La Canfora: ‘I’m told’ McCarthy not expected to take Jets job

BroadwayRay

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All possible but why is he even interviewing if he wants to take a year off? If it's just a matter of hearing what people have to say, why leak this between interviews instead of after? It just doesn't add up for me.

Very very good post!!

15 minutes ago, AL047 said:

If he does sit out the season, what teams are going to be looking for a new head next year? 
I am also curious as to why, he wants to sit out the season?

to wait for a better job with a better organization with a better overall foundation...not rocket science here folks.  We ARE the Jets.

33 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If true then oh well on to the next....

As Belichick would say, "We're moving on to Matt Rhule."

Quite honestly, this would be better news than losing a coach of this caliber to another team (which might still happen).  But if McCarthy isn't going to take the Jets job because he's not planning to coach anywhere in 2019 then no harm, no foul.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

All possible but why is he even interviewing if he wants to take a year off? If it's just a matter of hearing what people have to say, why leak this between interviews instead of after? It just doesn't add up for me.

It's a delicate balance. Like buying a car you can't say that you love the car and have to have it, and you can't say that it's crap and you would never buy it 

It's best to say there is some good and bad but you just aren't sure yet..... 

We'll know soon enough but this reads like classic negotiations through the media to me 

Mccarthys weak spot is he only took 2 interviews. He needs to create a little more urgency in case the Browns and jets like other people 

It is entirely possible that neither job blows him away and he sits out 

The ravens situation is worth watching as well 

Harbaugh benched a healthy Flacco for Jackson. It's possible that if Jackson throws 2 picks and fumbles that the extension we heard about doesn't happen 

Nobody has been hired yet

I think the first domino falls Tuesday 

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

True but why would it resurface between interviews? 

who knows what's inspiring this now -- but it's not crazy to imagine McCarthy and his agent telling teams "Look guys, Mike leaning towards regrouping for a year, spend some time with family. Not going to say not flat out "no"...but just being honest" 

The other part could easily be that whatever the "power structure" is being pitched by MM & CJ isn't quite the fit for Mike, or They've been honest about waiting to meet Rhule for example and Mike isn't feeling it... So rather than "decline" the job outright, leak the story that you're still taking a year off.

Just now, Paradis said:

who knows what's inspiring this now -- but it's not crazy to imagine McCarthy and his agent telling teams "Look guys, Mike leaning towards regrouping for a year, spend some time with family. Not going to say not flat out "no"...but just being honest" 

The other part could easily be that whatever the "power structure" is being pitched by MM & CJ isn't quite the fit for Mike, or They've been honest about waiting to meet Rhule for example and Mike isn't feeling it... So rather than "decline" the job outright, leak the story that you're still taking a year off.

It’s like breaking up with a chick by telling her you have a terminal disease.

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Johnson decides on the HC compensation, not Mac. The HC reports directly to the owner.

Fine blame Chris, the substitute teacher 

Google Chris. What business has he ever run? 

Like his brother he relies on others for everything 

He signs the contract others negotiate 

Just now, T0mShane said:

It’s like breaking up with a chick by telling her you have a terminal disease.

Actually, true. I worked a little bit with hollywood once upon a time as a screenwriter, and you'd be surprised how much importance agents place on being publicly perceived to have turned down the offer, over being turned down to hire. Different industry, similar PR tactics 

This all could be the Jets just want to perform there due diligence  and interview  the others. MM's agent may have floated this as something to make it look as of they are in the drivers seat. 

I know it seems like an alternate reality when the Jets act responsible  but that might just be what we are seeing

This is also why you cast a wide net.  Imagine if the Jets were laser-focused on McCarthy and were not scheduling other interviews....then this news breaks.  It would be pure panic around here.

There are lots of good candidates out there.  There can only be 32 head coaches in the NFL, no more, and I'd guess there are at least 80-100 guys in this country (college head coaches, NFL coordinators, etc.) that truly deserve a shot.  Some guys seemingly come out of nowhere when you least expect it and become very good head coaches.

If MM is truly off the list then I'd think the Jets top 3 are Kris Richard, Kliff Kingsbury (despite reports), and Adam Gase.  I would hope Matt Rhule ends up in the mix.  I also think Caldwell is still in there.  It's wide open now.

The guy who I think could end up being the best.....Adam Gase.  I heard a radio interview yesterday morning where the question to an NFL analyst was, "Why was Adam Gase fired?" and the analyst said, "Purely about some control and power, and whether Miami should rebuild or try to win with veterans and some FA moves.  I think Miami is going to have big regrets about firing Gase.  There could be a strong case of 'sellers remorse' there and hindsight could prove that it was the wrong decision."

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Always a good sign when you interview a coach and he decides on the spot to remain unemployed instead

always a good sign when you believe every single thing that you read by NFL "people in the know".  

If he's not interested it could be because of these things:

1) How many years he wants to coach the Jets

2) He wants to be involved in the selecting of players (Draft and Free Agency) with the GM

3) Even though they have QB Darnold,, he sees the Jets as a project and doesn't want to rebuild

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Definitely not crazy it's just the conflicting reports within 24 hours that seem like he's trying to drive the price up. First it's reported he's interested then boom he's taking a year off.

Archived