Report: Steelers have no problem taking 21M$ dead cap hit for trading Brown

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Bell $ credited back will cover more than have of the cap hit and make the hit only 6.5 million.

they are also reportedly expecting toosten To offers for Brown now.

01F6657A-AFE5-414E-99F9-1A7DBDD0767F.jpeg

That should tell you all you need to know.  All that production lost,  at a cost of $21 mil and its still worth it to a team to trade his ass away.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That should tell you all you need to know.  All that production lost,  at a cost of $21 mil and its still worth it to a team to trade his ass away.

If brown isn't going to play with them what choice do they have? Sure they can hold him hostage if they want but that doesn't benefit anyone and creates a toxic situation. They might as well get as much as they can for him and cut their losses.

5 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I wouldn’t touch this guy. 

1.  We need to build through the draft.  Enough wasting picks on trades for guys with baggage and/or in their 30s. 

2.  He’s a headache and locker room issue.  We need leaders not headaches.  

Forget that he’s a malcontent. He is 31 years old when next season starts.

Does anyone expect elite play during his ages 31 and 32 seasons? 

I read somewhere today the Steelers are looking for a 1st round pick. That’s ludicrous. Having said that I’d give them a 4th round pick for him.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If brown isn't going to play with them what choice do they have? Sure they can hold him hostage if they want but that doesn't benefit anyone and creates a toxic situation. They might as well get as much as they can for him and cut their losses.

What does AB have to do with this?  Its not his choice, its not does he want to play for them, its do the want him on their team with his baggage anymore. 

I dont know what losses youre talking about, hes under contract.  He quits and doesnt show theyd dance down the streets, wouldnt have to pay him

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does AB have to do with this?  Its not his choice, its not does he want to play for them, its do the want him on their team with his baggage anymore. 

I dont know what losses youre talking about, hes under contract.  He quits and doesnt show theyd dance down the streets, wouldnt have to pay him

Surely you jest. The Steelers want to trade Brown because he's made it very clear he wants out. 

If he quits they lose one of the best players in the league and get nothing in return. If they trade him, well, obviously they get compensated.

Make no mistake about it, the Steelers would prefer to have Brown catching TDS in a Steelers uniform on Sundays.

This fellow does not know how good it is to have a near or true hof qb throwing to him for 7 or 8 years.  He could always go to a team with bortles or oswieler  like Qbing.  He also does not seem to realize that he has made a lot of plays over the years because his Qb is so hard to sack and can hold the ball for a long time.

So I played golf today, and afterwards, we went for drinks and lunch at a place called Oscars in N. Myrtle Beach. This place is about as popular a Steelers bar as you'll find outside of Pittsburgh. For some reason there are a ton of Ohio and Pitt area people down here. Point is, their fans are so down on Brown, they want him gone, no matter what. Guys were even saying they would want Bell back instead, and he was a pariah to them a week ago.

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Surely you jest. The Steelers want to trade Brown because he's made it very clear he wants out. 

If he quits they lose one of the best players in the league and get nothing in return. If they trade him, well, obviously they get compensated.

Make no mistake about it, the Steelers would prefer to have Brown catching TDS in a Steelers uniform on Sundays.

Clearly what?  Who cares what AB wants, hes under contract.  If he quits he loses all that money, lets see who flinches.  This is the tried and true negotiating tactic that Bell and his agent used.  The Steelers wont let him walk, they get nothing in return.  How'd that turn out? And that was without a $21 Mil savings

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Clearly what?  Who cares what AB wants, hes under contract.  If he quits he loses all that money, lets see who flinches.  This is the tried and true negotiating tactic that Bell and his agent used.  The Steelers wont let him walk, they get nothing in return.  How'd that turn out? And that was without a $21 Mil savings

How'd that turn out?

I don't know, when was the last time the Steelers missed the playoffs? I guess they can try the strategy of continuing to let their best players walk and get nothing in return. I'm thinking it won't work out too well for them.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How'd that turn out?

I don't know, when was the last time the Steelers missed the playoffs? I guess they can try the strategy of continuing to let their best players walk and get nothing in return. I'm thinking it won't work out too well for them.

It turned out just as I said Pitt would handle it with AB only it was Bell.  Playoffs or not.  Not changing the point and spinning around in circles.  You'd sign every douche who because he has talent hes threatening to leave, go for it.  Not here 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It turned out just as I said Pitt would handle it with AB only it was Bell.  Playoffs or not.  Not changing the point and spinning around in circles.  You'd sign every douche who because he has talent hes threatening to leave, go for it.  Not here 

OK, and at some point Pitt is going to look in the mirror and ask themselves what is the cause of the dumpster fire. When multiple people are taking this type of angle you have to wonder why. I thought you were saying Brown has no say in the matter - it's just what the Steelers want. My opinion is that they'd prefer to just keep him but he's forced their hand. Maybe I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK, and at some point Pitt is going to look in the mirror and ask themselves what is the cause of the dumpster fire. When multiple people are taking this type of angle you have to wonder why. I thought you were saying Brown has no say in the matter - it's just what the Steelers want. My opinion is that they'd prefer to just keep him but he's forced their hand. Maybe I'm wrong.

D05D4A47-672E-48C3-A05D-7331188B2EA9.thumb.jpeg.309ee17f5bdc629bd6eea2be1d76ba67.jpeg

20 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

He’s probably the best player at his position and has been for half a decade; will also likely continue to have a difference-making skill set well into his mid-30s,and just lead the NFL in TDs despite all of this drama. 

And yet some people do not want him?!

Lockerroom headache distraction/whatever, he makes soup commercials, is a Madden cover, he is a consistent top-3 fantasy player...and yet he STILL doesn’t threaten to ejaculate on cops’ wives. 

You want to help Sam? Gift him a Goddam seven time probowler! Sheesh

You left out....”quit on his team before a game they needed to win to make it to the playoffs.”

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This fellow does not know how good it is to have a near or true hof qb throwing to him for 7 or 8 years.  He could always go to a team with bortles or oswieler  like Qbing.  He also does not seem to realize that he has made a lot of plays over the years because his Qb is so hard to sack and can hold the ball for a long time.

AB is obviously not the brightest bulb in the room .

If and when the Steelers trade him, the remaining $21 million of unamortized bonus gets charged to Steelers and the team that acquires AB just has to pay the remaining salary for the final 3 years of the contract so long as AB doesn;t demand/hold out for a new contract.  The remaining salary that the new team would be paying:

2019:  $2.5 million roster bonus on March 17 + $12.625 million salary = $15.125 million

2020: $11.3 million salary

2021: $12.5 million salary

I think there will be multiple teams itching to do that.  I just wonder what said teams would be willing to trade to Steelers for that opportunity.  I can't see a 1st round pick, but the Cowboys gave up a first for talent inferior to Brown's (A. Cooper).

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I wouldn’t touch Brown. Go get Mike Evans and Tampa’s 1st round pick. They pick #5 overall.

Mike Evans + Jonah Williams/#5 would be an incredible get.

Everyone keeps saying "Get Evans."  

Is he even on the block?  I haven't read anywhere that they're looking to move him.

I don’t think this is where the Jets should be after 4 years of Mac and a potential 2nd year FQB, but the Jets need all of their premium draft picks to build their team and cannot be trading them away.  

A team missing a piece or two that wants to go for the Super Bowl can trade picks for a veteran missing piece.  The Jets have too many holes.  

They can also take high salaried players, with potentially a pick, to take them off another teams hands.  

But we cannot take these initial mock drafts too seriously.  The QBs will go higher than we think-look at where Trubisky was projected the January that he came out.  Jonah Williams will also go higher-look at well Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramcyzk and the guy from SF.  There are no FA OL,.  

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

You left out....”quit on his team before a game they needed to win to make it to the playoffs.”

And yet, he’s the second all-pro player on that roster to do that and yet a ton of people (myself included) are still clamoring for Bell because of his talent.

What does it say about the lockerroom that multiple pro bowlers would rather forfeit paychecks than play for Big Ben? 

(Sidenote: they still won the game, so it’s not like AB held the team out of the playoffs)

Archived