Jump to content

McCarthy interested in Jets


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

If six division titles is not making it work, sign me up.

 

37 minutes ago, Pac said:

He kinda did make it work tho.

 

36 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He went to the playoffs 9 years out of 12, and won a Superbowl.

I'll take that kind of meh.

 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Couldn't make it work"

65743-green-bay-packers-head-coach-mike-

Then why is he looking for a job right now? Playoffs 9 out of 12 years and 6 division titles but only one super bowl. I’d say that’s not getting it done. You all just have a very low bar. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s “McVay”

Well if the Jets really like him that much and feeling is mutual then make him an offer now instead letting him walk and interview elsewhere. 

Apparently they had a blast. Had dinner the night before, came in and had a interview, stayed a few hours afterwards.  Lol lock the guy up and let’s get this thing goin.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Not for nothing but I hope we don’t step away and are the ones who overpay if there is a bidding war for a good coach.  Doesn’t count against the cap so who cares. 

GM and Coach have to work as a unit for any kind of success and if one or the other feels they are being played it’s not a good start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

GM and Coach have to work as a unit for any kind of success and if one or the other feels they are being played it’s not a good start.

I hear ya but MAC is lucky to still have a job at this point and you bet he will want the best candidate for coach as any success will lead to ... dare I say it ... a new contract and a raise for himself. Ouch.  That hurt even to write that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

mccarthy would be a good hire.  oh i suppose everyone is wanting the next parcells or bellichicken but those guys aren't available and the the new kids like mcvay and lynn still have a lot to prove.  mccarthy may demand more in terms of pay and contract term but he is still young enough to be coach for 5 years+.  the only downside is he has already been a head coach of a successful program for quite some time and that has to have taken some of his desire to coach hard.  if he's still up to the task then the jets should get this guy.

We had both. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rangerous said:

bellichicken twice.  parcells should have stayed instead of running off to dallas.  then maybe something more permanent could've been built.

That WOULD have been nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect McCarthy announcement early this week and McCarthy will be IN CAMP by next weekend. Word here is that McCarthy wants to draft Jonah Williams (6’ 5” 300  - OT, ALABAMA) and Sign O Line Free Agents. Christopher Johnson has given MCCARTHY his full support. Maccagnan’s looking for strong edge rusher and wants to Draft  Josh Allen (6’ 5” 260 - Linebacker, KENTUCKY). McCarthy has final say - DID ANYONE WATCH THE COLTS O LINE DOMINATE THE HOUSTON TEXANS?  Jadevean who?  J.J. who?

The Johnsons will keep Maccagnan on the payroll, but he’s going to have to stay out of McCarthy’s way going forward. It’s McCarthy’s team now.

9BD9D21E-C5C8-4898-9A15-C9626F3C0059.jpeg

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Thank you. I was like WhoTF is McKay?  Only thought was John McKay from USC and TB but he's been dead for quite awhile.

never seen a board go on and on and on and on and on and on about a damned typo...

retards

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_Jet_Nation said:

Expect McCarthy announcement early this week and McCarthy will be IN CAMP by next weekend. Word here is that McCarthy wants to draft Jonah Williams (6’ 5” 300  - OT, ALABAMA) and Sign O Line Free Agents. Christopher Johnson has given MCCARTHY his full support. Maccagnan’s looking for strong edge rusher and wants to Draft  Josh Allen (6’ 5” 260 - Linebacker, KENTUCKY). McCarthy has final say - DID ANYONE WATCH THE COLTS O LINE DOMINATE THE HOUSTON TEXANS?  Jadevean who?  J.J. who?

The Johnsons will keep Maccagnan on the payroll, but he’s going to have to stay out of McCarthy’s way going forward. It’s McCarthy’s team now.

9BD9D21E-C5C8-4898-9A15-C9626F3C0059.jpeg

thats a first for me...seeing a poster who rep is in the red

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

"according to someone familiar with his thinking"

So who could this be and why would it be leaked? McCarthy is familiar with his thinking, obviously. His agent is. His wife. The Jets probably have some idea. Probably not a lot more people other than maybe some close friends.

Why would it be leaked? 

  • He or his agent would leak it for the purposes of negotiating leverage against another team.
  • His wife would have no reason.
  • His close friends maybe could have some financial gain if a reporter offered money for a scoop, but doubtful.
  • The Jets would leak it ... I'm having a hard time with that one. Good publicity? Doesn't really make much sense to me why the Jets would leak it. Maybe they just don't have any reason to not share there feeling and a reporter asked them, but if that were the case there'd be no reason to keep it as an anonymous "someone familiar with his thinking" source.

I think the most likely scenario here is his agent is leaking this information as a negotiating tactic to get the most money out of another team. I hate to say it because I think he's the best candidate but that's what this seems like to me.

 

It's clear to me the Jets are dead set on interviewing all of their coaching candidates and they should be that way because this is a huge hire. As a Jets fan I like McCarthy the best, but I understand the Jets brass is going to be thorough in their search leaving no stone unturned. McCarthy is obviously interested in the Jets job or he wouldn't have interviewed here. For him I believe it's between the Jets and the Browns, and nobody else. The Jets will not come off desperate and get tunnel vision for McCarthy. That would be lazy of them.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

never seen a board go on and on and on and on and on and on about a damned typo...

retards

You really should capitalize the first letter of each sentence.  Just trying to help...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_Jet_Nation said:

Expect McCarthy announcement early this week and McCarthy will be IN CAMP by next weekend. Word here is that McCarthy wants to draft Jonah Williams (6’ 5” 300  - OT, ALABAMA) and Sign O Line Free Agents. Christopher Johnson has given MCCARTHY his full support. Maccagnan’s looking for strong edge rusher and wants to Draft  Josh Allen (6’ 5” 260 - Linebacker, KENTUCKY). McCarthy has final say - DID ANYONE WATCH THE COLTS O LINE DOMINATE THE HOUSTON TEXANS?  Jadevean who?  J.J. who?

The Johnsons will keep Maccagnan on the payroll, but he’s going to have to stay out of McCarthy’s way going forward. It’s McCarthy’s team now.

9BD9D21E-C5C8-4898-9A15-C9626F3C0059.jpeg

If this were true I would be very bullish on the future of this franchise.  I haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Give Darnold time and few solid targets and this team can be dangerous.  O-Line, O-Line and more O-Line...

Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS just said McCarthy isn’t expected to take jets job and he will likely sit out the year...

boomer couldn’t believe it and said his radio show will have angry jets fans calling in... so who knows. Last night he stayed late and is interested in the job. 10 hours later he isn’t and will sit out

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I still say no one has stated anything concrete about why McCarthy would be a successful coach here other than he was successful before and he is not a first time HC. It's like this board is so traumatized by our last few first time head coaches that the only thing they care about is hiring a retread.

Traumatized? Just need a change from what has been:  Al Groh, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, to Todd Bowles.  First time General Managers in Tannebaum, Idzik and McCagnan.  While I was excited by all of those names at the time, the results have been the same.

McCarthy's experiences with game management intrigues me over the other first timers we are looking at.

While all of these threads give us something to talk about and debate I will support and watch the game every week whoever we hire.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Go figure, the CBS pre-game now reporting that McCarthy is heavily considering sitting out the year, and likely wouldn't take the Jets job.  Such conflicting announcements might lend some credence to those suggesting these are some negotiation moves happening here.

Also worth noting, they cited Matt Rhule as one of the Jets' top candidates.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, usanyj said:

CBS just said McCarthy isn’t expected to take jets job and he will likely sit out the year...

boomer couldn’t believe it and said his radio show will have angry jets fans calling in... so who knows. Last night he stayed late and is interested in the job. 10 hours later he isn’t and will sit out

That could be the simple truth or just negotiating through the media as the jets leave to interview other candidates 

I'm losing interest in the other candidates as I look more into them 

The idea of Mccarthy going to the Browns and making them a winner is not pleasant 

If it's over money or other stupid crap this fanbase will turn their backs 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike McCarthy is the Sam Darnold choice of all the candidates we've read about the Jets will or wanted to interview thus far. 

Kliff Kingsbury is the Baker Mayfield choice.

Matt Rhule is the Josh Allen choice.

Kris Richard is the Josh Rosen choice.

Eric Bieniemy is the Lamar Jackson choice.

Todd Monken is the Mason Rudolph choice.

I want McCarthy.

What about Gase?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYDreamer said:

Traumatized? Just need a change from what has been:  Al Groh, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, to Todd Bowles.  First time General Managers in Tannebaum, Idzik and McCagnan.  While I was excited by all of those names at the time, the results have been the same.

McCarthy's experiences with game management intrigues me over the other first timers we are looking at.

While all of these threads give us something to talk about and debate I will support and watch the game every week whoever we hire.

 

I will root for McCarthy to be successful if hired. I dont see it unless Darnold becomes so good he overcomes the coaching he will get. I bet you that historically first time head coaches are actually more successful than retreads. But at worst there is no predictor either way. We just chose poorly. It's like if we are playing poker and went all in with Queens against one other player and lost five times in a row, so you say Ill never call down an all in with Queens again. It just faulty logic. Just because first timers failed before doesnt mean the next first time will fail, or that a retread has better chance of success.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Larz said:

That could be the simple truth or just negotiating through the media as the jets leave to interview other candidates 

I'm losing interest in the other candidates as I look more into them 

The idea of Mccarthy going to the Browns and making them a winner is not pleasant 

If it's over money or other stupid crap this fanbase will turn their backs 

Weren’t there “reports” that the jets were willing to pay any price for “their” head coach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually that makes no sense.  I'm not bitching, have no clue what youre talking about.

Yeah, but you were talking to a person who makes about as much sense as a rock. I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different... 😉

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I will root for McCarthy to be successful if hired. I dont see it unless Darnold becomes so good he overcomes the coaching he will get. I bet you that historically first time head coaches are actually more successful than retreads. But at worst there is no predictor either way. We just chose poorly. It's like if we are playing poker and went all in with Queens against one other player and lost five times in a row, so you say Ill never call down an all in with Queens again. It just faulty logic. Just because first timers failed before doesnt mean the next first time will fail, or that a retread has better chance of success.

Without a doubt, but we also did not have patience with a first time guy like Pete Carrol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Go figure, the CBS pre-game now reporting that McCarthy is heavily considering sitting out the year, and likely wouldn't take the Jets job.  Such conflicting announcements might lend some credence to those suggesting these are some negotiation moves happening here.

Also worth noting, they cited Matt Rhule as one of the Jets' top candidates.

Matt Rhule is my backup candidate

If McCarthy is not interested than move on from him NOW!!!!

We want a coach who wants to be here!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike McCarthy is the Sam Darnold choice of all the candidates we've read about the Jets will or wanted to interview thus far. 

Kliff Kingsbury is the Baker Mayfield choice.

Matt Rhule is the Josh Allen choice.

Kris Richard is the Josh Rosen choice.

Eric Bieniemy is the Lamar Jackson choice.

Todd Monken is the Mason Rudolph choice.

I want McCarthy.

If this is true, sign me up for Kingsbury... I'm feeling dangerous! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Go figure, the CBS pre-game now reporting that McCarthy is heavily considering sitting out the year, and likely wouldn't take the Jets job.  Such conflicting announcements might lend some credence to those suggesting these are some negotiation moves happening here.

Also worth noting, they cited Matt Rhule as one of the Jets' top candidates.

Did they say that on the air?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

List for me the Super Bowl winning coaches who after being fired went on to win a Super Bowl with their next team? Shouldn’t take long to compile that list. 

Show me the list of Super Bowl winners the Jets are talking to other than McCarthy?

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...