Does our new HC have to call the offensive plays?

nico002

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Seems like all the good offensive coaches do. Is this a requirement? I’m thinking yes.

I'd say no, but only because a good HC will have a good staff that he can count on to allow him to focus on the entire team and delegate marching orders. Having said that it would be nice to have a coach that can take over the O when needed.

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

I'd say no, but only because a good HC will have a good staff that he can count on to allow him to focus on the entire team and delegate marching orders.

But then you lose the hot coordinator and you’re left with someone new calling the offfense..

Just now, nico002 said:

Seems like all the good offensive coaches do. Is this a requirement? I’m thinking yes.

no.  what the hc needs to be able to do is have enough knowledge to know the plays but enough sense to let his oc/dc deal with those parts of the play calling.  he needs to be a strategic thinker and not deal with the nitty gritty on game day.  of course he also have to know when to give his coordinators a boot in the behind when their play calling isn't right or is calling plays into the teeth of the opponent.

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

But then you lose the hot coordinator and you’re left with someone new calling the offfense..

Pipeline... Good organizations seek out and develop talent. Unfortunately, the jets* don't develop talent on or off the field. I've never understood why a team would skimp on coaching both quality and position wise. Start a Jets coaching academy. I'm sure the costs would be a pittance to the jets.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Why even hire an oc then?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I didn’t say I want our HC calling the plays all the time. I said if need be. If OC’s play calling get stale, or if we get a new OC and until that one is ready, our HC wouldn’t be like Bowles or Rex and completely clueless about offense. I want the HC to be able to step in if he had to.

But, even if our HC was calling plays, the OC is still a vital component to gameplanning and offensive system implementation. Plenty of head coaches call plays and still have a coordinator.

Archived