Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I think it's reasonable to say McCarthy isn't necessarily an exciting candidate, while at the same time being a candidate most shouldn't be upset with if it goes that way.

He'd be the best Jets coach since Parcells by a country mile. Insert jokes about our coaches since then, but the bottom line is McCarthy is a good coach.  Maybe not a great one, or a franchise changing one, and I can appreciate that side of the debate.

I'd be perfectly happy with McCarthy, Rhule or the flyer on Kingsbury. Any one of those three, I will be on board.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Coaching the best qb in the league who somehow slid the #24 and sat behind arguably the greatest qb of all time? Then gets fired for underproducing and  running a stagnant offense with the best qb in the league and a team far more talented than the Jets? Seems like a good fit 

Playoff appearances 9 of 12 years, 4 NFC Championship games and 1 SB. 

Maybe we should send a memo to Sean Peyton to step it up?

1 minute ago, SheaRay said:

Playoff appearances 9 of 12 years, 4 NFC Championship games and 1 SB. 

Maybe we should send a memo to Sean Peyton to step it up?

A very established career I just don't see him replicating the success with our roster/FO/Ownership

46 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Am I alone in not wanting McCarty?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No. I wouldn’t hate the hire. But I wouldn’t love it.

His offense became stale and old. We need to be ahead of the curve, not behind it.

I do think he’d be able to develop Darnold. My concern is the offense would be limited.

Another concern is his coaching staff hires, which have historically been very poor.

We shall see. 

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yup that's all he's ever done in his career.

I'll play, though. So he had NO influence in Aaron Rodger's development you say. Tell me more.

I wouldn't say he had NO influence but I will say that I don't think he had as much as he gets credit for. I don't want other candidates who may mesh better with this roster to be overlooked by Mccarthy who rode the coattails of the best qb in the league and has a good track record from the team he was just fired for. Just seems like a lazy hire to me 

Just now, SR24 said:

I wouldn't say he had NO influence but I will say that I don't think he had as much as he gets credit for. I don't want other candidates who may mesh better with this roster to be overlooked by Mccarthy who rode the coattails of the best qb in the league and has a good track record from the team he was just fired for. Just seems like a lazy hire to me 

So the QB school that McCarthy put him through that had him go from throwing 7 interceptions in 11 on 11’s to 300+ yards and 3 TD’s in the preseason of his young career, has little impact on what he turned out to be?

are we forgetting how terrible his release was? He was not half the prospect that Sam Darnold was coming out of school.

This new HC is a choice we can't afford to get wrong.  Rolling the dice with other guys is too big a risk.

McCarthy is not only a safe choice but he's a Super Bowl winning, 4 time championship game HC that we can look at as our safe choice.

This is a no brainer if we can get him.

The others might turn out to be great coaches but it's simply too big a risk at this time and place for the Jets.

I'm in, mac and a neophyte coach sounds like a debacle in the making.

At a minimum McCarthy will mean Mac is the fall guy should we falter. If Rhule comes in and we lose, Rhule could get Bowlesed. The fact that Mac has Chris Johnsons full confidence given his track record is highly concerning.

Just now, SR24 said:

I still don't get your logic. Name some of the great HC's present and past and they have one thing in common... Great QB play.

Parcells comes to mind as an exception.

There's a guy in KC with a pretty similar resume less a SB win that's doing pretty well with a 2nd year QB.

I'm mixed on the hire. One thing I do know. This team needs coaching competence and someone that can groom Sam. McCarthy checks those boxes.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But you see one of these other guys doing so?

I see Mccarthy coming in here and clashing with the FO and Johnsons. I see Mccarthy wanting things his way and our dumbass FO doing the other causing tension through the ranks.  He's established and has accolades to back him up I just don't see his personality and the Jets way of running an organization meshing well. I could see him and Dorsey doing very well together in Cleveland

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I see Mccarthy coming in here and clashing with the FO and Johnsons. I see Mccarthy wanting things his way and our dumbass FO doing the other causing tension through the ranks.  He's established and has accolades to back him up I just don't see his personality and the Jets way of running an organization meshing well. I could see him and Dorsey doing very well together in Cleveland

What did this guy do to you?? 

He’s never been known for rubbing anyone the wrong way except for that douche, Aaron Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

I still don't get your logic. Name some of the great HC's present and past and they have one thing in common... Great QB play.

Parcells comes to mind as an exception.

There's a guy in KC with a pretty similar resume less a SB win that's doing pretty well with a 2nd year QB.

I'm mixed on the hire. One thing I do know. This team needs coaching competence and someone that can groom Sam. McCarthy checks those boxes.

I'm coming off as ignorant for downplaying his accomplishments you're right he checks the boxes. I just don't see him coming in here and dealing with the constant BS from the ownership and the FO. It's got tension and turmoil written all over it imo he's going to come in here and take orders from and owner who's clueless and work alongside arguably the worst talent evauluator in the league at GM? Just doesn't seem like a good fit

12 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I'd take McCarthy in an instant. However one thing I find interesting that this is the only place I've seen with the majority having a pro McCarthy opinions. 

Pretty much all fanbases of other teams looking for a coach don’t want him. Only 3 teams are interested and he already said no to Arizona. So there’s only mutual interest with Cleveland and NYJ. 

There’s one thing I won’t bet against and that’s Jets fans. We know best.

J    E      T        S ..... JETS JETS JETS. 

If true, McCarthy, the Texas guys and Ravens game tomorrow. Ravens lose tomorrow the John Harbaugh stuff should start next week and Jets should be all in on it. Ravens have to lose Sunday for this to happen.

Kind of important weekend for the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'm coming off as ignorant for downplaying his accomplishments you're right he checks the boxes. I just don't see him coming in here and dealing with the constant BS from the ownership and the FO. It's got tension and turmoil written all over it imo he's going to come in here and take orders from and owner who's clueless and work alongside arguably the worst talent evauluator in the league at GM? Just doesn't seem like a good fit

Let's agree to disagree.

One last question... Would you have this opinion if the Jets were to hire Sean Peyton?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What did this guy do to you?? 

He’s never been known for rubbing anyone the wrong way except for that douche, Aaron Rodgers.

It's more of a knock on our staff/ownership than him lol I just don't see it clicking 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

It's more of a knock on our staff/ownership than him lol I just don't see it clicking 

Understandable. I think he’s better for getting the guys in check rather than a young guy who might goof off with them or someone they might see as one of the guys.

I think his resume will get the players automatic respect and attention.

6 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

They just need to get this right for once that's all I know.

?? We got lucky with the QB. Can we get lucky with the coach? 

The best thing that can happen is that Macc misses on his first choice and backs into a candidate. Whoever that guy is THE GUY. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Understandable. I think he’s better for getting the guys in check rather than a young guy who might goof off with them or someone they might see as one of the guys.

I think his resume will get these guys automatic respect and attention.

I downplayed his accolades which was douchey his system and everything worked for a long time in GB. I just worry the egos of the Johnsons will interfere with the way he wants to run this team, I'd actually be onboard if they gave him roster control but we both know that won't happen. One thing is for sure though, he'll definitely command the respect from the players which is something we could definitely use

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I don’t think Chris Johnson is gonna be walking around giving McCarthy orders. I think if McCarthy is brought on board the Johnsons will be totally hands off. What could the Johnsons say to a coach with 200 games under his belt and years of coaching experience? Johnsons won’t interfere with this guy. 

2 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

Agreed. But he's had Brees all these years and has only 1 SB win to show for it. Riding the coattails of a future HOF QB does not a coaching career make. ?

True but he also still has his job and has coexisted with a future HOF QB. Mccarthy is a good coach but I just don't see it clicking here I don't think the Johnsons and Mac will stay out of his way and let him do his thing

10 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

If true, McCarthy, the Texas guys and Ravens game tomorrow. Ravens lose tomorrow the John Harbaugh stuff should start next week and Jets should be all in on it. Ravens have to lose Sunday for this to happen.

Kind of important weekend for the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm not trading multiple 1st round picks for a coach like the media is suggesting a team would have to do to obtain Harbaugh. Eff that!

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I downplayed his accolades which was douchey his system and everything worked for a long time in GB. I just worry the egos of the Johnsons will interfere with the way he wants to run this team, I'd actually be onboard if they gave him roster control but we both know that won't happen. One thing is for sure though, he'll definitely command the respect from the players which is something we could definitely use

Arizona told him that they would give him full control and he said “No Thanks”. He didn’t want full control. Don’t know if that has to do with McCarthy not wanting full control or if he just didn’t want the Arizona job, because he declined the interview all together.

I’d like to think that he comes in here and recalibrates his system to 2018. Maybe bring in a young guy to help him implement different concepts but he’s definitely the type of guy who is no nonsense but has a good enough personality to click with guys. He’s the man, if any, to make Sam a star. QB guru out of this galaxy.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Is there any reliable information out there if McCarthy already interviewed with the Browns yet? 

It was reported yesterday that the reported meeting that was reported to take place this past Thursday was pushed back to next week. Reportedly.

Archived