Multiple Jets Players Support Idea of Kingsbury as Next Head Coach

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we recall, after Woody fired Idzik and Rex, the best choices were Bowles and Quinn.  The Jets ended up with Bowles and Quinn went to the Super Bowl.  

Bowles may not be the next Parcells, but he needed a better organization.  He needed better talent and needed a grown up to make him hire a better staff.  His natural inclination was to fire threats and protect his friends.   That was his ultimate undoing. 

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I love the idea of Kliff Kingbury as OC... But let's be real for a minute. He was the head coach at Texas Tech for six years. In that time he had a winning record twice and never had a winning record in the Big XII... And he had Patrick Mahomes for two of those years!

I mean, college is different from the pros and if paired with a good experienced DC maybe it could work. But it's kind of scary that he has so little success as a HC. Most of these college guys at least dominate at the college level -- this guy just got fired from his beloved alma mater because he wasn't getting the job done.

I wouldn't completely nix it because he's obviously highly respected as an offensive guru but it's as massive, massive gamble. 

That's like saying Auburn/Texas A&M /LSU never won the SEC with Alabama in it . The big 12 had OKL, TCU and Baylor winning every year , records of teams in power conferences need to be looked at with a little more scrutiny.  Simply saying he never won is lazy at best.

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's like saying Auburn/Texas A&M /LSU never won the SEC with Alabama in it . The big 12 had OKL, TCU and Baylor winning every year , records of teams in power conferences need to be looked at with a little more scrutiny.  Simply saying he never won is lazy at best.

No, it's not like saying that at all.

If I had said "Texas Tech never won the Big XII Championship" that would be like saying it, kind of. But what I said was "he never had a winning record in the Big XII" meaning in his most successful seasons he went 4-5 against real teams. In four of his six seasons he only won a third of the games in his conference.

I'm not burying him for being 0-6 against Oklahoma. I'm saying being 1-5 against Kansas State is terrible.

In fact the reality that he went 35-40 overall in six years needs to be looked at under the lens that Texas Tech plays two cupcake games per year. And heck, if you count Kansas, the conference record is inflated too.

His resume as a head coach is bad, frankly. If you believe in him it's because 1) you're completely sold on him as an offensive genius and 2) you believe his failures as a HC are exclusively tied to college (i.e. recruiting.)

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No, it's not like saying that at all.

If I had said "Texas Tech never won the Big XII Championship" that would be like saying it, kind of. But what I said was "he never had a winning record in the Big XII" meaning in his most successful seasons he went 4-5 against real teams. In four of his six seasons he only won a third of the games in his conference.

I'm not burying him for being 0-6 against Oklahoma. I'm saying being 1-5 against Kansas State is terrible.

In fact the reality that he went 35-40 overall in six years needs to be looked at under the lens that Texas Tech plays two cupcake games per year. And heck, if you count Kansas, the conference record is inflated too.

His resume as a head coach is bad, frankly. If you believe in him it's because 1) you're completely sold on him as an offensive genius and 2) you believe his failures as a HC are exclusively tied to college (i.e. recruiting.)

Your basing that off of what Kansas State is now, when Kingsbury's Tech teams played them KSU was a much better team. 

Kingsbury not winning against Okl is not the indictment that Harbaugh not winning against OSU is. When your an inferior school in a Power 5 conference, looking at records is a mistake.

Also Texas is a hard state to recruit in with Texas, A&M and Okla and even Baylor poaching a lot of the talent. 

I believe in him because he is a progressive mind when it comes to offense , something the Jets have been averse to for like 2 decades now as they've always hired DC's with a penchant for the leather helmet football era .

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Your basing that off of what Kansas State is now, when Kingsbury's Tech teams played them KSU was a much better team. 

Kingsbury not winning against Okl is not the indictment that Harbaugh not winning against OSU is. When your an inferior school in a Power 5 conference, looking at records is a mistake.

Also Texas is a hard state to recruit in with Texas, A&M and Okla and even Baylor poaching a lot of the talent. 

I believe in him because he is a progressive mind when it comes to offense , something the Jets have been averse to for like 2 decades now as they've always hired DC's with a penchant for the leather helmet football era .

I mean, believe what you want to believe.

In my opinion, the only schools in the Big XII to whom Texas Tech is at a significant disadvantage are Oklahoma and Texas, who are blue bloods.

Heck, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State -- most of these schools are historically beneath Texas Tech. Look at what Mike Leach did at Texas Tech if you want to see what a good coach can accomplish there.

For a good coach at Texas Tech, 4-5 in the Big XII is a down year. You're hoping for 7-2 type seasons. 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, believe what you want to believe.

In my opinion, the only schools in the Big XII to whom Texas Tech is at a significant disadvantage are Oklahoma and Texas, who are blue bloods.

Heck, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State -- most of these schools are historically beneath Texas Tech. Look at what Mike Leach did at Texas Tech if you want to see what a good coach can accomplish there.

For a good coach at Texas Tech, 4-5 in the Big XII is a down year. You're hoping for 7-2 type seasons. 

Door swings both ways. Mahomes was statistically a loser at Texas tech and is now number 1 QB in the universe. 

Different measurements of success in college. 

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m gonna bang the Kingsbury drum into hiring existence.

Pretty impressive in that video. I have been really impressed with video I have seen of Ruhle and Waldron too, they seem to have the right personality for the younger players, though Waldron unfortunately does not seem to be on the radar like early reports suggested.

10 hours ago, Lego My Lageman said:

Nope Nope Nope, another fun coach. Looks like a total D bag as well and not in the authoritative way we might need.

I’m with you. I need an authoritarian in here. Nyc is too tempting. We need a dude that’s going to instill discipline.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Pretty impressive in that video. I have been really impressed with video I have seen of Ruhle and Waldron too, they seem to have the right personality for the younger players, though Waldron unfortunately does not seem to be on the radar like early reports suggested.

He seems like he understands offense and he is detailed oriented. It would never work for him here lol.

7 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I go back years with Tinstar who is a Black man in his 60's.. I wonder if Max knows that??

Well, It would seem that puts his comments in a completely different context. If only he’d prefaced them with something like, “after all the stuff said about Bowles....” it should never have been put out there the way it was though.

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

He really rocked that interview.  Basically told Mac roll the dice don’t play it safe 

I agree with Jamal that Macc would be making a huge mistake by playing it safe and picking the best available whatever. It’s how you get stuck with absolute trash on the payroll while people who draft after your pick end up with good players. I mean coaches.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:51 AM, jack48 said:

this is why you do not listen to players.  they all thought Bowles was great

nobody thought Bowles was great ....Did you expect the players to come out and say our HC Sucks while he was still coaching here ??

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

nobody thought Bowles was great ....Did you expect the players to come out and say our HC Sucks while he was still coaching here ??

there is always the option of saying nothing or not calling him "a great coach."

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Door swings both ways. Mahomes was statistically a loser at Texas tech and is now number 1 QB in the universe. 

Different measurements of success in college. 

Well Mahomes and his offense were all world statistically. They lost because they had no defense.

As head coach Kingsbury is responsible for both the offense and the defense.

If I am a player and liked a candidate for coach I would personally tell the owner.By putting it out there you are hurting the persons chances of being hired.You think the owner is saying to himself all these players like him I should hire him?

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well Mahomes and his offense were all world statistically. They lost because they had no defense.

As head coach Kingsbury is responsible for both the offense and the defense.

No, i don't agree. Nobody in the big12 can play defense. It wasn't simple as Pat scored 48 and the opposition scored 49... I'm propping up KK on a mantle yet, but just saying - it's not as black and white as you illustrated. 

54 minutes ago, jack48 said:

It is a bad look for the team when one of their players chirps about possible coaches

This really comes down to how the team/management handle their players in regards to social media. The world has changed and social media is ingrained in many of today's younger athletes. If the team doesn't want or allow this they need to set the rules and enforce them.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

This really comes down to how the team/management handle their players in regards to social media. The world has changed and social media is ingrained in many of today's younger athletes. If the team doesn't want or allow this they need to set the rules and enforce them.

I agree with you.  But it is still a bad look

Archived