Hopefully these are just rumors and the team goes through ALL their
interviews.  Listen to all the candidates, someone may surprise you
with their plan.  In my opinion there's no need to rush, any good offensive
coach wants to work with Darnold

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shevys said:

Pretty much all? You know that how? My best bud is from Chicago, huge Bears fan. Thinks we’re nuts if we let him leave the building without a contract, thinks he’s that good. And he hates the Pack.  

The Bears are not looking for a new coach. Look at polls of fanbases who are looking for a coach.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

After two decades of hiring these hot coordinators I’m ready for a retread approach.

This is the core problem with wanting McCarthy. It is not because he will be a good head coach, it is because he is viewed (wrongly) as the opposite of Bowles and that decision just has less fear than hiring a progressive head coach and risking failure. So you point to his resume, ignoring that he was carried by literally 2 of the Top 10 QBs of all time, and press the I believe button. He was fired for a reason. But it would be so Jetsy to hire this guy. Will be a very sad day because it just means 3 or 4 years of failure, unless Darnold becomes so good he can compensate for the bad coaching.

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Plus a zillion. I still think Monken might be the best fit.

Just keep in mind that no SB winning HC has ever won a SB with another team.  Yeah, yeah, yeah...there's always a first time, law of averages, etc...yada yada yada.  The New York Jets aren't exactly trailblazers when it comes to setting the bar.  We're on a lot of highlight reels...but of the negative nature.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I have to admit I was wrong about the jets job 

I thought the ownership situation and the overall roster and maccagnan status would be big turn offs 

Turns out having a 21 year old QB with size, brains, accuracy, zip, awareness and mobility matters a little more 

I think any past offseason you would be 100 percent correct. However we finally got lucky with a young QB who has all the attributes

2 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Just keep in mind that no SB winning HC has ever won a SB with another team.  Yeah, yeah, yeah...there's always a first time, law of averages, etc...yada yada yada.  The New York Jets aren't exactly trailblazers when it comes to setting the bar.  We're on a lot of highlight reels...but of the negative nature.

None of those teams had Sam.

Obvious speculation, but I'm curious if McCarthy himself wants to interview with the Browns after this sudden love affair with Sam Darnold.

That in itself would be telling...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Disagree.  If you've got your guy in the building and he's expressing interest in the job you sign him.

If he's your #1 target why give the Browns a chance of luring him away? 

2 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I guess the Raiders just threw away 100mm.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

I'm worried about them meddling because Mccarthy has forgotten more about football than they'll ever know. I hate the idea of having someone as established as him coming in and reporting to Chris Johnson lol

Your fears are 100% speculation. We have zero idea what the relationship will look like. I'd also add that the specific concerns you are mentioning would be present with every single candidate brought in. It's not specific to McCarthy. Therefore we can actually remove those fears and go back to comparing coaches to other coaches based on resume. 

It would then boil down to McCarthy being the most experienced and winning candidate available once again. 

Believe a lot of a MaCarthy hire would depend on a possible staff he would present during his interview. I am absolutely sure he has feelers out and could present some real possibility’s. Now are the Jets feeling comfortable with those possibilities?

24 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Looks like I was wrong. I thought the Jets wanted Monken or Kingsbury. I’d still rather swing for the fences with them, then McCarthy. I dont hate McCarthy...but I’m excited about it. I think he peaked as a coach.

Hopefully they get Monken or Kingsbury as an OC/HC in waiting.

Can you explain what you mean by "Swing for the fences" here?

2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Believe a lot of a MaCarthy hire would depend on a possible staff he would present during his interview. I am absolutely sure he has feelers out and could present some real possibility’s. Now are the Jets feeling comfortable with those possibilities?

If the Jets want him as bad as being reported that should be no issue

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's right. This board is so up their own butts, convinced that we need the opposite of Bowles that all they can see is McCarthy's history and not really dispassionately look at what he is and how that meshes with the current NFL. It doesnt in a big way, and if the Jets are dumb enough to hire this dinosaur we will all be discussing the next head coach in 4 years. Worst possible HC hire by a long shot.

Do you know how many people were saying the same thing about Reid when he got fired in Philly?  Pretty much every Eagles fan.

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Disagree.  If you've got your guy in the building and he's expressing interest in the job you sign him.

If he's your #1 target why give the Browns a chance of luring him away? 

Bingo. If he’s their top choice, they need to be aggressive. Sure it’d be nice to see what’s out there but too risky to risk losing your guy. I also worry that he’s coming here to do his due diligence and to drive up his asking price with Cleveland which is why he is going there after us. He may be going there and then picking them.

We need to give our best up front to show him that we really want him or let him leave and plan on someone else. I personally don’t have a preference at this point as officially keeping Mac has changed my outlook on things. 

McCarthy seems like the choice for many or as I say the safe choice of many, but as a longtime NY Jets fan I am intrigued by Kingsbury,Ruhle and Monken younger coaches who bring the unknown. I like McVay and Nagy and there style of play and hope for the same outcome here. 

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

This will be a good hire IF McCarthy is in the process of "freshening up"
his offense.  He's got to be ready to incorporate the college concepts
into his offense and look to hire a staff to implement it.  Joe Philbin
and Ben McAdoo just ain't going to cut it

NOT incorporating the flavor-of-the-minute Minor League Offense is part of why I LIKE the idea of McCarthy.

We don't need to be trendy.  We do not need to run the option. 

We simply need a focus ON the offense, on playcalling, on acquiring offensive talent, and having a smart veteran coach who knows how to run one that works.  Pro-style run+pocket passing offenses still work in the NFL just fine.  We don't need to cut Darnold and trade for RGIII to win games.

Mike Garafolo Twitter.....

I suck at #CrystalFootball but this was a more informed version. I knew coming in the #Jets were hot for Mike McCarthy. I wondered what he thought of them. I hear now he’s feeling it. My prediction is McCarthy will be sticking in Florham Park.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Do you know how many people were saying the same thing about Reid when he got fired in Philly?  Pretty much every Eagles fan.

Different coaches. Different characteristics. Completely irrelevant. My opinion is that McCarthy does not fit the modern NFL. The day of the "system" and conservative coach is over. In game adjustments and strong situation football decisions are critical. connecting with young players is critical, being aggressive and dynamic is critical. McCarthys is none of these. Literally the worst hire we can make. 

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is willing to do that. He is ultra conservative, stubborn and does not adapt. He is the offensive Todd Bowles that had Rodgers as a deodorant.

Yeah i mean it's not like his teams in GB were perennially in the top 10 I'm scoring and yards. Just stop.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This new HC is a choice we can't afford to get wrong.  Rolling the dice with other guys is too big a risk.

McCarthy is not only a safe choice but he's a Super Bowl winning, 4 time championship game HC that we can look at as our safe choice.

This is a no brainer if we can get him.

The others might turn out to be great coaches but it's simply too big a risk at this time and place for the Jets.

Exactly. If we didn't have Sam I would be ok with rolling the dice on 1 of those younger guys. But we have a FQB now and we need stability and McCarthy brings that. Also will make the Jets attractive to free agents etc.

Archived