Can you win a Super Bowl with a 22 million dollar WR?

Jetster

Antonio Browns 2019 Cap number is 22 million! 22 Million! Deondre Hopkins? 14 million. 8 million less than Brown. 

I'm starting to wonder if its really worth it to have what many consider THE BEST at his position outside of the QB. Someone already mentioned that the top paid QBs in the league are not even in the playoffs? 

Even if you look at the Texans, right now they can afford Hopkins, Watt & they'll have to pay Clowney huge bucks to keep him & then Watson in 2021. They had better win the Bowl in the next 2 years! 

I'm starting to think the market Bell will not be as large as its been proposed, but if Hopkins is getting 14 million, is it really that crazy to pay bell 15 million? The guy would transform our offense if we solidify the oline and add 1 more decent WR. 

But on the other hand the Patriots have proven RB by committee (all with good hands) is also a winning formula. They have Michel, Burkhead & White all under contract for 9 million COMBINED!

Or should we just sign Coleman & draft another RB? Lot of options for this team on offense. 

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I looked at his cap # today. Thought he was due for 12.6 million and his dead cap # was the 22 million.

Cap hit for the Steelers 22, 18, 19 the next 3 years.  

His salary is 12.6, 11.3 12.5 for the next 3 years.   So if the Jets traded for him that’s what he is owed   

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

22, 18, 19 the next 3 years.  

Those are the cap hits for the Steelers.  If they trade him, they would have to eat his pro-rated signing bonus; new team only assumes salary going forward, which is much more palatable.

I have a tough time believing the Steelers move Brown. They played hardball with Bell and didn’t blink, i don’t see them eating that much dead money to move AB when Ben is the one closer to the end of the road. 

Yep. Once AB recognizes the Steelers aren’t moving him, he’ll have to make the choice whether to try to reconcile with Ben or hold out.

The former will be most likely after a long offseason. Easy to want to take your ball and go home after a long season. When August rolls around and he starts risking game checks, his tune will change.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep. Once AB recognizes the Steelers aren’t moving him, he’ll have to make the choice whether to try to reconcile with Ben or hold out.

The former will be most likely after a long offseason. Easy to want to take your ball and go home after a long season. When August rolls around and he starts risking game checks, his tune will change.

They can’t move him. That dead cap number is bonkers. They’d be paying double his annual salary just to trade him.

Teams have won SBs with great WRs but it doesn't appear to be a strong need.  Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones and Antonio Brown haven't won one (although Jones did come close).  On the other hand, plenty of teams seem to win without a dominant WR.  The Giants won two with Hakeem Nicks and Amani Toomer as their #1 WRs.  Can anyone name the Seahawks #1 WR the year they beat the Broncos?  Hint: He had 66 yards receiving in the game.

I certainly don't think a WR is worth $20MM/year but that's easier to defend if you have a great QB who can make above average WRs look like stars.  

none have done it so far so fair to say No until it happens 

I am not sure a team can win big paying any single player over $25m (hence the fake contract brady gets to hide money under table)

Ravens and Broncos paid players like Flacco and Von Miller  after a Super Bowl win but neither has returned - Seahawks paid Wilson and went back, maybe that counts? Donald or Mack could break the trend this year...

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Antonio Browns 2019 Cap number is 22 million! 22 Million! Deondre Hopkins? 14 million. 8 million less than Brown. 

I'm starting to wonder if its really worth it to have what many consider THE BEST at his position outside of the QB. Someone already mentioned that the top paid QBs in the league are not even in the playoffs? 

Even if you look at the Texans, right now they can afford Hopkins, Watt & they'll have to pay Clowney huge bucks to keep him & then Watson in 2021. They had better win the Bowl in the next 2 years! 

I'm starting to think the market Bell will not be as large as its been proposed, but if Hopkins is getting 14 million, is it really that crazy to pay bell 15 million? The guy would transform our offense if we solidify the oline and add 1 more decent WR. 

But on the other hand the Patriots have proven RB by committee (all with good hands) is also a winning formula. They have Michel, Burkhead & White all under contract for 9 million COMBINED!

Or should we just sign Coleman & draft another RB? Lot of options for this team on offense. 

Brown's cap figure is that high because the Steelers converted his salary to bonus this year to clear cap room for franchising Bell https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763115-antonio-brown-restructures-contract-makes-room-for-leveon-bell-franchise-tag

OUCH

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Teams have won SBs with great WRs but it doesn't appear to be a strong need.  Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones and Antonio Brown haven't won one (although Jones did come close).  On the other hand, plenty of teams seem to win without a dominant WR.  The Giants won two with Hakeem Nicks and Amani Toomer as their #1 WRs.  Can anyone name the Seahawks #1 WR the year they beat the Broncos?  Hint: He had 66 yards receiving in the game.

I certainly don't think a WR is worth $20MM/year but that's easier to defend if you have a great QB who can make above average WRs look like stars.  

It’s poor use of money.  If you have a stud qb you’re better off building the OL (which helps run and pass more than stud wr) and have several wr/te/rb with diverse skill sets.  Having enunwa/Anderson/herndon is better than people realize, but you have to have competent rbs as well.  You don’t need to pay 1 wr $20 million.  It’s more important to keep your qb upright and let him make the talent look competent.

I think you can, I think Brady and the Pats are skewing numbers because of they amount of times they've made the SB. If Brady wasn't taking money under the table I think the Steelers could have been in the SB more than they have been. We are also seeing the explosion of WR contracts the last 5 or so years so the sample size isn't that big yet IMO.

Side note I think Mike Tomlin is one of the worst coaches in the NFL, only reason he has a SB ring is because he won it with the team Cower built.

Teams that are continuously successful seen to have a common trend. Good qb, solid offensive line. They don't typically have the greatest receivers (gronk helps the pats for sure) but giving the qb more time I believe is key, the qb is the decision maker and giving him more time leads to better decisions. That said the nfl has changed a bunch this year alone so who knows what will happen...it could end up next year you can't make the playoffs without an elite middle linebacker.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived