La Canfora: ‘I’m told’ McCarthy not expected to take Jets job

BroadwayRay

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true, then it is his loss.  Maybe his wife/family don't want the NJ lifestyle.  Maybe he wants to wait another year until Maccagnan gets fired.  Whatever it is, it doesn't matter.  I won't be shedding any tears.  

It’s getting to the point where you can’t believe any of these reports. Positive or negative. 

Yesterday he stayed longer than his interview, was interested and intrigued by the job, and all the reporters felt he would land here

10 hours later he is sitting out the year. Weather men and women and “beat writers”. Best jobs in the world. Paid to be wrong and when you are wrong you just say there was an eleventh hour change that wasn’t foreseen. Jokes.

Just now, Paradis said:

Not that i'm pulling for McCarthy, but La Confora is probably the most unreliable of the major network "insiders"

I think Rappaport is the single most unreliable one out there.  I usually think LaConforta is more reliable.

Just now, usanyj said:

It’s getting to the point where you can’t believe any of these reports. Positive or negative. 

Yesterday he stayed longer than his interview, was interested and intrigued by the job, and all the reporters felt he would land here

10 hours later he is sitting out the year. Weather men and women and “beat writers”. Best jobs in the world. Paid to be wrong and when you are wrong you just say there was an eleventh hour change that wasn’t foreseen. Jokes.

My guess is the reports we're accurate...

but when they got down to $$$ they are likely too far apart to get anything done.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

If he has to be squeezed, I don't want him.

It's business 

My main concern is that maccagnan has a track record of finishing 2nd place with expensive high end talent like Khalil Mack and kirk cousins because of price 

If the leaks start coming that Mccarthy stayed late to iron out a deal with the jets and Maccagan balked on money and he goes to the Browns it could be a disaster 

Who will rhule hire as a staff compared to Mccarthy? 

My prediction yesterday was that no news by 10 o'clock would be a bad sign and now I really don't feel great 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have no problem with a guy trying to make the most money he can - nothing wrong with negotiating.

I'm not anti-McCarthy, but I want someone who really wants to be here. Honestly I'm not qualified to say how good or bad Matt Rhule is as I'm not familiar enough with him. He could be the greatest thing since sliced bread or he may not, I don't know.  Im in favor of letting the process play out and interview as many candidates as possible and then decide.

1 minute ago, AL047 said:

If he does sit out the season, what teams are going to be looking for a new head next year? 
I am also curious as to why, he wants to sit out the season?

Probably burned out from coaching. 

Hard to imagine he'd have no interest in Browns/Jets. How many teams have a better QB situation going forward?

but when they got down to $$$ they are likely too far apart to get anything done.

I doubt that very much. There is more to support the jets are willing to pay up than the opposite.

I’m not sure why this narrative continues.
If mccarthy is there guy and he wants to come, money will not be an issue.

That said, I would fully expect there to be a negotiation. That’s just standard practice.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agent doing agent things 

Since he only has one other interview, his best leverage is sitting out, it squeezes both teams 

Yea - we don't go from "people familiar with his thinking" saying he's interested to "taking the season off" in less than 24 hours without some shenanigans in play. Either is possible but probably not both.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe, but there were reports when the Jim Harbaugh rumor came out that the jets would pay any price to get their coach. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea - we don't go from "people familiar with his thinking" saying he's interested to "taking the season off" in less than 24 hours without some shenanigans in play. Either is possible but probably not both.

It's likely that after the agent leak about the positive interest in the jets job the Browns called and told him not to sign until they get a Crack at him. 

There is also just some simple truth that he might take a year off and the jets like rhule 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

It's likely that after the agent leak about the positive interest in the jets job the Browns called and told him not to sign until they get a Crack at him. 

There is also just some simple truth that he might take a year off and the jets like rhule 

All possible but why is he even interviewing if he wants to take a year off? If it's just a matter of hearing what people have to say, why leak this between interviews instead of after? It just doesn't add up for me.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

All possible but why is he even interviewing if he wants to take a year off? If it's just a matter of hearing what people have to say, why leak this between interviews instead of after? It just doesn't add up for me.

McCarthy to sit out a year........after he has an interview with the Browns in 3 days.

Report seems odd. I agree.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

It's business 

My main concern is that maccagnan has a track record of finishing 2nd place with expensive high end talent like Khalil Mack and kirk cousins because of price 

If the leaks start coming that Mccarthy stayed late to iron out a deal with the jets and Maccagan balked on money and he goes to the Browns it could be a disaster 

Who will rhule hire as a staff compared to Mccarthy? 

My prediction yesterday was that no news by 10 o'clock would be a bad sign and now I really don't feel great 

Johnson decides on the HC compensation, not Mac. The HC reports directly to the owner.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

For the record -- the narrative that "McCarthy is considering taking a year off" existed long before this, and was floating around in december. 

Archived