyer?

Yeah, I'd be ok with that.  No complaints.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So McCarthy, Klingon-berries, Williams, Boyer?

Yeah, I'd be ok with that.  No complaints.

The only slight worry I would have is McCarthy/Kingsbury clashing a bit over difference in philosophy, but if they can mesh, we could potentially do special things on offense with Darnold at the helm.

Obviously we’d still need an influx of talent, but still...

VERY respectable staff 

51 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Jamal, was just on WFAN. They asked him about his tweet. Basically stated Big 12 doesn't get much top recruit's and can't look at his record. He also mentioned his time at Texas I believe working with the QB's. He goes on to say the Jets need an offensive minded HC since Darnold is the real deal and that the NFL is offensive driven.

JMO but I take it that KC Rogers wasn't respected there and Bowles was covering him...

They are actually fair points. Recruiting is not a NFL HC responsibility outside of maybe a FA here or there.  Cant ignore the success with QBs though. In the NFL it is certainly true that a good offense is the best defense. Bowles put more on the defenses plate than almost any other HC in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

McCarthy, Head Coach

Diff Dingleberry, O-Co

Greg Williams, D-Co

Acceptable?

Not for me. I would consider Williams and Kitchens just swapping teams in the same roles. Can't deny they have been successful with EXACTLY the same talent Hue had (who amazingly might get another HC gig)

I am vehemently opposed to McCarthy and Caldwell. 

I'm only for Kingsbury if he gets a solid DC with experience who can work independently, like Jim Schwartz.  Kingsbury is very bright, but I question as to whether the no huddle spread can work in the NFL, or will he adopt to a more NFL-friendly scheme?  It didn't work for Chip Kelly....

1 hour ago, Jetmech said:

He really rocked that interview.  Basically told Mac roll the dice don’t play it safe 

Archived