McCarthy interested in Jets

GaryM

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you get extra points for McKay.  Who BTW has won nothing, so is far from great at this point

Absolutely.  McVay is playing with a very stacked team.  Granted he did an outstanding job turning Goff around who would have busted if Fisher had been his coach a few more years, but lets see him win when it really counts.

Off topic, I think Darnold is already twice the QB Goff is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Technically he was right, McKay and McVay have both won nothing.

As far as I’m concerned NO ONE other than Weeb has won anything for this franchise. Does that mean you omit the brightest candidate for the job because he hasn’t won a SB? I would jump thru a hula hoop for a coach like McVay who has taken the NFL by storm. Is that Rhule or Kingsbury or Gase or any other candidate being seriously considered? Bill Cowher won divisional championship after divisional championship. He had a record of 199-61-1 and didn’t win it all until his 14th year coaching the Steelers. Things take time but as long as it’s heading in the right direction, whoever it is, I’m a happy camper.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Apparently they had a blast. Had dinner the night before, came in and had a interview, stayed a few hours afterwards. 

Lol lock the guy up and let’s get this thing goin.

They showed him film of Bowles screwing up on-field decisions , he smiled and said I can do that , hmm I just might like this job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Absolutely.  McVay is playing with a very stacked team.  Granted he did an outstanding job turning Goff around who would have busted if Fisher had been his coach a few more years, but lets see him win when it really counts.

Off topic, I think Darnold is already twice the QB Goff is.

Actually if the little child would have thought about what I said, I wasn't complaining about his coaching.  Just that you don't get extra points for being your discovery.  I could care less if a second time guy like McCarthy comes here and wins or a first time HC does.  I just want the next HC to win.  

Why I asked do you get extra points. 

Hes a child who'd rather call someone dumb than to read.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Apparently they had a blast. Had dinner the night before, came in and had a interview, stayed a few hours afterwards. 

Lol lock the guy up and let’s get this thing goin.

Yup, the Jets handled it perfecty.  Got to know him, let McCarthy get to know them.  Took them around the area, amazing how many dont realize how nice it is, created the interest, let him sleep on it and then had the football interview.

Guess they're not idiotic morons who dont know what the F' they're doing. 

Imagine that...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yup, the Jats handled it perfect.  Got to know him, let McCarthy get to know them.  Took them around the area, amazing how many dont realize how nice it is, created the interest, let him sleep on it and then had the football interview.

Guess theyre not idiotic morons who dont know what the F theyre doing. 

Imagine that...

They are learning. It beats giving him a dozen cupcakes and asking “please sign”.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just saying there’s no coach “McKay.” It makes no sense. Did you mean Rich McKay, the old Bucs GM

I was thinking John McKay, their 1st head coach.

" we can't win at home .We can't win on the road, and for the life of me I can't figure out where else to play the games"😁

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

McCarthy is a meh coach and would be a meh hire. I just don’t get the appeal of a guy who couldn’t make it work in Green Bay with all that talent. 

He went to the playoffs 9 years out of 12, and won a Superbowl.

I'll take that kind of meh.

Mike McCarthy is the Sam Darnold choice of all the candidates we've read about the Jets will or wanted to interview thus far. 

Kliff Kingsbury is the Baker Mayfield choice.

Matt Rhule is the Josh Allen choice.

Kris Richard is the Josh Rosen choice.

Eric Bieniemy is the Lamar Jackson choice.

Todd Monken is the Mason Rudolph choice.

I want McCarthy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike McCarthy is the Sam Darnold choice of all the candidates we've read about the Jets will or wanted to interview thus far. 

Kliff Kingsbury is the Baker Mayfield choice.

Matt Rhule is the Josh Allen choice.

Kris Richard is the Josh Rosen choice.

Eric Bieniemy is the Lamar Jackson choice.

I want McCarthy.

McCarthy- HC & disciplinarian.

KK- OC, who will be allowed to run "his" offense.

Richard- DC, light a fire on the "D"

Boyer- ST,  build on what he did for the unit in 2018.

"according to someone familiar with his thinking"

So who could this be and why would it be leaked? McCarthy is familiar with his thinking, obviously. His agent is. His wife. The Jets probably have some idea. Probably not a lot more people other than maybe some close friends.

Why would it be leaked? 

• He or his agent would leak it for the purposes of negotiating leverage against another team.
  • His wife would have no reason.
  • His close friends maybe could have some financial gain if a reporter offered money for a scoop, but doubtful.
  • The Jets would leak it ... I'm having a hard time with that one. Good publicity? Doesn't really make much sense to me why the Jets would leak it. Maybe they just don't have any reason to not share there feeling and a reporter asked them, but if that were the case there'd be no reason to keep it as an anonymous "someone familiar with his thinking" source.

I think the most likely scenario here is his agent is leaking this information as a negotiating tactic to get the most money out of another team. I hate to say it because I think he's the best candidate but that's what this seems like to me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

McCarthy- HC & disciplinarian.

KK- OC, who will be allowed to run "his" offense.

Richard- DC, light a fire on the "D"

Boyer- ST,  build on what he did for the unit in 2018.

I want Boyer back for sure. I hope whoever we hire brings him back. Another poster pointed out if we hire McCarthy he'll likely keep Kevin Greene, who has a history with him in Green Bay. Maybe Kevin Greene will get promoted to DC if we hire McCarthy. I like your thinking though. It all depends on who works well together.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

McCarthy might be using the Jets to drive up his price.

Could he be using the Browns in the same manor. McCarthy is the only one that knows for sure. Too MAC credit he has in the past stepped away did not get into a bidding war with Chicago and way way overpay .

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So who could this be and why would it be leaked? McCarthy is familiar with his thinking, obviously. His agent is. His wife. The Jets probably have some idea. Probably not a lot more people other than maybe some close friends.

Why would it be leaked? 

• He or his agent would leak it for the purposes of negotiating leverage against another team.
  • His close friends maybe could have some financial gain if a reporter offered money for a scoop, but doubtful.
  • The Jets would leak it ... I'm having a hard time with that one. Good publicity? Doesn't really make much sense to me why the Jets would leak it. Maybe they just don't have any reason to not share there feeling and a reporter asked them, but if that were the case there'd be no reason to keep it as an anonymous "someone familiar with his thinking" source.

I think the most likely scenario here is his agent is leaking this information as a negotiating tactic to get the most money out of another team. I hate to say it because I think he's the best candidate but that's what this seems like to me.

ESPN has taken a lot of heat for the completely baseless story line of the Anthony Davis trade that nobody is discussing, so journalism in sports comes with air quotes, but to refer to a source that doesn't exist and totally making up a story is pretty far out. Normally with no source they just speculate and you see them use lots of weasel words like... Possibly... Might.... Potentially..... 

The most likely explanation is his agent speaking to the Browns via the media 

If you don't have an actual offer to shop around then you create the fear of loss through interest 

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why would it be leaked? 

I said that earlier too. It definitely seems like a leverage move to get more from Cleveland. The thread title is deceptive, its not really that he is interested more that he is more interested than expected. 

18 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

If six division titles is not making it work, sign me up.

I still say no one has stated anything concrete about why McCarthy would be a successful coach here other than he was successful before and he is not a first time HC. It's like this board is so traumatized by our last few first time head coaches that the only thing they care about is hiring a retread.

12 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Could he be using the Browns in the same manor. McCarthy is the only one that knows for sure. Too MAC credit he has in the past stepped away did not get into a bidding war with Chicago and way way overpay .

Not for nothing but I hope we don’t step away and are the ones who overpay if there is a bidding war for a good coach.  Doesn’t count against the cap so who cares. 

• Upvote 3

mccarthy would be a good hire.  oh i suppose everyone is wanting the next parcells or bellichicken but those guys aren't available and the the new kids like mcvay and lynn still have a lot to prove.  mccarthy may demand more in terms of pay and contract term but he is still young enough to be coach for 5 years+.  the only downside is he has already been a head coach of a successful program for quite some time and that has to have taken some of his desire to coach hard.  if he's still up to the task then the jets should get this guy.