NFL free agents 2019: Jets targets to watch

32EBoozer

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/a3012ff6546419/nfl-rumors-jets-2019-free-agen.html

Good list of potential targets: Who ya' like??

The Jets have about two and a half months until 2019 NFL free agency begins. But since they'll have about $106 million in salary cap space to use -- second-most in the NFL -- it's never too early to examine how they could allocate all that money. Let's examine some of the Jets' potential free agent targets, including Le'Veon Bell, Jadeveon Clowney, and Demarcus Lawrence. 

21a_9f4bell.jpeg
AP Photo

Will Bell be with the Jets in 2019? 

Cowboys DE Demarcus Lawrence

Do the Jets want to address their pass rush problem in free agency or the draft? They have to address it somehow. And they could do a lot worse than Lawrence, who has 25 sacks and 49 quarterback hits over the past two seasons combined, including 10.5 and 23 this year. But will he hit free agency or re-sign with Dallas on a big deal? 

Age at start of 2019 season: 27 

Lions DE Ezekiel Ansah

Age could be an issue for him. He had just four sacks in seven games in 2018 because he couldn't stay healthy. But he had 12 sacks in 2017. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 30

Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney

Former No. 1 overall pick hitting free agency for the first time. He made the Pro Bowl in each of the past three seasons. And he is ascending. His stats this year -- nine sacks, 21 quarterback hits. And last year -- 9.5 and 21. Youth is on his side. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 26

Vikings OLB Anthony Barr

A Pro Bowler in each of the past four seasons. He does a little bit of everything, but he has just 13.5 career sacks. Perhaps the Jets will be looking for an outside linebacker who can be more impactful as a pass rusher. 

Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

The big fish in 2019 free agency. The Jets desperately need to put weapons around promising quarterback Sam Darnold. And signing Bell would be a big step. He has red flags and did sit out the entire 2018 season. But his talents are undeniable -- 2,559 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns from 2016-17, plus 1,271 receiving yards and four touchdowns. He accounted for an average of 142 total yards per game (rushing and receiving) over that stretch. Pretty impressive. And he appears to be in his prime. 

Saints RB Mark Ingram

A fall-back option in case the Jets don't land Bell. He isn't nearly as good. But perhaps the Jets can pair him with Isaiah Crowell and make a competent backfield, presuming they upgrade their offensive line. Ingram had a big season in 2017 -- 1,124 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, plus 416 receiving yards. But in 2018, he had just 645 rushing yards and six touchdowns, plus 170 receiving yards. He's also not that young anymore. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 29

Falcons RB Tevin Coleman

A complementary back who has an age -- but not resume -- advantage on Ingram. Coleman is coming off his most productive season -- 1,076 total yards and nine touchdowns, compared to 927 and eight in 2017. He ran for 4.8 yards per carry in 2018. Not too shabby. 

Titans OG Quinton Spain

It's tough to address offensive line needs in free agency, especially at tackle. But the Jets surely will let left guard James Carpenter walk in free agency. So they'll need to replace him. Maybe they can keep center Spencer Long at left guard, and either sign a new center or have Jonotthan Harrison stay there. But if they want to get a guard in free agency, Spain is an option. And he has started 48 NFL games at left guard. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 28

Buccaneers WR Adam Humphries

The Jets need a No. 1 receiver, but they won't be able to get one in free agency this year. If they want another complementary receiver to replace Jermaine Kearse (who is surely a goner in free agency), they could look at Humphries, who is coming off the best season of his career -- 816 yards and five touchdowns. Not bad for an undrafted guy 

Eagles WR Golden Tate

He is more proven than Humphries, but also older. Still, pretty good stats over the past three seasons -- 795 yards and four touchdowns this season, 1,003 and five in 2017, and 1,077 and four in 2016. Obviously, something of a down year in 2018. And he is aging. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 31

Broncos CB Bradley Roby

Maybe the Jets re-sign Morris Claiborne and they don't need to worry about finding a cornerback to play opposite Trumaine Johnson, who underwhelmed in 2018 but isn't going anywhere. Roby has seven career interceptions and 60 pass breakups in five seasons. He's not great. But the Jets aren't in a position to give huge money to a corner again this offseason. 

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/a3012ff6546419/nfl-rumors-jets-2019-free-agen.html

Good list of potential targets: Who ya' like??

The Jets have about two and a half months until 2019 NFL free agency begins. But since they'll have about $106 million in salary cap space to use -- second-most in the NFL -- it's never too early to examine how they could allocate all that money. Let's examine some of the Jets' potential free agent targets, including Le'Veon Bell, Jadeveon Clowney, and Demarcus Lawrence. 

21a_9f4bell.jpeg
AP Photo

Will Bell be with the Jets in 2019? 

Cowboys DE Demarcus Lawrence

Do the Jets want to address their pass rush problem in free agency or the draft? They have to address it somehow. And they could do a lot worse than Lawrence, who has 25 sacks and 49 quarterback hits over the past two seasons combined, including 10.5 and 23 this year. But will he hit free agency or re-sign with Dallas on a big deal? 

Lions DE Ezekiel Ansah

Age could be an issue for him. He had just four sacks in seven games in 2018 because he couldn't stay healthy. But he had 12 sacks in 2017. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 30

Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney

Former No. 1 overall pick hitting free agency for the first time. He made the Pro Bowl in each of the past three seasons. And he is ascending. His stats this year -- nine sacks, 21 quarterback hits. And last year -- 9.5 and 21. Youth is on his side. 

Vikings OLB Anthony Barr

A Pro Bowler in each of the past four seasons. He does a little bit of everything, but he has just 13.5 career sacks. Perhaps the Jets will be looking for an outside linebacker who can be more impactful as a pass rusher. 

Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

The big fish in 2019 free agency. The Jets desperately need to put weapons around promising quarterback Sam Darnold. And signing Bell would be a big step. He has red flags and did sit out the entire 2018 season. But his talents are undeniable -- 2,559 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns from 2016-17, plus 1,271 receiving yards and four touchdowns. He accounted for an average of 142 total yards per game (rushing and receiving) over that stretch. Pretty impressive. And he appears to be in his prime. 

Saints RB Mark Ingram

A fall-back option in case the Jets don't land Bell. He isn't nearly as good. But perhaps the Jets can pair him with Isaiah Crowell and make a competent backfield, presuming they upgrade their offensive line. Ingram had a big season in 2017 -- 1,124 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, plus 416 receiving yards. But in 2018, he had just 645 rushing yards and six touchdowns, plus 170 receiving yards. He's also not that young anymore. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 29

Falcons RB Tevin Coleman

A complementary back who has an age -- but not resume -- advantage on Ingram. Coleman is coming off his most productive season -- 1,076 total yards and nine touchdowns, compared to 927 and eight in 2017. He ran for 4.8 yards per carry in 2018. Not too shabby. 

Titans OG Quinton Spain

It's tough to address offensive line needs in free agency, especially at tackle. But the Jets surely will let left guard James Carpenter walk in free agency. So they'll need to replace him. Maybe they can keep center Spencer Long at left guard, and either sign a new center or have Jonotthan Harrison stay there. But if they want to get a guard in free agency, Spain is an option. And he has started 48 NFL games at left guard. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 28

Buccaneers WR Adam Humphries

The Jets need a No. 1 receiver, but they won't be able to get one in free agency this year. If they want another complementary receiver to replace Jermaine Kearse (who is surely a goner in free agency), they could look at Humphries, who is coming off the best season of his career -- 816 yards and five touchdowns. Not bad for an undrafted guy 

Eagles WR Golden Tate

He is more proven than Humphries, but also older. Still, pretty good stats over the past three seasons -- 795 yards and four touchdowns this season, 1,003 and five in 2017, and 1,077 and four in 2016. Obviously, something of a down year in 2018. And he is aging. 

Age at start of 2019 season: 31

Broncos CB Bradley Roby

Maybe the Jets re-sign Morris Claiborne and they don't need to worry about finding a cornerback to play opposite Trumaine Johnson, who underwhelmed in 2018 but isn't going anywhere. Roby has seven career interceptions and 60 pass breakups in five seasons. He's not great. But the Jets aren't in a position to give huge money to a corner again this offseason. 

Pretty lazy effort by Darryl Slater here. He just picked out some big names and threw them on a list. How do you leave out guys like Grady Jarrett and Mitch Morse?

I think the Free Agent list is important but it's more important to figure out which players may be too pricey for their current teams or which players are on teams ready to move in another direction. 

The Vikings, thanks to Cousins, may be in a position where they need to trade a good player. 

The Jags look ready to rebuild and could make some quality players available. 

Obviously the Steelers may looking to move on from AB. 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Pretty lazy effort by Darryl Slater here. He just picked out some big names and threw them on a list. How do you leave out guys like Grady Jarrett and Mitch Morse?

Agreed. The Jets need to identify those types of FA who can come in and make a higher impact per/$ than these high priced FA who can't perform up to their contract. Mack has done a good job identifying some of those players. He has S U C K E D ! in getting the Trumane Johnson's of the world to play up to their contract.

if clowney actually hits the market, then yea they have to make a huge push for him, but i highly doubt the likes of clowny, lawrence or dee ford will hit the market.   I would actually really like anthony barr if he hits the market, i think he would be a really nice piece to add. 

I also think Fowler will be a big target for Mac who loved him in the draft and tried trading for him before.  Shaq barret and Shane Ray on the broncos should hit the market too and I think would be really good signings to see what you can get out of them.  

Offensive line can really be beefed up this offseason if we want.  Paradis is a really good run blocking center, and there are some pretty decent guards available.  Carpenter is definitely gone, and I have a feeling either long or winters is going to get the boot too.  Shell will be healthy for OTAs so no need to worry there, and he's probably been our best lineman.  I have a feeling beachum will be here next year as well. So jets will be looking to add a G and C  or 2 G in the offseason.  Even if we sign some in FA i think we take a few in the draft since its a deep draft for OL. 

I look at that list and I see overpriced, overrated, won't help Sam Darnolds, part-time contributors...

Except for one player...

Le'Veon Bell.  He will only be overpriced. 

As for the rest?  Meh... maybe... AFTER signing Le'V if there is money left over.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I look at that list and I see overpriced, overrated, won't help Sam Darnolds, part-time contributors...

Except for one player...

As for the rest?  Meh... maybe... AFTER signing Le'V if there is money left over.

Funny your description actually applies to bell

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Matt Paradis, Trent Brown, Pierre Desir, I’d even give Dante Fowler an offer IF we also drafted Allen

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Funny your description actually applies to bell

Overrated is still a difficult question to answer. Yes, Pitt has a great OL as evidenced by Connor's success and even the kid who filled in for Conner. However, the moves Bell has in the open field cannot be questioned nor his ability as a pass catcher.

The other question about Bell is whether he is a selfish player and will get lazy after his pay day?

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I look at that list and I see  overpriced, overrated, won't help Sam Darnolds, part-time contributors...

Except for one player...

Only one OL on the whole list. Only one huh?   Ok then... I guess we have to throw the bank at him then  lol 

I would like Paradis at minimum in FA. Long can stay at guard as he was pretty good there. Going in to camp with that being his known spot would be a positive. I'd like to sign at least 3 OL guys this offseason and draft 2-3 more. Get a couple more in UDFA too.

It's the main concern as I see it. We need other positions of course, but an O line makes everything better. An extra 2 seconds for Sam and gaping holes for the RB's to run through change the whole game. Crowell, a FA(bell?) Cannon and Hopefully Powell making first contact at the second level would immediately make us competitors from the Offensive side of the ball. Instant upgrade.

It's all about the O line!!!! 

Tired of seeing Golden Tates name on these lists..  He has very pedestrian stats for a pass heavy offense and is 30+.  Let someone else make the mistake of overpaying him for being one of the "top rated" WR's available.  That would be a terrible move.

I'd rather spend about a 3rd of the money for a guy like Eli Rogers who is coming back from injury and could surprise.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Le’Veon Bell, Adam Humphries, Matt Paradis, Trent Brown, Anthony Barr, Jadeveon Clowney. 

Ok thanks Macc.

Trent brown is 6' 8 1/2 "   

an Darnold throw over that guy?  lol   Or does everything bounce off of the back of his head?  

I cant deny Bells talent but I want him nowhere near this team. Hes not a team first player and only gives a ^#*^ about his stat line and his bank account balance. Guys like him and Antonio Brown are cancers to locker rooms. RBs are a dime a dozen too. The game is won in the trenches, and if we properly address the line that will have positive effects on Sam's play AND w.e RB we have playing. TEAM FIRST ONLY !!

Slater is the king of low hanging fruit. "let's talk about a certain FA who might be on the Jets FA radar.... L. Bell!..."

Thanks, Darryl. What's next, an article about a "new" QB named Pat Mahomes?

If i see Coleman or Ansah's name attached to NYJ - ima puke.  

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Le’Veon Bell, Adam Humphries, Matt Paradis, Trent Brown, Anthony Barr, Jadeveon Clowney. 

Ok thanks Macc.

Thank you for not saying... Ezekiel Ansah .. no coleman either

I don't know what anyone would want to sign him as a priority.

Just now, Paradis said:

Slater is the king of low hanging fruit. "let's talk about a certain FA who might be on the Jets FA radar.... L. Bell!..."

ha... posting at the same time... we are on the same page.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Tired of seeing Golden Tates name on these lists..  He has very pedestrian stats for a pass heavy offense and is 30+.  Let someone else make the mistake of overpaying him for being one of the "top rated" WR's available.  That would be a terrible move.

I'd rather spend about a 3rd of the money for a guy like Eli Rogers who is coming back from injury and could surprise.

Sign Terrell Pryor!  He'd come cheap!   ;-)

1 minute ago, Ohhthepain said:

I cant deny Bells talent but I want him nowhere near this team. Hes not a team first player and only gives a ^#*^ about his stat line and his bank account balance. Guys like him and Antonio Brown are cancers to locker rooms. RBs are a dime a dozen too. If we properly address the line that will have positive effects on Sam's play AND w.e RB we have playing. TEAM FIRST ONLY !!

Bullsh*t. The guy is a running back and players at his position get thrown in the trash after their rookie contracts. He deserves his cut as much as anyone else does. He’s making sure he gets compensated for his worth even if that means conserving the tread on the tires and doing what’s best for him . He gets run into the ground every year.(350 touches) What happens when he plays and breaks his leg — never seeing that Top RB money? He deserves his cash. The Steelers tried to play him and give him half of what he is worth. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Slater is one of the worst writers ever.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bullsh*t. The guy is a running back and players at his position get thrown in the trash after their rookie contracts. He deserves his cut as much as anyone else does. He’s making sure he gets compensated for his worth even if that means conserving the tread on the tires and doing what’s best for him . He gets run into the ground every year.(350 touches) What happens when he plays and breaks his leg — never seeing that Top RB money? He deserves his cash. The Steelers tried to play him and give him half of what he is worth. 

No thanks.  We can get similar production for a fraction of the cost. A lot less headaches too. 

I’d rather spend half the money that they’d have to fork over to Bell and pick up someone like Latavius Murray and a starting receiver. Murray is a little older than Bell and a lot less mileage. I just don’t see Bell coming to the Jets. Also, Denver has a glut of RBs. I’d find out the asking price on Booker since Lindsay and Freeman are the top two guys there. 

9 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

I cant deny Bells talent but I want him nowhere near this team. Hes not a team first player and only gives a ^#*^ about his stat line and his bank account balance. Guys like him and Antonio Brown are cancers to locker rooms. RBs are a dime a dozen too. The game is won in the trenches, and if we properly address the line that will have positive effects on Sam's play AND w.e RB we have playing. TEAM FIRST ONLY !!

Proof of any of this?  Which players at skill positions dont think about their stat line?  I mean if hes leading the league rushing for us, i'll be thrilled that it makes him happy. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No you cant, keep telling yourself that.  Didnt work that way for Pitt

Actually John Conner put up huge numbers behind that OL. Even when he missed two games the 3rd string TE/RB ran the ball very well. Not denying Bells physical talent but that OL with Pouncey, Decastro and Villanueva make good backs great

RB - Coleman

C - Paradis/Linder - Jags are in cap trouble, they'll have bodies to cut and would love to snag Linder if he shakes loose

EDGE - Clowney/Lawerence/Barr/Ford/Fowler/Ray (would love to get 2)

LT - Brown (if let go)

WR - Humphries

If it doesn't look like many of these players will be within reach then I'm fine with throwing money at Bell

I would look to roll into the draft looking to trade down if possible, if we need to sit at #3 then Bosa/Williams/Allen will be the pick

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Actually John Conner put up huge numbers behind that OL. Even when he missed two games the 3rd string TE/RB ran the ball very well. Not denying Bells physical talent but that OL with Pouncey, Decastro and Villanueva make good backs great

Steelers had the lowers rushing yardage per game, they didnt run it well.  And when Conner was effective he still wasnt Bell

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Remember he walked away from 13.5 Million dollars.  That is not chump change.  Last  year he was franchised and was paid the average  of the 5 highest paid backs in the league.  His stats say he was better than that, but he wasn't actually working for free. The rest of your post is true.  However I think he  should have played this year for the money,  not blown up his reputation, and walked away after the season.  The way he handled it did not help him.  Cost him a lot of money, and a year of his prime.  And for what, pride?  Not smart.

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Remember he walked away from 13.5 Million dollars.  That is not chump change.  Last  year he was franchised and was paid the average  of the 5 highest paid backs in the league.  His stats say he was better than that, but he wasn't actually working for free. The rest of your post is true.  However I think he  should have played this year for the money,  not blown up his reputation, and walked away after the season.  The way he handled it did not help him.  Cost him a lot of money, and a year of his prime.  And for what, pride?  Not smart.

Leo is scheduled to make 14 million in 2018. Bell or Leo? I'd take Bell 10 times out of 10.

Archived