Connor Hughes: "Heard #Jets really, really like Rhule."

Jetsbb

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Connor “heard” that from that Graziano tweet. 

No he was responding to the Graziano tweet. Very different from reporting interest of an interview which is no different than the other 7 candidates to what Conor said.

10 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

He is some christian preacher

I read he had his minister father doing "voluntary" bible studies for players and coaches at Temple and Baylor.  The athletes chose to attend Temple.  Baylor is a private Christian University. 

Most of the Jets are drafted.  They did not choose the franchise, and were not recruited by this guy. 

Am I allowed to be uncomfortable with this on JetNation publicly, or is it out of bounds?

7 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

No he was responding to the Graziano tweet. Very different from reporting interest of an interview which is no different than the other 7 candidates to what Conor said.

Can you point me to a story where Connor Hughes “reported” new information and not just some trash he skimmed through while sitting on his couch? Thx in advance for ur hlp 

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I read he had his minister father doing "voluntary" bible studies for players and coaches at Temple and Baylor.  The athletes chose to attend Temple.  Baylor is a private Christian University. 

Most of the Jets are drafted.  They did not choose the franchise, and were not recruited by this guy. 

Am I allowed to be uncomfortable with this on JetNation publicly, or is it out of bounds?

Add me to the uncomfortable list. Not sure how that flys here anyway 

I'm very high on Rhule.

Turned around 2 college programs in Temple and Baylor that were left for dead. Not to mention he has NY ties as he was on the Giants coaching staff, so he's a Tom Coughlin disciple. Also coached Robby Anderson at Temple, so a reunion there definitely wouldn't hurt.

Not saying he should be be the top choice, but he would definitely be a good choice IMO

They were discussing on WFAN yesterday about all the leaks in the building at the Jets and how they weren't happy about it... with all of these different names surfacing are they really interested in all of these guys or could they be phishing... Tell each person under you a different name and see how soon that surfaces in the news...

Otherwise there is still a big leak there...or maybe just fake news...

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Add me to the uncomfortable list. Not sure how that flys here anyway 

My post was treading lightly.  The truth is I don't like it all.   I think the Jets can find a good football coach that doesn't find it necessary to intertwine his overzealous religious beliefs into the organization.

I have been researching Rhule since Manish mentioned him the others day.  I mean I was relatively familiar with him, but didn't know very much other than he was at Temple and now Baylor and rebuilt each program.

I have to say, he's officially my #1 choice.  Basically all the football people I read that I value, they all think he's outstanding and would be in the NFL.

Some of the things that really made my interest grow in Rhule is he has a background in all 3 phases as a coach.  That is extremely unique.  

He also seems to be able to connect with people from all walks off life.  That certainly is important in an NFL locker room.  He is raved about as a leader.

The last thing and maybe the most important thing is he is hard on his players but love him.  An example I read is that he kicked his entire 1st team offense out of practice once because "they didn't want to be coached" that day.  That's what this team needs.  Accountability.

I'm all in here.  My official choice.  Hopefully it actually turns into an interview and then a hire.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have been researching Rhule since Manish mentioned him the others day.  I mean I was relatively familiar with him, but didn't know very much other than he was at Temple and now Baylor and rebuilt each program.

I have to say, he's officially my #1 choice.  Basically all the football people I read that I value, they all think he's outstanding and would be in the NFL.

Some of the things that really made my interest grow in Rhule is he has a background in all 3 phases as a coach.  That is extremely unique.  

He also seems to be able to connect with people from all walks off life.  That certainly is important in an NFL locker room.  He is raved about as a leader.

The last thing and maybe the most important thing is he is hard on his players but love him.  An example I read is that he kicked his entire 1st team offense out of practice once because "they didn't want to be coached" that day.  That's what this team needs.  Accountability.

I'm all in here.  My official choice.  Hopefully it actually turns into an interview and then a hire.

If he did that here, I think he'd only care if two of them came back tomorrow.?

I approve too. Glad the Jets seem to be gravitating toward strong leaders. First Campbell, then Bieniemy and now Rhule. Football knowledge is clearly the prime requisite for the job, but you're not getting diddly-poo (copyright, Jim Mora) done without being a leader...more importantly, someone who can impart a culture change which is SORELY needed here.  This guy is well-spoken, with a bright football mind, and he's turned around troubled college programs already. With a little bit of veteran help from his coach staff, Rhule could be an awesome choice.

My post was treading lightly.  The truth is I don't like it all.   I think the Jets can find a good football coach that doesn't find it necessary to intertwine his overzealous religious beliefs into the organization.
Unless I'm not understanding you, HC's need to be an atheist?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I like Rhule. 2 additional interesting things about him

1) He grew up in NYC as a kid, then moved to PA. He knows the area well. 

2) He was Robby Anderson's college coach. I wonder if the team asked Anderson for feedback on Rhule (and would the team even care given Anderson's history). 

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can you point me to a story where Connor Hughes “reported” new information and not just some trash he skimmed through while sitting on his couch? Thx in advance for ur hlp 

Now its open season on, Connor Hughes?

Have you no shame?  Who's next, Tom Hanks?

36 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand your concern, but the posted video is of him speaking at a Christian conference, so he is obviously going to discuss Christianity. This doesn't mean that he is going to try to shove his religious views don't the throats of professional athletes (if he did, it would not go over too well). 

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I always respect what you say, Iowa. You make some really good points.  The all three phases being the best of the bunch in this post. 

Hard for me to argue in a technical sense.  He probably is a very good football coach.   My issue with Rhule is mostly emotional. 

The only technical argument is what players exactly love him?  What players find him to be a leader?  Players that voluntarily chose to attend a private Christian University in Texas?   Seem to be pretty likely candidates to buy his messages.  The Temple situation is a little more puzzling, granted.  But he did recruit at least some of those players.

I am not going to sugar coat this.   Employees of the New York Jets,  in a way, represent the fan base. The Head Coach especially.  We didnt like it when Rex acted like a buffoon. We didn't like it when Elliot Pellman became the poster boy for NFL concussion cover-up.  We didn't like it when Isaiah Crowell wiped his ass with the ball on TNF.  

A Head Coach that wants to double as Joel Osteen does not represent me... nor many other Jets fans.  

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I like Rhule. 2 additional interesting things about him

1) He grew up in NYC as a kid, then moved to PA. He knows the area well. 

2) He was Robby Anderson's college coach. I wonder if the team asked Anderson for feedback on Rhule (and would the team even care given Anderson's history). 

Lol, I am sure they drilled Anderson on Rhule for a while. Hes a very intriguing candidate. I think the team might respond to him and he is exceedingly balanced as a coach. Maybe we get a Ruhle/Kingsbury combo.

34 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Thanks. I stopped watching 30 seconds in when I got the "preacher" vibe. Uncomfortable is the right word.

4 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Here is something that was said on Colin Cowherd's show.  You don't want a developing HC trying to develop your developing QB.  Makes sense, but I can see the other side as well.

Was he referring to Sean mcvay with Goff or Matt nagy with trubisky? 

Personally I don't believe in rules, one way or the other. The right coach is the right coach whether it's his first head coaching gig or 3rd.

12 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Unless I'm not understanding you, HC's need to be an atheist?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

No.  You're not understanding me.   I didn't care what Bowles was.  Didn't care what Rex was.  Nor Herm.  Mangini.  Parcells.  Groh.  Kotite.  And on and on.... Did not care what their beliefs were.

But this guy?  Bringing his father in for bible studies?  Yeah... I think it's over the line.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks. I stopped watching 30 seconds in when I got the "preacher" vibe. Uncomfortable is the right word.

Well, that was a video of him speaking in church  - not addressing his team.

Lots of coaches have strong faith. As long as he is not mandating bible study over playbook study, I don't see a problem.

And that's me speaking as a heathen, destined for the bad fire.

Archived