Gase Red Flag

peekskill68

If he lit into the owner like this down in Miami I'd be shocked if Johnson and Macc consider him...

Adam Gase checks Jets’ boxes but comes with big red flag

January 4, 2019 | 8:56pm

Modal Trigger
Adam Gase
Adam Gase

A week ago, Adam Gase was preparing for an AFC East game. On Friday, he interviewed for a new job in the division.

The Jets interviewed the former Dolphins coach Friday, the second known interview by the team for their head-coaching opening.

Gase, 40, is an interesting candidate. When Miami hired him in 2016, he was one of the hottest names on the coaching market. After one playoff season and two losing seasons in South Florida, Gase was fired last week after a blowout loss to the Bills and now is trying to get another job. He also interviewed with the Cardinals and reportedly will interview with the Packers.

So is he a fit for the Jets?

He fills the bill in terms of being an offensive coach, viewed as a plus for the Jets in this search as they try to find someone to develop quarterback Sam Darnold. Gase got his start as a graduate assistant under Nick Saban at LSU. He became a quarterbacks coach for the Lions in 2007, learning under offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

“He is very, very bright,” Martz, the former Rams head coach, said Friday. “He has terrific leadership. I think he’s mature beyond his years. I think he has a very engaging personality. I give him high marks in everything.”

Gase has drawn praise for his work with the Broncos as their quarterbacks coach tutoring Tim Tebow in 2011 and as offensive coordinator with Peyton Manning and a record-setting attack in 2013 and 2014.

Gase also has experience, something the Jets have not made a prerequisite, but which CEO Christopher Johnson said could not hurt. People who know him describe him as confident and as someone who won’t pull any punches.

The biggest question with Gase is what happened in Miami. The Dolphins thought they had their new Don Shula in 2016, when the Dolphins made the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

“I don’t know what happened in Miami,” Martz said. “I know he had some injuries and that’s tough. I’ve been through that myself. I don’t think any of that is an indictment on him nor the organization. It’s just kind of luck more than anything else.”

But Dolphins insiders said things went bad as Gase got power hungry after owner Stephen Ross gave him control over the roster. Gase grew overconfident after early success in Miami on top of what he had done in Denver as the offensive coordinator. The Miami Herald reported this week Gase clashed with Ross over personnel moves. The Herald report states that following the 2016 season, Gase, who had been given leave by Ross to tinker with the roster, decided to go cheap on offense and spend on defense. Ross pointed out the team needed to fill holes at guard, and Gase yelled at Ross about knowing more about football than the owner did. The Herald report quotes sources saying a club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to Ross like that.

If the Jets hire Gase, he will not have control over the roster. Johnson has made it clear general manger Mike Maccagnan will retain control over personnel.

Maybe Gase will be chastened after his experience in Miami and figure out how to deal with people better in his second shot at being a head coach.

Those who have watched him say there is no question about his offensive mind. Some people try to discredit what he did in 2013 with the Broncos because of Manning’s presence, but an NFL-record 606 points is impressive no matter who the quarterback is. He also did well in 2015 with the Bears, when quarterback Jay Cutler threw a career-low 11 interceptions, down from 18 the year before. Cutler also posted a career-high 92.3 rating.

Gase was unable to get Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill playing at a high level, but injuries contributed to that. Tannehill missed 24 games over the past three years. The Dolphins went 6-10 and 7-9 in the past two years under Gase.

Darnold also has a much higher ceiling than Tannehill. Will Gase be the one the Jets trust to help him hit it?

Hard pass on Gase.

I was, initially, intrigued at the prospect of Gase wrestling some of the personnel control away from Macc until I read this particular sentence:

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

But Dolphins insiders said things went bad as Gase got power hungry after owner Stephen Ross gave him control over the roster. Gase grew overconfident after early success in Miami on top of what he had done in Denver as the offensive coordinator. The Miami Herald reported this week Gase clashed with Ross over personnel moves. The Herald report states that following the 2016 season, Gase, who had been given leave by Ross to tinker with the roster, decided to go cheap on offense and spend on defense. Ross pointed out the team needed to fill holes at guard, and Gase yelled at Ross about knowing more about football than the owner did. The Herald report quotes sources saying a club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to Ross like that.

Sounds like exactly what Macc has been doing for the past 3 years, and the last thing we need is for Macc to get another scapegoat.

"But... but... I think you guys are underestimating just how much influence Bowles had over the roster and the draft!"

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

That is hilarious.

Not seeing the red flag.  They disagreed on a couple of personnel moves? I buy that.  Gase yelled at the owner, his boss? That he knows more than him?  I know he does but I'm not buying that part of it.  I do believe that Ross is an idiot

Gase is a legitimate candidate. Nothing would piss off Dolphin fans more than having Gase come to the Jets and become successful. He sure had the Jets number past few years and he beat the Pats. Is he cocky - maybe. Maybe that’s what we need. This guy is gonna be a success somewhere sooner or later. Will it be with the Jets? Maybe?

4 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Gase is a legitimate candidate. Nothing would piss off Dolphin fans more than having Gase come to the Jets and become successful. He sure had the Jets number past few years and he beat the Pats. Is he cocky - maybe. Maybe that’s what we need. This guy is gonna be a success somewhere sooner or later. Will it be with the Jets? Maybe?

Uh, no.  Fought with the team, owner, press, his wife, the butcher, the baker, the friggin candlestick maker. He is a legitimate douche.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not seeing the red flag.  They disagreed on a couple of personnel moves? I buy that.  Gase yelled at the owner, his boss? That he knows more than him?  I know he does but I'm not buying that part of it.  I do believe that Ross is an idiot

Yeah, for me, the red flag isn't the fact that he yelled at Ross. In fact, just the image of him yelling at Chris Johnson, slapping a moccachino out of Macc's hands, and calling them both morons who don't know anything about football would almost be worth his hire alone. What I didn't like was -- according to the article -- that the moment he got more control over the personnel he immediately began to ignore the offense and focus on defense. I think we've seen enough of that sh*t here in New York for, I don't know, decades now.

And, for the record, I'm being 100% serious in this post.

7 hours ago, Nixhead said:

If he was still successful yes but at the moment they’re rolling on the ground laughing. 

Part of being a HC in the NFL is dealing diplomatically with meddling owners. It's part of the job even though Gase was right in that he knows 1000 times more about football than the owner. But while you sometimes can get away with being an arrogant p to the underlings you can't get away doing that to the boss. All of these owners are ego maniacs and the NFL franchise is the fun part of their holdings. They demand to be involved. We've seen it with Woody and some of the decisions ascribed to him over the years were bad. So maybe Gase learned from his mistakes and if hired Macc will put him in place before he gets the job and in the contract. You are not in charge of personnel decisions!!

10 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Ross pointed out the team needed to fill holes at guard, and Gase yelled at Ross about knowing more about football than the owner did. The Herald report quotes sources saying a club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to Ross like that.

I actually love this. Shows that he's willing to go toe to toe with the guy who signs his paychecks to win games. Seems like a guy that would hold his players and staff accountable which would be a breathe of fresh air. Might not be the best hire but I think he's catching a lot more flack than he should be.

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, for me, the red flag isn't the fact that he yelled at Ross. In fact, just the image of him yelling at Chris Johnson, slapping a moccachino out of Macc's hands, and calling them both morons who don't know anything about football would almost be worth his hire alone. What I didn't like was -- according to the article -- that the moment he got more control over the personnel he immediately began to ignore the offense and focus on defense. I think we've seen enough of that sh*t here in New York for, I don't know, decades now.

And, for the record, I'm being 100% serious in this post.

Yeah, but I also just dont totally believe that.  I really dont see I guy who is and always has been an guy from the offensive side just decided to ignore the O over the D?  Yeah he didnt get along with Ajai but I dont think hes a slam dunk over anyone, apparently they had issues but he also got rid of Suh.  I just dont care that the person in charge of personnel and anyone dont totally agree all the time.  I would love to know why Ross was involved and was in a position to even get into it with his personnel guy.  

All I know is with all the so called puring of the offense he had a team without a QB, with ridiculous and historically bad QB play in contention until the last week of the season.  Hard to believe what comes out in reporting down here.  Its the worst.  Whenever something doesnt work out or someone doesnt work out they immediately blame that person.  No one in the press was talking about these issues before he was let go

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Dolphins players HATE Gase, didn’t multiple ask for trades if he wasn’t fired?

And the players that supposedly hated him have come out and said its BS.

They always talked highly of him before he was let go.  

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Who’s been a failed HC their first season and then went on to be a success the next year with a different team for the long term? Feel like that never works out but I could be wrong. 

He made the playoffs his first season as HC

The Jets were reticent about firing Todd Bowles for years, largely due to  ,the image that he was a" nice guy". Despite his ineffectiveness and losing record, "good guy Todd" was retained, because of his "reputation and low key" amenable  persona.  Obviously, these are traits that the Jets ownership both value and desire.  What makes anyone think that for their next hire they would seek out a "hothead" with a reputation for discord within his locker room,  acrimony and insubordination towards ownership, and a contentious relationship with virtually everyone in the building.  For Bellicheat, maybe, for this guy, "never gonna happen"

Archived